PDA

View Full Version : Diet help for a heart patient

Madd Hatter
04-10-2003, 01:17 PM
My dad has 5-7 blockages of 90-100%. He's going under the knife tomorrow, and if he makes it, he's gonna need a pretty clean diet.

He CLAIMS he eats stuff like Slim-Fast, granola bars, healthy choice dinners and grilled chicken, and has recently switched off pop to tea. But he hasn't lost any weight. I dunno if he has a thyroid problem or what. He's somewhere around 6'3" 340lbs. But anyway.... I started telling him all the things I ate, then realized half of them won't work because they have high sodium/cholesterol. Now, he can't cook hardly at all, so that limits it as well. So far on the list I have:

Oatmeal
WW toast and natural peanut butter
Unsalted dry roasted peanuts
skim milk
grilled skinless chicken (foreman grill)
baked potatoes
rice

Also, I thought there was something really wrong about Slim-Fast? Would it be better if I got him some Optimum Whey instead? Is it as filling? I know I can't get him Nlarge, he doesn't need to become diabetic as well. What else can we put on this list? What about fast/restaurant food that's ok so he knows what he can eat when he goes out?

MrWebb78
04-10-2003, 01:40 PM
add oatmeal, fish, yogurt, unsweetened cereals, egg beaters, all fruits and vegetables.

make sure he starts getting active! exercise is key to strengthen his heart and lower cholesterol

best of luck with everything, my dad had quintuple bypass surgery about 4 years ago, worst day of my life, but since he quit smoking and has cleaned up his diet quite a bit.

Ironman8
04-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Excercise is most important. Oatmeal helps alot too. And those poly and mono unsaturated fats

Ironman8
04-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Oh yeah, I hope your dad makes it through the surgery. I'll be keeping him in my thoughts :thumbup: