PDA

View Full Version : sunflower seeds

PaulB
04-07-2003, 10:53 AM
lately with my "starvation diet" ive been eating alot of sunflower seeds and drinking alot of carbonated flavored water. the water having no calories/sugars/anything. and the seeds i can spend 20 minutes eating them without eating more than 100 calories. plus almost all the fat is good fat. so if your looking for a very very light meal/snack then you should check them out.

raniali
04-07-2003, 11:08 AM
thx - i'll remember this small tip next time i am trying to starve myself.

MrWebb78
04-07-2003, 11:10 AM
might wanna do some research on consuming too much poly-fat

PaulB
04-07-2003, 11:23 AM
ugh, mebbe i should switch to pumpkin seeds

Ironman8
04-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Umm... what's your "starvation diet"? You know, starving yourself ruins your metabolism and eats away at your muscles, right?

PaulB
04-07-2003, 11:50 AM
1700 cals, for a 176lb 6 foot small framed person.

doing a deficiant of 200-300 cals a day is rediculous in my opinion.

Vido
04-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Ridiculous in that your metabolism won't slow to a complete halt or ridiculous in the fact that you have a better chance of keeping the weight off after you finish your diet? :D

WillKuenzel
04-07-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by PaulB
1700 cals, for a 176lb 6 foot small framed person.

doing a deficiant of 200-300 cals a day is rediculous in my opinion. I find it ridiculous that you are still trying this "starvation diet" after seeing many others on this site lose weight, feel better, and keep almost all of their muscle while eating almost twice as much as you do.

Check out BennetBoy's journal. He is eating alot more than you, cutting for a contest and looks incredible at 180ish. Is he starving himself? Absolutely not!! You keep wondering why you aren't seeing strength gains nor your fat come off. Have you thought it might be because you haven't listened to anybody on this site yet and took the good advice that was given.

Reminds me of someone else who visited this place for a while.

Berserker
04-07-2003, 02:58 PM
I am by no means on a starvation diet. Is there any benefits to sunflowers seeds? Anything good in them? I just noticed a couple weeks ago there really isn't that much fat, mostly shell. I enjoy them, mostly when drinking. Seem like a decent snack. Though alot of salt. I was gonna look for reduced salt. I've actually rinsed them off. I know it sounds weird. I am not afraid of salt, but don't want a ton, atleast time of year.

Ironman8
04-07-2003, 03:13 PM
Sunflower seeds have mono and poly unsaturated fats. This helps your heart.

Ritzol
04-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Omg.. I love sunflower seeds.

i dunno what kind you're eating.... like a bird? lol

But the kind I eat have 180 cals/ oz.... so not sure where the less than 100 is ocming from.

PaulB
04-08-2003, 12:08 AM
david's jalapeno hot salsa sunflower seeds. 1/4 cup has 190 calories and it takes about 20 minutes to eat that many, cuz i suck off all the flavor stuff first. i called it starvation diet, because when i mentioned having a deficit of 500 cals someone said im starving myself. ive been messing around alot with my diet, for the past 4 months, and having my caloric intake of 2300 which would be about right i thought for someone my size, was way to much. i was doing a clean bulk, didnt even lose a pound. still havnt infact. so starting about a week ago i dropped my calories down to AROUND 1700. i figure if i was doing a super clean bulk, then minus 300 calories would give me maintnence and minus another 300 should give me a decent but SLOW cut. hell if i drink a beer or have a burger ive screwed my cut up for that day (thats why i find -200 calories rediculus). and i do listen to what everyone tells me and i love seeing everyones advice, i just dont as easily accept things that im told unless ive tried it. i feel great about my diet, and im still gaining great (posted something about that in my journal last night) my results are coming along good, even if they are slow. i dont care if i lose a some muscle, id just like to get down to 6% body fat or so and do a clean bulk.

MrWebb78
04-08-2003, 12:15 AM
an excess of polyunsaturated fat is toxic to the immune system and stimulates cancer growth in experimental animals and may also provoke gall stones in human beings.

PaulB
04-08-2003, 12:17 AM
yes but think of all the other things people eat that have polysaturated fat :P
i tried to find some pumpkin seeds today but to no avail, i guess i have to keep looking. id hate to pass a gall stone :*(

MrWebb78
04-08-2003, 12:25 AM
im not saying avoid it by any means. it is definately healthy, my point is that sunflower seeds are LOADED with it, and too much can be a problem, thats why ya gotta be careful.

bradley
04-08-2003, 03:06 AM
i was doing a clean bulk, didnt even lose a pound. still havnt infact. so starting about a week ago i dropped my calories down to AROUND 1700. i figure if i was doing a super clean bulk, then minus 300 calories would give me maintnence and minus another 300 should give me a decent but SLOW cut.

I am just confused as to what your goals are. You say that you are doing a clean bulk, but you haven't gained any weight yet you are cutting calories:confused:

bradley
04-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
an excess of polyunsaturated fat is toxic to the immune system and stimulates cancer growth in experimental animals and may also provoke gall stones in human beings.

Is this because of the susceptibility of poly fats to be oxidized by exposure to light, oxygen, and heat therefore creating free radicals in the body?

PaulB
04-08-2003, 03:19 AM
i felt i was doing a clean bulk, 4 months ago i started off as 182lbs and ive never dropped below 176lbs even though ive lost bf. to me thats adding muscle and losing fat, so a lean bulk. :-/ not sure if that makes sense, ive been trying to geto the point where i lose bodyweight regardless if its muscle or fat. and im hoping its around 1700 calories because i dont know if can stand eating less than i do already.

bradley
04-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Since you were new to training this could have very well happened.

ive been trying to geto the point where i lose bodyweight regardless if its muscle or fat.

I would put preserving LBM as one of my top priorities when cutting. When you lose LBM you will have to eat even less because your body will need less cals and when you come off the diet you will be more likely to gain weight, hence the whole yo-yo dieting concept.

Mystic Eric
04-08-2003, 03:40 AM
PaulB, I'm not trying to be mean or anything and I'm gonna say this to help you. I think you should look into some counselling. It seems that you have a problem with bulemia as you mentioned in the other thread about throwing up foods you eat. Now you say that you're on this starvation diet and want to get to a really low body fat.

Ironman8
04-08-2003, 07:37 AM
Ya, Paul B., it really sounds like you're anorexic. You want to loose weight weather it's bodyfat or muscle? Do you know how you're gonna look like?

Ritzol
04-08-2003, 10:08 AM
lmfao... u eat the seeds one at a time? First of all they're tiny..... that'd be like tearing the fibers off an orange segment... omg..

It takes me like 20 seconds to eat 1/4 cup... I'm a quick bunny.

Ritzol
04-08-2003, 10:11 AM
oh and I just want to say that y'all lecturing isn't going to help. It's only going to piss him off like it did me. It's something one has to realize for themselves..... and REALLY WANT to change.

I always knew I was ****ed up, but it took me awhile to actually care.

MrWebb78
04-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Is this because of the susceptibility of poly fats to be oxidized by exposure to light, oxygen, and heat therefore creating free radicals in the body?

uhhhh...

lol im not about to pretend i know WHY, its just something ive read from numerous sources, i dont think ive ever read reasons why, just that thats a side effect

PaulB
04-08-2003, 12:06 PM
pfft, im not anorexic. when i first started lifting my goal was to lose weight. so every 3 weeks or so i was dropping my calories trying to find a point where i was losing around a 1lb every week. thought thats what i was supposed to be doing? at 2300 i was staying at 176lbs so i dropped it down to 1700 cals figuring if 2300 was lean bulk then 1700 would be a slow cut. the only time ive ever puked up food on purpose was back in high school right before id weigh in. that was mebbe once or twice because i never had problems controling my diet back when others depended on me. the other thread was just to see if anyone did that stuff. my goal since i started lifting was to drop down to 6-7% body fat.

Vido
04-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by PaulB
pfft, im not anorexic. when i first started lifting my goal was to lose weight. so every 3 weeks or so i was dropping my calories trying to find a point where i was losing around a 1lb every week. thought thats what i was supposed to be doing? at 2300 i was staying at 176lbs so i dropped it down to 1700 cals figuring if 2300 was lean bulk then 1700 would be a slow cut. the only time ive ever puked up food on purpose was back in high school right before id weigh in. that was mebbe once or twice because i never had problems controling my diet back when others depended on me. the other thread was just to see if anyone did that stuff. my goal since i started lifting was to drop down to 6-7% body fat.

I hate to knock anyone's goals man, but I just don't see the point in going that low. If you're not a naturally lean guy, chances are you won't get that low in the first place, and if you do, you're going to have to work far too hard to maintain it. Something like 12% looks pretty good imo, why don't you try to set a goal that you have a higher liklihood of achieving?

I know I'm coming off as a real ass here, but not only would you be miserable at all the effort you'd have to put in to stay at that bodyfat, but you'd also look like a stick. I'm only pointing this out because I don't think people think things through. (This is merely a generalization, so it may not apply to you PaulB, but from what I've seen it happens a lot). People see a ripped guy on TV or in a mag, or even in person, and think "Wow, I want to look like that". The only problem is that chances are that guy was naturally lean and wouldn't gain much fat if he lived off pizza and beer, or he was a LOT bigger and then cut down to look like that. IMO, if you want to look good when you're cut, you have to be a big guy already. If you go on a crazy cut when you're average-sized, then you just end up being small, albeit ripped. If that's what you're going for then by all means go right ahead. I just think some people (whether this is you or not PaulB) need to step back and look at the big picture before starting a hardcore diet.

MrWebb78
04-08-2003, 01:40 PM
if you have more muscle you wont need such a low BF% to appear lean.

Berserker
04-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Vido-has a good point, if your not naturally lean, its gonna take alot of work to be that low. Though that doesn't mean you have to stay that way. Cut down, just to see if you can and how you would look. Maybe concide with an event or vacation. I don't think your gonna want to stay that low. But if you manage to, more power to you.

Ironman8
04-08-2003, 07:04 PM
PaulB., 176Ibs. is still a healthy weight to build muscle and look lean. IMO, don't try to lose. Just try to turn the fat in muscle :thumbup:

MrWebb78
04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
you cant turn fat into muscle, its physically impossible

SoulOfKoRea
04-08-2003, 07:56 PM
sunflower seeds are ACE