PDA

View Full Version : MonStar's Return to Westside

MonStar
04-08-2003, 10:42 AM

NOTE: I talked to a few MODs about this, and I am going to have a new Westside journal. Not the OLD one, or my bodybuilding split journal. So please, no one SPAM or MESS with this thread at all. Thank you.

After putting MUCH thought into this. And talking to a lot of different people---I have decided to return to Westside.

I am going to correct every single mistake that I made on it before, and make sure that this time around, its a LOT more fun. I think I am really really going to enjoy it this time around. I talked to Saturday Fever a good bit about how I am going to make it more fun, and even get better results on it than I did before.

The biggest thing that made me want to go back to Westside was simply how many people told me again and again. "You have gotten so much bigger the past few months, etc. etc." And I had done nothing but Westside the past few months. So this really made me stop and think, wow, Westside worked extremely well for me. My split this time around is going to be as follows:

M---Rest
T---ME Squat/Deadlift
W---Rest
T---ME Bench
F---Rest
S---DE Squat/Deadlift
S---DE Bench

Pretty straight forward, again.

Again guys, please no useless negative posts. I appreciate it.

Neil
04-08-2003, 11:03 AM
Good luck Monstar. Someday I will try Westside, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Sheik
04-08-2003, 11:44 AM
WOW, what a big change Monstar!
As long as you hit the weights as hard as you always do....
YOU WILL GROW!
p.s. I just finished my 5's in my first HST program and luv it!

MonStar
04-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Neil: Thanks a lot for the support man, really really appreciate it a lot. I really hope that everyone supports my return to Westside. I am going to modify a few things as you guys know. From example including HST principles, etc. These are all modifications that I feel will really benefit me. So well see what happens.

Sheik: Thanks for the kind words man, appreciate it. Yeah man you know that Ill be going friggin' heavy. Shooting for a 565 lbs. deadlift tonight. Wish me luck man! 555 lbs. was friggin' torture, rep was extremely slow, etc. Well see what happens with 565. Hopefully all goes well.

ericg
04-08-2003, 11:48 AM
Good luck with WS Mike.

I think you had some excelent results with the program.

So does this mean that you may try a PL meet some day?

ryan1117
04-08-2003, 11:57 AM
Well, congrats on journal number 17!:)

I probably would benefit from westside since I'm more interested in powerlifting, but I guess I don't since I enjoy the bodybuilding routines. I'm sure it is a matter of time before I eventually give it a try though. With how your lifts improved on your last westside, I wouldn't be surprised if you are up with some of the strongest on this site within the next few months. Good luck.

Alke
04-08-2003, 12:46 PM
Hey monstar! good luck with your new westside routines, I know you musta put a lot of thought into how you want to proceed with your routines.......I know you will get good results whatever you decide on. I only just started reaading your journals the last 6 weeks that I been a memeber, but I must say you always give 110%, so good luck bro'!

I been thinking about my own routines and will be changing to something with less volume after this particular 5 week session.

I'm still reading a lot on westside as well and am watching how you do the routines to help me get a better understanding of it before I try anything with it:)

MonStar
04-08-2003, 07:11 PM
eric: Thanks a lot for the support man, really really appreciate it. Yeah youre exactly right, I did have some awesome results on Westside. And that is the biggest reason that I am coming back to it. I have heard again and again and again from guys that the past few months I got so much bigger, bla bla bla. That really told me something. My strength has also shot WAY up on Westside. So thats obviously a good sign. I am not sure about a meet. I am really leaning towards no. But hey, I cant say what will happen 6 months from now.

ryan: I do think that I will gain a lot of strength the next 6 months or so. I really hope to be up to par with Narc's rows or Belial and mason's strength in the next 6 months to a year. I definitely think that a 600-615 lbs. deadlift is in my sight maybe by mid-summer. Well see what happens. Chris Morris, VERY experienced powerlifter from my gym said that if I am pulling 565 after only 4 months of deadlifting, I should be mid-600s in no time. So who knows. I feel extremely strong on deadlifts. Bench not as much, squats not as much. I really think that in the next 6 months or so like I said my deadlift will really take off. Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it.

Kenn: Thanks a lot for the kind words Kenn, I really really appreciate it. Yeah, I do put a lot of thought into my training. More than you guys know, lol. Most of the time just trying to optimize my genetic potential which I really think I am doing with Westside. I am telling you Kenn if you really want to up your size and strength Westside is the way to go. I was under the impression for the longest time that Westside was all strength and no size, damn was I mistaken.

MonStar
04-08-2003, 07:12 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: luna bar
Meal 3: hot pocket, powdered donut, 1% milk
Meal 4: isopure protein shake
Meal 5: box macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Preworkout: 25 mg. ephedrine hcl, 2 Zantrex-3
During Workout: 20 oz. Gatorade + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine + 1/2 tsp. salt
Postworkout: 1 serving whey protein, 1 serving Cell-Tech, 200 mg. r-ALA
Meal 9: skim milk

Estimated Calories: ~3500

Training---ME Squat/Deadlift

Deadlifts:

135 x 3, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 405 x 2, 565 x 1!

WOW, very very happy with my strength here today. :D:D I havnt been this pleased with my deadlifts in a long, long, time. I SMOKED 565. And I mean I f*cking smoked it. Worked myself up to 565 with some lighter sets. Got really pissed, really focused, and just pulled hard. I guarantee Ill have 6 plates in no friggin' time. Ill probably test my max again during the beginning of May, and shoot for 6 plates. Maybe have a guy snap a pic or 2, we'll see. Anyway, 565 really wasnt bad at all. I am not going to say the rep was fast, but the bar speed was not slow AT ALL the way 555 was. Anyway, I was happy.

I want to note that I wore wrestling shoes, and that I trained around 7:30 PM, after a full day's worth of calories.

Leg Presses:

20 Plates x 6!, 18 Plates x 8, 16 Plates x 8

Some damn good sets of leg presses today. Used 20 plates for my first set, OUCH! This is just so much damn weight. I cant even start to imagine how sore my friggin' thighs are going to be tomorrow. Anyway, 18 plates for 8 was hard, and finally 16 plates for 8 was also a b*tch. My overall thoughts of leg presses are good. I HATE loading the f*cking thing up though, takes so much time.

Hyperextensions:

75 x 5 (3)

Some good sets of hypers today. Blasted my lower back and hamstrings and glutes completely. Really really good sets here today. Not much to say here, lower back was fried from the DLs, so this was just torture. Nice sets though.

Seated Calf Raises:

4 Plates + 70 lbs. x 15 (4)

Some good sets of seated calf raises today, I was very pleased with my strength here. Used four 45s, and two 35s. Hit up 4 sets of 15 reps. Calves were really getting a hell of a good burn and everything like that. Would like to see my calves gain a good 1/2-1" in the next few months. Not sure it will happen though, lol.

Nautilus Crunches:

Stack x 5 (2), 200 x 8

Some good sets of Nautilus crunches today, really pleased with my ab contractions here. Nice way to finish up my workout I think. Hit my midsection hard. Used the entire stack for 2 sets of 5---OW! Good sets.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 55 minutes
Sleep: 7 hours
Weight: 225 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today at all actually, which is pretty damn nice.

General Comments

Really happy about my strength today in the gym. Overall workout was EXCELLENT. Anyway, today I missed class because I slept in my contacts and my right eye got extremely bloodshot. Had to get an eye-drop perscription, etc. Oh well. Tried to get a Prelude muffler/exhaust tips welded on my Accord, couldnt do it. I was pretty pissed, but oh well. Anyway, really really glad to be back on Westside actually. Had a GREAT time at the gym tonight. Strength was right on, intensity and all that was excellent too.

Spent a good while tonight talking to my gym's strongest powerlifter, Chris Morris. The guy pulled mid-700s, benches mid-400s, just an all around powerhouse. He's trying to convince me to compete. I was saying that I dont really workout for any kind of competition, etc. He was just going on and on about how a 19-year old that can lift this much shouldnt let it go to waste, etc. I dont know, I am not really into competition for some reason. Well see what happens.

Sheik
04-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Awesome lift man!
I might have to consider going to the "Westside" in the fall.
I really don't stay all that dedicated in the summer months. :(

DK
04-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Good job on the deadlift man. I don't think my leg press could hold that many plates though.

Hercule
04-08-2003, 07:44 PM
LoL, make up your mind man! Heehee, jus messin. You really were seein awesome results with westside. I am also going to start westside. After this week, I am going to take a week off and then start it, my GHR should be in by then. I am really hoping for some good results.

MonStar
04-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Sheik: Yeah man I really think that you should go for Westside in the fall, youll really really like it if you ask me. Your strength will probably shoot WAY up, along with some good size gains as well. As long as youre eating enough. Trust me man, I was so damn happy after pulling 565, you have no idea. It just felt very good. Not like 555. When I pulled 555 I didnt think I was going to pull anymore than that for a VERY long time. Bar went so damn slow it was unbelievable. 565, though, somehow, wasnt too bad.

dkliewer: Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was extremely pleased with my deadlift today. Damn. I am sure that you leg press could hold that many plates, mine holds that many with a LOT of room to spare. Its 10 plates on each side, and then there is the top thing that can hold even more plates, lol.

Hercule: Yeah man, I just thought about it and what good results I got on Westside, and had to come back to this program. I really like a bodybuilding split, but I am going to juggle things around with Westside and really make it more enjoyable. Good luck with Westside man, I am looking forward to seeing how you do with it.

Neil
04-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Man, that's killer dead. I'm like a few hundred pounds away from that. Have you ever done them with a narrow stance?

MonStar
04-08-2003, 10:00 PM
Neil: Thanks for the support man, really appreciate it a ton. I was extremely pleased with my 565 pull tonight. I couldnt even believe it after I did it. LOL, I had to check to make sure that it was 565---it seriously felt like I left a plate off. Anyway, like I have said, I think Ill own 6 plates in no time. I have never really pulled with conventional. I dont plan to either, I feel very strong with a sumo stance, I have no reason to switch to conventional.

YoBrickWall
04-09-2003, 05:25 AM
great job on the d.l.... after my show i plan to work up to 550. i also want 6 plates and will get it,someday.

loading the leg press i know what u mean. i usually find two suckers that are just standing around. funny thing is ther proud u ask them when u know yo using them.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 06:32 AM
YoBrickWall: Thanks a lot for the kind words YBW, appreciate it man. Good luck with your show and good luck getting up to a 550 lbs. pull. I really want 6 plates, damn that is going to be an awesome f*ckin'' feeling. I cant wait to hit 6 plates. I actually might shoot for 575 first. I was thinking and I dont think that a 20 lbs. increase is the best idea after all. 5 or 10 lbs. is more reasonable. Anyway man, thanks for chiming in.

YoBrickWall
04-09-2003, 08:16 AM
no problem. when lifting weights its always hard to decide which way to go but in the end as long as u go up yo happy.

this summer lil greg(300lbs) comes home for break im gonna change my reps to 6,6,4,2. since he's a big boy and strong itll push me.
right now im at 175 and 4%. im gonna get back to 200 and 10% hoping to get to 220 get stronger but want to stay in the 10% area. dunno but will let u know.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 03:21 PM
YoBrickWall: Yeah man, I really think that you should bulk up. No reason to be a 175 lbs. and 4% bodyfat unless youre competiting. I cant imagine your strength being too great at 175 and such a low % of bodyfat. I dont know, just my personal opinion. Anyway man, it will be nice to see how much strength you gain on Westside. Personally, I think that the strength gains especially were just nuts. In around 3.5 months I had added 100 lbs. to my deadlift, and a good 30 lbs. to my bench.

Saturday Fever
04-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Often times, just doing things right will lead to great gains. That's why I am such an advocate of Westside. It wasn't just something some guys thought up and started marketing. It's based on lots of solid science. And I think the results speak for themselves.

Likewise I think a lot of the problems people encounter are because they want to do "bodybuilding" routines, but they want to be natural. That's a complete contradiction. Bodybuilders aren't natural. And if they are serious and natural, it never lasts. That's not a putdown, either. Simply that bodybuilders tend to go nowhere with "bodybuilding". They may see strength increases, however minimal, but their "bodybuilding" efforts go for naught. Then the serious guys switch to steroids, which is more or less a paved way to "bodybuilding."

For a natural lifter, the hardest thing to believe is that to get big naturally, you have to have fat. And the bigger you get, the more fat you have to have, and there's really no way around it. Of course with the fat gains, the "cut" look goes away and people, rather than believe the truth, tend to try the latest "routine" or drug.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Saturday Fever: Youre absolutely right about your opinion on bodybuilding SF. If youre not willing to go the anabolics route, you mine as well stop wasting your time. No one will ever make it all that far in bodybuilding without dabbing in the juice. And from what I have encountered just in my small experience with bodybuilders, a minor cycle isnt going to cut it. I also agree to an extent that for a natural lifter to get big, you must gain SOME fat. I do NOT, however agree with what you said here:

And the bigger you get, the more fat you have to have, and there's really no way around it.

I do think that some fat must be added in addition to lean body mass. But I do not think you need to gain 50 lbs. of fat to gain 50 lbs. of muscle. At least not in my personal experience. The times in which I gained a lot of fat I was eating FAR too many calories, and I didnt gain an appreciable amount of LBM at all. On Westside I would say that I gained a good 10 lbs. or so, and not much of that was fat at all. Again, I am just speaking from my own personal experience.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 04:32 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 2 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender
Meal 3: pastrami & cheese sandwich, potato chips, iced tea
Meal 4: cheese pasta + tomato sauce, 2% milk
Meal 5: 2% milk
Meal 6: brownie, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~4000

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Training Length: N/A.
Sleep: 8 hours
Weight: N/A.
Pain/Soreness: Leg soreness is really starting to set in as the day goes on. Nothing TOO bad just yet, which is nice.

General Comments

Really glad to be back on Westside. I am trying to overcome whatever form of OCD I have. And whatever other psychological problems that I have. I am going to try hard to STICK with Westside, and not let any kind of obsession throw off my focus. I know that it is what works for me, so there is no reason I should change from this program. If for some reason I come to a HUGE stagnation, and just start completely hating the workouts, then I might try and modify things ON Westside, not just drop it like I did last time. Stupid mistake.

Saturday Fever
04-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I didn't say the ratio of fat:muscle was 1:1. Simply that you cannot get bigger without gaining fat. It's a fact. You can't gain 30lbs of muscle and not gain any fat. A lot of people will say you can and that I'm full of ****. My response to them would be to say "OK, name one natural person that has, ever." And they won't be able to answer.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Saturday Fever: Oh yeah, I COMPLETELY agree with you there SF. It is inevitable for someone to gain muscle, and be natural, theyre going to gain some fat too. Thats just common sense to me, I cant see why anyone would argue against that. I am under the belief though that how much fat you gain is a variable. For example if youre just taking in enough food/calories to slowly gain weight, I dont think you would gain as much bodyfat as someone who pigged out excessively and added 20 lbs. in a week.

AlexR
04-09-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't think the pics you take with your web-cam do enough justice for you. In the back pose for instance, the lightening hides many of your cuts, such as the heads of triceps in your arms. You should get someone with a digital camera to take picture of you outside. I'm sure people here will be much more impressed with your development.

Alke
04-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Hey monstar! nice lifts man! 565 is awesome! I dont know how you do it, I just did 300 for a partial and cant imagine what 565 must feel like...it's reading about lifts like yours and others here that keep me motivated lately!

I was thinking of switching to sumo style deadlift, since I am so freakin' tall and its a long way up using a conventional deadlift form. Since I am bodybuilding though, is it better to stick with conventional style for overall back development, or should I switch to sumo style? I know if I switch I will be using more weight, which means something will have to grow regardless.......

To Saturday Fever, I dont know about your comment of gaining LBM without gaining fat, I just gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks with no BF increase, course this here BF machine they have at the "Y" could be wrong, but either way I have been pretty anal about my diet the last 8 weeks and got great results eating small meals every 2 hours.....Im not saying will will keep up, Im sure by the time I gain 30lbs on this bulk my BF will increase somewhere along the line no matter how anal I get about my food intake LOL

Saturday Fever
04-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Your body uses fat to transport testosterone. Testosterone makes muscles grow. Without a reliable form of transportation, how can any of this happen? And your body knows this.

Saturday Fever
04-09-2003, 05:17 PM
Kenn, you'll gain bodyfat if you haven't already. The gains are exponential. The more you gain...well, the more you gain. :)

And going sumo won't get in the way of bodybuilding. Not at all.

Isaac Wilkins
04-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Kenn

To Saturday Fever, I dont know about your comment of gaining LBM without gaining fat, I just gained 10 lbs in 8 weeks with no BF increase, course this here BF machine they have at the "Y" could be wrong, but either way I have been pretty anal about my diet the last 8 weeks and got great results eating small meals every 2 hours.....Im not saying will will keep up, Im sure by the time I gain 30lbs on this bulk my BF will increase somewhere along the line no matter how anal I get about my food intake LOL

Kenn, did your bf percentage stay the same? If so, then you did gain some fat.

200 pounds at 20% bf = 40 pounds of fat.

210 pounds at 20% bf = 42 pounds of fat.

8 pounds of lean gained.

Either way, a very good job. However, it supports SF's argument that some fat must be gained for an appreciable bulk.

MonStar
04-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Alex: Thanks for the kind words man, I dont know. I mean my webcam is ONLY a webcam its not like digital camera at all. I wish it was, haha. Because youre exactly right I would be able to get better lighting, etc. I try to take my pics during the day with the window completely open. That way all the sunlight shines through or whatever. I am going to get some more progress pics up towards to end of April. Well see what happens I guess. Thanks for posting man, appreciate it.

Kenn: Thanks for the support man. I totally think that you should go sumo-style. Especially if youre taller man, its inevitable. I switched to sumo style and I will NEVER go back to conventional. I felt conventional in my lower back a lot, and just didnt care for it at all. Sumo I feel in my lower back still, but a lot of glutes and hips and all that as well. I just feel so much stronger pulling sumo. There's no way I could hit 565 conventional. At least I dont think.

Saturday Fever: Agreed. Also, going sumo will definitely not get in the way of bodybuilding. Youll pull more weight I think.

Borris: I agree, some fat will be gained no matter what. There is no way around that if youre natural.

Alke
04-09-2003, 05:31 PM
AHHH I see = so even though the percentage is the same, this percentage is based on my new weight.

So when the percentage was 6.6% at my previous weight (174), that percentage still increased (exponentially) based on my new weight 184 and 6.6% at 184 is still a gain in BF (even though the numbers are the same).

Did that make sense?

pagan058
04-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Real nice deadlift strength man!

YoBrickWall
04-09-2003, 09:08 PM
monstar- i agree im tired of competing in b.b. and plan to stay natural. before dieting i carried a 200 at 10%. after getting back up there i dont plan on going back down.
i am a member of the a.a.p.f. since 98 i still hold all four state records in the 198 class of 40-44 and the yr 2001 i broke three of the four records in the 198 class of 45-49 yr olds and still holding them. i think i might go back in dec for the state record and rebreak my old one and get the fourth one.
let me do some reserach on westside and get back. also any info on it would help.
does westside have a chart on everyone lifts, totals,weight,age,etc..?

MonStar
04-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Kenn: Yeah I see what youre saying man. Its all good, what Borris and Saturday Fever are trying to bring to your attention is simply that no matter what, a natural bodybuilder is going to add some fat when he bulks up. I mean there is really no way around like. For instance you may have gained 2 lbs. with 8 lbs. lean. I on the other hand have a pretty slow metabolism so I might gain 4 lbs. of fat, and 8 lbs. lean. How much fat you gain to me is a variable. However, a natural bodybuilding will gain some fat.

pagan: Thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it a ton. 575 is my next goal, then I want 6 plates, BAD.

YoBrickWall: I agree that you should gain some weight, and some bodyfat back. 4% in my opinion is pretty damn unhealthy. Just what I think though. Yeah I would research Westside too if I were you, not jump into a program that I didnt know the first thing about. About Westside having a chart, I do not think so. At least from what I understand they do not have a chart. Check out www.elitefts.com for some information. If you click on articles and all that I believe there is a sample 9-week program if I am not mistaken.

Alex.V
04-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

I am not sure that Ill be up to par with Narc or a few others. But I do hope to get closer to Belial and mason.

:scratch:

WillKuenzel
04-10-2003, 09:27 AM
LOL

;)

MonStar
04-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Alex: My fault man, I didnt realize, AT ALL, that you and Narc were very close, or you were stronger than him, at all. My apologies B, I would have been insulted if I were you, lol. I actually just assumed from the BB rowing video with 405 that all of his lifts were extremely like that. Thanks for clearing it up man, and again, my fault. Here is the edit:

I really hope to be up to par with Narc's rows or Belial and mason's strength in the next 6 months to a year.

HomeYield: Haha, I didnt realize that Alex was as strong as he was to be completely honest. I am not sure why. After seeing Narc's BB rows I just figured he was towering over everyone on this site. Oh well, its all good.

Alex.V
04-10-2003, 11:59 AM
lol. We just have very, very different strengths.

MonStar
04-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Alex: Yeah, lol, I didnt realize that at all before. Damn. Its all good man. Makes me recognize how strong you really are just that much more. Keep it up man. Smoke 655 tonight!

MonStar
04-10-2003, 02:34 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: turkey & cheese sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: skim milk
Meal 6: 1 Wendy's small frosty, 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's 5-piece chicken tender
Meal 7: whole milk, 1 Taco Bell supreme beef gordita
Meal 8: 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~3500

Training---ME Bench

Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 2, 275 x 1, 335 x Miss, 330 x Miss

F*CK! :mad::mad: Damn was I pissed as f*cking hell today. What a godd*mn joke it was today in the gym. One of the WORST workouts I have ever had in my entire life. Just completely terrible. Missed 335 and 330 today, which is really friggin' ridiculous because I should have smoked at least one of them. Oh well. I am not going to test my max again for another month or so. So HOPEFULLY then Ill do good with 335. I failed with 330 about 4-5" before lockouts. That's purely triceps strength which is just f*cking pathetic.

Flat Dumbbell Flyes:

75 x 8 (2), 60 x 14

Good sets here I think, I dont know, whatever. Started off with the 75s for 2 sets of 8. Blasted my pecs hard. Dropped down to the 60s for 14 reps. Really enjoy going high reps on DB flyes. Pumps my pecs up like crazy!

JM Presses:

185 x 6, 135 x 8

Eh, not much to say here. Triceps somehow were really really tired at this point in my workout. Maybe from missing f*cking 330 and 335, I dont know. Whatever. Two good sets here today. Thats for sure.

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

50 x 6!, 40 x 8, 30 x 10

Some nice hard sets of laterals today. Started off with the 50s for 6 reps! New PB here for me. Reps were very slow, lol. The 50s are a helluva' lotta weight. Good slow negative too. 40s for 8 was also really painful. Trying to build some massive friggin' delts. 30s were just to finish up my workout.

Underhand Supported Rows:

5 Plates x 7!, 6 Plates x 3, 4 Plates x 11

Some good sets I guess. 5 plates for 7 was a new PB! Most I ever got with 5 plates was 5-6 reps. Nice lat contractions. 6 plates for a triple was okay, wish I coulda hit 4 reps. Finally 4 plates for 11 was tough. Nice back contractions with four 45s I think.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

80 x 6/6!, 60 x 8/8

Some damn good sets of crossbody hammer curls today. I was really pleased with my strength here today. Managed to hit 6 reps on each arm with the 80s. LOL, this sure does get some stares in my gym. I was next to a guy doing regular hammers with the 25s I think, or the 30s at the most, lol. Its all good. 60s for 8 reps on each arm really toasted my arms completely.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
Sleep: 8.5 hours
Weight: 222 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Not all that sore today. Thighs and all that are stiff but nothing too bad at all. I expected a LOT worse than this to be completely honest.

General Comments

Feel pretty damn good today I think. At least I THOUGHT I felt pretty good until I had a completely sh*tty overall workout today in the gym. 8.5 hours of friggin' sleep, some calories beforehand, I dont know what the hell my problem was today at all. Couldnt figure it out to save my friggin' life. Focus was just horrible today, and my intensity wasnt as high as it should have been for a MAX EFFORT bench day. Jeez. Oh well.

pagan058
04-10-2003, 02:47 PM
How do you stay at 220 with that diet bro. I dont see how you do it. TUNA IS GOD!!

Alke
04-10-2003, 04:48 PM
Hey Monstar! probably just gotta get back into the swing of things again........

BTW Those standing laterals were awesome! I gotta get wraps for mine, damn my weak wrist LOL (and no Im not limp wristed, just got a weakass right wrist for some reason)

I still want a supported row machine at my gym too!!!!!!

MonStar
04-10-2003, 05:17 PM
pagan: LOL, I couldnt tell you man. I eat pretty much, actually completely, whatever the hell I want. I try not too take in TOO much sugar. Although I usually end up taking in a ton no matter what. And I try not just eat crap like donuts and sh*t all day everyday. I try and mix it up a lot, lol. But as to why I dont gain a sh*tload of fat, I couldnt tell ya man.

Kenn: Thanks for the post man. I dont know what the hell happened with my bench today. I was PISSED I know that much, lol. Should have smoked one of the 2 max lifts. I wanted 335 bad, shame I didnt get it at all. Got about halfway up and... nothing. Anyway, yeah supported rows are friggin' awesome for your back man. That is probably my favorite back movement. Thanks again for the post. By the way, doing laterals with the 50s was TOUGH! My ROM was good with them, but towards the 5th and 6th reps I think I used some body English. Not like throwing my body or anything just going up on the balls of my feet if you know what I mean.

Xg74
04-10-2003, 05:28 PM
Your machine is sort of like a supported T-bar isn't it?

Look like a decent workout, looked intense. I'm sure that you will smoke 340 next time you max. ;)

Isaac Wilkins
04-10-2003, 05:29 PM
pagan: LOL, I couldnt tell you man. I eat pretty much, actually completely, whatever the hell I want. I try not too take in TOO much sugar. Although I usually end up taking in a ton no matter what. And I try not just eat crap like donuts and sh*t all day everyday. I try and mix it up a lot, lol. But as to why I dont gain a sh*tload of fat, I couldnt tell ya man.

Part of it is your natural metabolism. Looking at your pics, I'd guess that you're not naturally a big, chubby guy. You have a pretty fast metabolism, which gives you some leeway.

Other than that, you train like a bastard. You're a frequent trainer, and though I haven't seen you train, I'm guessing that you're quite intense. You do quite a fair number of sets, and you're not in the gym long. You work hard, plain and simple. That involves a fair number of calories,

Magnus
04-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by pagan058
How do you stay at 220 with that diet bro. I dont see how you do it.

Ummmm...Doesn't he mean how do you stay at 220 and not lose weight because you eat so little????

pagan058
04-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Thank you Magnus....thats what i meant...

Chris Rodgers
04-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Mon- nice pull

Kenn- for 'most' tall lifters conventional will work better wit your leverages. Most of us shorter guys fair better with sumo. That being said, I think you should train both to hit all the muscles and build strength in the hips with the sumo.

JustinASU
04-10-2003, 08:49 PM
MonStar, I like how the journal is coming along man. I want to say you are one STRONG mother****er. Very respectable lifts. You have inspired me to try Westside one day soon. Keep up the good, intense work and good luck bro!

MonStar
04-10-2003, 11:49 PM
Xg74: Hey man, yes, the supported row that I use is a lot like a t-bar row. Just a supported t-bar row actually. I am going to attach a pic that is the EXACT machine that I use. Paramount makes it, and quite honestly, its a tough a*s machine. I have never seen anyone in my gym use over 4 plates on it. Tears the hell out of my lats man. Anyway, I would LOVE to hit 340. Jeez. I just feel like lately my bench has been a real problem. Really going to be focusing on suspended bench, and lockouts a TON. I want 350 by mid-summer.

Borris: By nature, I dont have all that great of a metabolism man. Well, I dont know. I tend to be stocky by nature I think. Kind of stocky that is. I have always had very broad shoulders even before I started to workout. And about how I train, I generally train VERY intense. I get really really REALLY friggin' pissed when I workout. I dont really know why, I just do. Always have actually. Part of the fun for me, lol. The more angry I am in the gym, the better my workout is.

Magnus: Yup, lol.

pagan: Its all good man, I knew what you meant.

Latty: Hey thanks for the support man. 565 like I said was just extremely easy. Just a LOT easier than 555 somehow. I really want 6 plates. Hopefully everything will turn out okay with that. I am trying to decide if I should shoot for 585 or 575 next time I test my deadlift man. Still up in the air at this point. Havnt decided yet. I would hate to try 6 plates and miss it. Oh well, who knows.

Justin: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, really appreciate it. Yeah I really hope that this journal picks up the way that my other one did. I really am starting to get back into Westside now that I am back on it. I really think that you should give Westside a shot man. If your goals are size and strength, go for it.

Brittany1016
04-11-2003, 05:09 AM
Michael, good job with the 565! You are getting so much bigger/ stronger!

Saturday Fever
04-11-2003, 09:36 AM
You don't have to set PRs on true lifts everytime in. In fact, the majority of the time you won't. Just focus in on the alternate ME lifts and when you come back to bench you'll be fine.

MonStar
04-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Brittany: Thanks the support babe. ;);)

Saturday Fever: Yeah I know what youre saying man, it was just a let down because I have tried for more than 325 on a few occasions now and for some reason I am not having much success at all. I am really trying to hit 350 within the next few months and to make that possible I feel like I need to work on a lot of lockouts. I have been failing halfway up and around 4-5" before lockout. Also going to hit up some suspended bench a lot and see how that goes.

MonStar
04-12-2003, 06:57 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: granola bar, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 2 granola bars
Meal 3: 1 isopure shake
Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 5: 2 slices pizza
Meal 6: 1 slice pizza

Estimated Calories: ~3600

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Pain/Soreness: Ouch! Chest and back are stiff. Pecs especially are really hurting, jeez.

General Comments

Felt pretty good today I think, I dont know. I know that I ate way too damn much, way too damn late, lol. Oh well, whatever. Ill live I guess. I really cannot afford to be packing in 4000 calories on non-training days. I am not sure what the hell I am thinking. Oh well, whatever. Really have this fat-phobia for some reason. Especially as summer is just around the corner. Strength is still a big deal to me but I dont want to be a fat pig this summer.

By the way, saw the movie "A Beautiful Mind" last night, AWESOME movie.

Sheik
04-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Hey man, hows it going???
You'll hit the 325 in no time! I hope to be doing the same very soon (if the muscle strain in my back doesn't hinder my plans).

I have a question for you though......how is that 4000 calories????

Coke
04-12-2003, 11:18 AM
I agree on the movie, Crowe ended up robbing himself so to speak - he should of got an Oscar. :cool:

Magnus
04-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Sheik
I have a question for you though......how is that 4000 calories????

Bump...even though this has already been brought up.

MonStar
04-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Sheik: Hey man, Ill quote my meals and put in (-) after each meal how many calories it was. Also, I have already hit 325 on bench. I want 330-335. Thanks for the support though. I would love to smoke 350 by mid-summer.

Meal 1: granola bar, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3 (600)
Meal 2: 2 granola bars (400)
Meal 3: 1 isopure shake (200)
Meal 4: macaroni & cheese, organic soda (1300)
Meal 5: 2 slices pizza (1000)
Meal 6: 1 slice pizza (500)

I ate an entire box of macaroni & cheese deluxe, so that was 1100 calories in itself. Followed that with an organic soda, 200 calories. The pizza was from Papa John's, extra cheese with hot peppers. ~500 a slice. So its all good, lol.

CoCoa: Agreed man, awesome movie.

Magnus: Quoted above with my calories from each meal. :):)

Magnus
04-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Quick diet questions: If a granola bar is 200 cals, then you had almost 4 cups of 2% in your first meal? And how BIG are Papa John's slices!!!?

*Goes and orders pizza*

MonStar
04-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Magnus: Hey man, the granola bar in Meal 1 was 300 calories, and I had 20 oz. of 2% milk. So the milk alone was what? Something like ~290-300 calories if I am doing my math right. Papa John's pizza isnt HUGE I dont think, I dont know. Normal slices, lol.

ACTUALLY, Magnus, youre right. I just looked up Pizza Hut slices and Papa John's is definitely no larger than them. And they range about 300-400 a slice. Make that around 3600 calories yesterday, my fault man.

MonStar
04-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, 1 bacon strip, grits, toast, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: organic cookie
Meal 3: 1 luna bar
Meal 4: isopure protein shake
Meal 5: macaroni & cheese, organic soda
Meal 9: 3 veggie egg rolls, 3 slices pizza

Estimated Calories: ~5500 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Training---DE Squat/Deadlift

Box Squats:

225 x 3 (3), 275 x 2, 315 x 1

Some good sets here today of box squats. I was happy with my explosion off the box. Worked out with a big guy that is an ex-powerlifter. He really knew his sh*t about powerlifting, damn. Guy has met Louie Simmons and all of the Westside guys. Anyway, all 5 sets off the box were good. Once I felt the box, exploded up. Box is around 13-14" off the ground I would say. A good 3-4" below parallel for me. Anyway, 315 flew up like it was nothing, nice.

Deadlifts:

275 x 3 (3), 315 x 2, 405 x 1

Some good sets of speed deadlifts today I think, really got my form down PERFECT on these today. I was very happy to have this ex-powerlifter (didnt even get his name, lol) help me with my form. I really concentrated on arching my back, keeping my chest out/up, and keeping my hips down. Helped out a TON! 275 for 3 triples was awesome. 315 for for a double was cake. And 405 felt like NOTHING. With good form I think I am a hell of a lot stronger in deadlifts.

Rope Cable Pull-throughs:

Stack x 8 (3)

Eh, not too much to say here. Used the whole cable stack, wow. Not exciting at all, lol. Decent contractions, I guess.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 8 (3)

Not too much to say here either. Really got some nice quad contractions I think. I was pleased. Legs actually got pretty exhausted from these 3 sets.

Seated Calf Raises:

6 Plates x 15 (3), 4 Plates x 25

Some good sets of seated calf raises today. Started off with six 45s for 3 sets of 15 reps. Really good sets today. Calves were friggin' beat. Dropped down to 4 plates for 25 reps, to finish my calves up. Calves were burnin' after all 4 sets.

Nautilus Crunches:

200 x 8 (2)

Some good sets of ab crunches to finish up my workout today I think. Didnt really have much time to do these, lol, my gym was closing. Hit up 2 quick sets with 200 lbs. Abs got some good contractions I think.

Miscellaneous

Weight: 227 lbs. (gym) :eek::eek:
Pain/Soreness: OW! Still sore today, lol. Pecs are friggin' aching like crazy. Goign to have to take it easy tomorrow, thats for sure.

General Comments

Felt OKAY today I guess, I dont know. I think that I was getting used to the ephedrine energy for a long time. And now that I am ONLY taking in preworkout I feel like its really hitting me hard. Feeling lethargic during the day, etc. Ill start to get more energy I think as I get used to the ephedrine not always being in my system. See how things go. I REALLY want to hit 6 plates on deadlift in the next month or so. Damn that would be great.

kook
04-12-2003, 09:59 PM

Meal 1: scrambled eggs, 1 bacon strip, grits, toast,

where you from the projects? eating grits kid hehe

and form can make a world of difference on deads and squats, im learning that lesson now.

and 227? uh oh weighing more than me now son

much luck being back on westsiide

MonStar
04-12-2003, 11:43 PM
kook: Haha, yeah grits baby! Gotta love 'em. And youre absolutely right about the friggin' form thing. Especially on deadlifts. Just today sticking out my chest seemed to make a HELL of a difference. I pulled 4 plates today like it was the friggin' bar. Thats how I want to feel eventually with 5 plates, lol. Yeah 2-f*cking-27 lbs. It is really honestly starting to get out of hand to be honest. I am going to start adding some cardio to my routine to help with dropping some flab. See how things go with that. Thanks for the post kook.

MonStar
04-13-2003, 11:39 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: hot pocket, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 5-7: macaroni & cheese salad, coconut pie, potato salad, ham, dinner rolls, cranberry juice
Meal 8: apple pie + cool whip
Meal 9: turkey sandwich, potato chips

Estimated Calories: ~4500

Training---DE Bench

Flat Barbell Presses:

135 x 3 (3), 185 x 2 (2), 225 x 1

EH, not too much to say here. Need to work on my bar speed big time I think. Really suffering for some reason. I dont know why I cannot get the bar moving as quickly as I would like it to. Damnit.

Nautilus Incline Presses:

Stack x 8 (5)

Some good sets here today I think. Trying to up the volume a bit and burn off some more friggin' calories. Used the stack for 5 sets of 8. Chest was aching, damn. Really like these a lot. The seem to hit my pecs and front delts pretty good.

One-arm Cable Lateral Raises:

50 x 8/8 (4)

Nice sets here today, again some more volume. Really blasted my side delts very well. Minimal rest periods between the sets too, so that was good. Delts were really pumped up, lol. I could feel them throbbing, that was a little weird.

One-arm Cable Pressdowns:

100 x 8/8 (4)

Nice sets of pressdowns today, backed off a lot on the weight and focused on my contractions and my ROM. Damn good sets today. Triceps really felt exhausted, which was nice. Hopefully I wont get extremely sore from these.

Bentover Underhand Cambered-bar Rows:

285 x 5, 325 x 2.5!, 265 x 8, 235 x 10

AWESOME sets of bentover Yates style rows today!! Tried some overhand rows and then tried and underhand grip. I felt it much more in my lats with an underhand grip. Going to be going with the med./heavy/light/lighter set scheme for a while. Started off with 285 for 5, NICE lat contractions. 325 for a double! New PB, with an underhand grip. Dropped down to 265 for 8, and then 235 for 10. Lats were pumped up, and exhausted.

Standing Barbell Curls:

185 x 1!, 135 x 5, 95 x 10

Wow, I was friggin' excited about this. Hit 185!! :thumbup::thumbup: Obviously some body English, lol. Too much body English if you ask me. But hey, I still curled 185, lol. Nice slow negative that tore my biceps up. Dropped down to 135 for 5, minimal rest, ouch! Finished up with 95 for 10. 95 lbs. even felt like a lot, lol, my biceps were dead.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 45 minutes
Pain/Soreness: Chest is still friggin' stiff today, damnit. Really bothers me because it has been sore for a WHILE now, not sure what the problem is.

General Comments

Feel good today I think, I dont know. I am really really going to start going easier on my DE days. The last time I did Westside I was going WAY too heavy on my speed days, and then heavy again on my max days. Obviously not the best idea in the world. Going to try and back off the weights and stay shy of failure on DE days. Going heavy on lats though twice a week, need them to GROW!

ryan1117
04-13-2003, 11:53 AM

Damn! A five pound fluctuation in one day? Was one at night and one in the morning or something?

AlexR
04-13-2003, 02:14 PM
how much is cambered bar.. 25 lbs?

pagan058
04-13-2003, 03:21 PM

285 x 5, 325 x 2.5!, 265 x 8, 235 x 10

AWESOME sets of bentover Yates style rows today!! Tried some overhand rows and then tried and underhand grip. I felt it much more in my lats with an underhand grip. Going to be going with the med./heavy/light/lighter set scheme for a while. Started off with 285 for 5, NICE lat contractions. 325 for a double! New PB, with an underhand grip. Dropped down to 265 for 8, and then 235 for 10. Lats were pumped up, and exhausted.

[/list]

Yeah man i told you about changing that grip up.....I like that feeling better too....You can also hawl alot more weight.....Good job brotha.......

MonStar
04-13-2003, 10:18 PM
ryan: Yeah, LOL, I didnt even really notice that. Well Saturday night I trained around 6:00 PM, and then Sunday I trained early around 11:00 AM. But still, that is really strange. I dont know, I use the exact same scale every single time in the gym. Its the only scale in my gym actually. I weigh myself without my tennis shoes, by the way.

AlexR: My gym has 3 cambered-bars, actually. The two smaller ones are 25 lbs. each, and the one that I use for the rows, which is a bit longer, is 35 lbs.

pagan: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it a ton. I do really really like bentover rows a lot. Talk about an awesome overall exercise. I think them in combination with supported rows will really be excellent in terms of lat hypertrophy. Well see what happens. I really would like to see my back grow a good bit in the next few months.

MonStar
04-14-2003, 07:32 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: granola bar, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: pork & beans + hot dog + macaroni & cheese, 1/2 oatmeal raisin cookie, skim milk
Meal 3: 2 pop-tarts, grape juice
Meal 4: 1 Wendy's cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's bacon cheeseburger, 1 Wendy's small frosty

Estimated Calories: ~3200

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today I dont think, feel pretty good actually. Legs are a little stiff nothing too bad. Everything else is just mildly stiff, not real soreness, thats good.

General Comments

Feel good today I think, have class today from 10-12:30. Really looking forward to a good ME squat/deadlift workout. I cant decide at this point what I want my ME lift to be, well see what happens. I am thinking maybe suspended good mornings, or something along those lines. I dont really know at this point.. maybe even SLDLs.

YoBrickWall
04-14-2003, 07:54 AM
yo- just peeking in. i plan to start doing barbell rows again. gotta see how my forearm is doing though. ill start light and jump each week. man yo got me itching for a 300 mark now.

MonStar
04-14-2003, 12:26 PM
YoBrickWall: Yeah barbell rows are friggin' awesome man, talk about a great back exercise. I feel like bentover rows and supported rows are really helping me develop my lats. Good luck getting back into them. Personally, I prefer an underhand grip---but then again, everyone is different. Thanks for the post man.

AlexR
04-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Meal 2: porn & beans + hot dog + macaroni & cheese, 1/2 oatmeal raisin cookie, skim milk

Magnus
04-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Meal 2: porn & beans + hot dog + macaroni & cheese, 1/2

Porn and Beans!
:eek:

Saturday Fever
04-14-2003, 01:37 PM
Porn, porn, the magical fruit!
The more you watch the more you....

pagan058
04-14-2003, 05:43 PM
lmao

MonStar
04-14-2003, 05:50 PM
AlexR: LOL! I didnt even realize what the heck you were talking about man. I kept looking at it like, HUH? Thanks for bringing that to my attention man. Porn and beans, wonder how many calories in that meal, haha.

Magnus: LOL.

Saturday Fever: LOL.

pagan: LOL. :):)

MrWebb78
04-15-2003, 12:47 AM
hey Mon(sounds jamaican huh?), first of all, how does organic soda taste?? 2nd, if you have a fat phobia then drop the wendy's meals, and apple pies with cool whip.

also, i think you should spend about 2 months just bulking like a mad-man, and say "**** it if i get fat!", then after a couple months cut the fat off. kind of a "mini-bulk".

MonStar
04-15-2003, 07:10 AM
MrWebb: Organic soda tastes AWESOME, it is way better tasting than regular soda if you ask me. Haha, I need to fix up my diet, but whatever. It doesnt bother me that much. I am so much happier eating the way that I do rather than a typical "clean" diet. Yeah I dont know what I am going to do at this point man, I really want to see myself hit a 350 bench, 500 squat, and 600 dead pretty damn soon. My bench has been in a rut for a while now. Need to do something about that.

STM
04-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi,

You have some great lifts going for you.

What is your protein intake right now? I read a few of your meal plans and I thought it looked to be fairly low, imo. Try and up it pretty high. Try adding a shake (50g pro) to every 2nd meal, or in between.

Saturday Fever
04-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Would someone please explain what a diet higher in protein will do?

As I've said time and time again, don't lend too much weight to what you're eating. Calories are a metric unit of measurement for combustion. And fat is the most efficient form as it yields 9 calories per 1 gram. So what possible benefit could a diet low in fat be?

I've also stated, and stand by, that if you want to be, and look like, a bodybuilder then you may as well just jump on the steroids wagon because you can't do it naturally. It is a much more realistic goal for a natural lifter to work on strength gains. And the logical conclusion would be that to increase the amount of energy you can exert lifting a maximal weight, you would be better off increasing your fat intake. Then, if you're worried about gaining too much fat, you can increase the volume of the work done after your maximal work to burn up as many calories as you'd like. But don't rob yourself of precious energy for a silly goal like "bodybuilding."

MonStar
04-15-2003, 09:49 AM
STM: I dont think that my protein intake is ever THAT bad. I mean its never all that high, but I dont think its as horrible as some people seem to think. Then again everyone thinks that you need to have 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight to make any kind of gains. Seems ridiculous if you ask me.

Saturday Fever: I really like your opinion on calories and all that man. Although I am not sure where I stand on the subject, I do feel like I am favoring what you think versus what most people seem to think. Especially considering what your friggin' gains have been the past few months. I am curious SF, in your opinion, when should one take in more calories, on a training or non-training day? Preworkout it seems a surplus of calories is good to fuel your energy stores. However postworkout and the day after a workout it seems like a good idea because you need excess calories to recovery from the workout. I am just curious if you think one should take in more food on training days versus non-training days?

Also, about the bodybuilding thing. Naturally one cannot even START to think about getting anywhere I dont think. I worked out purely for the fun of it and for hypertrophy before, never to compete. Now I am simply training for more hypertrophy, but for strength as well. I really love training for strength, keeps things interesting if you ask me.

pagan058
04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Monstar I can tell you something we did at my old college, when our bench press strength would plateau. What we did was we had someone lay on the floor, then have someone else roll a barbell on top of your chest. That way if you do a couple of sets like that, you are just working on the sticking point directly. Just thought if you got real desperate you could try that...

Alke
04-15-2003, 09:54 AM
hey Monstar...haha porn and beans, i laughed out loud when I read that.

to SF, I agree with you on the fact that calories count more than high amounts of protein. I am doing MUCH better in my lifts by counting cals than I did by drinking protein shakes. I do get a lot protein in my current bulk diet, but mostly I make sure that I get the cals before I worry about the amount of protein.

The thing is, everywhere you look you see high protein ratios being rated as the only way to gain muscle. You dont see ads in magazines for calories, only for protein. Thats one one the reasons I'm glad I found WBB, This place is WAY better than the latest magazine for information!

Sorry mike, didnt want to spam your journal, just agreeing with SF :)

STM
04-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Saturday Fever, Monstar.

I can only speak from my experience, and my training partners. Increasing your protein to high levels does help increase gains. That is my experience.

How many times do people try some new fancy "bull testicle" supplement because it might work? Change training programs to the newest positions of flexion, power factor training, HST, Westside blah blah blah....why not double dose your protein? It may just work...does for me.

Just a thought. I think you have an amazing strength base, and you should definately get pounding the calories/protein.

A question you dont have to answer, do you juice Monstar?

MonStar
04-15-2003, 11:14 AM
pagan: Yeah I might give floor presses a shot, they seem to be a good exercise. Very similar to lockouts if you ask me. Thanks for chiming in man, appreciate it.

Kenn: Yeah I completely agree that calories count MUCH more than protein does. I think that your overall calorie intake is what will build muscle not an overall protein intake. You can take in 300g of protein and only be taking in 1500 calories, and not gain any lean body mass at all if you ask me. I think that overall your calorie intake should be high, and that will really help with gains. LOL, about the porn and beans. And I used to depend on magazines too for my information, glad that I found WBB.

STM: I dont know, a very high protein intake did help me preserve my muscle a few years back when I was cutting. Thats about it though. It didnt seem to do much more than that. And I think that a surplus of calories combined with Westside will really help me gain some awesome strength. And no, I do not juice. I have never done anything more than protein/creatine/ephedrine. Not even prohoromones or anything like that. I did do one day of glucophage though, lol, some people might want me to add that. Thanks for chiming in STM.

Saturday Fever
04-15-2003, 11:38 AM
Well, think simplistically. What are you doing when you're consuming a lot of protein? Let's take an extreme example and say you're consuming 600g of protein a day. That translates to 2400 calories. Now let's say you're eating 300g of fat a day. That translates to 2700 calories. What is more efficient? You eat less fat and get more energy.

Now while I agree that protein is essential to a diet, I think the supplement industry has greatly overrated it. There are certain body functions that require protein, no doubt. But to say "up your protein and you'll get bigger" is just false. Your body is a miraculous machine. If you only consume 30g of protein in a day, your body will be good with 30g. If you consume 400g a day, your body will be good with 400g. The amount isn't so important because your body "needs" exactly what you give it, be it 30g or 400g.

A much better approach is to view protein/carbs/fat physiologically. And in that respect, it really doesn't matter. Eating fat doesn't mean you're consuming a direct source of fat. Stored energy becomes fat, to be sure, but that is why I say your non-maximal work should be geared to burning excess calories.

Look at it another way. To achieve hypertrophy, you have to lift an unspecified amount of weight for an unspecified amount of time. (Unspecified because it varies person to person and time and tension) So let's say you can typicaly bench 300x4. Why can you lift 300 four times? Neural adaptation aside, it's because you have the energy. Ever worked out at 5pm after not eating a thing all day? Then you're familiar with the "bogged down" feeling such an idea accompanies. The energy you use to lift that 300lb comes directly from what you eat. So do you eat 600g of protein so you have 2400 calories to burn? Or do you eat 300g of fat so you have 2700 calories to burn? Now obviously you aren't going to sit down and eat pure fat, but the idea stands. I would challenge anyone still working from the protein myth to accept my ideas for 2 weeks and see if strength gains are not above your normal.

Silverback
04-15-2003, 12:35 PM
Nice post SF, when you put the nutrition game like that it makes more sense and i agree that the 'protein push' is over-rated, energy is the key as long as you get the required aminos there is no problem

oh and hey mike :) when you next working out?

pagan058
04-15-2003, 12:42 PM
What works for u is what u need to stick to big man!!!!

MonStar
04-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Saturday Fever: An awesome post man, I completely agree with what youre saying. I think the point is even more clear when you think about the following---its preworkout, and you have the choice between eating 100g of protein, and 100g of fat. Obviously the typical bodybuilder would pick the 100g of protein, yielding 400 calories. But if he chose the 100g of fat that would yield 900 calories, more than double the energy of the protein. I also find your view on calories as units of combustion very interesting SF.

As you guys know I am not a diet fanatic. But then again, I do NOT feel like my diet has impeded my strength or size gains in any way shape or form. I feel like diet in general is completely overrated. I think that a surplus of calories is obviously important, but when it comes to the specific macronutrient breakdown it is simply not necessary. This is something that I have found over the past 5 months obviously. Not something that I came up with overnight.

Ron: Yeah, SF's post was excellent. And as you know and have seen all that matters to me is calories (energy), just left Burger King a few minutes ago actually, lol. Anyway I train today, ME squat/deadlift. And Ill tell you man, I am contemplating whether I should try 6 plates or not. I REALLY want to nail that, I mean I want it so bad. And I really think that I have it in me. I dont know yet, Ill see how I feel. I am going to pack in some calories beforehand, thats for sure!

pagan: I agree man, as I have been eating strictly for calories, for about the past 6 months now. And it has worked out great to be honest. Westside + eating whatever I want = awesome results for me.

Saturday Fever
04-15-2003, 02:10 PM
Main Entry: cal·o·rie
Variant(s): also cal·o·ry /'ka-l&-rE, 'kal-rE/
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: French calorie, from Latin calor heat, from calEre to be warm -- more at LEE
Date: 1866
1 a : the amount of heat required at a pressure of one atmosphere to raise the temperature of one gram of water one degree Celsius that is equal to about 4.19 joules -- called also gram calorie, small calorie; abbreviation cal b : the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius : 1000 gram calories or 3.968 Btu -- called also large calorie; abbreviation Cal
2 a : a unit equivalent to the large calorie expressing heat-producing or energy-producing value in food when oxidized in the body b : an amount of food having an energy-producing value of one large calorie

Anyone who chose 100g of protein over 100g of fat would be severely cheating themselves. And no bodybuilder would care. For starters, bodybuilders are jacked to the brim on steroids, and when you see them in competition form, they're disgustingly dehydrated. A smart, natural lifter would choose a diet that is efficient and structure their routine to fit that diet.

MonStar
04-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Saturday Fever: A good post man, but I have to say that if you asked a bodybuilder which he would take preworkout, a protein shake that was 100g of protein, or a cup of heavy whipping cream that was 100g of fat (with taste aside), I definitely think he would choose the protein shake. And that is a good definition of a calorie, by the way.

MonStar
04-15-2003, 07:17 PM

Diet/Supplements

By the way, for those that were interested, the organic cookies from my work are Alternative Baking Company Inc. Theyre around 500 calories for most flavors, and 6-10g of protein. Made with wheat flour I believe, and theyre not all that high in sugar considering how good tasting they are.

Meal 1: granola bar, 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King hershey pie, 1 Burger King onion rings
Meal 3: organic cookie

Estimated Calories: ~3700

Training---ME Squat/Deadlift

Jeez, lol, helped out some guy in my gym with his diet/training for about 15 minutes. Workout would have been much shorter. He really appreciated it though and I love helping people so I didnt really mind. Oh well. He was really yellin' when I yanked up 6 plates, lol.

Deadlifts:

135 x 3, 225 x 3, 315 x 2, 405 x 1, 585 x 1!

Westsssiiidddeee!!! :D:D

6 F*CKING PLATES BABY! :thumbup::thumbup: This is what I am talking about, extremely pleased today at the gym. SMOKED 585, and I am not even f*cking kidding. Bar speed was right on, not slow at all. Had 3 different guys afterwards tell me that I could definitely handle more than that. That's always a good thing to hear, lol. Anyway, going to back off my maxes for a while. See if I can hit 605 the next time I test my 1RM for deadlift. Well see what happens in the next few months.

Leg Presses:

21 Plates x 5!, 18 Plates x 7, 16 Plates x 8

Some good sets of leg presses today, fried my quads pretty bad. Used 21 plates, and if you guys are wondering how I got an odd # of plates, Ill explain. My leg press has 2 things on the side of the sled you can load plates on, and one thing up the middle of the sled. So 10 plates on each side, and then 1 in the middle. Dropped down to 18 for 7, and then 16 for 8. OUCH!

Hyperextensions:

80 x 6! (3)

WOW, ow... these were tougher than ever. I dont know why but these 3 sets of hypers were the hardest 3 sets I have ever done, EVER. Maybe because I had just pulled 6 plates, I dont know. I was exhausted and my lower back has never ached so bad before.

Seated Calf Raises:

6 Plates + 20 lbs. x 12! (4), 4 Plates x 30

Awesome sets of calf raises!! Need to get my puny calves growing, sick of them being so sh*tty. Used six 45s and then two 10s. Nice sets today. Calves took a hell of a beating, dropped down to 4 plates for 30 to finish them off completely.

Nautilus Crunches:

Stack x 5 (2), 200 x 10

Not too much to say here I dont think, some pretty good sets of machine crunches. Really slowed up my negative part of each rep to feel it a ton in my midsection. Abs were exhausted from these 3 sets.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 60 minutes
Weight: 223 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Eh, not too sore today. Honestly, my hips and glutes were a LITTLE stiff, nothing too bad though.

General Comments

Been putting a lot of thought into my what I am going to do. I have decided that around mid-summer, I am going to do a meet. I am not sure just yet when or what meet, most likely mid-July or sometime around then. However, I am ONLY going to do deadlift during this first meet. I am hoping that by then Ill be pulling in the 625 or so area. I think that I have a lot of potential in deadlift, especially after tonight and all talking to the hardcore powerlifters from my gym. Bench I am still going an inch off my chest without a pause, and squat I am not POSITIVE that I am going as deep as some meets require. So just deadlift at this point for me.

By the way, I am going to shoot for the 220 lbs. class, I do NOT want to be in the 242s. Hopefully Ill be okay. I usually hover between 218-224 so well see what happens.

pagan058
04-15-2003, 07:55 PM
good job on the deadlift man!!!!

shredder
04-15-2003, 08:19 PM
AWSOME job man! 6 plates is fookin hyuuuge keep the great work bro!

AlexR
04-15-2003, 09:03 PM
you are only 115 lbs away from 700.

RG570
04-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Absolutley astounding.

Were you not at 565 only a week ago? Good luck with 605, im sure you'll be there in no time at all.

MonStar
04-15-2003, 09:27 PM
pagan: Hey thanks for the support man, I really appreciate it. I was extremely pleased with 6 plates. Talk about being pumped up, haha. Thanks again for the post.

shredder: Thanks for the support man. :):)

Alex: Yeah, I never really thought about it that way. I know now that I am 65 lbs. away from 650, which is pretty damn impressive if you ask me. I think that genetically I really favor deadlift out of the 3 main lifts. I never realized it either until I started Westside. But I feel like 605 is going to be no problem at all. At least after how 585 went tonight. 585 somehow felt just as easy as 565 did. But over a month ago 555 felt like a MILLION pounds, lol.

RG: Yeah man, one week ago today I hit 565, which was a 10 lbs. PB. Tonight I hit 585, which was a 20 lbs. PB. These spurts of strength are really great mentally. I feel like my deadlift is just going to shoot up over the next few months. The biggest deadlifter at my gym pulls 700, and thats Chris Morris. Guy is honestly built to deadlift. I would love to get up with him eventually. Maybe Ill be closing in on the 700 range by the end of 2003, hey---anything is possible!

Saturday Fever
04-15-2003, 09:47 PM
In response to your PM, this would be my advice.

Eat heavy and lift hard. If you don't plan to compete for awhile, you can afford to up your weight for a while to provide extra fuel, and then level it off as the meet nears. It's really about volume control, and I'd be happy to help out.

MonStar
04-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Saturday Fever: Okay great man. Thats exactly what I am going to be doing. Eating heavy and lifting hard. That sums it up perfectly. As you have already gone through the entire training for the meet thing, I am hoping that youll offer me as much advice as you can. In terms of volume, etc. I am going to keep my DE sessions a bit lighter, and shy of failure. Rather than to failure like I was doing the my last time on Westside. I think that competing at the 220 weight class should allow me to place pretty well in deadlift. I would LOVE to hit a triple BW deadlift at the meet. 660 is friggin' INSANE, and 75 lbs. more than what I pulled tonight. But the way that 585 flew up, I am raising my goals!

fuzz
04-15-2003, 11:43 PM
The cookie company - and you can order online:

http://www.planetdistribution.com/alternativebaking/index.cfm

Word.

Are the nutritional facts for one cookie, Mike? I lists two servings on the web site.

MonStar
04-16-2003, 06:53 AM
fuzz: Yeah man, thats the company alright. The nutritional facts for each cookie are different, fuzz. For example I believe the peanut butter one is 500 calories and 10g of protein. And GREAT tasting I might add, at least I think. I havnt had one that wasnt at least good. Oatmeal raisin I wasnt crazy about actually. Thanks for the link man.

MonStar
04-16-2003, 07:18 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: metrx bar, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: 2 cereal bars
Meal 3: slim-fast bar
Meal 5: isopure shake
Meal 6: 2 hot dogs, pretzels, orange juice
Meal 7: metrx bar

Estimated Calories: ~3800

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Pain/Soreness: Actually not too sore today at all for some reason. For the most part I feel pretty damn good. I am sure that the soreness will set in later in the day, however.

General Comments

Wow, I still am amped up about hitting 6 plates last night. I was so excited, lol. Anyway I am thinking about how I am going to be testing my deadlift over the next couple months before the meet. Obviously I do not want to burn myself out. I dont know, well see what happens I guess. I am going to see how 605 feels, and then see if I can hit 625. I would be very happy nailing 625 at the meet, to be completely honest.

Relentless
04-16-2003, 07:23 AM
nice job on the deads Mike

a word about the leg press 'dropset': don't stop at 16 plates; keep dropping off 2 plates at a time till you get down to 6-8 plates and you're crying like a little girl

*TRUST ME* ;)

YoBrickWall
04-16-2003, 07:35 AM
yo monstar-AWESOME man.
keep hitting it hard so the ol man doesnt catch up to yo. yo know im gonna.

ybw

MonStar
04-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Callahan: Thanks for the support man, appreciate it. About the leg presses, its not a dropset. I just go heaviest for my first set, wait a few minutes, and then lighter for my 2nd set, and finally lighest for my last and final set. Just the way that I personally prefer to do it, not too big of a deal I dont think. Sorry about the confusion man, my fault. Anytime I do a dropset I put it in italics above the exercise, like this:

Dropset
Leg Presses:

Just for future reference. :):)

YoBrickWall: Hey man, thanks for the support, really appreciate it. I am really looking forward to deadlifting at a meet mid-summer. That should be a learning experience I think.

YoBrickWall
04-16-2003, 08:29 AM
yo monstar- what federation are u in or doing?
i use to be in a.a.u. and a.s.s.a if i remeber right. ive been a memeber of a.a.p.f. since 1998. last time i competed was 2001 at the state records for a.a.p.f.
im really considering going back this decemeber to compete again.
im pretty sure i can break my old records, plus there one more i need to get then ill hold all four in the 45-49, 198 class.

ybw

MonStar
04-16-2003, 09:28 AM
YoBrickWall: Honestly, I have NO IDEA. I dont have a clue which competition I am going to compete in. I guess I should start looking into it huh? All I know at this point is that I am going to compete around mid-July, and see how I do. If all goes well with that, Ill compete again maybe in October right before I turn 20. Who knows, we'll see what happens. I really like the idea of competing in deadlift only. Like I said I think thats the lift that I favor the most. Good luck man if you decide to come back and compete.

Rock
04-16-2003, 09:45 AM
damn your deadlifting is off the roof, just keep doing it as your doing it now, and rest a week before the meet and just eat.

MonStar
04-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Rock: Yeah man, I think that I should do really well at the meet. We'll see what happens. I want to have hit 625 before then in the gym. That will be really great I think. Who knows, at this point its hard to say what my strength is going to be like in a few months. I have about 3 months at this point to get ready for the competition. I think that if all goes well in those 3 months, 625 should not be a problem for the meet.

kook
04-16-2003, 09:39 PM
so you finally came to your senses and decided to do a meet?
beautiful, just eat like there no tomorrow until then

MonStar
04-16-2003, 10:55 PM
kook: LOL, yeah I guess I came to my senses man. I am only going to be doing deadlift in the meet, but I think that will go extremely well. After hitting 585 without much of a problem, I realized that genetically I favor deadlift. So Ill see what happens with that. Really going to work on my bar speed and explosion off the floor in my deadlifts. I am going to go Westside balls to the wall until the meet man, dont worry. I would LOVE to hit mid-600s in mid-July, damn.

MonStar
04-17-2003, 11:04 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: 2 buttermilk waffles + maple syrup, skim milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 5: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King hershey pie
Meal 6: 1 Wendy's small frosty
Meal 7: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King onion ring, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender

Estimated Calories: ~3800

Training---ME Bench

Close-grip Barbell Presses:

135 x 3, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 275 x 2, 330 x 1!, 335 x Miss

Some NICE sets of CG bench today! Set a new bench PB! Up 5 lbs. from my current 1RM on regular BB bench, and up 10 lbs. from my 1RM on CG bench. Awesome strength today, I was very impressed. Hands were 10-12" apart today. Use a grip where my hands are not THAT close, but not that far apart either. My index finger is right where the smooth part of the bar ends. Elbows were pinned against my sides during all CG bench sets. 225 and 275 felt like nothing, so I went right for a new bench PB. Hit 330, missed 335. Got about halfway up and, nothing.

Incline Barbell Presses:

225 x 8!, 205 x 8, 185 x 9

New incline PB today. Really like incline presses, havnt done them in a while. Used 225 for 8 which is good for me. Really hit my chest and front delts hard. Used a closer grip that I usually do. Dropped down to 205 for 8, I was dead. Pressing muscles were just exhausted. 185 for 9 was just torture.

Tate Presses:

75 x 2!, 60 x 5, 45 x 8

Nice sets of Tate presses today! Really blasted my friggin' triceps hard with the 75s. Hit a double with the 75s which for me is really really good. Tried HARD for that 3rd rep but I couldnt get it. Dropped down to the 60s for 5, and finished up with the 45s for 8. Minimal rest between these sets today.

One-arm Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

60 x 6/6!, 50 x 8/8

Nice sets of laterals today! BLASTED my side delts, ow! Used a 60 lbs. DB for 6 reps on each side, ouch. Nice slow negative really contracting my delts hard. Dropped down to a 50 lbs. DB for 8 reps on each side. Really hit my delts hard.

Underhand Supported Rows:

6 Plates x 4.5!, 5 Plates x 5 (2), 4 Plates x 10

Some good sets here today. 6 plates felt a lot lighter than it normally does somehow. I have no idea how. Hit 4.5 reps, new PB! I have only got a triple with 6 plates before. Dropped down to 5 plates for 2 sets of 5. Hit my lats hard here, damn. Finished up with 4 plates for 10. Back was toasted.

Alternating Crossbody Dumbbell Hammer Curls:

85 x 6/6!, 75 x 7/7

Some good sets of crossbody hammers today. Correction by the way, I am bringing the DB to my opposite PEC, not my opposite delt. Used the 85s for 6 reps on each arm. OW! Hit failure here, without a doubt. Dropped down to the 75s for 7 reps on each arm. Arms were exhausted.

Miscellaneous

Weight: 223 lbs. (gym)
Pain/Soreness: Stiff today in my lower body. Hips and glutes and all that are sore, along with my lower back being somewhat stiff. Oh well, whatever.

General Comments

Feel good today I think. Actually feel a little soft in my midsection for some reason, whatever. Ill live with it. I need to drop a couple of pounds eventually because I want to compete right in the 220 lbs. weight class. Damn I cant wait for this meet! I really want to see myself pull 600+, well see what happens I guess. It will be an all around learning experience, thats for sure.

Saturday Fever
04-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Sounds like your triceps are your weakpoint on bench. I say that because once the bar is 5-6" up, the battle shifts primarily to your triceps, regardless of grip. I would only recommend giving your triceps a big blast for a few weeks. Nothing too extreme. Just throw in some heavier sets of Tates or maybe add a couple mid-range rep sets of skullcrushers. Should only add about 5-7 minutes to your workout if you work fast. Workouts look good, though.

YoBrickWall
04-17-2003, 11:56 AM
yo- good chest day.

look under a.p.f.(name of yo state,yo have to spell the whole name).com
itll show up a.p.f. and a.a.p.f... a.a.p.f. is the one u want.(a.p.f. is not drug tested). go to state records. look up yo class and ull see where yo at for comparsion of the weights u do. yo'll also know what yo gotta do to break the record. some classes dont even have state records set.

ybw

MonStar
04-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Saturday Fever: Yeah man, I agree. I had a feeling that my triceps were a weakpoint, although everyone else I talked to at my gym seem to think otherwise. They think because I can close-grip as much as I can press regularly, my triceps must be a strongpoint. Anyway, I went heavy on Tate presses today. Ill really try and pound my triceps hard week to week on my ME day with Tate presses and JMs. In combination with lockouts and all that of course. Thanks for chiming in SF. Any recommendations on how many times I should test my deadlift max between now and the meet? I am thinking maybe 3 times. Try 605, then 625, and then maybe even 650, depending on how 625 feels.

YoBrickWall: Hey, a.p.f.delaware.com didnt work for some reason. Maybe check the link again. I would like to see what the teen deadlift record is for Delaware. For a 220 lbs. and under class that is. I cant imagine it being THAT much, Delaware is a pretty small state. Who knows, we'll see what happens.

YoBrickWall
04-17-2003, 12:16 PM
yo monstar- ill check my state and post it for u later. thisll give u some idea

ybw

Silverback
04-17-2003, 12:22 PM
Some good sets of crossbody hammers today. Correction by the way, I am bringing the DB to my opposite PEC, not my opposite delt. Used the 85s for 6 reps on each arm. OW! Hit failure here, without a doubt. Dropped down to the 75s for 7 reps on each arm. Arms were exhausted

lol no wonder i was getting them wrong, i was going for my opposite delt!!! oh well you live and learn :)

Nice chest work, How close were your close-grips? that was awsome work Mike :thumbup:

Checked out your progress pics, your back is looking thick and wide and arms are looking superb, i like how your forearm almost looks at one with the bicep :) also good to see a quad pic.

Excellent stuff, keep it progressing fella.

WillKuenzel
04-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Here's one for some records in Delaware. Its the open division and I don't know anything about the different federations but:

http://www.apa-wpa.com/delaware.html

Looks like you migh have the deadlift in your weight class.

MonStar
04-17-2003, 12:36 PM
YoBrickWall: Okay man, thanks, I appreciate it.

Ron: Thanks for the support. LOL, my fault about the crossbody hammers. It is opposite pec, if you went to opposite delt it was probably really awkward. My hands are 10-12" apart on the barbell for the CGs. My index finger is RIGHT where the non-smooth part of the bar starts. If that gives you any idea. Yeha I think I have added a little size but I have definitely added some fat as well. Whatever, you have to gain a little fat. My strength has been excellent lately so I am not going to complain. Thanks for the post Ron.

HomeYield: Also, I am looking to find the Delaware TEEN record for the 220 lbs. class, along with the Delaware overall record for the 220 lbs. class.

Nevermind, I just tried it and it worked. I cant believe that the Delaware record is only 550, thats crazy. Thats not even just the teen division, thats the entire state record I believe. I am really looking forward to competing now. Damn, I hope that I pull 625 or so in the meet. That would be insane to beat the record by 75 lbs.

WillKuenzel
04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
Don't know why its not working for ya.

Here's the copied off bit for the 220lb weight class for the open. Just thought you might like to see the deadlift.

First number is weight class, 2nd number is squat, 3rd number is the bench, 4th number is the deadlift and the last number is the record total for that weight class.
220 lb 600 R. Tyler 450 R. Tyler 550 R. Tyler 1600 R. Tyler

The link works fine for me so I don't know why you can't see it but the open 220lbs deadlift record is 550lbs. Kind of crazy.

MonStar
04-17-2003, 12:45 PM
HomeYield: Yeah it works, sorry. I cant get over the fact that the DL record in Delaware for 220 is only 550. I thought that it would be WAY more than that. That makes me feel strong! LOL. 585 came up on Tuesday pretty easily, I think that if I train right and all goes well Ill hit 600+ at the meet in July. Ill have to make sure that everything goes well. From what I understand you cannot take ephedrine, so Ill have to be careful about that.

I just remembered this, I have had a few guys who are heavy powerlifters come into my work for drug cleansers. Just a carb drink that they use prior to the urine test to pass, because they said theyre all on ephedrine. It seems that everyone these days is cracking down on ephedrine, damn!

WillKuenzel
04-17-2003, 12:58 PM
Here in NC the 18-19 teen division the deadlift is 550 as well:
http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_18-19.htm

For the 20-23 junior division its 630:
http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_20-23.htm

But for the open class its 690lbs.
http://www.carolinapowerlifting.com/mens_open.htm

It might just be in that federation though. I'm not sure which federation the above link is for so it just depends on who you are registered with and stuff. I couldn't find anything else for Delaware but maybe somebody else can.

YoBrickWall
04-17-2003, 02:21 PM
yo - my mistake. its apf not a.p.f.
sorry

ybw

Alke
04-17-2003, 06:35 PM
>>One-arm Dumbbell Lateral Raises:
60 x 6/6!, 50 x 8/8 <<

:eek:

seriously, good sets bro' I just shake my head everytime I read your journal LOL impressive strength as always!!!!!!! I knew you would have a better chest session the next time around, just took you a bit to get back into westside again.

MonStar
04-17-2003, 06:43 PM
HomeYield: Yeah thanks man. Obviously North Carolina is a lot bigger than small pathetic Delaware, lol. I still would love to hit a state record here in Delaware, that would be really nice if you ask me. I know that I can pull more than 550, no questions asked. I could compete this weekend and pull more than that. I couldnt find anymore information on the Delaware state powerlifting records either. Ill have to keep looking. Thanks for the help HY.

YoBrickWall: No problem man, dont worry about it. Thanks for the help.

Kenn: Hey thanks a lot man, yeah I do really feel that I had a much better ME bench session this week, than last week. Last week I dont know what the heck my problem was, this week my strength and intensity and all that was right on. I am really looking forward to this meet in July! I have to figure out which meet I am competing in first, and see what organization it is. I really want to smoke the Delaware deadlift record for the 220 lbs. class.

By the way Kenn, about the one-arm lateral raises---for some reason I am much stronger with one-arm than two. I can handle the 50s for 6 reps on regular laterals, but somehow with one-arm I can handle a 60 lbs. DB.

YoBrickWall
04-17-2003, 08:02 PM
yo monstar-imo i dont think yo problem is yo tricep. if yo doing close grip bench yo tricep is doing most of the work. still its a good bench.

ybw

shredder
04-17-2003, 10:29 PM
good work on the 330 monstar i bet it felt great to make a new PR.
i was wondering man, for your ME exersizez do u change it every week or switch it every 2-3 weeks? just wanted your opinion on this.

Lesnar_Rocks
04-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Great strength as usal monstar, april progress pics look great also.

MonStar
04-18-2003, 11:38 AM
YoBrickWall: I dont know man, I am really thinking that it is my triceps that are my weakpoint. Only because if completely changing the grip from close to wide doesnt change the weight, obviously something is wrong. I dont know, I am going to try and focus on everything actually---chest, triceps, front delts, lats. Only because my bench has just been the biggest pain in my a*s and I feel like its going to take my forever to get to 350 or 365. I dont know yet, thanks for the post.

shredder: Hey thanks a lot for the support man, appreciate it. Yeah I was extremely pleased hitting 330 on CG. Wasnt quite sure if I was going to get it or not. About the ME lifts, I change them week to week. I rarely EVER do the same exercise week to week. This past 2 weeks I did, because 565 on deadlift felt so light. I had to come back the following week and just see if I could hit 6 plates. I dont know, well see what happens. Thanks for the post man.

Lesnar_Rocks: Hey thanks for the support man, really appreciate it. I am really trying to focus on size and strength for time being. But honestly, I really cannot be gaining much more weight. For the simple reason that I dont want to have to lose weight for the meet in July. I would hate to lose strength trying to drop weight fast.

MonStar
04-18-2003, 11:41 AM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: peanut butter & banana sandwich, multi-vitamin/mineral, 2 Zantrex-3
Meal 2: soy chips
Meal 3: isopure protein shake
Meal 5: hot dog, 2 fruit popsicles
Meal 6: 5" turkey sub, coffee ice-cream
Meal 7: 3 ice-cream bars, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~5000

Diet f*cking sucked today, damnit. I cannot be have 5000 calorie rest days for much longer. I am really going to have to start bearing down on my calories. Keep it right around 4000 on training days and 3500 on non-training days. I really need to stay right about 220 lbs. and not much over that. Dont want to have to be cutting weight for my meet. Going to be sure to hit a TON of volume in tomorrow's speed squat/deadlift session.

Training---Rest

Miscellaneous

Sleep: 4 + 4.5 hours
Pain/Soreness: Ouch, I am aching today! Chest is stiff, lats are a little stiff, nothing extreme though. I think that my speed squat/deadlift session tomorrow will be good.

General Comments

For the most part I feel pretty damn good today. Today I have work from 2-7 which isnt too bad I dont think. Not really looking forward to it all that much, but whatever. Its so rainy here in Delaware I friggin' hate it! Bad weather just makes me feel sleepy, etc. Still putting a lot of thought into this meet in July. Trying to decide how many times I should test my deadlift max before then. I do NOT want to burn myself out.

Songsangnim
04-19-2003, 10:22 AM
550 for a state record? That's not bad, but you should smoke it no problem. As far as burning out maybe take a full week off lifting before the meet or something, so that you are fully rested before going in? As regards your deadlift max, I would test it maybe once a month. You are already pulling more than the record so I don't see the need to test it more often. Just my two cents.

Magnus
04-19-2003, 01:43 PM
Mike what happened to posting how many calories in each meal?? And why do certain posts dissapear in this journal? What's happening?

MrWebb78
04-19-2003, 01:59 PM
is doing some cardio on off days such a bad thing? not being sarcastic, i just dont see why an added 30-40 minutes of cardio to ease your mind would or wouldnt hurt.

MonStar
04-19-2003, 08:19 PM
ExtremeAnabolic: Thanks a lot for the input man, really really appreciate it. I agree that 550 isnt bad, but I will definitely break it without a doubt. I hit 585 without much of a problem. And in another 3 weeks or more Ill see how 605 feels. Damn thats going to be a great feeling to get over 600 lbs. I remember when getting over 500 was a HUGE deal, lol. I would love to pull 625 or so at the meet. Well see what happens. And I am not going to be testing my deadlift max that often before the meet. Thanks for the post again EA.

Magnus: I never posted the calories at the end of each meal, ever. I only posted the estimated calories for the entire day, thats all. Also, with deleting posts, all I do is delete the post and repost it with a response to someone else every now and then. Trying not to clutter up my journal too much, thats all. No big deal, really.

MrWebb: I dont know man, Ill keep that in mind. Its always an option I guess. I just personally HATE cardio, a lot. I mean when I used to do it I used to dread it so damn much. Who knows, thanks for the idea man.

MonStar
04-19-2003, 08:19 PM

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: whole milk, peanut butter crackers, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 2: organic soda
Meal 3: 2 cans chicken noodle soup
Meal 7: hot dog, ice-cream bar
Meal 8: 1 Burger King whopper, 1 Burger King 5-piece chicken tender, 1 Burger King onion ring
Meal 9: 5" turkey sub, smores pie
Meal 10: 2 slices pizza, 2% milk

Estimated Calories: ~4500

Training---DE Squat/Deadlift

Box Squats:

225 x 3 (3), 275 x 2, 295 x 1, 315 x 1 (2)

Some good sets of box squats today I think. My power and explosion off the box is not bad at all I dont think. Really impressed here today. 315 for 2 singles was pretty damn good I think.

Deadlifts:

315 x 3 (3), 365 x 1, 405 x 1, 455 x 1

Eh, not too much to say here. I think I went a TAD too heavy here on deadlifts today for a light day. Whatever. 3 plates for 3 triples was good. 365 bar speed was excellent, 405 bar speed was damn good too. Friggin' 455 though was WAY too damn slow. Sh*t.

Nautilus Leg Extensions:

Stack x 10 (4)

Good sets of leg extensions today I think. REALLY hit my friggin' thighs hard here today. Four sets was a lotta friggin' volume on my quads, talk about some excellent contractions in that area. I was extremely pleased here today.

Rope Cable Pull-throughs:

Stack x 8 (3)

Eh, not too much to say here I dont think. These 3 sets were actually very very exhausting. Really toasted my glutes and lower back and all that completely. Really nice sets here today.

Seated Calf Raises:

6 Plates + 30 lbs. x 12! (3), 4 Plates x 30

I keep adding weight to these seated calf raises, really feeling good with 6+ plates now. Calf contractions are right on. Damn I would love to get my calves growing, lol. 3 sets of 12 with 300 lbs. Then a set of 180 lbs. for 30.

Nautilus Crunches:

200 x 8 (3)

Nothing to say here really, good sets for my abs. Abs felt very very flabby which obviously is not a good thing. Whatever. Damn I want to tighten my midsection up..

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 50 minutes
Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today actually, for the most part I feel pretty damn good.

General Comments

Feel pretty damn good today I think. I am not too sure what I am going to do tomorrow since all of the gyms are closed for Easter. I am thinking I am just going to do a light bench session in my basement, if thats even possible. Ill do the best that I can. I know I can get a good back workout in my basement with bentover rows, so that should be nice. We'll see what happens.

YoBrickWall
04-20-2003, 07:07 AM
yo- happy easter

ybw

MonStar
04-20-2003, 11:35 AM
YoBrickWall: Thanks man, you too. Hope you have a great day. :):)

MonStar
04-20-2003, 11:35 AM

Happy Easter... :):)

Diet/Supplements

Meal 1: cocoa puffs cereal + 2% milk, multi-vitamin/mineral
Meal 4: beef ravioli
Meal 5: 2 hot dogs, 2 fruit popsicles
Meal 6: peanut butter & jelly sandwich
Meal 7: ham & cheese sandwich
Meal 8: 2 fruit popsicles

Estimated Calories: ~4200

Training---DE Bench

Worked out in my basement today, and I have one thing to say about this workout---INTENSE. I can really go nuts in my basement. In the gym I have to stay controlled, in my basement with the music jacked all the way up, I can let it all out.

Flat Barbell Presses:

115 x 3 (3), 165 x 2 (2), 185 x 1 (2)

Some good bar speed here today. I am trying to get used to using a slightly closer grip than I was before. So that really is going to take a little while to get used to I think. Just trying to put more triceps into my bench rather than all chest and delts. Bar speed was honestly very good for all of these sets today. I was happy.

Machine Chest Presses:

Stack x 8 (5)

Nice sets here today. I have a big Paramount machine in my basement that has a pretty good chest press on it. Hit my pecs fairly hard with these 5 sets. The stack in my basement is only like 210 lbs. or something, but its a LEGIT 210 lbs. Most machines 200 lbs. is really like 100 lbs. Not this one. 210 lbs. is HEAVY, lol.

Dumbbell Lateral Raises:

30 x 8 (5)

Eh, not too much to say here I dont think. Hit my delts pretty hard with all 5 sets here today. The last 2 sets or so were VERY intense. I was happy with my delt contractions. Delts looked awfully wide in my basement mirrors, hehe.

One-arm Cable Pressdowns:

50 x 8/8 (5)

Again, this 50 lbs. on my machine is probably around 100 lbs. on most cable stations. Used 50 lbs. for 5 sets of 8 on each arm. Nice sets here today. Really seemed to toast my triceps nicely. Good contractions and everything.

300 x 8!, 250 x 10 (2), 200 x 12

Wow, INTENSE sets of bentover rows here today. Talk about beating on my friggin' lats. Used a shoulder-width underhand grip. Pulling the bar to my waist, Yates style. Loaded my cambered-bar up as much as I could with the weights in my basement for my first set. Hit 8 reps with EXCELLENT form. Very good back contractions. Dropped down to 250 for 2 sets of 10. The second set of 10 was painful, lol, lats were done. 200 for 12 just finished my lats off.

Standing Barbell Curls:

135 x 6, 115 x 7

Biceps were obviously exhausted, because 135 felt like a million pounds to be curling. Some body English, but good biceps contractions. Hit 6 reps with 135 which was really nice I think. Dropped down to 115 for 7. Both sets toasted my biceps nicely.

Miscellaneous

Training Length: 40 minutes
Sleep: 1 + 6.5 hours
Pain/Soreness: Not too sore today I dont think. My hips and glutes and all that are pretty sore, but other than that I feel pretty damn good.

General Comments

Feel pretty good today! Went to church for once which is awesome for me. I rarely ever go, and I really need to get in that habit again. Looking for another job for some extra cash during the summer. $7 or so an hour really doesnt cut it for the way I like to spend money, lol. Really want to make some trips to the beach this summer, etc. So well see what happens I guess.

Silverback
04-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Damn impressive workout Mike, i know what you mean about the intensity and going all out, mainly becuase you wont offend anyone with the tunes blasting out and shouting :)

Im waiting till i move out till i design my home gym, i figure if i can get a good set up at my home it will pay dividends in the long run, as the gym i go to costs £400 per annum, i get student rates so i only pay £25 for the entire year!!

You know what i have a chest machine like that at home, which you can also do lat-pulldowns and triceps push-downs and the weights are so much heavier than at the gym like you say.

Nice easter workout, your strength looked swell in all exercises. Hows your form on the lateral raises? if i went for 30's my form would go to pot, i try to keep my arms straight all the way up and down, i see some guys at the gym swinging heavy weights up with their arms bent and it looks terrible.

Incredible rows!! is that a PR? if so 300lbs is just amazing, especially considering you got 8 reps. Its my back day tommorow so im looking forward to hopefully getting a new PR, i might just try them underhand for a change of pace.

Great stuff mike :thumbup: keep it going and have a great day for the rest of easter.

B-R

pagan058
04-21-2003, 10:13 AM
awesome rows bro....keep pullin

MonStar
04-21-2003, 11:51 AM
Ron: Thanks for chiming in man, really appreciate it. Yeah I agree about intensity at home versus in the gym. In the gym I feel like I have a lot of controlled intensity, but nothing compared to the intensity of some of my home workouts. My form on the lateral raises is perfect with the 30s man. The only time that my form starts to suffer is when I get up to using the 50s or so, then I might use a little body English. Nothing too bad though. I have seen some guys just heave the weight up and not get any kind of delt contractions at all. When I go heavy Ill raise the weight and try not to use a lot of body English, and then lower it slowly to get to the full effect. Yeah man, 300 for 8 is a PB, hence that its red with an exclamation point aftwards, lol. Just messin' with ya man. Yeah that was a HELL of a good set too, didnt expect to get 8 reps at all, damn. Anyway, thanks for the post man.

pagan: Hey thanks a lot man, really appreciate the support. I was very pleased with my bentover rows actually, talk about an intense set, damn.

Vido
04-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Monstar, just wanted to comment on your current bodyweight. This is kind of a poor comment to make to someone who is already obsessed with it, but I think that if you want to enter the meet at 220 lbs then you need to be careful. I just think that if you're scrambling to LOSE weight the last week or so before the meet then this could have an adverse effect on your strength.

Note, that I could be way off base here because I really don't know an awful lot about powerlifting, but it would make sense to me that you'd want to eat big the days leading up to a meet, not have to be dieting down. Just my 2 cents.