PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get more info on Adkins. What is good/bad about it

Bishop
04-05-2003, 08:58 AM
I keep hearing all these things about the Adkins diet and was wondering what is so good about it and also the negative effects of it.

Thanks

Ironman8
04-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I really don't see why the Atkins diet is so good. Most of the weight you loose is glycogen and water weight. Are you planning to lift? If you are, you will need carbohydrates. It's the primary fuel for weightlifting.

If you want to lose weight, just reduce calories and excercise hard. Easy as that.

Berserker
04-05-2003, 09:53 AM
If your lifting Atkins probably isn't the best diet. I disagree that it is all water weight though. I did it for about 2 weeks when I wasn't lifting lost about 7lbs.

bradley
04-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I really don't see why the Atkins diet is so good. Most of the weight you loose is glycogen and water weight. Are you planning to lift? If you are, you will need carbohydrates. It's the primary fuel for weightlifting.

You are correct in that the initial weight loss is water but you can lose fat following this type of diet. With that being said, if you are in a caloric deficit you will lose weight whether you are following a more balanced diet or something like the Atkin's diet.

As the others have mentioned the lack of carbs will hinder your workouts which is the main drawback to the Atkin's diet. If you want to try a ketogenic diet then I would recommend something like a cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD) or a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD). There are articles on the WBB main page about the CKD and also an article about the drawbacks of performing a low carb diet. You can also run a search on TKD or CKD in the diet and nurtition forums and pull up a lot of helpful info.

Ironman8
04-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Another effective excercise against fat loss it HIIT. Check out the sticky on the training board.

bradley
04-06-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Another effective excercise against fat loss it HIIT. Check out the sticky on the training board.

If you are going to be performing a ketogenic diet then HIIT would not be ideal because of the lack of muscle glycogen. If performing a ketogenic diet moderate intensity cardio would be better IMO.