PDA

View Full Version : The holy journal of the mighty lifter

Bruise Brubaker
04-11-2003, 08:44 PM
HEY HEY!

I'm trading my old cursed routine for a holy westside-influenced one. I use the occasion to put my routine on the mighty WWB forums as I'm tired of using the doomed Windows notepad.

Let me introduce myself: my name is Thor and I am mighty.
By the way I'm from Québec (french), so English is a second language for me.

Stats:
BODYWEIGHT: ~185 pounds
BF: I don't care. If I contract my abs I can see the first two rows, but I seem to carry all my fat on my posterior chain.

Barbell Bench: 230*1
Cleans: 200*1
TrapBar Deadlift: 365*1
//GRIP Chins: me+70pounds*1

I've been lifting since november of 2001. I've been training once a week (at the very small school gym) from that day to the summer of 2002, I then took a week off, then trained 3.5 times a week for 3 months, then took 2 weeks off, then trained once a week for 4 weeks, then took 2 weeks off, and NOW training like a holy beast since the beginning of January (thrice every 6 days).

My main objective is powerful strenght, but I'll also slowly bulk for undetermined holy periods of time. I'm not thinking about competing, I do it to release mighty tension (healtier than killiing people) and because I love progressing (hitting new prs).

I'll post my holy routine soon.

Bruise Brubaker
04-11-2003, 08:57 PM
The mighty division is:

DAY 1-I: ME BENCH DAY
DAY 2: REST
DAY 3-II: DE LEGS DAY
DAY 4: REST
DAY 5-III: DE BENCH DAY+BACK
DAY 6-IV: ME LEG DAY
DAY 7: REST

I'm not very strict about my holy routine. I do what I feel I should do. I don't care if I miss a day from time to time. Supplemental rest is rarely bad.

BTW I'm not going to post my diet as I don't count my calories. I eat healthy and the only supplement I am taking is a multi-vitamins once a day and 500mg of Vitamin C (cut in two doses). Both are from Kirkland's Signature.

MY HOLY ROUTINE SHALL ALWAYS BE REFERED AS "THE HOLY ROUTINE".

rookiebldr
04-11-2003, 09:25 PM
:spam:

What the hell ;)

Bruise Brubaker
04-11-2003, 09:28 PM
WEEK 1: DAY I Sunday the 13th

Flat Bench Press: making my way to 235*1 then I'll try 240*1.

235*1, then 240*1! Felt easy. When I succed my max effort lifts it always seems easy because I go through my sticking point very quickly.

What was different than usual:
I used a closer grip, about a finger-width closer.
I lifted in the afternoon instead of the evening.

I really think that using less of pecs while benching is really ideal for me. When doing speed bench recently I've felt that I was a little faster when using a closer grip than usual.

I recently read on elitefts.com how it's important to use more of the triceps when benching, it's safer for the shoulders. We often hear of shoulders and pecs injuries, but how often do we hear of triceps injuries?

Incline Dumbell Press: 3 sets.

65s*5,60s*5,55s*5

Lying dumbell tricep extension on a decline bench: 2 sets. Never done them before.

I really felt how unbalanced my triceps strenght is. What added to the difference is that my left shoulder is weaker, so when doing the incline db press my left arm probably used more triceps...

Front raises: 2 sets.

20s*6, 25s*5

It's an exercise I had'nt done for a long time.

DB bicep curl

35s*6,6,4
Only hit faillure on 3rd set. I do heavy back work on another day so I go light on biceps.

DB External rotation of the shoulder

15s*10, 20s*6

I'm eating tuna right now, straight out of the can. It's funny how everybody else think it's smell while I don't smell it anymore. I learned to appreciate the taste. I remember when eating my first can of tuna, the next day everything seemed to smell like tuna.

Bruise Brubaker
04-11-2003, 09:38 PM
Lol, my first official spam :)

MonStar
04-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Nice journal Magnus, impressive weights. Good luck.

Ironman8
04-12-2003, 09:34 AM
Yes, very impressive. Good luck :thumbup:

Bruise Brubaker
04-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the comments. :strong:

Bruise Brubaker
04-13-2003, 02:51 PM
When I'll acheive those goals, I'll concentrate on evening my arms/shoulders strenght.

Benching: 250 lbs.

What else? I don't think of anything else so that's all.

Bruise Brubaker
04-13-2003, 03:00 PM
I also add that everytime I go the gym I do 20 reps of back extension followed by hamstring stretching.

Bruise Brubaker
04-13-2003, 03:21 PM
By the way I do my bench with no arch, no pause, quick negative but no bouncing.

Bruise Brubaker
04-15-2003, 11:04 AM
WEEK 1: DAY II Tuesday the 15th
short day

Powercleans: I do many singles, depends how I feel

135*3,145*2,155*1,165*1,185*1,205*1,215*1

Box Squat: The "box" (smith machine bench) might be too high but that's the only thing I can use...

225*3 for 4 sets

Hyperextension

+40lbs*25

Abs crunch (using a pulley machine for resistance)

80*8

I don't write my warm-ups. At the beginning of my workout there are always some hyperextension and some rotator cuff light work.
There is always some low volume stretching at the end of the day or between the sets.

Bruise Brubaker
04-16-2003, 07:20 PM
WEEK 1: DAY III Thursday the 17th

DE BENCH + HOLY BACK

I don't isolate the traps, powercleans make them sore.

//GRIP chin-ups (weighted)

working my way to me+75lbs*1+1 toe assisted + 3 negatives

Speed Benching (done with 3 grips: "normal", closer, then what would be considered "close grip benching"): 8 sets

I'm going to use 155 lbs, which is 65% of my max. I use more than the recommended 55-60%, but I feel that I could send 135 lbs through the roof, which is too fast so I have to slow down at the top... I guess that 243 pounds might feel heavy to a 405 pounds bencher, while 144 pounds feels like nothing for a 240 pounds bencher.

155*3*8

Some tricep work, one arm at a time because I want to balance my arms

blah

DB Bicep curls: 2 set

40s*6,*4

Reverse flies (machine)

195*6

DB External rotation of the shoulder

15s*10

Bruise Brubaker
04-19-2003, 02:52 PM
WEEK 1: DAY IIII (nyah) Saturday the 19th

It's my leg day but I should rather call it a posterior chain day.

Conventional Deadlift

It's the first time I go heavy with a normal bar deadlift (used to use a trap bar).

Made my way to a single with 335 pounds. It was easy and I think I'll quickly reach the big round 400 (or 405).

My grip seems to not be strong enough, I might start to use straps, and then work my grip. I want my personnal records to always stay strapless though.

Hyperextensions

Holding a 60 pounds dumbell: *25,*22

ABS

+80pounds(pulley)*7,then (?)

This is less than last time I did them but this time I had much more fatigue so this mean nothing.

Bruise Brubaker
04-19-2003, 02:53 PM
Tomorrow the gym is closed :(

In fact I don't care. I'll rest in peace.

Bruise Brubaker
04-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Ô Glorious Soreness
Will fill me with happyness
Intensity is the key to glory

Ô intensity
You are the ultimate key
What the hell am I doing

This is complete non-sense.

Bruise Brubaker
04-20-2003, 12:04 PM
I've got my new avatar from a picture on http://www.deanandnigel.co.uk (someone talked about it on the general chat forum) that website is very funny.

Bruise Brubaker
04-21-2003, 01:48 PM
------------------------------WEEK 2: DAY I --------------------------------***************************************************

Chest/Triceps/Biceps day (ME)

There's always a rotator cuff warming at the beginning of my work-outs. I also do a set of hyperextension (bodyweight*20) followed by 2 sets of hamstring stretching.

Flat dumbell press

35s*3,50s*3,60s*2,70s*1,75s*1,80s*1,85s*1 (last time I had done those I was weaker so I didn't know what weight to use)

and finaly 90s*0 (huh), 90s*2+1spotter (I was more focused and my grip was more natural-not straight like when holding a barbell but diagonal-... I might not have gone as low as usual on the second rep (and third) but my chest comes in the way of the dumbell plates. I guess that those who use very heavy dumbells (like the 120s) they have to use a paralel grip?

I'm looking forward benching the 140s!!! My gym dumbells go from 100 to 120, then to 140 (actually I think I could add a 2.5 pounds to all my dumbell weights as it's the weight of the dumbell bar). If I could get the 140s by the end of the year I'd be very impressed by my progress. I do not particularly want it.

Lying dumbell tricep extension

25s*4

I actualy feel a slight pain in my shoulders and elbows when doing tricep isolation, one arm at a time... It's the only exercise causing that. I'll drop em!!!

Dumbell decline bench

I've decided that from now I'd bench instead of doing tricep work like the normal westside routine asks for. DB Decline Benching has always given me sore triceps.

65s*7,7,7,7

Pec flies (machine)

200lbs*5
I give me 3 months to max that machine. I hate machines and I show them my power by maxing them (which I rarely do, but I went to a different gym once and I could do many reps with the max weight on the pullover machine. I should have brang my crowbar).

DB Bicep curl

35s*6/6 (alternating the reps between each arm)

I see on http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBDeclineBenchPress.html that the biceps are "dynamic stabilizers" when doing decline bench. I dunno what that mean but I always felt my biceps working a little when decline benching. Plus the biceps work a little on the pec flies, as I use them so my elbow is flexed, thereforce not receiving all the tension. Something I use my biceps a little more at the end of the rom on pec flies, and it's a weaker point and I wanted to reach a higher degree of faillure.

DB External Rotations

many light sets (while waiting between db flat bench maxing), 20s*7.

Bruise Brubaker
04-23-2003, 07:32 PM
I decided that I begin a grip experiment, which consist of training the grip very often with not much volume, mainly doing static holds. My grip is too weak.

Bruise Brubaker
04-23-2003, 07:35 PM
I want to experiment many different things on me, like when I'll bulk I'll try a high volume (well I'm used to a low volume, sometime close to HIT, so for me a high volume isn't that high) to see my limits.

I think that finding what is best for me soon in my lifting career will help me in a far future.

Bruise Brubaker
04-23-2003, 07:52 PM
-----------------------WEEK 2: DAY II -------------------------***************************************************

|Leg Press|

I only write the number of 45 lbs plates I've used in total.

I hate loading it. It's a workout by itself.

Heaviest sets: 16p*12,18p*5

The rom isn't as great as the others on the heaviest sets but

|Calves raise| On hack squat machine

Heaviest sets cuz I don't remember the the others: 6p+2*25*6

Some |static holds| up to 355 for like 2 seconds. My grips weaken very fast, it seems I could hold a lot on the first set but my strenght quickly disappear. With a trap bar I could deadlift 365 with it and hold it for a few seconds at the top. I guess that it's easier because the lats can actually help holding the weight by trying to bring my hands to my side.

I know that chalk would probably help me a lot, as the bar tends to mainly slip from my hands. But what I'm interested in is useful grip strenght, and I don't think chalk would make me progress faster, it would only help me put more poundage on the bar.

LONG LIVE TO CALLUSES!!!!!

Bruise Brubaker
04-24-2003, 08:21 PM
-------------------------WEEK 2: DAY III -------------------------***************************************************

DE Bench, Back

|Speed benching

135*3
155*3*9 (3 different grips, from "normal" to close grip)
200*1 twice, close grip - The reps weren't as fast as needed, so I won't often do that kind of sets-

|Parallel grips CHIN-UPS|

Many warm-ups with ~15 pounds increments, usually I begin with bodyweight * 3, then +15 pounds * 2, then singles.

I did 75*1½ -I failled around the middle range of the second rep, the bottom is much easier for me- + 6 negatives, about 4 seconds each (counted in my head).

My objective is to reach +75lbs for 8 reps. I have no idea how much time it will take, probably a lot. I want to at least do 2½ reps within 3 "back training".

I've been going heavy for my chins for many weeks, so I want to increase the reps for some time before going heavy again.

|Dips| Staying as upright as possible to mainly hit the triceps
+45lbs*5,5,5

|Wrist extension|

30lbs*10,40lbs*4½,30lbs*8

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 05:00 AM
great job with the chin-ups! keep up the good work.

Bruise Brubaker
04-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Thank you GhettoSmurf.

Bruise Brubaker
04-27-2003, 04:01 PM
------------------------WEEK 2: DAY IIII ------------------------***************************************************

|DEADLIFT|

The carry over between trap bar deadlift and conventional deadlift seems to be very good. This is my second time doing heavy conventional deadlift. I was already prepared though by doing powercleans. I used a mixed grip for my sets over 300.

135*3,185*2,225*1,275*1
315*1,335,\\\365*1///

|DB Shrugs|

They are also for my grips

60s*6,80s*6 (rarely done them before, so I had to find the right weight),100s*6,140s*3

|Calves raise| Hack squat machine

360 (4 plates per side) *6, quickly followed by 270*6.
270*6 again

|Hyperextensions|

Many sets. I tried to find a way to continue to do them weighted, because holding a 60 pounds DB with my hands was too hard.

So I took an EZ-Bar and found out a way to put it on the bottom of my neck after being set up on the hyperextension thing. The EZ-Bar weights something between 15 and 20 pounds, I decided to consider it as 15 pounds.

bw+75*5
bw+65*9

It's also harder than when I was using a DB because the weight is further.

By the way I do my hyperextensions with a rounded back (the erector spinae extends as I get up).

|DB Shoulder external rotations|

Many warm-ups sets, 20s*10,20s*8

I'll be soon able to do a lot of reps with 20 pounds db, and I'm not sure if I should ever use the 25 pounds DB.

Bruise Brubaker
04-28-2003, 07:36 PM
-------------------------WEEK 2: DAY I --------------------------***************************************************

|BB Bench Press|

225*2½,225*1½

I was very close to the third rep both time. That isn't really progress though.

Next week I'll do 225*3, the week after I'll do 235*2, the I'll try to max at 250. So I should bench 250 pounds the 18th of May. I think I can do it, if I don't I'm pretty sure I'll get it the following week.

After that I'll go into a period of less heavy work, working more on reps, to ultimately do a 250*5 before the beginning of next shool year (~August 15th). Might come faster (or not...)if I begin to eat more.

|DECLINE DB BP|

70s*6,6,6,6,8

Frebruary 10th, I was doing 80s*6 as the first set to faillure.

One day I'll come back to decline benching. This is when doing them that I did the most progress on flat bb bench. I was doing like 190*3, and many weeks later after doing only decline bench, I came back to flat bb bench and I did the same as my old personal record, but after having done 2 sets to faillure!

|DB Bicep Curl|

45s*4,2,2

I go heavy this week on these cuz I'll go very light on my back workout. I'll go heavy on my back workout next week.

|Pulley abs crunch|

90*4 immediately followed by 80*4,then 80*6

Bruise Brubaker
05-01-2003, 07:33 PM
--------------WEEK 2: some DAY II and DAY III --------------***************************************************

I had an exam today, that's why I didn't workout yesterday. I decided to do my day 3 consisting of back and de bench and I incorporated some of day 2 (de legs).

|parallel grip chin-ups|

Very similar to last week, I did me+75#*1.75 reps. But it could be considered 2 reps, as it seems that the last part of the rom at the top is in fact very very weak, and that only the momentum can make me go as high.

|Speed benching|

155*3reps*9sets

|Reverse flies| Done on machine

200*7,195*5

Some sets of 3 reps of Front Squat and Powercleans with 135 pounds.

Bruise Brubaker
05-03-2003, 06:37 PM
-------WEEK 2: DAY IIII (I know my roman numbers nyah nyah nyah)---------***************************************************

Short day...

|Deadlift|

Maxed at 375*1 with a mixed grip.

Next week I'll use another main exercise on my leg day. I might for some time do instead front squats, weighted hyperextensions, heavy abs work and heavy grip work (with in mind the goal of being able to hold 405 lbs with a mixed grip for at least 5 seconds). And speed deadlift so I do not lose the groove.

I've always experimented good progress on an exercise when doing alternatives for some weeks to strenghten all the links.

|Hyperextenions|

I hold an ez-bar on the bottom of my neck, that I put there from the bottom position of the hyperextenion. That's the best way I found out to do them weighted without getting tired biceps and grip. The EZ-Bar weights a little more than 15 pounds but I'm not totally sure of its weight, so I'll consider it as 15 pounds.

+65lbs*17,*13

1 set of hips adduction and 1 of hips abduction.

I'm working toward the splits. I've never been very flexible, even when I was 12 years old I couldn't touch my toes doing the classical straight-leg-rounded-back-that-put-pressure-on-discs stretch.

I use the stretching routine found on http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrjb/Stretch/stretching_7.html .

Bruise Brubaker
05-05-2003, 07:18 PM
-------------------------WEEK 3: DAY I --------------------------***************************************************

|BB Floor Press|

Maxed at 225*1.

It was my first time doing those. I had a weird installation, using the place where you rack the bar on that thing in my gym for biceps curl (with the thing for preacher curls).

I like this exercise very much and continue to use it. The main thing is that the bottom of the movement, when the triceps rest on the floor, is right at my sticking point on regular bench press. This and the fact that it was my first time explain that my max is smaller than on normal benching.

|DB Decline bench|

80s*4,4,4,5

I only reach faillure on last set. I wanted to do more reps by using the 75s but they were used.

|DB Bicep Curl|

45s*4

Some abs work too.

Bruise Brubaker
05-07-2003, 07:24 PM
-------------------------WEEK 3: DAY II --------------------------***************************************************

DE Legs.

Mainly speed deadlift. 225*3 for 8 sets.

Bruise Brubaker
05-08-2003, 07:59 PM
-------------------------WEEK 3: DAY III --------------------------***************************************************

DE BENCH

Mainly speed bench (huh) with 160*3 for 9 sets.
Then I did 205*1 and 225*1. For this second single I paused about 1 second on my chest, because I tend to bump a little. Still my speed was very good.

Bruise Brubaker
05-11-2003, 02:04 PM
I tend to keep all my work-outs into my head, most of the time I remember what I did the last time.

So for some time I won't write much in my journal except my PRs on main movements.

I'm working very much on my leg flexibility. I stretch 4 times a weak (after every workout) on a stretching routine based on PNF technique. I also do "light" stretch on mornings (recommended time for those who don't have the possibility of a good warm-up).

I'd like by example to be able to squat down very low while still having a quasi-perpendicular back (to the ground). I'd also like to do the split.

In only a few weeks my flexibility has already very visibly increased (thanks to PNF).

Bruise Brubaker
05-11-2003, 03:55 PM
|BB Floor Press|

230*1

Bruise Brubaker
05-13-2003, 07:09 PM
[Hang cleans]

Slight flexion of the knee, then I quickly use bring the bar up and drop into the bottom of a front squat. I do these mainly to work that portion of the full clean, because I tend to upright row the bar instead of quickly lowering my body to catch the bar.

175*1,185*miss-and-made-a-lot-of-noise

[Abs]

80*10

Bruise Brubaker
05-18-2003, 11:44 AM
ME legs

Maxed for the first time on Front Squat with 225 pounds.

I try to go very low on them. I stop just before the bar touch the safety things of the squat rack.

Bruise Brubaker
05-20-2003, 06:36 PM
ME Bench

230*2,225*2

I should have tried 235*2. Anyway next week I do 245*1 then I "try" 250*1. After reaching that goal I'll go less heavy some time, and then set 315*1 as a goal. If I work this summer, I'll have more money so I'll be able to eat more instead of maintaining my weight like I've been for some time. Bulking will certainly help my strenght.

Bruise Brubaker
05-20-2003, 06:37 PM
I always write strenght instead of strenght... errrrr strength.

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
hey magnus, looks like your making some good progress. sorry i havent posted in your journal much ;)

mind if i ask you a question? when you do front squats, whats a good way to hold the barbell? do you cross your arms over the BB? or is there a better way? when i cross my arms over the BB it just feels kind of akward(sp?) on my arms.

Bruise Brubaker
05-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Hey,

I cross my arms, like that guy --> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBFrontSquat.html

Your problem is weird because it doesn't feel akward at all for me.
You don't need to use your arm much, if the form is correct the weight stay on the deltoids by itself.

If you have the required wrist flexibility, you can also old it that way http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/SQCL1_1.gif .

Bruise Brubaker
05-22-2003, 07:49 PM
DE Leg Day

Personal best of the day:

[Hang Cleans]

185*1, then 195*1

It's weird cuz I couldn't do 185*1 last week, but today it felt easy so I did 195*1. Needless to say I'm very statisfied.

Bruise Brubaker
05-26-2003, 08:03 PM
ME BENCH

|BB Bench Press|

250*1 woohoo

I did 230 twice last week, and the exrn.net calculator was calculating 237 as a max.

|bodyweighted parallel grip chin-ups|

Despite having good strength gain in the upper back and in the biceps, I do not have much more endurance.

|db flat bench|

75s*5 for 5 sets.