PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Chili

ryan1117
04-06-2003, 12:14 PM
Maybe this has been out for awhile, but Hormel makes this canned chili that uses Turkey instead of Beef. At first this didn't sound good to me, but I can't really tell the difference in taste. The good thing is that it carries 46g of protein per 380 calories. It is a nice way to get a quick source of protein that you can just put in the microwave. Plus it is sort of like being able to eat a type of food that is considered a junk food, but is actually a great bodybuilding food.

Vido
04-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Beware of the ungodly amounts of sodium in all canned products. I wouldn't include this as a staple in my diet.

MrWebb78
04-06-2003, 01:27 PM
vido nailed it, it has more than a whole days worth of sodium, and thats just one meal.

ryan1117
04-06-2003, 03:12 PM
You're right. I checked the label and one can contains 104% of the daily value for sodium. I wish there would be more foods that you could quickly prepare without being overloaded with sodium or saturated fat.

bradley
04-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by ryan1117
You're right. I checked the label and one can contains 104% of the daily value for sodium. I wish there would be more foods that you could quickly prepare without being overloaded with sodium or saturated fat.

You could make up a big pot of homemade chile and store it in the fridge for the upcoming week.

Ironman8
04-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Bradley, do you have a chile ingredient :)

Vido
04-06-2003, 07:29 PM
I think he means recipe :D

Ironman8
04-06-2003, 07:51 PM
LOL! Man, this flu is making me stupid :bang:

bradley
04-07-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Bradley, do you have a chile ingredient :)

Although I do not make chili very often when I do I just follow a recipe out of one of the cookbooks I have hear at the house. The main thing I do is use no salt added ingredients (tomato paste, canned tomatoes, etc) and lean ground beef (96% lean). This cuts down on the salt and fat content of the chili. I would also recommend using dried beans and preparing them beforehand that way you do not have to use the canned beans, which I have yet to find any that are no salt added.

If you are interested in the recipe I will see if I can find the one I used last time.

Ironman8
04-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Although I do not make chili very often when I do I just follow a recipe out of one of the cookbooks I have hear at the house. The main thing I do is use no salt added ingredients (tomato paste, canned tomatoes, etc) and lean ground beef (96% lean). This cuts down on the salt and fat content of the chili. I would also recommend using dried beans and preparing them beforehand that way you do not have to use the canned beans, which I have yet to find any that are no salt added.

If you are interested in the recipe I will see if I can find the one I used last time.

Cool, thanks. Don't worry about posting the recipe, I just look around the internet. Thanks for the info!

Tiare
04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Chilli is easy.
1 to 2 lb ground turkey. Or cubed turkey or pork or chicken. you're choice.
1 can kidney beans and/or 1 can chilli beans. Use at least 1 can of beans of some sort.
1 large can crushed tomato's. 2 cans if you want and it's cheap.
1/2 large onion, diced or cubed
any combination of the following: green peppers, red peppers, any other peppers that you like.

Season the meat with chilli powder, a little paprika, some pepper, a touch of sugar, some garlic and the onion while it browns, you may need to add some water and/or oil. Add oil and/or water if necessary (just so there is some liquid in the bottom of the pan), reduce heat, add peppers and cook low temp (2 or 3) for about 10 minutes before adding the tomato (when you add the tomato, make sure to mix it up and get everything off the bottom of the pan with a spatula) and draining and adding the beans. Cook for about 15 minutes then add some water and cover and cook until you are really hungry. Start eating. If it's too watery, cook it with the lid off, if it's too thick, put the lid back on and add some water. Should make about 10 healthy servings. Add water if you want.

Turkey chilli gives me the nastiest gas you've ever smelled!

Ritzol
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
When you use turkey it's really hard to taste the difference. My mom uses turkey in everything.... no beef... hardly ever.