PDA

View Full Version : "healthy" High GI Carbs

AJ_11
04-09-2003, 03:19 PM
I am wondering what are some choices of meals or fruit that are High in GI and are healthy for you. Like apples, ones that are beneficial to replenish muscle/ Liver glycogen in the first half of a Carb Up Refeed.

MrWebb78
04-09-2003, 05:55 PM
apples arent a high GI carb, if memory serves

Ironman8
04-09-2003, 06:23 PM
The one healthy high GI food that comes to my head right now is Frosted Wheaties (has fiber).

Vido
04-09-2003, 09:41 PM
:bash:

aka23
04-09-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
I am wondering what are some choices of meals or fruit that are High in GI and are healthy for you. Like apples, ones that are beneficial to replenish muscle/ Liver glycogen in the first half of a Carb Up Refeed.

Apples are quite low GI, lower than most other fruits because of their high fructose to glucose ratio. However, they are effective at replenishing liver glycogen even though they don't raise blood sugar quickly. Some healthy foods that are higher GI are:

Baked Potatoes (not sweet potatoes) -- GI=128
Dried Fruits (dates, figs, ...) -- GI~=120
Melons -- GI~=100
Many Cold Cereals (not bran type) -- GI Shredded Wheat~=97, GI Cheerios ~=106, cereals with higher sugar content often have higher GIs

(GI listings on scale bread =100, not glucose=100)

Note that healthy lower GI foods are also quite effective at replenishing glycogen reserves. The amount of glycogen refill depends more on total carbs than type of carb. Also note that creating a sharp insulin spike associated with high GI carbs can have negative health effects for some peple. Eating meals containing protein/fats can blunt insulin response and blood sugar spike.

The article at http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm has some food suggestions for refeeds and GI data.

AJ_11
04-09-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Vido
:bash:

Ya I realized that this may be a question that is hammered to the ground but all the searches that came up were like cereals and simple sugar sources. I was hoping for answers that would specific to filling up depleted muscle glycogen levels first rather than liver, and had more benefits than eating "suger" for the first few hours.

AJ_11
04-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by aka23

Note that healthy lower GI foods are also quite effective at replenishing glycogen reserves. The amount of glycogen refill depends more on total carbs than type of carb. Also note that creating a sharp insulin spike associated with high GI carbs can have negative health effects for some peple. Eating meals containing protein/fats can blunt insulin response and blood sugar spike.

Thanks aka, I am changing things up and trying new thing and that is why I am wantting to try high gi then low in the latter part of the day. I prefer low gi, for many reason but that is what I am looking for is quick absortion to the muscle any something that I can snack on 1-2hours apart. Thanks for you input.

Vido
04-09-2003, 11:32 PM

Ya I realized that this may be a question that is hammered to the ground but all the searches that came up were like cereals and simple sugar sources. I was hoping for answers that would specific to filling up depleted muscle glycogen levels first rather than liver, and had more benefits than eating "suger" for the first few hours.

Sorry guy, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the suggestion that FROSTED Mini Wheats are a good source of high GI carbs.

AJ_11
04-09-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Vido

Sorry guy, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the suggestion that FROSTED Mini Wheats are a good source of high GI carbs.

lol, maybe the frosting has calcium in it.

body
04-10-2003, 03:59 AM
there is more to repleinshing carbs than GI.

eg carrots have a high GI. but are low in sugar.
GI is based on 50 grams of sugar eaten. with carrots you would have to eat like 750 gram of carrots to get the 50 grams of sugar.

that is a lot of carrot.

while other foods may have a lower GI. but help replenish carbs more as you can eat a lot less of it to get 50 grams of carbs.

Fluid
04-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Healthy high GI foods? It's all the same to the stomach.

Fluid

AJ_11
04-10-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Fluid
Healthy high GI foods? It's all the same to the stomach.

Fluid

I meant ones that have more than just carbs, for example a piece of fruit would have potassuim, vitamins and so on.

Bananas are higher in glucose. So if I ate a few bannanas for the first few hours would this be an okay ideal. I saw the scale, I am first trying to fill up muscle glycogen then liver. Or do bananas becasue of the fructose fill up the liver. That is where i get confused.

MWB
04-10-2003, 08:59 PM
I'd go with red skinned potatoes. They have abou 6-700mg of potassium per average sized potato.

Fluid
04-10-2003, 09:17 PM
I meant ones that have more than just carbs, for example a piece of fruit would have potassuim, vitamins and so on.
Oh, high GI that aren't empty calories. I see...

Bananas are higher in glucose
Green bananas are high in fructose, as they turn brown/ripe they become almost all glucose. :)

Fluid

AJ_11
04-10-2003, 09:57 PM

Oh, high GI that aren't empty calories. I see...

Fluid

:thumbup: EXACTLEY

Green bananas are high in fructose, as they turn brown/ripe they become almost all glucose. :)

Fluid

Cool That should be great. I haven't had a bannana in a long time.

aka23
04-10-2003, 11:55 PM

Green bananas contain little sugars, such as free fructose and glucose. In under-ripe bananas 80-90% of the carbohydrates are starch. As the bananas ripen, the starch changes to free sugars; including sucrose, glucose, and fructose. A 100g green banana has about 16.0g starch, 0.5g fructose, 0.8g glucose, and 1g sucrose. A 100g ripe banana might have 5.0g starch, 4.0g fructose, 6.0g glucose and 6.5g sucrose. An overripe banana might have under 5% starch and more than 95% free sugars (sucrose/glucose/fructose).

In addition up to 40% of the starch in unripe bananas may not be absorbed, while nearly all the starch is absorbed in ripe bananas. The differences cause the GI to increase from about 55 to 90 as the banana ripens on the bread=100 scale, or about 45 to 75 on the glucose=100 scale.

aka23
04-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Bananas are higher in glucose. So if I ate a few bannanas for the first few hours would this be an okay ideal. I saw the scale, I am first trying to fill up muscle glycogen then liver. Or do bananas becasue of the fructose fill up the liver. That is where i get confused.

When the body gets glucose, it may be used for energy. If energy is not needed immediately, then it gets saved for later. It may be stored in muscles or liver as glycogen. Muscle glycogen supplies muscle energy. Liver glycogen supplies energy to any part of the body. If both the stores are full, then the glucose may get converted to and stored as fat (any macronutrient taken in excess may be stored as fat). Fructose can only be converted to glycogen by the liver, so it does not fill up muscle gylcogen and only effects liver glycogen. Fructose is more effective at refilling liver glycogen than glucose, as 80% or more of glucose passes through the liver to reach the muscles.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, bananas contain a mixture of glucose and fructose. Unripe bananas are primarlily starch. The starch changes to sugars such as glucose and fructose as the bananas ripen. The glucose/starch in bananas refills both muscle and liver glycogen. The fructose only refills liver glycogen.

Supplements designed for "carbing up" usually contain a mixture of glucose and fructose, among other things. In the interview on this site Lyle Mcdonald recommends a postworkout meal with "45-80 grams carbs from glucose/maltodextrin and some fructose (10-20 grams) with 20-30 grams of protein". When bananas are consumed alone, they have a higher ratio of fructose than in this recommendation.

AJ_11
04-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the replies. Some valuable info aka. This is what I am planning tell me if it looks okay.

Wake up: Go to the Gym -within 5 min of waking I can be in the changeroom.

After warmup Start sipping on malto/dextro/whey drink
Immediatley following workout malto/dextro/whey
1 hour later 2 Bananas+whey
1 hour later 2 baked potatoes + 2% Cottage Cheese(that all I have)
2 hours later - pineapple+chicken+honey
2 hours later - Rice noodles+fish+veggies+olive oil
2 hours later - WW pasta+Chicken+veggies
2 hours later - oatmeal+cottage cheese+fish oil caps
2 hours later - salad+cottage cheese before bed

Wake up - oatmeal + Cottage Cheese + 1 tbs PB
3 hours later - WW Bread w/ Chicken+salad
3hours later - Back to regular eating

THis would be a 24 hour carb up following a intense leg workout out.

Opinion/ Suggestions, thanks I really want to do it smart this time, no more all out bingefest for me.

bradley
04-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Why not go ahead and drink the first shake upon waking instead of waiting until after you warm up? Although it will be quick digesting I see no point in waiting.

Edit: I would just want to make sure that I was getting nutrients into my system before I started in on an intense leg session.

AJ_11
04-11-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Why not go ahead and drink the first shake upon waking instead of waiting until after you warm up? Although it will be quick digesting I see no point in waiting.

Edit: I would just want to make sure that I was getting nutrients into my system before I started in on an intense leg session.

See I used to do that but I find myself with a lack of energy and in the gym my strength wasn't there. I find my intensity drops as well. I plan to take ALA upon waking and by the time it get into my system would be the time that I take the malto drink.

Then there is a thought to take some protein and fat but then I will have to wait to long and get up to early. Although I may wake up in the middle of the night and have a small meal. When I hit the washroom.

bradley
04-11-2003, 04:13 PM

See I used to do that but I find myself with a lack of energy and in the gym my strength wasn't there. I find my intensity drops as well. I plan to take ALA upon waking and by the time it get into my system would be the time that I take the malto drink.

Then there is a thought to take some protein and fat but then I will have to wait to long and get up to early. Although I may wake up in the middle of the night and have a small meal. When I hit the washroom.

That is a good point. What about mixing up the shake and drink half upon waking and the other half during your workout?

AJ_11
04-11-2003, 05:35 PM
I live about 5 m in from the gym. So upon waking till I get to the gym and start my workout only about 15-20 min will elapse. How long before do you suggest. To get the benefits from the energy.

Also I have taken a week off, so I plan to do a nice warm up, while I sip the sake.

I don't know what do you think? Really I would love the energy boost if it gave me one but I would want to have a crappy w/o due to the insulin spike and fall.

bradley
04-12-2003, 03:45 AM
I don't know if you have read through this thread but it is talking about what you are referring to. Seems to be the common consensus is to have your malto/whey shake about 45 minutes before working out which would allow ample time for digestion. Let me know what you decide and I would be interested in hearing how you felt throughout the workout.

Really I would love the energy boost if it gave me one but I would want to have a crappy w/o due to the insulin spike and fall.

Seems that this would not be a problem if you timed the intake right and got the spike at the beginning of the workout and when insulin levels begin to drop the workout would be over, at which point in time you can take in some more carbs to help stabilize insulin levels.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7331&perpage=25&highlight=GI&pagenumber=1

AJ_11
04-12-2003, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the link bradley, but I think that it confused me even more becasue it mentions first off a different scenario when cutting and there was some talk going back and forth.

Give me an idea what to do and I will try it tommorro. Then I will tell you what the results were.

bradley
04-13-2003, 04:43 AM
I would say upon waking drink down the malto and whey shake and then get ready and go to gym. Perform your warm up and everything and by that time the shake should be digested. Keep the workout to about an hour and you shouldn't have to worry about a big drop in bloods sugar levels which would cause lethargy. This should provide your muscles with the nutrients that they need during the workout. Since you are trying to time the workout around your insulin response there probably isn't any need to consume that second malto whey shake. Instead eat the meal with the baked potatoes and cottage cheese and I would throw the banana in there as well. Give this a go and see how you feel throughout the workout. I don't think the insulin drop will be a problem if you keep the workout time to around an hour.

AJ_11
04-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. This is what I did. split the malto/whey drink into 2. Had half in the morning then went in did my warm up started sipping on the other half. Also after downing that I had a Gatotade(I figured casue it it my CARB UP) then post I had another shake. 30 min later a banana and now I am eating my potatoes.

Energy levels were descent. I think that the gatorade help with wts. I took a week layoff so I didn't go over board but I found strength a bit lower than usual. But there are many factors in which affected those levels.

Ironman8
04-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Sounds like your doing a good job so far AJ :). Keep it up.

AJ_11
04-14-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Sounds like your doing a good job so far AJ :). Keep it up.
Thanx Man.

Well I hope so It seems after every carb up I am back to square 1 witht he wt. but that isn't my concern.

Kept carb up to about 800g of garbage(I mean Carbs) no it went really well few slip ups but all well. Thanks for the tips.