PDA

View Full Version : water retention

The Icon27
04-04-2003, 03:23 PM
FYI-I'm currently cutting and weigh 226 (previously 252) at around 13% BF...

I feel like a woman bloated all the time...in the morning when I first wake up I am looking good the abs are starting to come in nicely and the chest is looking solid...but then I look in the mirror before I go to bed and I look like I retained about 10 gallons of water during the day. Do you have any idea why this could be happening? I try to cut back on sodium...here is a sample diet:

6:00 - oatmeal and 6 eggs (3 yolks) ~ 600 cals 50 prots

9:00 - Protein shake ~ 400 cals 60 prots

12:00 - 8 oz turkey, 2 pieces wheat bread, cheese, milk ~ 600 cals 60 prots

3:00 - cottage cheese, yogurt, apple ~ 400 cals 30 prots

3:45 - TRAIN

6:00 - MRP w/natty PB or Flax oil ~ 600 cals 60 prots

9:00 - tuna or cottage cheese ~ 250 cals 30 prots

daily total is around 2850 and 280

I was thinking about taking a ECA stack just to flush the water out of my system during the day...do you think this would work?

Ironman8
04-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, it's probably the protein that's making you bloated.

Vido
04-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Is the cottage cheese or tuna the "no-salt added" kind? If not, both of those food items contain a fair amount of sodium. If it is deli turkey you are eating, that's another possible culprit, as well as the bread.

bradley
04-04-2003, 04:14 PM
How much water are you drinking per day? Might want to try and drink more water. Along with the items Vido mentioned, some brands of natural peanut butter contain a fair amount of sodium. Increasing your fluid intake would probably help. Adding an ECA would probably help as caffeine is a diuretic.

Well, it's probably the protein that's making you bloated.

:confused:

Ironman8
04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Well, it's probably my body, but when I eat/drink alot of protein, I get bloated. Especially after eating cereal.

bradley
04-04-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Well, it's probably my body, but when I eat/drink alot of protein, I get bloated. Especially after eating cereal.

Just curious but are you eating high protein cereal?

bradley
04-04-2003, 04:27 PM
I was reading through some old threads and according to Yates excess protein would help relieve water retention.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5236&highlight=water+retention

Ironman8
04-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Well, the cereal the usually eat is corn flakes and wheaties. I usually eat it in a 6 cup bowl. But I think it's the milk that makes me bloat.

Berserker
04-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Ironman-I though you said when eating high protein?

Ironman8
04-05-2003, 05:29 PM
What I meant was when I eat/drink something high protein.

Behemoth
04-05-2003, 08:58 PM
the 10 grams of protein from the milk on the cereal is high?

Ironman8
04-06-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Behemoth
the 10 grams of protein from the milk on the cereal is high?

Well, I eat a big bowl equivalent to 6 cups. So that about 60 grams of protein. Plus the wheaties, which has 6 grams of protein each 1 half cup, would equal about 36 grams of protein. Plus I have a bagal with alot of cream cheese.

Vido
04-06-2003, 01:48 AM
The protein from Wheaties, bagels, and cream cheese should not be counted towards your daily goal of 1 g per lb of bodyweight or whatever it may be. They are incomplete proteins with terribly low biological values.

Mystic Eric
04-06-2003, 03:23 AM

Well, I eat a big bowl equivalent to 6 cups. So that about 60 grams of protein. Plus the wheaties, which has 6 grams of protein each 1 half cup, would equal about 36 grams of protein. Plus I have a bagal with alot of cream cheese.

Oh.... my... god.... :bang:

aka23
04-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Well, the cereal the usually eat is corn flakes and wheaties. I usually eat it in a 6 cup bowl. But I think it's the milk that makes me bloat.

I agree that it is likely the milk or calories that is making you feel bloated, rather that the protein. Common symptoms of both lactose intolerance and milk allergy include bloating. As many as 60 million Americans may be lactose interlorant. This is especially common among certain ethnic groups such as African Americans, American Indians, Asian Americans. Millions of other people are not lactose intolerant, but would run into problems with large quantities of dairy products. I am in this second group, and feel bloated and have other symptoms if I have more than about 2 cups milk per meal. Milk is also a very common food allergy. It is probably the most common food allergy for Americans.

Another possibilty is the large amount of calories and large amount of calories from high GI carbs. The meal you described would likely have well over 1000 calories and a good amount of high GI carbs that can make you feel full quickly. However, I suspect you are either overestimating the amount of milk or underestimating the amount of cereal since most people eat cereal in a ratio of about 1 cup cereal and 1/2 cup milk. Following this ratio 4 cups cereal and 2 cups milk would fit in a 6 cup bowl (ignoring absorbition). This ratio would produce fewer calories and less milk than used in my earlier estimate.

aka23
04-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Vido
The protein from Wheaties, bagels, and cream cheese should not be counted towards your daily goal of 1 g per lb of bodyweight or whatever it may be. They are incomplete proteins with terribly low biological values.

I count all protein towards my daily goals, whether it comes from complete sources or incomplete sources. When milk is consumed with cereal, much of the incomplete protein in the cereals combines with the complete proteins in the milk. I think that a person who consumes a balanced diet with a good amount of protein from both complete and incomplete sources does not need to worry about completeness of proteins. It is true that a larger portion of the protein from complete sources is usually utilized, but it is not enough such that incomplete proteins should be ignored.

I also disagree about the "terribly low biological values." The biological value for beef protein is 74.3. The biological value for whole wheat protein is 64. I do not cosider this to be a huge difference or a "terribly low" value.

Vido
04-06-2003, 09:51 PM
We've had this discussion/argument before aka23, and all I am saying is that if I am trying to maximize muscle growth I'd prefer to be getting my protein from sources like chicken, turkey, beef, eggs, cottage cheese, whey, etc.

I quite frankly find it ridiculous that Ironman is having cereal and a bagel for breakfast and this somehow adds to over 100 grams of protein.

Finally, you managed to pick the animal protein with one of the lowest biological values for your comparison, and even so, it is still over 10 points higher on the scale. I consider this quite significant.

Severed Ties
04-07-2003, 12:09 AM
From looking at what you eat I would suspect the dairy. Milk in particular has a "smoothing" effect on the skin. It's probably the first thing you see dissapear near competition time.

Also keep in mind food moves through the intestines very slowly so by the end of the day most people tend to look bloated around the waist from the buildup of feedings throughout the day. Also explains why people look the leanest in the morning.

ST

arjun
04-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Milk has a smoothing effect on your skin and it dissapears around compitition time? Am i just overtired or uneducated in this matter. What do you mean exactly?

Also, do you think the intestines move slower in the actual night or just before you go to sleep. Cause i have been nocturnal for quite a while now, and i tend to have my last meal at around 4 in the morning every night, and my first in the day around 2pm.

Severed Ties
04-07-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm referring to when people prep for bodybuilding shows. You don't have to be the biggest to win if you come into the show the dryest. Different foods seem to have certain effects on skin texture, Milk and dairy in general is known for smoothing definition by making skin appear thicker. Weather is is a result of insulin, lactose, or some other factor I'm not sure.

I imagine food would move at a constant rate or perhaps quicker during sleep due to lack of movement and the horizontal position of the body.

ST

PaulB
04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
heh sounds like me, ill goto sleep around 3 and wake up at noon, eat my first meal between 2-4pm :P

bradley
04-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by PaulB
heh sounds like me, ill goto sleep around 3 and wake up at noon, eat my first meal between 2-4pm :P

Why wait so long to have your first meal? You have gone nine hours without food. Even if you are not hungry it would be beneficial to get a small amount of food in your system when you first wake up.