PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout shake after dinner

Airflight89
04-10-2003, 12:09 AM
When I take my Post work out shake right after working out, I find that I have a hard time eating a big dinner. Would it be ok if I ate dinner right after working out, then consuming my P.W.S? I'm taking the Max Muscle Big Max which has 610 cals so it kinda fills me up.

MrWebb78
04-10-2003, 12:26 AM
well it wouldnt exactly be a postworkout shake then would it:)

i would vote no for a few reasons

1. it would prolly be too long til you ate since your workout ended (meaning you should eat/drink within 20 mins of the end of workout)

2. your dinner of solid food and prolly not high gi carbs would not be readily absored

3. your postworkout drink is designed to get into the system quickly and effectively, the bloating you experience is normal, but will/should go away quickly enough to be able to eat dinner 60-90 minutes later

Vido
04-10-2003, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't. I've never heard of that product before, but it sounds like it has a lot of simple sugars in it, which should only be taken right after a workout in my opinion.

You have 2 options as I see it:
1) Workout at a different time, so you don't run into this problem.
2) I assume you're having this difficulty because you are being forced to eat "family" meals. If it's that important that you sit down with your family at "dinner" time, then just sit with them and don't eat. I'm usually living on my own, so it isn't a problem, but when I come home I no longer eat with my family. They didn't like it at first, but they've adjusted to the fact that I'm eating on my own schedule, and they're regular "dinner" time isn't going to change for me.

bradley
04-10-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Airflight89
When I take my Post work out shake right after working out, I find that I have a hard time eating a big dinner. Would it be ok if I ate dinner right after working out, then consuming my P.W.S? I'm taking the Max Muscle Big Max which has 610 cals so it kinda fills me up.

How much time is there between your post workout shake and when you usually eat dinner? Are you mixing the shake with water, and if so how much?

Another option would be to drink the shake throughout your workout, or workout earlier so you can drink your shake earlier. I agree in that there wouldn't be much point in drinking a post workout shake after eating a regular meal other than just increasing calorie intake.

Airflight89
04-10-2003, 03:19 AM
How much time is there between your post workout shake and when you usually eat dinner? Are you mixing the shake with water, and if so how much?

As Vido guessed, I do have a set time to eat dinner with "the family". I eat dinner within half an hour of consuming my post workout shake and I am mixing the shake with 12 oz. of skim milk.

bradley
04-10-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Airflight89

As Vido guessed, I do have a set time to eat dinner with "the family". I eat dinner within half an hour of consuming my post workout shake and I am mixing the shake with 12 oz. of skim milk.

I would recommend mixing the shake with 12oz of water and might want to start drinking the shake about 30 minutes before your workout is up. Just sip throughout and that way it can be digesting and hopefully you will have an appetite for dinner.

The reason I say water is because the milk will slow the absorbtion of the shake, which is not really ideal postworkout. The milk is also probably not helping with the appetite either.