PDA

View Full Version : Fat digestion

Reinier
04-13-2003, 01:21 AM
I learnt about the chemical process etc

but is it all digested, and then some of the energy made could be stored as fat if its not used, or is fat thats not used just stored right away

so, is all fat eaten dissimilated

bradley
04-13-2003, 05:06 AM
The effeciency of the body to digest and absorb lipids is >90%, unless the individual has liver or gallbladder problems in which this percentage would decrease due to the lack of bile.

With that being said the lipids will be digested and go through other processes in which they will be ready to enter the bloodstream and transported to the cells of the body.

Reinier
04-13-2003, 05:16 AM
so the dissimilation of fats is not dependant on a kcalorie deficit or surplus and it is all turned into glucose and then maybe stored as fat?

if so i was right in this long debate i had with my teacher in school and that would make me very happy

bradley
04-13-2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Reinier
so the dissimilation of fats is not dependant on a kcalorie deficit or surplus

Well the body is going to digest the fat whether you are in a calorie deficit or surplus.

it is all turned into glucose and then maybe stored as fat?

The products of triglyceride digestion are fatty acids, monoglycerides, and glycerol.

Reinier
04-13-2003, 05:47 AM
i know those are the products but neither the brain nor any muscle works on that so obviously it is dissimilated further.

seeing as people on keto who are not getting all their energy from protein can have aerobic dissimilation and the formula for that is
6H2O+C6H12O6+6O2------> 6CO2+12H2O+energy

so obviously glucose is a product of fat dissimilation

Fluid
04-13-2003, 09:26 AM

Only about 10% of lipids are converted to glucose, this is in the absense of carbohydrates.

Fluid

Reinier
04-13-2003, 11:16 AM
then how does fat contain all them calories

Ritzol
04-13-2003, 12:26 PM
It's a lot more complicated to breakdown fats...so more energy is used in that process itself.

Reinier
04-14-2003, 12:20 AM
that makes no sense.

aka23
04-14-2003, 09:52 AM
i know those are the products but neither the brain nor any muscle works on that so obviously it is dissimilated further.

seeing as people on keto who are not getting all their energy from protein can have aerobic dissimilation and the formula for that is
6H2O+C6H12O6+6O2------> 6CO2+12H2O+energy

then how does fat contain all them calories

C6H12O6 + 6 O2 ------> 6 H2O + 6 CO2 + 36 ATP is a formula for the carbohydrate metabolism (cancelled extra 6H20 from both sides of your equation). Fat metabolism typically follows a different, more complex set of equations that do not involve glucose. Palmitic acid (a saturated fat) would yield ~138 ATP in most cases. ATP yields roughly 7.3kcal/mole. Glucose can be derived from fat via gluconeogenisis with glycerol during special situations such as extended starvation or ketosis.

Ritzol
04-14-2003, 03:32 PM
that makes no sense.

Do you think that digestion just happens... it doesn't need energy? It needs energy

Reinier
04-15-2003, 08:11 AM
of course it needs energy. but you sayd it as tho fat dissimilation was not an energy profitable process.

aka I thought all aerobic dissimilation involved glucose. sorry