PDA

View Full Version : keto

pagan058
04-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Aight here is the thing....I called out my Anatomy professor today about the keto diet....She said it wasnt very good because when you use protein as energy the byproducts are ammonia and some other substance I cant recall...which is correct...but where I had a problem with this...it when she said that during this diet you use protein as you main source of energy. Is that not bull****! I thought you had certain days where you loaded up on carbs to replenish your muscles with glucose. And during the week you used fat as your main energy source. Am i not correct?

Magnus
04-10-2003, 10:21 PM
Your professor is an idiot.

pagan058
04-10-2003, 11:06 PM
thanx bro....i thought so too

Ironman8
04-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Is she a nutritionist?

raniali
04-11-2003, 12:04 PM
sadly - but understandably - not ever college professor is well-versed in every subject. so just because she teaches anatomy, does not mean she understands the endocrine system or has any real clue to what a keto diet is.

pagan058
04-11-2003, 01:26 PM
If she is an anatomy professor The Endocrine System is part of human anatomy....a subject she should be well versed in....And if she didnt know what she was talkin about she should have kept her mouth shut.....thats all im a sayin

Ibanez
04-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Protein for energy on keto? Yep, just becaue they have a degree doesn't mean they know it. Like my bio teacher. Telling me crap about keto and doesn't know anything about it, same with friends too.

ectx
04-14-2003, 06:32 PM
I agree with your professor...to a certain extent. Did you explain which kind of ketogenic diet you're on? A strict keto diet can be zero carb, all fat and protein in which case she'd be correct. You'd also have extreme mental lethargy becuase your brain hates running on ketones. You can't expect a physiologist or general biology professor to be a nutritionist. That information is not in their curriculum, and even most nutritionists will argue against ketogenic diets because they are relatively new and go against traditional dogma. My biochemistry prof. provided the same information. He's far from ignorant. The guy helped solve the kreb cycle. I guess what I'm saying is that energy metabolism is a lot more complicated, and diets have subtle variations and nuances. You can't expect your prof to instantly know this information, especially if it's out of thier area of expertise.

*edit...and yes, protein can be used for energy....not the most efficient thing, but it happens.

pagan058
04-14-2003, 06:41 PM
Good ass reply man.....What i was sayin is that "if" she doesnt know exactly what she is talkin about...she should keep her mouth closed and not act like she knows everything. Most keto diets for (bodybuilders) require a carb load usually two days out of the week....to replenish their muscles with glycogen.......But yeah your response was what I was looking for.....