PDA

View Full Version : up, down, around and back.

as0l0
04-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Heya everyone.

I've been on Atkins for a bit now and came down from 103.5 (kg's) to 92.5 (kg's) or around 200 pounds. When I started Atkins my goal weight was 82, so technically I still have 10 kg's to go.

But..my bigger plan was to go down to 82 and come back up to 90 with muscle.

So I've been thinking that rather than go all that way down in weight and then come back up again, that I can really just stay near my current weight by replacing fat with muscle.

Is that valid ? or do I need to go all the way down and then back up again.....

I've started on CKD this week and have done my upper / lower earlier in the week and 3 x cardio. I'll be starting my depletion workout this morning and then carb up.

I spose the tweaks I may do is less or more cardio or less or more lifting....although perhaps someone could advise me on the wisdom of a caloric deficit at this point of my journey ?

bradley
04-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by as0l0
So I've been thinking that rather than go all that way down in weight and then come back up again, that I can really just stay near my current weight by replacing fat with muscle.

Well you can't turn muscle into fat. With that being said it really just depends on your goals. When trying to gain muscle you are more than likely going to put on a little bf so that is something that you should take into consideration. Other than that the decision is up to you. Do you want to continue focusing on losing bf or try and gain some muscle?

raniali
04-11-2003, 04:50 PM
i think you are going to have trouble (not that it is impossible) to build any noticeable muscle while on a CKD. you are better off choosing one or the other (continuing to diet or beginning to grow) and adjust your diet and training accordingly.

a thought just hit me -- if you are coming off of a strict atkins, there might be some temporary benefit for you during the switch to CKD with the weekend carb loads. its worth trying a ckd for the next few weeks and re-evaluating how you feel and look and whether that is any closer to your goals or not.

there have been several threads on the re-introduction of carbs so you might want to do a search on that point.

as0l0
04-11-2003, 08:47 PM
I was kinda hoping to build muscle while using some of my fat for fuel.

as far as goals go, I'm probably more clear on what I don't want. I don't want to be a scrawny flabby 80kgs.

I think I'll ckd and lift /cardio for the next few weeks and see how it goes. thanks for your help !

Ironman8
04-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Well, if your planning on doing cardio, it would be pretty hard (but as Ranalai said, not impossible) to gain muscle. IMO, lose the fat from doing cardio, then build muscle afterwards (with cardio once in a while).

aka23
04-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by as0l0
I've been on Atkins for a bit now and came down from 103.5 (kg's) to 92.5 (kg's) or around 200 pounds. When I started Atkins my goal weight was 82, so technically I still have 10 kg's to go.

But..my bigger plan was to go down to 82 and come back up to 90 with muscle.

I've started on CKD this week and have done my upper / lower earlier in the week and 3 x cardio. I'll be starting my depletion workout this morning and then carb up.

I spose the tweaks I may do is less or more cardio or less or more lifting....although perhaps someone could advise me on the wisdom of a caloric deficit at this point of my journey ?

It is quite common for untrained or overweight persons to gain muscle while losing fat. Studies of persons who of persons who are new to exercising usually show this effect when they do a combination of cardio and lifting. If you have been working out for a long time and reached a point where you find it difficult to gain muscle or lose fat, then it will be probably be very difficult to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

You could try setting your calories near a maintenance level so your weight remained stable while doing a combination of cardio and lifting. If gaining muscle is a priority, then you might want to increase calories slightly above maintenance. If losing fat is a priority, then you might want to set calories slightly below maintenance. Atkins would probably be a poor diet for such a program because carbs are your primary fuel for lifting, and lack of carbs would likely intefere with your workouts and recovery.

Note that you are likely to gain muscle or lose fat at a faster rate if you emphasize on one activity or the other. Setting calories such that you gain about 1lb/week would maximize muscle gains, but would probably result in some fat gain. Similarly setting calories such that you maximized fat loss would likely result in some muscle loss. The ideal program depends on your goals.

as0l0
04-12-2003, 03:27 PM
looking at some other threads, this looks like a pretty regular topic, so thanks for the answers despite that.

Based on what you all have said, my plan now will most likely be CKD, with 2 lifting sessions (plus depletion) and 4 or 5 cardio with a calorie deficit.

I expect that will make me lose fat. I may lose some muscle, but on the other hand I haven't done any weight training for....ever...yes I mean never, so I may see some benifit. If I don't, then bah! no matter, I will see muscle gain once I drop fat and switch diet.

thanks again!