PDA

View Full Version : Building a body without supplements

WeakSauceAsian
04-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I've done searches, but as you can imagine "no supplements" and "unsupplemented" don't exactly bring forth droves of information...

I don't supplement at all, no protein shakes, no creatine, etc. I do however take a multiple vitamin and a B complex (so, yes, I suppose that's a very minor form of supplementation - but not according to Shawn Ray :p).

I'm wondering about what kind of diet and foods I should be looking at to help recovery, energy, etc. besides the regular 1-1.2 grams of protein per lb and 30% carbs?

And I realize this is an open ended question since I don't refer cutting, bulking, or any number of other, more specifying elements. On either end, I'd like information and hope this thread gets plenty of input. I have read a bunch on here about key foods, etc., but am wondering, since I'm going at this completely unsupplemented, if there are certain things I should pay attention to.

Thanks in advance,

WSA

CBates
04-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Fruits and veggies if you're not getting enough vitamins and fiber.. Diary products if you're not getting enough calcium. Fish to get omega 3's.

Berserker
04-10-2003, 02:28 PM
As long as your eating plenty of good protein,and getting enough cals you really don't need any supplements.
I am curious, are you anti supplements? The only thing I am really for is protein poweder.

_-_v_-_
04-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Why oppose protein powder when you eat meat?

Makes no sense...

bradley
04-10-2003, 04:44 PM
I would say follow the same diet that is recommended for others. Make sure you get a wide varitey of foods such as fruits and vegetables, protein from lean sources, and low GI carbs.

As far as protein I would try and vary the sources. Things like fish, lean red meat, chicken, eggs, and dairy products come to mind. Postworkout you could eat some high GI foods like white rice, white bread, or get some smarties candy. Get some healthy fats in there as well. Things like fish, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter would be good IMO.

WeakSauceAsian
04-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Bradley, you're the man- thanks for the great information. At the risk of beating a dead horse, why white rice and not brown? I don't understand this.

- v- it makes sense to me because i'm not familiar with the processes of how protein powders are created... and as such, don't really feel comfortable taking them. As little as "natural" foods are not really natural it seems, i'll still take a chicken breast over white powder, but that's my POV.

Ironman8
04-10-2003, 05:31 PM
I think you should pick the brown rice over the white rice. Brown has more vitamins, as doesn't get converted into glucose as fast as white rice.

_-_v_-_
04-10-2003, 07:36 PM
Ah, I understand.

Why not educate yourself about how protein powder is manufactured?

MrWebb78
04-10-2003, 07:40 PM
i only supplement for postworkout, with a protien powder and multivitamin, everything else is food

WeakSauceAsian
04-10-2003, 09:06 PM
- v- an excellent point, but I think that kind of data is fairly, if not very hard, to come across (at least in details).

This will sound somewhat funny... but from what i understand, cheerios can seriously increase your chances of cancer due to the super high heats at which it's been cooked. nuts.

PaulB
04-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
As long as your eating plenty of good protein,and getting enough cals you really don't need any supplements.
I am curious, are you anti supplements? The only thing I am really for is protein poweder.

:withstupi

and -v- everything you say is smartass,
no idea why i find it funny

Berserker
04-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by WeakSauceAsian
- v- an excellent point, but I think that kind of data is fairly, if not very hard, to come across (at least in details).

This will sound somewhat funny... but from what i understand, cheerios can seriously increase your chances of cancer due to the super high heats at which it's been cooked. nuts.
Well you better buy a cow and keep it in the backyard, grazing on your homegrown grain.
I don't beleive in going out of my way for trouble, but I am also not gonna worry about every little thing. If I had cheerios in the house I'd be eating them right now.

_-_v_-_
04-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Weak--

In a sense, I empathize with you. I would LIKE to take supplements, but I can't -- fatal food allergies (to whey, for one).

But, for the sake of argument, let's assume that the supplement in question is simply whey protein powder -- pure, unadulterated whey. Given that whey protein is naturally occuring, and that it has merely been isolated and hydrolyzed, would you still be opposed to taking this particular supplement?

Or is, perhaps, the issue that you simply cannot [i] know [i] if the supplement in question is trule "pure, unadulterated whey"?

WeakSauceAsian
04-11-2003, 12:51 AM
I love it. I'm not going to bother with a response. Thanks for the help to the guys who actually tried to.

bradley
04-11-2003, 02:55 AM
At the risk of beating a dead horse, why white rice and not brown? I don't understand this.

The white rice has been stripped of its fiber and is high on the GI index which would be ideal postworkout to help refill muscle glycogen quickly. The fiber would slow the absorbtion which is not really ideal postworkout.

bradley
04-11-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I think you should pick the brown rice over the white rice. Brown has more vitamins, as doesn't get converted into glucose as fast as white rice.

Notice that I said postworkout. At other times throughout the day brown rice would be better IMO.

Postworkout you could eat some high GI foods like white rice, white bread, or get some smarties candy.