PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good diet plan?

SoulOfKoRea
04-05-2003, 12:05 PM
I've been using it for about a month now, I see my lower abs a bit and my upper abs are looking great, but I'd really like to get rid of that fat on my lower 2 packs, so I also started HIIT outdoor running/jogging/walking, I weight train on Mon/Wed/Fri, weight 135 lbs, and I drink a lot of water from 3:00pm - 8:00pm

remember - I'm 16 and I go to school so it might be a little hard to get all the food in during the 6 hours there

Wake up: 6:05(am) - Drink glass of water and a glass of OJ with 1000 mg vit c pill and a centrum multivitamin pill, eat 2 bowls of cereal with skim milk

10:45 ish - eat a small snack before team sports, usually something like a nutri-grain bar, or cereal bar

12:20 ish - eat lunch, either nachos with cheese, beef, and sauce + a burrito if it's a training day, or something from the regular lunch bar like chicken/rice/pretzel

2:30-2:45 depending on when I get home, eat 2 packs of yogurt, drink a protein shake with skim milk

post-workout (usually 4pm) - drink protein shake with water

6:00-7:00 depending on how late everyone comes home- dinner, usually eat bowl of rice, with meat entree and salad, noodles or something

8:00pm- drink protein shake with skim milk, eat some peaches

Is this diet gonna work for me? am I getting enough carbs/proteins/fats? too much? remember, I'm trying to stay as lean as possible while gaining, I'm going to attempt my first bulking cycle the beginning of next Oct-Dec, and then cut from January - March

Ironman8
04-05-2003, 12:44 PM
I think you need more healthier fats in your diet (peanuts, flax, fish oil, etc.). Add a natural peanut butter sandwich to your breakfast. Snack on some peanuts throughout the day. Are you taking fish oil supplements?

Scythian_Blade
04-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Bump on Ironman, you need more healthy fat in your diet in place of many of the carbohydrates.

You also need a complete protein source at each meal. Some examples are lean beef, chicken, eggs, turkey, lowfat cottage cheese, and fish like salmon and tunafish. Do not use processed deli type meats and the like.

For clean fats use: Extra virgin olive oil and mixed nuts for monounsaturates and omega 6's. Flax oil and fish oil for omega 3 polyunsaturates. Keep saturated fat intake clean and at most 30% of total fat intake. I like small amounts of coconut oil and butter.

Carb sources: Oatmeal, yams, occasional brown rice...not much else for active carbohydrates. Your diet is really carbohydrate based. This would halt many peoples progress while cutting. Consume all the fibrous vegetables you want. Examples are broccoli, cauliflower and any kind of leaf like spinach, different varieties of lettuce etc. Peppers are good too.

Go for at least 1 gram complete protein per pound of bodyweight per day. Drink at least 1 gallon of water every day.

Mystic Eric
04-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
I've been using it for about a month now, I see my lower abs a bit and my upper abs are looking great, but I'd really like to get rid of that fat on my lower 2 packs, so I also started HIIT outdoor running/jogging/walking, I weight train on Mon/Wed/Fri, weight 135 lbs, and I drink a lot of water from 3:00pm - 8:00pm

remember - I'm 16 and I go to school so it might be a little hard to get all the food in during the 6 hours there

Wake up: 6:05(am) - Drink glass of water and a glass of OJ with 1000 mg vit c pill and a centrum multivitamin pill, eat 2 bowls of cereal with skim milk

10:45 ish - eat a small snack before team sports, usually something like a nutri-grain bar, or cereal bar

12:20 ish - eat lunch, either nachos with cheese, beef, and sauce + a burrito if it's a training day, or something from the regular lunch bar like chicken/rice/pretzel

2:30-2:45 depending on when I get home, eat 2 packs of yogurt, drink a protein shake with skim milk

post-workout (usually 4pm) - drink protein shake with water

6:00-7:00 depending on how late everyone comes home- dinner, usually eat bowl of rice, with meat entree and salad, noodles or something

8:00pm- drink protein shake with skim milk, eat some peaches

Is this diet gonna work for me? am I getting enough carbs/proteins/fats? too much? remember, I'm trying to stay as lean as possible while gaining, I'm going to attempt my first bulking cycle the beginning of next Oct-Dec, and then cut from January - March

Well I'll tell you this much, you're not gonna get rid of the little bit of fat in your stomach if you're trying to gain muscle. Putting on a decent amount of muscle while staying super lean is just not happening.

After your workout, you need a quick carb source. Something like dextrose. Having just a protein shake alone post workout is pointless. What time do you go to bed? 8 pm as your last meal is probably too early.

I think you need more protein in your breakfast. I don't know how many cals you're taking in a day and the macro break down so you're gonna have to calculate it yourself. Although I would say you need to eat more by just eye balling your diet but since you're 135, you don't have to eat a ridiculous amount of cals.

Fluid
04-05-2003, 09:40 PM
06:05AM: Drop the cereal, have some eggs, oatmeal and whole wheat toast. Your breakfast has way too much sugar.

10:45AM: You need something better here; protein and slow digesting carbohydrates. Granola bars are garbage.

12:20PM: Bring your own lunch. The one you're describing is terrible for you. Bring a chicken breast, tuna or natural peanut butter sandwhich. If you combine your tuna w/ mayo and olive oil or have peanut butter sandwhich you can bring your fat intake up, which you are lacking in.

02:30PM: Have a better pre-workout meal. Have 20-40 grams of protein along with 20-40 grams of slow digesting carbohydrates 60-90 minutes before your workout.

Post-workout: Where are the simple carbohydrates? They're essential to the recovery process. Insulin pulls the body out of catabolism, starts anabolism, increases GH ( post-workout only ), allows the release of IGF-1 ( post-workout only, in presence of insulin and GH simultaneously ).

6:00PM: I'm assuming this is dinner w/ the family, not much you can do there.

8:00PM: Drop all carbohydrates before bed, they inhibit the release of GH; 75% of which is released in the first 90 minutes of sleep! Change the whey protein to a slower digesting protein, add EFAs and fiber.

OVERAL: Way too many simple carbohydrates, some meals are lacking protein, your good fat intake is non-existant, your diet is severely lacking in fiber. This diet is terrible if you're trying to stay as lean as possible while gaining LBM.

Fluid

gopher
04-06-2003, 12:37 AM
OVERAL: Way too many simple carbohydrates, some meals are lacking protein, your good fat intake is non-existant, your diet is severely lacking in fiber. This diet is terrible if you're trying to stay as lean as possible while gaining LBM.
:thumbup:

Vido
04-06-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Fluid
Drop all carbohydrates before bed, they inhibit the release of GH

I've never heard of this before. Would you care to elaborate...

Ironman8
04-06-2003, 01:26 AM
06:05AM: Drop the cereal, have some eggs, oatmeal and whole wheat toast. Your breakfast has way too much sugar.

10:45AM: You need something better here; protein and slow digesting carbohydrates. Granola bars are garbage.

Add some natty peanut butter to that toast. Also, as I said in my current poast, you can snack on some peanuts for your 10:45 snack.

SoulOfKoRea
04-06-2003, 12:39 PM
alright thanks guys, should I go for unsalted peanuts or like a can of mixed unsalted nuts? what kind of peanut butter, I'm guessing not JIF or that Peter Pan brand? eggs I'm assuming I should broil them for breakfast, lunch I can get that covered if I know what kind of peanut butter, dinner I can reduce portion size to limit the carbs from the rice or noodles, and before bed snack I'm not sure what I should be eating then

Vido
04-06-2003, 01:14 PM
I think unsalted almonds would be the best choice if you're going to go with nuts.

As far as peanut butter goes, get any kind that is natural. This means there will be a bunch of oil sitting on the top of the jar when you open it and you have to mix it all around. Try to get a no-salt added natural peanut butter as well, to reduce daily sodium intake.

You don't have to boil the eggs, but this could be the easiest and healthiest (because you're not frying them in butter or anything) alternative. You could also scramble them in a non-stick pan.

Before bed, cottage cheese is an excellent source of slow-releasing protein. Try to get the no-salt added kind yet again.

SoulOfKoRea
04-06-2003, 02:02 PM
okay thanks vido, going food shopping tuesday, :clap:

aka23
04-06-2003, 03:07 PM
Drop all carbohydrates before bed, they inhibit the release of GH

Originally posted by Vido
I've never heard of this before. Would you care to elaborate...

Growth hormone is related to a number of physical changes including increased muscle and reduced fat. It is typically released during deep sleep, after exercise, and at a few seemingly random times throughout the day. Some studies suggest that growth hormone release is reduced when there is high blood suger. Other studies suggest that having meals containing carbs and protein benefits growth hormone release.

I am skeptical whenever I hear about these types of extreme dietary changes, such as eliminating a macronutrient. I think that eliminating all carbohydrates is taking things too far and would do more harm than good (for other reasons besides GH release). I suspect that it would be more benficial to include some fibrous, low GI carbs that are not associated with large blood sugar changes, as well protein and fat. However, I have not seen any related studies to back this up.

Some things that are known to increase growth hormone are:
--Getting a good amount of quality sleep
--Exercise, especially anaerobic exercise such as HIIT and weightraining
--Having a lower body fat
--Not having high blood sugar
--Not being in extreme stress or pain

Vido
04-06-2003, 04:50 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea to drop carbs before bed, depending on why you are doing it. If you're doing it to promote the release of GH, then you need to re-think your idea because changes in diet have an extremely minimal effect on its release. The only way you are going to alter your GH DRAMATICALLY (note small changes can be seen by doing what aka23 suggested), is by injecting exogenous GH.

That being said, I know it may be a myth, but I have always had more success by eating my carbohydrates earlier in the day, and switching to protein and fats later at night. This is from a bodyfat standpoint, and has been argued many times on this site. I'm not saying I am right, only that I have found it to work for me.

Fluid
04-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Insuin inhibits the release of GH, 75% of which is released during sleep.

It is typically released during deep sleep, after exercise, and at a few seemingly random times throughout the day. Some studies suggest that growth hormone release is reduced when there is high blood suger. Other studies suggest that having meals containing carbs and protein benefits growth hormone release
True true... The reason some studies sugest that GH is released after a high carbohydrate meal is that insulin released post-workout actually INCREASES GH's release! Also, it releases IGF-1, which is ONLY RELEASE IN PRESENSE OF INSULIN AND GH ! This is one time we do not want to **** up (post-workout).

OVERALL:
post-workout + GH + insulin = more GH, IGF-1 = awesome!
any other time + GH + insulin = no GH

Cut your carbohydrates before bed!!

PowerManDL
04-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Don't bother trying to manipulate GH with diet.

Its seriously not worth the effort.