PDA

View Full Version : spillover qs

mic79
04-09-2003, 05:56 AM
would having a large 24 hr reefeed (10g/kg body weight significantly delay gettin back into ketosis to say stickin to a maintenace 24 hr reefeed??im askin as ive been nstruggling to get into ketosis after 5days even though ive been eating nxt to no carbs and im doin plenty cardio etc.ive even upped the fat intake and cut out the p/w carbs,coffee,etc.its drivin me nuts!!

Ironman8
04-09-2003, 07:14 AM
What's your diet?

bradley
04-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by mic79
would having a large 24 hr reefeed (10g/kg body weight significantly delay gettin back into ketosis to say stickin to a maintenace 24 hr reefeed??im askin as ive been nstruggling to get into ketosis after 5days even though ive been eating nxt to no carbs and im doin plenty cardio etc.ive even upped the fat intake and cut out the p/w carbs,coffee,etc.its drivin me nuts!!

How many carbs are you eating? Are you keeping track of trace carbs, as they can add up quickly?

Severed Ties
04-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Why are you trying so hard to get into ketosis, you don't need to be in order to burn fat.

To answer your question yes, refeeding will kick you straight out of ketosis and back to square one.

ST

mic79
04-09-2003, 10:20 AM
im eating 130g fat,130 protein 20 g carbs during the week.then i ate 10g carbs every kg of body weight and mod,low fat.would i have got into ketosis quicker with half the carbs on the reefeed??

carolinagirl
04-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I think that you have to deplete all that glycogen that you supercompensated with during the refeed before you get back into ketosis.

Isaac Wilkins
04-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Severed Ties
Why are you trying so hard to get into ketosis, you don't need to be in order to burn fat.

To answer your question yes, refeeding will kick you straight out of ketosis and back to square one.

ST

This is something I've heard rumblings about and have been curious on. A lot of authorities have started to say "You don't need to be in ketosis to burn fat" (Lyle McDonald, etc). Of course you don't. However, part of the nature of ketosis is that it turns one in to a fat burning organism, correct? If one is very low in stored glycogen, but not in ketosis, then one is still primarily a carb burning organism, just running low on fuel, correct? This makes ketosis MUCH more effective than simply low carbing.

What am I missing?

Isaac Wilkins
04-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by carolinagirl
I think that you have to deplete all that glycogen that you supercompensated with during the refeed before you get back into ketosis.

Close. You have to remove free-flowing blood sugar and deplete the liver's stored glycogen. You'll still have some in your muscles (this is why early week workouts are effective, even in ketosis). It's also why you continue to lose water weight all the way up to your next refeed, as that last bit of stored muscle glycogen gets depleted.

Paul Stagg
04-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Borris

This is something I've heard rumblings about and have been curious on. A lot of authorities have started to say "You don't need to be in ketosis to burn fat" (Lyle McDonald, etc). Of course you don't. However, part of the nature of ketosis is that it turns one in to a fat burning organism, correct? If one is very low in stored glycogen, but not in ketosis, then one is still primarily a carb burning organism, just running low on fuel, correct? This makes ketosis MUCH more effective than simply low carbing.

What am I missing?

Nothing.

Ketosis is by nature protein sparing. That's why lots of folks think it superior to other types of diets. It isn't, necessarily, though. Other diets can be just as protien sparing.

They key to fat loss is caloric defecit, adequate protein, and adequate EFA's. The rest is up to the dieter.

As Lyle says, given adequate protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar.

There are big things about TKD/CKD dieting that work well for lots of people - they blunt appetite, and they are pretty easy to stick to.

Severed Ties
04-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Borris

What am I missing?

I don't have a lot of time to post right now but the short answer is because being in ketosis cripples your metabolic rate. It is also not as protein spareing as people believe. During inactivity yes, but ketosis drives workout induced catabolism way up and delays postworkout anabolism. Hence why you never see anyone getting big on the Atkins diet.

ST

PowerManDL
04-09-2003, 07:55 PM
I'd also like to throw out that fat loss in and of itself isn't a function of calorie deficit. Weight loss is, but not fat loss.

I've become of the opinion lately that fat loss is more a function of fat used vs. fat stored, as opposed to the overall calories. Total caloric intake will be a variable in that equation, of course, but I don't feel its always the dominate factor.

Obviously, this implies that there are methods of metabolizing fat w/o being in a caloric deficit, as well as methods of circumventing fat storage in adipose tissue.....which there are.

Severed Ties
04-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
I'd also like to throw out that fat loss in and of itself isn't a function of calorie deficit. Weight loss is, but not fat loss.

I've become of the opinion lately that fat loss is more a function of fat used vs. fat stored, as opposed to the overall calories. Total caloric intake will be a variable in that equation, of course, but I don't feel its always the dominate factor.

Obviously, this implies that there are methods of metabolizing fat w/o being in a caloric deficit, as well as methods of circumventing fat storage in adipose tissue.....which there are.

Exactly, very well put Power.

ST