PDA

View Full Version : Starting cutting... here is my plan. Opinions?

intensity
04-13-2003, 04:53 PM
This will be my second time ever cutting. I'm an ectomorph, so losing weight is pretty damn easy for me. Making sure it is mostly fat is the problem.

My first time cutting I know for a fact that I did it wrong, and lost way too much muscle. I bulked from 120lbs to 180lbs over the course of a couple of years, and cut down to 150lbs, and still wasn't ripped. I lost 1lb a week for what seemed like every week without fail until I got on the scale and saw 150 and basically said, ok, I did something wrong, time to try again. I added too much cardio too soon and got rid of too many calories all way too fast. Here is how I'm planning on starting it this time. Let me know what you think please.

First, I'm not adding any cardio at ALL.

Second, I'm going to get rid of about 300 calories worth of carbs to start.

I am currently eating around 250-260 grams of a protein a day. (I'm 185-190lbs)

My weightlifting routine will stay exactly the same. No higher rep crap. Still going lift as though I am still bulking, meaning I'm still going to try and make increases. If (when) strength starts to decrease, my new goal will be to maintain my current lifts.

Once I see that I have stopped losing weight for about 2 or 3 weeks in a row, I will drop another 300 calories worth of carbs. Protein and fat intake (which only comes from nuts, olive oil, etc.) will always stay at what they are right now.

My only supplements are protein powder and bars, and 10 grams of l-glutamine a day (plus 5 which is already in the protein powder, so I guess it's 15 grams a day)

This is my plan right now. Hopefully it sounds perfect to you, and if not, please let me know what you think I need to change. I want to do this perfect this time. I am willing to be as strict as humanly possible. Thanks a lot!

bradley
04-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by intensity

Second, I'm going to get rid of about 300 calories worth of carbs to start.

Once I see that I have stopped losing weight for about 2 or 3 weeks in a row, I will drop another 300 calories worth of carbs. Protein and fat intake (which only comes from nuts, olive oil, etc.) will always stay at what they are right now.

Sounds like a good plan IMO, but as you lose weight you could adjust the other macros as well. Once you find a macronutrient ratio that works well I would recommend sticking with that.

GhettoSmurf
04-14-2003, 05:53 AM
it sounds like you know what you are doing this time around. 2 words - good luck!

intensity
04-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Sounds like a good plan IMO, but as you lose weight you could adjust the other macros as well. Once you find a macronutrient ratio that works well I would recommend sticking with that.

Once I start to lose weight, how exactly do you mean "adjust" the other macros? Thanks for the feedback, by the way.

good luck!

Thanks!

bradley
04-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by intensity

Once I start to lose weight, how exactly do you mean "adjust" the other macros?

Once you find a macronutrient ratio that is working well I would just stick to that. For example, if you find you are losing weight following an isocaloric diet (33% protein/33%carbs/33%fat--throw in the other 1% somewhere:)) then stick with that breakdown. Just decrease each by a small amount which would lower overall calories. Carbs are not the enemy.

Ironman8
04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Carbs are not the enemy.

Excess calories are :)