PDA

View Full Version : Meat Grinders

ElPietro
04-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Just wondering if these things are worth the spend. For those of you that have them, is there a good use for them in adhering to a decent diet? I know IceRgrrl uses it to grind up venison and make her bambi burgers and bambi sausages. I unfortunately, don't hunt at all so won't have some steady supply of dead deer. Just wondering if it's a money saver, or better diet wise. I can see where you could make better, more healthy sausage without any filler, but would you just be buying sh!tty cuts of beef and pork or whatever? Just wondering if one of these is worth the splurge. I am primarily a meat eater, and if there is a new way to eat it, or make it better or more healthy that would be cool.

the doc
04-04-2003, 12:06 PM
well man i would buy a manual one with the big wheel and such. I like using mine for dead deer, but it also works for dead cows and such.

Personally i like grinding meat. It makes really interesting sounds when your doing it

Do you have a deep freezer?

ElPietro
04-04-2003, 12:46 PM
I have a mid size freezer. Just wondering at the economics or usefullness of this. Was thinking that once I get into my house, I will probably barbecue quite often, and if having a meat grinder means that I can do this more economically, or more healthy, or whatever other reasons it may be worth the investment. It's only $100 for one with a 150 watt motor, so it wouldn't be breaking the bank.

Behemoth
04-04-2003, 01:34 PM
You can get a little manual one for abotu $30. I ground up about 20-30 pounds of venison in about a half hour, so it's really not that bad.

While we're on the subject I get to go deer hunting tomorrow! Hooray for deer damaged farmers crops!:clap:

bradley
04-04-2003, 01:53 PM
You could make some good lean hamburger meat, instead of paying more for it at the supermarket.

the doc
04-04-2003, 02:30 PM
my manual one is nice, and only costs about 50 USD

Tryska
04-07-2003, 08:50 AM
a meat grinder will also help you dispose of those bodies you have stored in your uhhh..i've said too much.

ElPietro
04-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
..i've said too much.

Yes, yes you have. Now come here little girl. :evillaugh

Tryska
04-07-2003, 09:51 AM
not wile you have that axe in your hand....

IceRgrrl
04-07-2003, 10:46 AM
The meat grinder that I have is an attachment for the KitchenAid heavy duty stand mixer and is powered by its 400W motor. It grinds anything in a short amount of time.

Any kind of meat grinder is good to have if you're going to be shooting/buying game or buying meat in bulk/relatively unprocessed form (like getting a cow quarter from a local farmer) and/or you're going to be making sausage on a semi-regular basis. Otherwise it may just become one of those kitchen appliances that gets used once or twice and then takes up space in the back corner of a cupboard somewhere.

If you DO decide to get one, maybe look for a multi-function one that also does some food processor-type stuff or has a pasta-maker attachment or something like that so it serves several purposes.

ElPietro
04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
The meat grinder that I have is an attachment for the KitchenAid heavy duty stand mixer and is powered by its 400W motor.

Originally posted by IceRgrrl
It grinds anything in a short amount of time.

:eek:

In summary, don't f*ck with IceRgrrl! :hide:

Man, I just watched Red Dragon last night too. :(