PDA

View Full Version : GhettoSmurf's Quest

Pages : [1] 2 3

GhettoSmurf
04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Background:
Well I've had a bit of an "odd" life. Growing up I was your basic fat kid. I was athletic, and played a lot of sports, but I ate junk foods constantly. At one point I weighed 240 pounds. But then, I basically went through a stage of anorexia, and I found myself not eating near enough food, and basically doing non-stop running all day. Well after about 6 monhs of putting myself through that hell i realized that i seriously messed up. And I ended up turning myself into a 6'0 pole that weighed 135 pounds. Well now the tides have turned, and I've done loads of research, and searching, and basically beat the anorexia. Now, I plan on HOPEFULLY putting back on all of the muscle that I lost (which believe me, is alot), and get back up to around 170-180 pounds. I don't know how much things like my metabolism have been effected by the period of anorexia, but I plan on aking my time, and doing it right! Wish me luck! :D

Goals:
I hope to at least be able to bench my bodyweight sooner or later, and get back up to 170-180 pounds of MUSCLE! (and maybe a little fat) ;)

Diet Plan:
I plan on trying to eat around 3000-3200 Calories a day with a 40/40/20 macro-nutrient split.

Traing Split:
4-Day Split:
Monday- Chest/Tri's
Tuesday- Back/Bi's
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday- Legs
Friday- Shoulders/Traps
Saturday- Rest
Sunday- Rest

I'll post my diet/training that I did today, tomarrow.
**PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CRITIQUE ANYTHING THAT YOU SEE WRONG OR THAT COULD BE CHANGED**

P.S. All comments are welcome! :)

Shaolin
04-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Good luck with your quest...

I had a similar experience in high school, and can share a few things...

It takes a while to get your body into mass mode again, but in my case my metabolism was sped up pretty significantly. This allowed for some really efficient cardio work and some cheating diet wise. My one regret is that once I lost the weight, I found my legs were damn strong thanks to carrying around the extra pounds for so long - I didn't maintain that strength properly and could have really taken advantage of it.

Try not to stress about diet, but eat healthy and as natural as possible...and take it slow. Real progress muscle-wise takes time.

Hope this helps.

wibble
04-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey GhettoSmurf, glad you've got yourself pointed in the right direction. Now you have to keep your journal updated or we'll all hunt you down and spam you in person instead of in your journal. You don't want that now do you? ;)

Well good luck with your goals man! :)

:spam:

GhettoSmurf
04-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Date:
April 14,2003

Sleep:
7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 1: 2 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 5 eggs (1 whole), 1 Scoop Whey
Meal 2: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 cups Oatmeal (dry, 1 Cup Milk
Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
(Workout)
Meal 5: 1.5 Scoops Whey (I Ordered some dextrose and plan on adding it to my PWO shake when it arrives)
Meal 6: 2 Cups WW Pasta, 1.5 oz. Turkey Breast
Meal 7: 6 oz. Chicken breast, 6 Cups Lettuce
Meal 8: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablesppon Natural PB

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups milk, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Chest/Tri's:
-Flat Bench Press
85x10/90x8/90x8
-Inclined DB Press
25x10/25x10/25x10
-Dips
BW-28x12/BW-22x12
-Flies
30x12
-Close Grip Bench Press
65x8/65x8/65x8
-Skull Crushers
35x8/35x12
Tricep Push Down
70x12/70x12

Comments:
Well my diet went good, training-wise I just wanted to start-off slow and make sure I get the proper form down correctly, and get the "feel" of the different lifts, even though I believe I could have lifted more weight if I tried.

GhettoSmurf
04-15-2003, 06:32 AM
Today I dont feel very sore or anything... so its kind of a downer for me. It makes me feel like I've accomplished somthing if I'm sore the next day.

I wish I knew if i am working my muscles hard enough. Like during the exercises (especially the close-grip bench press) My triceps were like shaking during the lifts, and even though I didnt have a spotter, I still pushed out as many as I felt I safely could w/o getting trapped under the bar, and now today, they arnt very sore or anything. Can anyone comment on this sort of thing?

wibble
04-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Don't worry about it, soreness has nothing to do with how well you've trained. I'm very rarely sore the next day, but I would bet if I tried to do the same workout I probably wouldn't manage to do it with the same intensity. :) I used to feel the same way as you, but its just something you have to let go of, otherwise you'll end up trying to get sore and will overtrain and not gain at all.

So if you don't get sore, count yourself lucky because you're still doing a good job of training and don't have to go around in pain for 2 days later which is annoying as hell. ;)

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 05:18 AM
Date:
April 15, 2003

Sleep:
8 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5: 1.5 Scoops Whey (I Ordered some dextrose and plan on adding it to my PWO shake when it arrives)
Meal 6: 1.5 Cups Yam (cubed), 3 oz. 90/10 ground beef
Meal 7: 8 egg (2 yolk) omelette, 3 cups cauliflower (raw)

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups milk, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Back/Bi's:

-Deadlift
115x8/115x8/125x8

I'm still trying to get my form down with these. But I still got a god workout, I felt a little light-headed near the end of the DL's. But i plan on upping the weight next time.

-Bent Over Barbell Rows
45x8/55x8/55x8

Used the barbell this time, still prety light, trying to get the form down. But when I was in the gym a real nice guy helped me out, and showed me how I can do bent over rows with DB, so I tried that once, and I felt a lot more work in my muscles with the DB's.

-Wide Grip Pullups
BW-52x10

Couldnt decide to do these or lat pull downs, so I did a set of each.

-Seated Cable Rows
60x12/70x10

I really like this exercise for some reasonMy form is great, and I really hope to improve the amount of weight I can do.

-Barbell Curls
40x10/40x10

Went light on these, I think I'll definately try 50 pounds next week.

-Inclined Hammer Curls
20x8/25x6

I got a good burn from doing these. I really liked them, except it was pretty hard to pull off the 25x6, and i think i might have cheated a little at the end. I'll work on it next week.

-LatPull Down
70x7

Couldn't decide between these or wide-grip pullups, so i tried a set of each.

Comments:
Diet went good today, and i felt that the training i did today went good as well. Tommarrow is a rest day, so i'll kick-back and relax!

GhettoSmurf
04-17-2003, 05:06 AM
Date:
April 16, 2003

Sleep:
8.5 Hours (Power went out at night, so I went to bed a bit early)

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5: 1 Cup Black Beans, 3oz. 90/10 Ground Beef
Meal 6: 6 oz. Chicken breast, 6 Cups Lettuce
Meal 7: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablesppon Natural PB

Training:
-Rest Day

Comments:
My back was pretty tight today from yesterdays back workout. Luckily today was a rest day (plus i had to go to work), so hopefully my back will loosen up a bit for thursdays shoulders/traps workout.

GhettoSmurf
04-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Date:
April 17, 2003

Sleep:
~8 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, 1 Cup Wholemeal Pasta , 1 Cup Milk
Meal 5: .75 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
(Workout)
Meal 6 (post-workout): 44g Protein, 40g Dextrose

*Homemade MRP = .75 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Cup milk, 1.5 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Shoulders/Traps

-Shoulder Press
45x10x2/60x10/70x5

-Lateral Raises
15x10x2

-Bent Over Lateral Raises
5x10/7.5x10
*for some reason i dont think i was doing these properly

-Upright Rows
30x10/40x12/50x9

-DB Shrugs
60x10x4

(I know the weight and rep ranges are kind of all over the place for some of these. For some of them im still trying to find the right weight where i can do about 6-8 reps with good form)

Comments:
Diet was good today. Also, finally got the dextrose i ordered. Tomarrow is leg day! Hopefully i wont get too sore or anything becuase i also need to work that day :(

GhettoSmurf
04-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Date:
April 18, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 Cup Oatmeal (dry), 1 Cup Milk
(Workout)
Meal 5 (post-workout): 44g Protein, 40g Dextrose
Meal 6: 1.5 Cups Pasta, 3 oz. chicken
Meal 7: 5 Cups Lettuce, 6oz. Turkey

*Homemade MRP = .75 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Cup milk, 1.5 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Leg Day!!!!!!!!

-Squats
95x8/115x8/125x6/ 95x10("@$$ to the grass squat)

-Leg Press
180x10/230x8/250x8

-Leg Curls
100x12/130x7

-Leg Extensions
100x12/120x10

-Seated Calf Raise
45x12 (each leg)/45x35 (each leg)/100x20 (both legs)

Basically still working on good form, especially with the squats, and still just trying to find a good weight for a 6-8 rep range, but all-in-all a good workout!

Comments:
Today my shoulders are just a little sore from yesterday, nothing that bad. I felt as if i had a great leg-day, even though the weight amounts might not be very high compaired to most people (it was sure tough for me!). My legs felt like glue after leaving the gym. :)

GhettoSmurf
04-19-2003, 06:06 AM
Well today (Saturday) is a rest day for me. I'll post my diet later tonight.

Personally right now, I'm pumped up! I weighed myself this morning (same way as last week) and I gained a pound! Hopefully my lifts go up a little bit in the gym as well, I'll definately be pushing myself.

Me and the band im in are also having a band practice today since we are playing in a talent-show type thing for school, and last year the first place price was like $200!! Except its going to be really hard, we are the only band made up of Freshmen (and one Sophomore), and all the other bands are made up of Juniors and Seniors. It's going to be great, and I cant wait! :D

bradley
04-19-2003, 04:28 PM
Nice journal. Looks like everything is going well for you. Just keep up the hard work and it will pay off in the long run. I think you are doing the right thing in making sure that you have good form on all your lifts before going heavy. This will greatly reduce your risk for injury.

I wish I knew if i am working my muscles hard enough. Like during the exercises (especially the close-grip bench press) My triceps were like shaking during the lifts, and even though I didnt have a spotter, I still pushed out as many as I felt I safely could w/o getting trapped under the bar, and now today, they arnt very sore or anything. Can anyone comment on this sort of thing?

Don't worry about wait or soreness. Progression is more important IMO.

Congrats on the weight gain:)

Ironman8
04-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Good luck on your goals Smurf!!

GhettoSmurf
04-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks Ironman and Bradley. It feels good to get some positive feedback, and gets me more motivated. I cant wait to get back to the gym on Monday :D

GhettoSmurf
04-20-2003, 05:19 AM
Date:
April 19, 2003

Sleep:
10 Hours - felt great to sleep-in on a saturday morning

Diet:
Meal 2: 2 Cups Wholewheat Pasta, 6 oz. Chicken
Meal 3: 2 Cups Yams (cubed), 6oz. Tuna
Meal 4: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, .5 Cup lack Beans, 1 Tablespoon Natural PB
Meal 5: 6oz. Turkey, 5 Cups Lettuce, 3 Cups Broccoli
Meal 6: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablesppon Natural PB

Training:
REST DAY!

Comments:
Wow, today my legs were really stiff, especially my right calf. Mid-Morning the band I'm in and I had a band practice which went good. And then later that afternoon i had to go to work. All-in-all a decent day, but I'm already feeling withdrawl from the gym.

rookiebldr
04-20-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
Wow, today my legs were really stiff, especially my right calf. Mid-Morning the band I'm in and I had a band practice which went good. And then later that afternoon i had to go to work. All-in-all a decent day, but I'm already feeling withdrawl from the gym.

Now that's motivation! Keep up the great work. The first few months will feel great as you work the form and figure out the weights. You'll be surprised how some of the exercise will increase. Form it seems, is especially difficult to nail properly but when you do it can really make a difference.

GhettoSmurf
04-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by rookiebldr

Now that's motivation! Keep up the great work. The first few months will feel great as you work the form and figure out the weights. You'll be surprised how some of the exercise will increase. Form it seems, is especially difficult to nail properly but when you do it can really make a difference.

thanks a bunch for the compliment. you dont realize how many people keep telling me to gain weight. and constantly poke-fun at me becuase of it. i am DETERMINED to get to 170-180 :cool:

GhettoSmurf
04-20-2003, 07:52 PM
Date:
April 20,2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 1: 1.5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 5 eggs (1 whole), 1 Scoop Whey
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .5 Cup Cottage Cheese, 4 Cups Lettuce, 2 Cups Broccoli/Cauliflower
Meal 5: 1.5 Cups Pasta, 5 oz. Tuna
Meal 6: 8 Eggs (1 whole) omelette, 3oz. chicken, some celery

*Homemade MRP = 1.5 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Another Rest Day... plus the gym is closed (Easter)

Comments:
Well today i had to work :( but o well, I need to make money some how. Tomarrow is Chest/Tri's Day. Hopefully it goes good!
~*Happy Easter*~

GhettoSmurf
04-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Date:
April 21,2003

Sleep:
7.5 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5 (post-workout): 44g Whey, 40g Dextrose
Meal 6: 2 Cups WW Pasta, 3oz. Turkey Breast
Meal 7: 6 oz. Chicken breast, 6 Cups Lettuce

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Chest/Tri's:
-Flat Bench Press
85x10/90x10/95x6
-Inclined DB Press
25x10/30x8/25x10
-Dips
BW-28x12/BW-22x15
-Flies
30x15
-Close Grip Bench Press
65x10/70x10/55x8
-Skull Crushers
40x8/40x8
Tricep Push Down
70x12/80x8

Hmmm.... well my triceps definatly got a god workout, but for some reason, I dont think I hit my chest as good as I want to. It never feels like it gets very worked. I think I might be doing the press's with crappy form still, becuase it seems like my triceps are almost getting more of a workout then my chest. Anyone have any idea's?

Comments:
Diet went good, workout went as planned. All-in-all a good day. Can't wait until tomarrow (back day!)

GhettoSmurf
04-22-2003, 05:20 AM
hmmm, had a math test today on Logorithms (i still dont quite get the purpose for them or how they are supposed to help you later in life). lets just say, OUCH! i dont think i did too hot. :( well, i guess ill find out in a couple days.

GhettoSmurf
04-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Date:
April 22, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 1: 1.5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 5 eggs (1 whole), .5 Scoop Whey
(Workout)
Meal 5: 44g Whey, 40g Dextrose
Meal 6: 1 Cup oatmeal (dry) 3oz. Tuna
Meal 7: 6oz. Beef, Top of of Round, 5 Cups Lettuce

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Back/Bi's:

-Deadlift
115x8/135x8/115x8

(a friend showed me a variation "sumo-style" so i tried it for the last set and felt a much better workout in my lower-back)

DB rows
35x8/30x10

-Wide Grip Pullups
BW-46x12

-LatPull Down
70x8/70x8

-Seated Cable Rows
70x10/80x8/80x6

-Barbell Curls
40x12

-Inclined Hammer Curls
25x8/25x6(drop set)20x10

My biceps were basically fried after these.

Comments:
Diet went good, as for the training, I'm think about maybe doing more sets of deadlifts, becuase those seem to work my back the most. Maybe ill drop the DB rows and add a few more DL's. Any suggestions?

Alke
04-22-2003, 06:13 PM
good luck with your goals!

Keep up the deads! I am switching to sumo style myself next session, Everything I have read has nothing but good things about sumo style, especially for the lower back.

Dont drop the rows, deads work a different part of the back. You need your rows man! I myself am not fond of DB rows and really getting good results with just BB rows and pull-ups.

GhettoSmurf
04-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Kenn- thanks man, yeah i want to keep rows, and i think ill keep practicing with a barbell for the rows. except i have such crappy posture(sp?) that it makes it really hard to do these with good form. BUT I WILL WORK ON IT! :)

Pup
04-22-2003, 08:37 PM
Don't let the haters get you down, it takes a lot of courage to change your lifestyle completely, you've been making good progress and just stay focused on your goals, remember, its your body, not theirs.

GhettoSmurf
04-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Date:
April 23, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 Cup Oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 5: 1.5 cups sweet potato, 4oz. chicken
(Workout)
Meal 7: 8 eggs (1whole), 3 Cups broccoli, 2oz. chicken
Meal 8: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Well, today was going to be a rest day, but i was bored out of my mind, and decided to go to the gym, and have a rest-day tomarrow.

Shoulders/Traps/Abs

-Military Press (in smiths machine)
55x12/70x8/65x10

-Behind the Neck presses
65x6/65x6

I could REALLY feel it in my shoulders after 2 sets of these.

-Lateral Raises
15x10x2/20x6

-Upright Rows
50x10/60x6/50x12

-BB Shrugs
115x10/135x10/145x10/155x8

I still think I could do more, but my grip keeps slipping. I think i might need to look into getting some wrist straps.

Comments:
Diet went good, and I felt GREAT after the workout. I could definately tell my shoulders got worked as i left the gym, and i LOVED the feeling !

wibble
04-23-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey GhettoSmurf,

Looks like you're diet is rockin it on! All healthy and stuff, good man! :) I'm in the same boat as you, tryin to hit that 160-170 mark. Eating good isn't gettin me much weight gain though so I'm going back into eat everything I can mode.

Keep on trying those rows to man, you'll get em. I've been trying to get SLDL's down for like 2 months. Finally started to get some results. Ironic thing is I taught myself how to do them without a weight/bar just bending over trying to keep my form good. Then practiced it and it was easy to do with weight at the gym then. :)

Nice journal btw, and keep up the good work on the weights!

Alke
04-23-2003, 09:45 PM
I know what you mean about people giving you crap man, I graduated high school at 6' and 130lbs. I needed a waiver from a doctor to join the military cause I was underweight :D It took me a long time to get everything right and make the physical AND mental gains I wanted. Stay focused and I'm sure you'll get positive results!!!

Shoulder workout looks good, Is this your first year hitting the weights?

aka23
04-23-2003, 11:35 PM
BB Shrugs
115x10/135x10/145x10/155x8

I still think I could do more, but my grip keeps slipping. I think i might need to look into getting some wrist straps.

I have had some trouble with gripping during shrugs as well. Bradley recommended the wrist straps at http://www.syracusefitness.com/liftingstraps.htm . I was able to solve my problems by getting dumbbells with a different type of handle.

John0101
04-24-2003, 12:24 AM
nice gains, keep on going, your on the way there

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 05:59 AM
wibble: thanks a bunch man. yeah, ive been steadily gaining weight with a diet like this, usually .5-1 pound a week. My problem is that if i even think about "crap" food i gain like 10 pounds of fat... ... but then again, that usually doesn't stop me from indulging a bit ;)

Kenn: yeah, this is actually more like my first month of training with what i consider a good routine, and a well-thoughtout diet. I'll definatly stick with it, and keep busting my butt in the gym!

aka23: thanks for the helpful link, ill definatly look into getting a pair of them. As for DB's for shurgs, i do find that i can grip the ones at my gym easier, but the problem is that the handles are pretty rough and i found that they totally chew up my hands when i use some of the bigger ones for shurgs.

John0101: thanks for the compliment, same goes for you! :D

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 06:02 AM
Well, i woke up this morning and my shoulders were definatly stiff from yesterday. Luckily, today is a rest day. Plus i have to go and work later after school which kind of sucks, but o well I need money and working is the only way I'll be able to get it. I'll give a little update later today.

The Dream
04-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Keep up the good work bro. The strength and weight will come in no time. I think it's really smart keeping the weights light until you feel comfortable and form is solid. When I first started lifting I just grabbed the heaviest weight my tendons and ligaments could handle and started slinging it around. Lucky I didn't seriously injure myself.

I went through a brief anorexic period in my life also. I was inactive, not fat, but my bodyfat was getting up there, about 190 at 6'1". The doctor told me to watch my weight since diabetes runs in my family. I took it to heart, and after that I stopped eating and started running 6-10 miles a day, got down to about 145 pounds. Losing weight became kind of a challenge. Every pound I lost was another victory. I started lifting, came to my senses, and bulked up to 210 in two years, and now I'm the same weight I was four years ago with significantly less bodyfat. I look at pictures of myself when I was 145 and can't believe how awful I looked. And to think I STILL thought I was fat??? Sorry to load up your journal with ramblings.

Keep up the good work.

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by The Dream
Keep up the good work bro. The strength and weight will come in no time. I think it's really smart keeping the weights light until you feel comfortable and form is solid. When I first started lifting I just grabbed the heaviest weight my tendons and ligaments could handle and started slinging it around. Lucky I didn't seriously injure myself.

I went through a brief anorexic period in my life also. I was inactive, not fat, but my bodyfat was getting up there, about 190 at 6'1". The doctor told me to watch my weight since diabetes runs in my family. I took it to heart, and after that I stopped eating and started running 6-10 miles a day, got down to about 145 pounds. Losing weight became kind of a challenge. Every pound I lost was another victory. I started lifting, came to my senses, and bulked up to 210 in two years, and now I'm the same weight I was four years ago with significantly less bodyfat. I look at pictures of myself when I was 145 and can't believe how awful I looked. And to think I STILL thought I was fat??? Sorry to load up your journal with ramblings.

Keep up the good work.

that is exactly how i felt. i would run miles on end, and barely eat anything. and if i did eat anything i always made sure i burned it off. luckily, i have smartened up, and realized what i was doing was stupid!!

and believe me, what your saying isnt rambling, I take it all to heart ;)

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Date:
April 24, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours
Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5: .5 Cup Black Beans, 6oz. Chicken, 1 Cup Cubed Yams

*Homemade MRP = 1.5 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1.5 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
-Rest Day

Comments:
Well today was a rest day. My shoulders were a bit sore from yesterdays workout, but nothing too bad. Diet was spot-on, and im looking forward to tomarrow... LEG DAY!! :)

Workhorse
04-25-2003, 08:15 AM
First of all... :spam:

Now that that's out of the way... hey!! Great job, the workouts and diet are looking very solid!! Your'e gonna reach your goals for sure if you keep up with what you're doing. Keep pushing yourself harder and harder and you'll continue to make gains!! Keep up the awesome work and good luck!! :D

Coke
04-25-2003, 09:59 AM
You are off to a great start with your workouts - I likes the journal :) Good luck with everything!

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 08:07 PM
Workhorse and CoCoa: thanks a bunch for the support! i really appreciate it (since i dont always get much from my family)

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Date:
April 25, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 5: 1 Cup Yam Cubed, .75 Cup Cottage Cheese
(Workout)
Meal 7: 6oz. Chicken, 6 Cups Lettuce, 1 Cup Black Beans

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
LEGS~!~

-Squats
115x10/125x8/135x2(Miss :( I felt a little woozy while trying this one)/125x8

-Leg Press
180x10/220x10/260x8/270x7 then i pyramided down with drop sets 270x10/180x10/90x15

After these my quads were basically burnt out. And the good thing is, i still feel i could have done a lot more then 270. Next week i might try putting 4 plates on each side and see how that goes.

-Leg Curls
110x10/130x8

-Seated Calf Raise
100x20/100x30/100x25

(Supersetted the last set of calf raises with)

-Leg Extension
120x12

Comments:
I was planning on giving either SLDL's or Hack Squats a try today, but after the squats and the leg press i was really drained. Other then that, I feel i worked my BUTT off in the gym today. And my diet was perfect.

Alke
04-25-2003, 08:42 PM
AWESME workout! thats a lot of good sets for legs when your still relatively new to pushing weights on a consistent basis. dont feel too bad about not getting to SLDL's, just alternate your exercises around and maybe do them in place of leg press next go round. It'll take some work to be able to hit 3,4,5+ exercises in a row......(and from what I can tell your defeinelty not lacking in motivation!!)

good session man! You'll be moving up in no time:thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW, great diet!! love that MRP, and stick with the cotttage cheese before you go to bed, I never did that before and I think it really helps me to gain.....

captain piddles
04-25-2003, 08:48 PM
hello
#1 :spam:

#2 great routine :thumbup:

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 05:45 AM
Kenn: thanks a bunch man, all of your motivation has seriously been helping me out. i cant stand the taste of flaxseed oil, but i found that i cant really taste it in the MRP. so i guess its all good! :)

captain p: welcome to my journal! ;) thanks for the compliment. I do plan on trying to switch out somthing, probably the leg extension and a set of somthing else, and try to throw in some hack squats or SLDL's. I guess ill see what next week brings.

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 05:49 AM
a little update:

this morning i woke up and weighed myself in the usual fasion,and found that i gained 2 pounds. thats about a 4 pound increase in 2 weeks. Maybe a little faster then i would like, but i havent been noticing any significant amount of fat gain, and im not TOO worried about it either.

also on another note: woke up today, and my lower back was pretty stiff along with my legs, must have been from the squats.

mixta
04-26-2003, 06:17 AM
Hey Ghettosmurf thats a heavy leg workout you had there :thumbup: Diet is looking nice and tidy too, keep up the good work and good luck with your goals!

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 09:12 AM
mixta: thanks a bunch mixta. yeah after the leg workout i was pretty much wasted and just felt like getting home and relaxing. although i do wish i could have gotten the 135 for a couple more reps. the problem is since im pretty boney/skinny the bar can start to hurt the back of my neck after awhile from resting on it. anyone have any suggestions?

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 09:16 AM
well i figured that since its the weekend. and i havent cheated in like 2 weeks. i was going to have a little bit of a "cheat" meal. but i wanted to make sure it was as healthy as possible. and since i was getting sick of drinking bunchs of water i decided to make somthing i havent had in a LONG time. ICED TEA!!! :)
the problem is, since i was really young i liked it, but the only was i liked it was when it was sweetened with sugar. well, i got to thinking, and instead of having water with my lunch, i decided to make some iced tea, but instead of sweetening it with sugar, i used some splenda! and my god it tastes good! :D

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 09:17 AM
... o and by the way, the lunch consisted of a yam and some chicken :rolleyes:

wibble
04-26-2003, 09:29 AM
the problem is since im pretty boney/skinny the bar can start to hurt the back of my neck after awhile from resting on it. anyone have any suggestions?

I hear ya there, I have the same problem. I have this fleece sweater I take to the gym with me on leg day. I fold it over a couple times and lay it across my neck/shoulders. This cushions my back a lot. Still might get a few marks but its much more bearable. :)

Good job on the leg workout! Lookin good!

Later!

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Date:
April 26, 2003

Sleep:
9 Hours

Diet:
Meal 2: .5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), .5 Scoop Whey
Meal 3: 2 Cups Yam, 6oz. Chicken ---> this was the first time i tried baking a yam in the oven, i usually just nuke it in the microwave, and holy crap baked yams are like 10x better then nuked yams. problem is, they take like a friggin hour just to cook! :(
Meal 4: 1 Cup Oatmeal (dry), 7.5oz. Tuna
Meal 5: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablespoon PB
Meal 6: 6oz. Chicken, 5 Cups Lettuce
Meal 7 (right before bed): 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1 Tablespoon PB

Training:
REST/WORK DAY!

Comments:
Today was a rest day. Plus my band had a practice (only 2 days left until the talent show!!! 1st place = $200!) and i also had to work in the afternoon. All-in-all it was a pretty relaxing day. I also noticed that my hamstrings/quads were a bit sore from yesterday.

bradley
04-27-2003, 11:49 AM
[Bthis was the first time i tried baking a yam in the oven, i usually just nuke it in the microwave, and holy crap baked yams are like 10x better then nuked yams. problem is, they take like a friggin hour just to cook! :(
[/B]

Try looking into purchasing a cooking nail. That is what I call them anyway. It is a big aluminum nail that you slide into the potato to help transfer heat throughout the potatoe and it will cut the cooking time in half.:) You can probably find them at a place that sells pots, pans, cooking utensil etc. Shouldn't cost but a buck or two.

Try wrapping your gym towel around the bar when performing squats.

aka23
04-27-2003, 12:48 PM
the problem is since im pretty boney/skinny the bar can start to hurt the back of my neck after awhile from resting on it. anyone have any suggestions?

All of the gyms I have been a member of have squad pads available to cushion the bar. They are usually located on the floor near the squat rack. If your gym does not have one, you might want to recommend them to the management or buy one yourself. Regular squat pads can be purchased for about $10. Top of the line models may cost as much as $40. Some pictures are below.

http://www.kamway.com/images/squat3.jpg

GhettoSmurf
04-27-2003, 08:18 PM
bradley and aka23: thanks for the suggestions. ill have to take a look around the stop for a cooking nail. and i'll definately try squats with a towel on my neck. I didnt even think of somthing like that

GhettoSmurf
04-27-2003, 08:21 PM
Date:
April 27, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5: .5 Cup Black Beans, 6oz. Chicken, 1 Cup Cubed Yams

*Homemade MRP = 1.5 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1.5 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
-Rest Day

Comments:
Rest day today. I plan on doing chest/tri's tomarow. but it will be pretty hecktic, right after school i need to rush to the gym, workout for an hour, then rush to my school again for a talent show that night. but hey, first place is $200 so ya never know, maybe we'll win! :D

captain piddles
04-27-2003, 09:04 PM
good luck at the contest, post what happens, I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by captain piddles
good luck at the contest, post what happens, I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!

captian piddles: thanks! hehe i dont know how we'll do. there are like 4 other bands, all of which consist of seniors/juniors. we are the only freshman/sophomore band! :) but hey! miracles can happend :D

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 07:59 PM
well i finally got back from the talent-show. we got 2nd!! w00t! :D

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 08:00 PM
i also did chest/tri's today, but right now its late and im DRAINED. ill post my workout/diet tomarrow morning.

captain piddles
04-28-2003, 08:07 PM
we got 2nd!! w00t!

good for you man!

Ironman8
04-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Heh heh, good job Ghetto! And it looks like your lifts are improving too!

ryan1117
04-28-2003, 09:59 PM
well i finally got back from the talent-show. we got 2nd!! w00t! :D
Congrats, what was your talent?

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 05:02 AM
captain p: thanks a bunch!
ironman8: they are believe it or not!. ive been trying to increase the weight at least a little every workout, and so far ive been able to do the new weight. i guess ill have to keep this up and see how far it gets me
ryan: me and 3 of my friends are in a band. and we played a song called "No Pool Party Tonight" by The Huntingtons. I had a blast! It's also a good song, i recommend everyone d/l's it ;)

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 05:17 AM
Date:
April 28 ,2003

Sleep:
~6 Hours (couldnt stop thinking about the talent-show)

Diet:
Meal 1: 1.5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 6 eggs (1 whole)
(Workout)
Meal 5 (post-workout): 44g Whey, 40g Dextrose
Meal 6: 2 Cups WW Pasta, 3oz. Turkey Breast
Meal 7: 6 oz. Chicken breast

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed oil.

Training:
Chest/Tri's:
-Flat Bench Press
90x10/100x7/100x6

I'm really happy i finally got into the 3-digit's for BP!

-Declined DB Press
30x10/30x10/35x9

My first time doing these, so i didnt go too heavy or anything.

-Dips
BW-22x14.5/BW-16x9.5

-Flies
30x20/40x9

-Close Grip Bench Press
70x12/75x7

-Skull Crushers
40x10/45x8

Tricep Push Down
75x15/85x9

Comments:
Good workout. Today my chest is a bit sore (especially when i touch the pec).
My band and I also placed 2nd in the talent show we were in. My band decided to celebrate with a round of pop, I kept it clean and grabbed a diet pepsi ;) Tomarrow- Back/Bi's!

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Date:
April 29, 2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours (stayed up sorta late.

Diet:
Meal 1: 1.5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 6 eggs (1 whole)
Meal 5: 2 Cups Yams, 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
(Workout)
Meal 6 (post-workout): 44g Whey, 40g Dextrose
Meal 7: 3 Cups Broccoli, 6oz. Chicken

Training:
Back/Bi's:

-Deadlift (Sumo)
115x10/125x4/135x3/145x4/155x5

I still think i could have done more then 155, I'll have to go for more next week.

-Lat Pull Down Close-Grip
70x10/70x7

-Lat Pull Down Wide Grip Behind Neck
70x10/80x8

-Seated Cable Rows
80x10/90x8

-T-Bar Rows
45x10/45x10

-Inclined Hammer Curls
25x10/25x10

-Did 2 sets of 21's with a 40 pound barbell at the end.

Comments:
Diet was in-check, chest was a bit sore from yesterday. I still wish i could find a way to work the middle-part/sides of my back more, but im working on it! :D Since i have to work tomarrow, I'm having a rest day.

wibble
04-29-2003, 07:53 PM
Congrats on getting 2nd in the talent show and on hitting the 3 digits in your BP! :D

Keep it up! :)

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Sorry for the stupid question Ghetto, but what kind of music does you band play? Punk, metal, etc..?

John0101
04-29-2003, 08:13 PM
dang we have a very similar routine, just wondering but what is your weight/height/age?

bradley
04-30-2003, 03:02 AM
Just wondering why you have so much protein in your post workout shake. I would take out some of the protein and add in some more dextrose.

Looks like you are progressing nicely with the workouts. Also I would switch to incline press over the decline press since you are already performing dips as well. Just a thought.

bradley
04-30-2003, 03:06 AM
[I still wish i could find a way to work the middle-part/sides of my back more, but im working on it! :D Since i have to work tomarrow, I'm having a rest day.

I really like one arm dumbell rows:) Also chins might be something worth trying as well instead of the pulldowns.

GhettoSmurf
04-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Ironman: we play more of punk rock / rock type music.
John101: weight: 143 pounds, height: 6'0, age: 16 (yeah, im a pretty skinny MOFO :)
bradley: thanks for the advice. do you think somthing like 30g protein, 50g dextrose would be better? or even 20/60?

John0101
04-30-2003, 11:16 AM
well at 16 your still young and still going through puberty, so don't sweat it. I remember in high school all the girls weighted as much as the guys at that age! Some of the girls were even taller then the guys! Stick with it, and start eating more imo. 6' @ 143 you shouldn't worry too much about bf

ady m
04-30-2003, 02:56 PM
people may make fun now but it,ll soon stop.With size gains comes respect.Then the gobby ones soon shut up.People like that are the driving force.Keep it up and show the jerks.:bash:

aka23
04-30-2003, 04:36 PM
do you think somthing like 30g protein, 50g dextrose would be better? or even 20/60?

A 3/1 carb/protein ratio is a common recommendation. Some suggest more, some less. It depends on a number of factors such as your LBW and your workout. If you deplete more glycogen, you likely need more carbs. I think the exact ratio and numbers are not that important so long as you consume sufficient carbs and protein very soon after your workout. I also think that it is not going to make a huge difference if those carbs come from dextrose or other high GI carb/insulin sources such as cold cereal.

In the interview on this site at http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=93&pageid=4 , Lyle Mcdonald gives the following recommendation for postworkout nutrition:

"3. Then slam your post workout shake immediately after training. The old recommendations for post-workout carb intake was 1-1.5 grams of carbs/kg lean body mass with about 1/3rd as much protein. So, for an average lifter (say 65 kg=150 lbs of LBM or so), you get 65-100 grams of carbs with 20-30 grams of protein. Since you already took in 20-30 grams pre-workout, I'd subtract this from the post-workout shake. If you took in carbs during the workout, you'd subtract that too. So you'd be looking at 45-80 grams of carbs post workout, with 20-30 grams of an easily digested protein. You'd want most of the carbs to be glucose or glucose polymers, but with some fructose (maybe 10-20 grams) in there as well.

4. Then you'd eat a normal meal about 2 hours later to keep things moving"

Alke
04-30-2003, 08:22 PM
hey GS, great progress!!!!!!

props on that BP! thse are the turing points that will stay with you as you progress in the iron game! I remember the first time I hit a 35 on each side for a BP, as well as the first time I hit a plate on each side. I think I even remember the song I was listeing to the first time I hit 115, it was "sledgehammer" LOL (it was also like 1980-something, yea I'm an old moose LOL)

good to hear you gots a prize as well! I play guitar but nothing special. I'm more of a copycat and just learn the cool licks to impress the chicks :D

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 05:49 AM
Everyone: thanks for the comments and advice. i like hearing everyone's opinions, they really do help in keeping me motivated!

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 05:51 AM
Date: April 30

Comments: Well im sick, and i feel like crap. went home from school early today, and didnt go 2 work. 2 words: THIS SUCKS.
i think its a bit of a stomach thing, no vomiting, but some craps and the a hint of the runs :(

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 06:06 AM
o but a couple things did happen that made me feel a bit better.

#1: the Pistons beat the Magic!
#2: My whey and dextrose arrived (except i doubt ill feel good enough to workout tomarrow)

The Dream
05-01-2003, 09:44 AM
get better bro. theres a lot of sh*t going around in my neck of the woods too.

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
The Dream: thanks bro, i will :)

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Update: well i feel quite a bit better at the moment. I was able to eat a good amount, and keep it all down. so hopefully tomarrow after a good nights rest everything will be back to normal.

aka23
05-01-2003, 09:25 PM
It is good to hear that your symptoms are improving. If it returns, then you might want to take your temperature and check for a fever. This type of upset problem can be caused by viruses, contaminated food, medications, or exposure to bacteria.

MrWebb78
05-01-2003, 10:01 PM
hey smurf, what do you play in your band? you should record a demo and put up an mp3 on here for us.

as for workouts go, for the wide grip lat pulldowns....do you always do them behind the neck? my preference is to pull them in front to the chest, lights the lats on fire.

Budiak
05-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Yeah Smurf. I'll put up MP3s of 'Zombie Girlfriend' and 'Crack Song' and see how your Dave Mathews feel good **** stacks up.

MrWebb78
05-01-2003, 10:41 PM
i play guitar, we should start a wbb band, we'd be cool.

GhettoSmurf
05-02-2003, 05:11 AM
aka23: thanks for the advice. i think i ended up getting what my brother had a couple days before hand. same symptoms. so hopefully thats all it was.

MrWebb: I play the drums in our band :) As for the wide-grip pull-downs, i usually do them behind my neck, ill definately give them a try to the front/chest. do you use a closer grip? or still keep it wide?

Budiak/MrWebb: thanks sounds like a good idea with the MP3. I know when we made a small cd of a few songs we had saved them in a MP3 format on a computer, and then burned them 2 a cd. ill have to ask my friend if we still has the songs on his cpu.

bradley
05-02-2003, 06:17 AM
I would probably go with at least 50g of dextrose postworkout, and I think 60g would probably be the best, along with 20g of protein. That is going with the 1g per kg of bodyweight recommendation.

As far as the pulldowns stick with a wide overhand grip and see how that works for you, but I also like to experiment and see what hand placement hits my lats the hardest. I have also seen it recommended to use a shoulder width underhand grip but I tend to feel this more in my biceps. I believe there is an old thread in the training forum about pulldowns and the different hand placements. Nice to hear that you are feeling better.

GhettoSmurf
05-02-2003, 07:07 AM
bradley: thanks for the comment. yeah, when i go and lift today i plan on having my PWO shake consist of 20g whey and 60g dextrose. :)

GhettoSmurf
05-02-2003, 12:34 PM
well right now i still feel like crap. when i woke up this morning i thought it was all out of my system but i guess i was wrong.

right now the problem is, i feel realy gaseous, and my stomach sort of rumbles, and its almost like i can feel my food being digested/travel through my intestine (i think). its all sort of taking place in my lower-stomach area. complimented by a serious bloating-feeling. also, at times, if ive been standing for a long time, i start to get some really sharp pains along the right side of my stomach that go away once i lay down for a bit.

ive also lost my apetite a bit, which really sucks since im trying to bulk.

has anyone had this problem before? or might know what it is/whats causing it? does anyone have any suggestions of what i can do to try to get over this? becuase in all honesty i feel like total crap right now. someone, shoot me, please.

aka23
05-02-2003, 01:21 PM
You might want to get it checked out by a doctor. There are many possible causes such as intestinal illnesses as bacterial infections. The sharp pains in your stomach are most likely caused by gas, but it would be good for a doctor to confirm that it is not something more serious. For example your liver and appendix are on the right side of your body, and some types of more serious viral infections can also cause similar symtoms.

bradley
05-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Sounds like the gas is causing the bloating and discomfort but this is just a guess. Might try taking something like Beano to help with the gas. Might want to post over in general health and I am sure Delphi will have an answer for you. He is a medical doctor if I am not mistaken.

GhettoSmurf
05-02-2003, 03:52 PM
yeah i dont really know what it is. now ive taken 2 considerably big "dumps" and i feel a heck of a lot better. no more pain really, now just every once in a while i get a bit gassy. i dont think im going to train today. ill probably just take today off, and rest tomarrow and sunday, and hopefully just start out totally fresh on monday.

do you guys think ill lose much muscle or anything if i do this? i mean, since ive been having the problems i havent been eating AS much as i normally would, and i dont really want to lose a bunch of the muscle/weight ive worked hard to put on :(

bradley
05-02-2003, 04:35 PM
do you guys think ill lose much muscle or anything if i do this? i mean, since ive been having the problems i havent been eating AS much as i normally would, and i dont really want to lose a bunch of the muscle/weight ive worked hard to put on :(

If you think you need the time to recover then I would take the time off. There is no need to workout and drag out your illness. Get plenty of rest and fully recover and hit the gym hard on Monday. You will not lose any weight as long as you keep your cals up. I know eating is easier said than done when sick so just do the best you can.

Xg74
05-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Well, I noticed that once I upped my calories, and my protein intake, I got chronic gas, and deficated much more often. Holding in gas can really cause pain, so don't do it. Perhaps adjusting your diet until you are satisfied with your health?

GhettoSmurf
05-03-2003, 06:14 AM
yeah, i think all-in-all it was partially me being stupid. since i was at school, i was somewhat holding in a few "protein farts" as i'd call them, and i think that is one thing that started to cause it. once i got home, i started to just let it all out, and i swear my house was RANK, but boy did i feel a heck of a lot better.

maybe i am eating a bit too much protein. i do usually get some pretty bad gas and is seriously stinks. anyone else have this problem?

i weight ~ 141.5 (yeah i lost 1.5 pounds from being sick/gassy) but ive been eating about 300g of protein. do you think i should lower this amount a bit? and if you think i should lower it a bit, should i replace the cals. with fat or carbs? any opinions?

bradley
05-03-2003, 08:11 AM
Well 300g is probably a little excessive and I would just replace the cals with carbs or fat (if you have adequate fat intake then replace the cals with carbs). I would suggest somewhere around 25-30% of cals from fat, 1g of protein per lb. of bw., and the rest of your cals coming from carbs.

Also drinking too much milk and/or your protein powder could be to blame.

GhettoSmurf
05-03-2003, 07:53 PM
i havent been drinking much milk. and i usually total about 1-3 scoops of protein powder a day. im thinking it might be becuase of the eggs, but i dont totally know.

GhettoSmurf
05-03-2003, 07:56 PM
well i woke up this morning, and felt good. so i did go to the gym, and IMO had a good workout (increased weight and/or reps on all of my lifts), so ill post my training tomarrow or maybe even tonight if i get bored.

diet-wise its been pretty much the same. still not eating quite as much as i'd like to, becuase my appetite has been a bit off. i's guess about 2900-3000 calories.

rookiebldr
05-03-2003, 09:06 PM
1-3 scoops of protein powder is not too much IMO. Make sure you get the rest GhettoSmurf, it does the body good. :)

GhettoSmurf
05-04-2003, 10:25 AM
well today, i think im slowly getting better. today im just going to relax, try to keep my calories up if i can, but mainly focus on just eating some food that sounds good to me, that might help me get a bit better. and hopefully after a good nights sleep ill be able to hit the gym HARD.

i was just wondering, what do u guys think i should do-
when i got sick, i left off on leg day. i usually do leg day on friday or saturday, but since i wasnt feeling very well i didnt do legs. i was wondering do u guys think if i workout monday i should do legs (since i missed my legs workout friday) or just start the week fresh with chest/tri's like i normally do on a monday?

MrWebb78
05-04-2003, 10:55 AM
if something interferes with my training and i miss more than a week i usually start back on top of the routine, which is chest and bi's for me. i dont think it really matters, im just a bit supersticious sometimes.

bradley
05-04-2003, 11:28 AM
i havent been drinking much milk. and i usually total about 1-3 scoops of protein powder a day. im thinking it might be becuase of the eggs, but i dont totally know.

I am not saying that you are using too much protein powder but more along the lines of what type or brand you are using. If if has been an on going problem then you might try a different powder. If it just started happening then it is probably just due to your recent illness.

If you think it is the eggs then replace them with something else and see if that takes care of the problem.

GhettoSmurf
05-05-2003, 05:12 AM
well today is monday, new day, new week. this past week has sucked. at the moment i feel good. i hope it lasts throughout the day so i can hit the gym again. ill keep ya'll updated ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-05-2003, 07:48 PM
woke up, felt great, went to school, worked out, went to work, got home and did spanish project, went to bed.

had a great leg workout today, and diet was perfect. its late, and i just finished my spanish project (spanish SUCKS), and im dead-tired. Ill post my diet and workout results tomarrow. Good night ya'll!

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 05:02 AM
Date:
Cinco de mayo

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 1: 1.5 Cups Oatmeal (dry), 7 eggs (1 whole)
(Workout)
Meal 5 (post-workout): 22g Protein, 60g Dextrose
Meal 5: 2 Cup Yam Cubed, 3oz. chicken
Meal 6: 3oz. Chicken, 6 Cups Lettuce, .25 cups peanuts

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (ran outta Flax) :(

Training:
Workin' the wheels

-Squats
125x10/125x10/135x5/115x9(ATF)

-Leg Press
3p'sx8/3p'sx10/3p'sx8

(the 3p's are plates PER side. so 6 plates total) ;)

OMG after these my legs really felt worked, and i could feel a bit of a sensation in my quads.

-Leg Curls
110x10/130x10

-Seated Calf Raise
100x20/100x30/100x25

Comments:
I'm feeling a LOT better since last week. I'm glad i was able to get back to the gym and start where i left off.

bradley
05-06-2003, 05:47 AM
*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (ran outta Flax) :(

Since you are out of flax I would probably switch to fish oil.

mixta
05-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Comments:
I'm feeling a LOT better since last week. I'm glad i was able to get back to the gym and start where i left off.

Good to hear, Big workout there man, keep it up!

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Since you are out of flax I would probably switch to fish oil.

yeah i dont exactly have any of that at the moment either, lol.

but i plan on getting some hopefully today, but if not then definately tomarrow.

do you think i should just pick up some more flax? or give fish oil a try?

also, does the fish oil taste a whole lot different?:confused:

wibble
05-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Glad to see you're feelin better and back at it! Good leg workout there, and diet was spot on as usual. :D

bradley
05-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Since you are taking the shake to school I would use the 1000mg fish oil caps since they are not as sensitive to heat as the flax oil. Each cap is equal to 1g of fat so just take as many as you think are necessary. This also eliminates the taste factor although sometimes when you first start taking them they can cause indigestion.

As far as a better source of omega 3's, I think fish oil is superior to flax oil.

aka23
05-06-2003, 11:15 AM
-Seated Calf Raise
100x20/100x30/100x25

Comments:

GhettoSmurf,

I am glad you are feeling better.

I am curious why you went up to 30 reps on the calf raise. Are you trying to increase your muscular endurance?

GhettoSmurf
05-06-2003, 12:28 PM
mixta: thanks a bunch for the compliments
bradleyalright, ill have to try to give the fish oil a try. ill take a look for it when i go out tonight.
wibble: thanks again. and of course the diet was spot-on. ow could it be anything else? ;)
aka23: about the 30 reps. i basically ust put on the same weight i did last workout (i actually didnt know i would be able to do that many), and i didnt really get a chance to move the weight up like i had wanted to, becuase i was in a bit of a hurry becuase if i would have taken any longer i probably would have been late to work. :( ill definately bump up the weight next week.

Mik
05-06-2003, 08:09 PM
30 reps? I can feel my calves tighten reading that. :)

GhettoSmurf
05-07-2003, 05:19 AM
Date:
May 6 ,2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 cups Oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 5: 2 cups Yams, 2.5 oz. tuna
Meal 6 (post-workout): 22g Whey, 60g Dextrose
Meal 7: 3 cups cauliflower, 6 oz. chicken
Meal 8: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Tablesppon Natural PB

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB

Training:
Chest/Tri's:

-Flat DB Press
35x12/35x7(lost grip)

-Inclined DB Press
25x11

i was bored

-Flat BB Bench
100x7/100x9(+1 w/ spotter)/85x10 (speed)

-Dips
BW-16x13.5/BW-16x9.5

-Pec Deck
40x12/50x9

-Close Grip Bench Press
75x10/80x5(+3 w/ spotter)/75x7(+3 w/ spotter)

-Skull Crushers
45x10/45x9

Tricep Push Down
90x8
(supersetted with)
Pushups(burnout)

Comments:
Good workout today, and my butt is still sore from yesterday's leg workout.

Mik
05-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Nice workout GS. Your diet looks ace.....and consistent too!

Alke
05-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Hey GS, workouts look great!

having a spotter is great, they can help you to push past a sticking point.

what do you mean you was bored? with DB incline?

Escape01
05-07-2003, 10:33 PM
I like your workouts. They suit your goals well. I like that you do squats, leg presses and sumos. They are the heart & soul of your attempt to gain lean mass. You set your hormonal levels for the week (and do the vast portion of your nervous system training, if you care about strength) in those 11 sets. They determine your success. You're doing well...in little time you'll notice a huge difference.

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Kenn

what do you mean you was bored? with DB incline?

i was bored in the gym, and couldnt make up my mind what i felt like doing next. i wasnt bored with the inclines. but after i got done with the 1 set, my partner came, so i never finished a another set or 2.

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 05:11 AM
Mik: thanks!
Kenn: yeah, your right, it was really nice to have a spotter for a change. i have a new feeling for what "going to failure" feels like ;)
Escape01: thanks a bunch for the compliments. i really enjoy doing the sumo's and squats. i really feel they also help a lot during baseball season (since im a catcher). "Shut-up and SQUAT!" :D

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Date:
May 7, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 Cups Pasta, 4oz. Tuna, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB
Meal 4: 2 Cups Yams, 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
(Workout)
Meal 5 (post-workout): 22g Whey, 60g Dextrose
Meal 6: 3oz. chicken, .5 cup oatmeal (dry)
Meal 7: 3oz. chicken, 3 cups broccoli

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB.

Training:
Back/Bi's:

-Deadlift (Sumo)
135x5/155x5/175x3/185x3/135x10 (speed)

For was a bit sloppy near the end of the 185's

70x10/70x10

-Lat Pull Down Wide Grip
60x12/70x10

-Seated Cable Rows
90x10/90x10/100x7

I seriously LOVE these for some reason. It feels great on my back when i do them.

-Hyperextensions
110x10/130x10

-Standing Hammer Curls
25x10/30x6

-Barbell Curls
I started with 60 pounds, did 8 reps, dropped to 50, did 8, dropped to 40, did 8, dropped to 30, did 10, and then dropped to 10, and did 15.

I've never felt such a weird sensation in my biceps after doing these. It felt really good!

Comments:
Diet was good, Training was awsome! Also i had a half-day of school today becuase of the Tulip-Time parade! :D

mixta
05-08-2003, 06:11 AM
Diet looks good, so does your back workout

I seriously LOVE these for some reason. It feels great on my back when i do them.

Yeah the seated cable rows are good fun. I like them too.

Mik
05-08-2003, 07:20 AM
Nice back day GS. Those curl drop sets sound killer. I have a Q for ya.......with your home made protein shake, do the oats get blended uo fairly well or is it really thick?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 08:01 AM
mixta: thanks a bunch. yeah, i can definately feel some tightness today, especially in my lower-back.

Mik: yeah, usually they blend pretty well. i find that the smaller the shake i make, the better the oats get mixed in. like today i just made a small one and used .5 Cups of dry oats, and a little over a cup of water, and i found that it was basically all liquid. i think it all depends how long you blend it for, and how much water you use. I try to use about 1 Cup of water for every .5 Cups of dry oats. Then when i blend it, i start on the lowest setting for like 10 seconds, then bump it up to the highest setting for 10ish or so. then i stop and let it settle for a bit. and then blend it the same way once more. i've found that doing this has worked the best so far. (I also sometimes add a packet or 2 of splenda which i've found also makes it pretty tasty).

aka23
05-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Also i had a half-day of school today becuase of the Tulip-Time parade! :D

Nice workout. I am surprised you got a 1/2 day off for this type of local event. Are a lot of students and/or teachers participating in the parade?

GhettoSmurf
05-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by aka23

Nice workout. I am surprised you got a 1/2 day off for this type of local event. Are a lot of students and/or teachers participating in the parade?

yeah, its a very big thing here. and basically our school's band is marching in it. i'm not sure as to why the real reason we have 1/2 day of school, thats just been the way it always has been, even when my dad went to school.

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Date:
May 8, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2.5 Cups Pasta, 4oz. Tuna
Meal 4: 2 Cup Yam Cubed, 3oz. chicken
Meal 5: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 6: 3oz. Chicken, 6 Cups Lettuce

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (ran outta Flax)

Training:
Rest Day :(

Comments:
I had a half day of school today so i got home and just relaxed. my lower-back and even my upper back for a change are both a bit stiff. I did have to work today, which went fine, just like every other day at work, but for some reason it just seemed like i had a LOT more energy today. I hope i can get that kind of a rush for my shoulder/traps/abs workout tomarrow. Should be much fun :)

Tankette
05-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear about that Spanish Project, Ghetto...BTW, I teach Spanish;)

MrWebb78
05-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Meal 6: 3oz. Chicken, 6 Cups Lettuce

one word....yuck!

thats alot of rabbit food! i mean...lettuce. who am i to say yuck to meals, i even tried the tuna/v8 smoothie yesterday, fukkin gross!!!!

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by MrWebb78

one word....yuck!

thats alot of rabbit food! i mean...lettuce. who am i to say yuck to meals, i even tried the tuna/v8 smoothie yesterday, fukkin gross!!!!

i know, not the greatest dinner. thats what i eat at work. (i work at a restaurant, where the food is basically all full of grease, and artery-clogging goodness). plus, i figure im eating about 1.5 hours later when i get home, so its not that big of a prob :D

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Tankette
Sorry to hear about that Spanish Project, Ghetto...BTW, I teach Spanish;)

thats good 2 know. now i have someone i can go to when i get spanish homework ;)

just kidding

Ironman8
05-09-2003, 08:18 PM
You have a Spanish project to Ghetto? Heh, you're lucky, I have to do a powerpoint presentation on the poet, Walt Whitman. Has to be at least 6 minutes, alot of detail, and I have to do it in front of my class. I hate public speaking :(

GhettoSmurf
05-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Date:
May 9, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 Cup Oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
(Workout)
Meal 6: Homemade MRP (I was at work, and had to bring somthing to eat)
Meal 7: 6oz. chicken, 6 Cups lettuce
Meal 8: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Tablespoon Natty PB

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB.

Training:
Shoulders/Traps

-Military Press (in smiths machine) (front of head)
75x10/80x7.5/80x6.5

-Military Presses (in smiths machine) (behind head)
70x10/70x7.5

- Bent-Over Seated Lateral Raises
15x15x2

-Standing Lateral Raises
20x15/20x15/15x15 (with a 3 second pause @ top each time)

-Upright Rows
50x12/60x7/50x12

-DB Shrugs
55x10/60x12/75x10/50x12 (with static hold at end)

Comments:
This was seriously a GREAT workout. I feel as if i realy gave my shoulders a beating. I'm loving it ;)

Tommarrow = Leg Day

midee1
05-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Keep pushing it GS.
Workout looks good. If only I could get my diet to stay that good I would be winning the battle.:D

Tankette
05-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Hey, I don't mind...anytime.

Tank

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 05:42 AM
midee1: thanks for the compliment ;)
Tankette: ¿Como estas? <----- yes i know more then that lol :angel:

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 05:45 AM
Today i weighed in @ 142 pounds. Down 1 pound from 2 weeks ago, but i partially blame that on being sick last week where i ended up dropping down to 141 from 143.

Current Weight: 142 pounds
Current Caloric Intake: 3000-3200
Weight Gained Since Starting: 3 Pounds in 4 Weeks

So Far, So Good! :)

Coke
05-10-2003, 07:13 AM
Great news about making gains GS. Keep this up! :) In my opinion, 10lbs can go a long way to make a difference in your appearance - So stay driven.

Ironman8
05-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Looks like you shoulder day was quite a workout! And congrats on the weight gain.

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Date:
May 10, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 5: 2 Cup Yam Cubed, 3oz. chicken
Meal 6: 3oz. Chicken, 6 Cups Lettuce, .25 cups peanuts

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (ran outta Flax)

Training:
Leg Day

-Squats
125x10/135x7 (felt light headed so i stopped @ 7)/135x7 (got light headed again...)/95x15 speed/ATF

-Leg Press
6platesx12/6plates + 20x7/6plates + 20x7

-Leg Curls
80x10/80x10

-Seated Calf Raise
115x20/115x20

Comments:
Good workout today. Diet went good as well. After the workout i had to go to work, which kinda stunk :( . but o well, its the weekend :D

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 08:05 PM
ok well i just want to rant about somthing that happend @ work today.

my boss justt constantly gives me crap about eating "heathly". he sees that im skinny and whenever its time to eat (after working we get a break, and we get to eat the left-over food) and usually i just have some poached chicken breasts with some lettuce, and then ill usually bring some oatmeal from home. well he always sees this, and everytime he sees me and what im about to eat he always makes a comment about it. "Matt if you keep eating like that you'll waste away" and crap like that. it pisses me off so much. Then sometimes when im around other em;ployees, and its break time, he'll walk over to me and some other employess while we're eating and wave some greasy bacon in front me my face and say "here Matt, are you scared of a little fat?" and it just pisses me off so much. i feel like yelling at his to just P!SS OFF. and plus, the funny thing is, my boss is basically a fat @$$. he's probably 5'10 and weighs 280 pounds of total fat.

sorry about that, just had to get it off my chest.

captain piddles
05-10-2003, 08:10 PM
80x10

nice :)

at my work they throw sugar at you when you do good
donuts and ice cream, its sick, makes eating healthy awfully hard

midee1
05-10-2003, 08:13 PM
GS aint it funny how the overweight a$$Holes are the ones to stir it up. I myself experience something like this. But opposite. Like my stats say weight 215, body fat lots. I pack my lunch daily. All my supplements, low fat lunch meats, nutri grain bars and other somewhat healthy stuff . I am down from 242. But my boss who is about 6' 5" and 320 lbs gives me sh$t about what i do. All I tell them is that they could not keep up with me on a good day.

Keep your chin up and ignore the idiots. :D

ryan1117
05-10-2003, 08:23 PM
Don't let anyone try to talk you out of your diet. It looks like you are doing a good job. If this country would be smarter, you wouldn't stick out for eating healthy.

aka23
05-10-2003, 08:38 PM
my boss justt constantly gives me crap about eating "heathly". he sees that im skinny and whenever its time to eat (after working we get a break, and we get to eat the left-over food) and usually i just have some poached chicken breasts with some lettuce, and then ill usually bring some oatmeal from home. well he always sees this, and everytime he sees me and what im about to eat he always makes a comment about it. "Matt if you keep eating like that you'll waste away" and crap like that. it pisses me off so much. Then sometimes when im around other em;ployees, and its break time, he'll walk over to me and some other employess while we're eating and wave some greasy bacon in front me my face and say "here Matt, are you scared of a little fat?" and it just pisses me off so much. i feel like yelling at his to just P!SS OFF. and plus, the funny thing is, my boss is basically a fat @$$. he's probably 5'10 and weighs 280 pounds of total fat.

I would try to not let him get to you. It sounds like you are doing a great job with your diet. You mentioned that you gained 3 pound in 4 weeks, and you are eating 8 small meals per day. Depending on the circumstances and your boss, possible options may include explaining your diet/training or avoiding the situation. I hope things improve.

John0101
05-11-2003, 01:07 AM
hey be happy, they do it because they care!

GhettoSmurf
05-11-2003, 05:58 AM
thanks a lot for the encouragement guys

it makes me feel a lot better to know im not the only one that thins happens to :nod:

GhettoSmurf
05-11-2003, 06:00 AM
well today is a rest day for me, but i also plan on having a "planned cheat meal"

my family and I are going over to my grandma's house and she makes the greatest food in the world. and i figure since ive been bulking very cleanly and strictly, i will just relax and enjoy some of her cooking (since i dont get it very often). i dont plan on having a 2000 calorie pig-out, but just a nice normal sit-down dinner :)

YoBrickWall
05-11-2003, 07:34 AM
yo- what part of mi. yo from

ybw

GhettoSmurf
05-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Holland

~45 minutes away from Grand Rapids

bradley
05-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Your diet looks good GS. I was just thinking what they would say if you were 200lbs and ripped but still eating the same way? I would imagine they would keep their comments to themselves:)

People tend to make fun of what they don't understand and also remember that your boss kind of sounds a little tubby. Maybe a little jealous over the willpower that you have. Don't sweat it. Keep eatin' those oats and chicken.

YoBrickWall
05-11-2003, 01:35 PM
yo- west side of the state, cool.
ether grand rapids or detroit is hosting the a.a.p.f. state meet this yr in dec... when i find out ill let u know.

ybw

GhettoSmurf
05-11-2003, 07:43 PM
thanks for the advice bradley

awsome ybw, lemme know if you find out

GhettoSmurf
05-11-2003, 07:45 PM
well today was a rest day. diet was a bit off since i had a cheat meal (went to Grandmas house for mothers' day and had lunch there :angel: ) so maybe not the best-quality calories, but i kept it to moderation, and im pretty sure i ended around my usual 3000 calories.

tomarrow i'll hit the gym and work the chesticles and tri's :)

Mik
05-12-2003, 07:42 AM
LMAO @ chesticles!

GhettoSmurf
05-12-2003, 11:23 AM
would you prefer i call them "man-boobs"? ;)

Tankette
05-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Ghetto, bien gracias...Espero que puedas decir mas que esto.

BTW, wasn't 'chesticles' a MrWebb original???:)

GhettoSmurf
05-12-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Tankette

BTW, wasn't 'chesticles' a MrWebb original???:)

of course

:angel:

GhettoSmurf
05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Date:
May 12 ,2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 cups Oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*

Training:
Chest/Tri's:

-Flat BB Bench
95x12/100x9/105x5/95x5 (speed)

-Dips
BW-16x15/BWx4/BWx8 (crappy form though)

-Pec Deck
50x12/55x10/60x7.5

-Skull Crushers
45x15/50x10/50x10/50x10

Pushups (Burn-out)

Comments:
Had a so-so workout. I wanted to get some close-grip BP's in, but i was short on time becuase of work :(
Tomarrow is back/bi's day, and i have the day off from work. i cant wait :D

Alke
05-12-2003, 07:57 PM
looks like your starting to really dig into your workouts :thumbup: :thumbup:

those dips will get better! the gym where I started out didnt have an assist, so I did negatives until I could get just one :D (I know what you mean about form though)

cphafner
05-12-2003, 08:18 PM
GS: way to go on the dips! looking good

Ironman8
05-12-2003, 08:24 PM
Pushups (Burn-out)

Speaking of pushups, are they better for the chest, or bi/tris?

Alke
05-12-2003, 08:40 PM
>>Speaking of pushups, are they better for the chest, or bi/tris?<<

hey ironman, Im a firm believer in pushups. Theyre great for chest/bis AND tris :D Thats all I did for 6 months before the gym was pushups and pullups and they rock! I got my friend doing pushups with me and now he can do dips real good. Before pushups he couldnt do even one dip!

wibble
05-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Lookin good GhettoSmurf! Hope you didn't pack on too much fat from that cheat meal yesterday. :p Good job on the workout, lookin forward to your Chest/Bi workout tomorrow! :thumbup:

aka23
05-12-2003, 11:37 PM
BTW, wasn't 'chesticles' a MrWebb original???

of course :angel:

I believe the first poster to use that term is the poster named "Chesticles". His first post is at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13134 . Mr.Webb was probably the first person to use it an online journal.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 04:56 AM
Kenn: yeah, i know what you mean. i really want to get the dips down, and be able to add weight to my BW eventually. quick question, when you do dips, you want to try to lean forward a little bit as well, correct?

cphafner: thanks a bunch for the comment. it was my first time trying them un-assisted, so hopefully in-time they'll get better :)

Ironman8: push-ups work both, but i think hand-placement can play a role. i think if your hands are wider apart it hits your chest more, and if they are closer-in they hit your triceps more. just an assumption though.

wibble: actually, it turned into a couple cheat meals (so sue me). one i didnt know about though. but i kept it REAL moderate, and as clean as possible. as it turned out, after we got back from from my grandma's, i found out that it was my cousins birthday party that same day (she turns 3 today!), and i didnt know about it. so at the party i had a couple piece's of a medium thin-crust cheese pizza, and some diet pepsi <--- see i kept it clean!! ;) but yeah, all-in-all it was fun, and gave the hardcore dieting a break for a day.

aka23
05-13-2003, 05:17 AM
push-ups work both, but i think hand-placement can play a role. i think if your hands are wider apart it hits your chest more, and if they are closer-in they hit your triceps more. just an assumption though.

Your assumption is correct. They work muscles in a similar way to the bench press. They hit the chest, triceps, and shoulders. Wider grip places more emphasis on the chest and closer grip places more emphasis on the triceps. They also use your abs, back, and a number of other muscles to a lesser extent.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by aka23

Your assumption is correct. They work similar muscles in a similar way to the bench press. They hit the chest, triceps, and shoulders. Wider grip places more emphasis on the chest and closer grip places more emphasis on the triceps. They also use your abs, back, and a number of other muscles to a lesser extent.

aka23: thanks for clearing that up for me :)

bradley
05-13-2003, 05:47 AM
quick question, when you do dips, you want to try to lean forward a little bit as well, correct?

Depends on if you are trying to put the emphasis on the chest or the triceps. By keeping your body in a more upright position you will put more emphasis on the triceps and if you lean foward you will put more emphasis on the pecs.

I wanted to get some close-grip BP's in, but i was short on time becuase of work

Have you thought about supersetting the skulls with the CGBP? I usually use the same amount of weight for the skulls and the CGBP so it eliminates the need to change the weights which saves a lot of time. I just perform the skulls and then go straight into the CGBP. Really works the triceps IMO.

Keep up the good workouts:thumbup:

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 07:40 PM
that sounds like a good idea about the supersetting. i think ill give it a try next week!

thanks a bunch

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 07:48 PM
Date:
May 13, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 5: 1.5 Cups Yams, .75 Cup Cottage Cheese
(Workout)
Meal 7: 3 Cups Broccoli, 6oz. Chicken

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cups Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1.5 Tablespoon Natty PB.

Training:
Back/Bi's:

-Deadlift (Sumo)
135x5x3/185x3/185x1

Hmmm i can do 135 with good form, but the problem is, when i up the weight (like to 185) my form starts to slip, and when im about half-way up my leg, my form sort of turns into a SLDL. does anyone else have a problem like this? or an idea of how to fix it? or doesnt it really matter?

70x10/70x12

-Lat Pull Down Wide Grip
70x10/70x10

-Seated Cable Rows
90x12/100x10/100x10

-Back Extension Thingy
130x10/130x10/130x10

These things actually REALLY beat up my lower-back. I think ill do them more often.

-Did a set of 21's with a 40 pound barbell.

-BB Curl
60x8
50x8
40x10
35x12
(Drop Set)

And that's all folks!

Comments:
Diet went good today, same with the workout. At the moment my upper back is some-what sore/stiff. I guess ill see what the morning brings.

bryancore
05-13-2003, 08:02 PM
Your diet looks real clean, keep it up! Also, thanks for your continued imput on my log.

wibble
05-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Looks like you had a pretty good workout there GhettoSmurf! :)

As for the Deads, are you lifing with your legs or your back? You should start the lift by driving your heels into the floor and once its off the ground use your hips to straighten up and finish. I was just thinking that if you're trying more with your back maybe this would cause you to lean forward and get into that SLDL position...

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by bryancore
Your diet looks real clean, keep it up! Also, thanks for your continued imput on my log.

thanks for the compliment. lol, no problem with posting in your journal. in fact, i plan on giving a CDK diet a try when im done bulking, and i figure i'd try to learn along with you, if you dont mind ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by wibble

As for the Deads, are you lifing with your legs or your back? You should start the lift by driving your heels into the floor and once its off the ground use your hips to straighten up and finish. I was just thinking that if you're trying more with your back maybe this would cause you to lean forward and get into that SLDL position...

ok, ill have to give that a try. next workout i'll lower the weight quite a bit, and still work on form. i think i need to concentrait more on the heels, and doing what you said. with the sumo style, should i drag the bar up my shins? or should it be a little bit out in front? (thanks a bunch btw wibble) :)

bradley
05-14-2003, 05:36 AM
Have you thought about throwing in some BB rows or onea arm dumbell rows instead of one of the machine exercises? I think these types of movements are excellent to gain some size in your back.

I agree about the deads. I think form is very important as far as deadlifts are concerned. I perform conventional deads but I try to keep the bar as close to my shins as possible. I guess this is why my shins end up bruised most of the time.

Mik
05-14-2003, 07:56 AM
Once again, diet is looking ace GS! I agree with Bradley, rows really helped my lats. I usually do bb rows and sometimes I'll throw in db rows. I really find I get a good workout with them.

Good luck on the deads. I have the same problem as I go heavy.

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 08:49 AM
bradley and Mik: thanks for the advice. i really want to be able to do one of the two exercises you mentioned. except, i think i have really bad posture, which really makes it hard for me to have proper form on those two. my back always end up sort of "rounding". but like you said, it is a really good exercise, and i really do want to be able to do them properly. I think next week ill practice a bit with some light weight, and have someone watch me, and help me keep good form, so hopefully i can incorporate them into my routine.

Mik
05-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Good idea GS. Practice with different grips and stances as well to find one that's comfortable for you. Perhaps keeping your back a little more upright and not lowering the weight all the way might help to keep your back straight. Good luck!

wibble
05-14-2003, 09:43 AM
with the sumo style, should i drag the bar up my shins? or should it be a little bit out in front? (thanks a bunch btw wibble)

Yup, always try to keep the bar as close to your legs as possible, this will help you keep your form tight and you won't drift forward with the weight. And no problem at all. Good luck with them! :)

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 06:10 PM
alright, thanks. ill have to give that a try next time along with some rows :)

GhettoSmurf
05-14-2003, 07:59 PM
Date:
May 14, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 Cups oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 5: 1 Cup CoCheese, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB, 1.5 Cups Black Beans
Meal 6: 6oz. chicken, 5 cups lettuce
Meal 7: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Tablesppon Natural PB

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB

Training:
Rest Day

Comments:
Wow, my back has been stiff all day from the back workout yesterday. I'm loving it! I also got my mid-term grades in the mail today, and im getting 4 A's and 3 A-'s (Programming in C++, FST, and Spanish). I'm hopeing these good grades may lead to some extra cash for supps. from the parents... (maybe) ;)

Alke
05-14-2003, 08:40 PM
hey GS, goodluck with those sumos!!

What I do is set up inside the squat rack so your feet are spread out wide and jammed against the inside of the rack (my squat rack has a brace that runs along the floor on each side, I think they all do) Then just reach down, grab the bar and pull. Your legs will straighten before your back cause of the wide stance. Keep the bar close, dont lean forward, and keep your hips low during the pull. I think that is about covers it :)

Hows the bulk going, are you gaining like you want to?

ryan1117
05-14-2003, 08:59 PM
I think you should just go for whatever feels the best on your body in regards to deadlifts. I know I pull with the hips high on all my deadlifts. That stance feels more comfortable to me and I would just be wasting energy if my hips were any lower. I remember Monstar also pulled with the hips high and he was pulling in the high 500s. I think someone else on here also said he pulled with high hips. I'd also say to pull close to the body, but make sure your knees don't get in the way of the lockout. I have missed a few due to the hands getting caught on the knees. I guess I could use baby powder or something, but I'm too lazy to do that!

I think the whole hips thing though depends on the person. I'm sure everyone is built differently and some may be better with low hips while others may be better with high. Plus, I don't see anything wrong with them looking like SLDLs since a SLDL is a safe exercise.

cphafner
05-14-2003, 09:01 PM
Way to go on the grades GS, good to see you got your priorities staright. Definately try some rows, just make sure you keep your form clean while getting used to them.

aka23
05-14-2003, 09:23 PM
I also got my mid-term grades in the mail today, and im getting 4 A's and 3 A-'s (Programming in C++, FST, and Spanish). I'm hopeing these good grades may lead to some extra cash for supps. from the parents... (maybe) ;)

Congratulations on the grades. In addition to cash from parents, the grades can be helpful for getting into a desired college and understanding future courses. I wish my high school had a C++ course. Their main programming courses were in Pascal. C++ is a far more useful language. What does FST stand for? I must be missing the obvious acronym. I am thinking of things like functions-statistics-trigonometry.

Alke
05-14-2003, 09:28 PM
ryan1117 cool, I was always told to keep hips low. My hips DO go higher on the pull than I would like and I keep them low cause I thought that was the best way to do deads. I didnt know that others pulled with their hips high.....

Maybe I should let my hips do what they want to on the pull?

Mik
05-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Grats on the grades GS. Good work. Now get liftin' ;)

John0101
05-15-2003, 02:17 AM
Date:
May 14, 2003

Sleep:
~7.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 3: 2 slices WW Bread, 3oz. chicken, .75 Cups oatmeal (dry)Meal 4: 1/2 Homemade MRP*
Meal 5: 1 Cup CoCheese, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB, 1.5 Cups Black Beans
Meal 6: 6oz. chicken, 5 cups lettuce
Meal 7: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Tablesppon Natural PB

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB

Training:
Rest Day

Comments:
Wow, my back has been stiff all day from the back workout yesterday. I'm loving it! I also got my mid-term grades in the mail today, and im getting 4 A's and 3 A-'s (Programming in C++, FST, and Spanish). I'm hopeing these good grades may lead to some extra cash for supps. from the parents... (maybe) ;)

damn nice grades regardless. ace on diet and training and apparently in school also, awesome work :)

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Kenn: yeah, our squat rack is the same way. I'll definately give that a try!

as for the bulking, i believe its going good so far. I plan on weighing myself saturday morning and im hopeing to be at or a little above 143. I think so far its going good, i havent noticed much fat gain (i dont think so anyway), so all-in-all i'd say it's going pretty good so far :)

ryan1117: i can see what you mean by doing what feels the best on your body. I think i'd rather do what is comfortable, and have it lok a bit akward(sp?), instead of forcing my body into a position that it isnt comfortable in.

cphafner: thanks for the compliment ;) and ill definatly give the rows a try.

aka23: I agree, C++ is great. I'm actually really getting into it. As for FST, you are correct, it stands for Functions-Statistics-Trig.

Mik: hehe, will do boss! ;)

John0101: thanks.

JustinF
05-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Hella good job with the grades bro! Looks like everythings on the right track for you!!

GhettoSmurf
05-15-2003, 07:50 PM
had a shoulder/traps/abs workout today.

work SUCKED and im in a pissy mood, so ill post the diet/training tomarrow.

im going to bed

Ironman8
05-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Awesome grades Ghetto! BTW, how well you speak Spanish?

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 05:04 AM
Ironman8: thanks for the compliment. i can speak Spanish so-so. im almost done with my 2nd year. i think i could keep up a bit of a convo. with someone if they would keep it at a basic - level and not get too into detail....

... i also have the ability to ask for a pizza in spanish. so if i ever get stuck in mexico, i can live on pizza! :D

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Date:
May 16, 2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 6: Homemade MRP (I was at work, and had to bring somthing to eat)
Meal 7: 6oz. chicken, 6 Cups lettuce

Training:
Shoulders/Traps

today i felt like changing up a few exercises just for somthing to do.

-Plate-Loaded Shoulder Press
15x10/17.5x6/17.5x6/17.5x6

the weights are per side. i also found that my left shoulder is a little weaker then my right. i plan on using some db's for a while and maybe that will help my left shoulder get a bit stronger, since my right wont be able to give as much assistence.

-Seated Lat. Raise
15x12/15x15

i was mainly concentraiting on good form on these

-Standing Lat. Raise
20x15

-Front Raise
10x15/15x12

first time trying these, and they felt pretty good. will definately do again next time.

-Upright Rows
60x9/40x8 (8 second static holds at the top of each rep)

-DB Shrugs
60x10/60x10/60x10

I also did some ab work @ the end.

Comments:
Diet was in-check. My back was still just a tad sore, but nothing bad. My traps were quite stiff before i went to bed, but they feel quite a bit better this morning. I plan on doing legs today, and then my band is having a band practice. Should be a fun-filled day! ;)

midee1
05-16-2003, 07:53 PM
Hey GS

Diet looks ace. Workouts lookin good as well. Front raises are kinda cool aren't they:)

GhettoSmurf
05-16-2003, 08:10 PM
Date:
May 16, 2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 6: Homemade MRP
Meal 7: 6oz. Chicken, 3 cups cauliflower

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (

Training:
Leg Day

-Squats
115x10/135x9/145x4(i think i could have done more)/115x7(ATF)

-Leg Press
3ppsx12/3pps+25x7

then to make things more painful for me, i decided to do some dro psets. ill add what was going through my head as i pushed out the reps.

2pps+75x5 "hmmm im getting sore already"
2pps+50x8 "OMG SOMEONE SHOOT ME @#$^*#@&"
2pps+25x8 "**** **** **** **** and more cursing"
2ppsx12 "hell yes, hell yes, hell yes, hell yes"

i then took about a 10 minute rest so i could regain the ability to walk ;)

-Leg Curls
70x12/80x7/70x8

-Standing Claf Raise
50x20/50x20/50x20

Comments:
Diet was ace, and i had a killer leg workout. It's weird though, usualy i get more sore during my workout, then after. like after the leg presses i was seriously like almost wanted to ust crawl over tothe drinking fountain. an hour later, it wasnt TOO bad at all.

JustinF
05-17-2003, 03:33 AM
Nice sessions bro. :thumbup: Gotta luv when you can hardly walk!! That's me today. :D

bradley
05-17-2003, 05:37 AM
Nice leg session GS. Leg press drop sets are ace IMO, as well as leg presses supersetted with smith squats...ouch:)

Coke
05-17-2003, 05:42 AM
:hello:

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 06:20 AM
thanks for the compliments guys. havent seem you in a while CoCoa ;)

I weighed myself today. Still 143 (same as last week). but i think i really need to get a digital scale, becuase the one my family has is just a really old kind, and its really hard to tell if you gained .5 pounds or so. you can only really read the wholenumbers like 143, 144, 145, etc.

Also, I was wondering... does anyone know the "proper" way to spot a squat? or have someone spot you? I dont see it very often in the gym i go to, and was wondering if anyone knew how?

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 07:43 AM
btw- i dont plan on letting the staggering weight get me down. i see it as somthing to inspire me to eat more ;)

also, just a ? about overtraining... some people are regualr visitors in my journal, and have seen what a usual routine will sometimes look like. Does it look like im overtraining? I mean, each week, ive been setting new PR's or adding reps, and i dont feel tired or anything, and i LOVE hitting the gym. i think im just being silly, but just becuase my weight staggard one week (stayed at 143) is no reason to think im overtraining is it? ive just heard sometimes its hard to gain weight by overtraining. but i think im just talking crazy talk.

JustinF
05-17-2003, 07:52 AM
Just so happens I asked this same question today, Bradley's answer from my journal:

"The way I have always seen it done is the spotter stands behind the person squatting and if you need spotter assistance the spotter would put his arms under your armpits and kind of assist with the squat so to speak. This is how I was taught when I was learning how to lift weights back in high school. I hope this makes sense. When we would go heavy the spotter would keep his arms under your armpits for the entire set and he would just squat down with you every rep. Hope that helps."

:D

aka23
05-17-2003, 08:37 AM
but just becuase my weight staggard one week (stayed at 143) is no reason to think im overtraining is it? ive just heard sometimes its hard to gain weight by overtraining. but i think im just talking crazy talk.

It is common to have minor fluctuations in your weight due to water and glycogen changes. This does not necessarily mean you are overtraining. If your weight is not increasing as fast as you would like, I would recommend eating more calories.

I would be more concerned about overtraining, if you were having stagnating gains or muscle loss. What you have said so far does not sound like overtraining. If you want to be certain, you could try a different split that involves more rest or some lower intensity work, and see if it improves muscle gains.

wibble
05-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Looks like a killer Legs workout there GhettoSmurf! :) I wouldn't worry about you overtraining either, everything looks good to me and you're always adding weight/reps, so just keep up what you're doing. If you don't add more weight soon you could always eat a littler more, you might be burning off more calories with the increase in weight during your workouts and what not. Good job so far though! :)

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 09:12 PM
alright, thanks guys. ill keep all of that in mind, and try not worrying too much about overtraining or not.

GhettoSmurf
05-17-2003, 09:15 PM
today was a rest-day for me. diet was basically the same as usual. kept it quite clean ;)

monday will be chest/tri's day. sunday i need to go to work :(

kook
05-17-2003, 11:58 PM
rest days suck!!! and work sucks!!!!

overtraining is just something in weak people minds.. so go sleep on that one

bradley
05-18-2003, 11:53 AM
I agree with the other members. Since you didn't gain weight this week I would think this is more of an issue of not eating enough. If you are progressing each week with your training then I wouldn't worry about overtraining.

GhettoSmurf
05-18-2003, 02:47 PM
alright thanks guys. i guess ill stick to what my calorie range is for 1 more week (~3000-3200) and if im still not gaining ill bump it up a notch ;)

rookiebldr
05-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Good luck on the weight goals. It seems to be such a fine line between gaining the weight the right way and over doing it too much. Keep at it. :cool:

GhettoSmurf
05-18-2003, 08:05 PM
well today was a rest day. i dont feel like posting my diet, just figure it was 3000+ cals. and plenty of protein (all from clean food).

tomarrow im going to work my chest/tri's. i cant wait. ill post my diet/training thing tomarrow forsure, with much more detail ;)

wibble
05-18-2003, 09:50 PM
*waits* If I can't go to the gym tomorrow I might as well wait and see how your day of training went. ;) Damn holidays...I love them because I don't have to work, but hate them because I don't get to workout.

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 06:20 AM
couldnt have said it better myself wibble ;)

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 06:25 AM
well i just wanted to note that this week i plan on trying a new split.

i want to not work cheat/tri's the same day for a change. and i was searching, and found wibbles post (ty wibble) about a new 4-day split for him. and i was reading it, and came across tank's post (ty tank), and saw the split he was using and i was VERY impressed and i think i plan on giving it a try except i think ill switch back and leg days so it will look like this:

M-Chest/Bi's
T-Back
W-Rest
Th-Shoulders/Tri's
F-Legs
S-Rest
S-Rest

I'm still deciding what days to do abs on, I plan on doing them once if not twice during the week. I'm also trying to figure out when i should do traps (back day, or shoulder/tri's day).

thanks again wibble/tank ;)

mixta
05-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Good luck with your new split GhettoSmurf. Cool avatar too! :D

cphafner
05-19-2003, 07:00 AM
looks like a good split. Its very similar to what I do, excpet I do i flip the chest/back days and do no direct tricep work.

Tank23
05-19-2003, 07:44 AM
Hey GhettoSmurf....good luck with the new split man.

About ab training....I don't even train abs. I reckon deads and squats do enough for them, plus ab training sucks. :D

I do traps on back day. I think traps are part of the back, and not shoulders, also shrugs are a pull movement, so I put them with back.
I think it would work fine having traps on shoulder/tri day, the only thing is if you're doing deads on back day, it could be a bit much to train traps again 2 days later.

-Tank

aka23
05-19-2003, 07:56 AM
Good luck with your new split. Depending on the exercises you choose, you might run into problems by having biceps and back on sequential days. Many back exercises also work the biceps, which could interfere with recovery.

Tank23
05-19-2003, 08:13 AM
Good observation aka! I dunno how I missed that one.

GhettoSmurf, you may wanna space back and bi workouts by a day. I do my back on saturday, then chest/bi's on monday.

Was there any reason for switching back and legs day?

wibble
05-19-2003, 10:48 AM
i was searching, and found wibbles post (ty wibble)

No problem GhettoSmurf, hope you like the new split! :)

I'm still deciding what days to do abs on, I plan on doing them once if not twice during the week. I'm also trying to figure out when i should do traps (back day, or shoulder/tri's day).

I decided I wanted to try training Abs twice a week as I was only doing it once a week before. I throw them in on Mondays workout and again on Fridays workout. As for Traps, I also do them on my Back day like Tank.

If you do both DL and SLDL, I would reccomend doing Legs before back as SLDL doesn't really bother my back when its fresh, but when I have to do them after having done DL's in the same week my back is really sore.

Anyway, good luck! :thumbup:

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 11:33 AM
hmmmmm thats a good observation aka. i think your right.

the main reason i switched back and legs was becuase im usually sore for longer peroids after legs then back, and then i'd get the whole weekend to recover. but i think ill switch the 2 back to how tank origionally had it. i also think ill probably do traps with back like tank and wibble both suggested.

i didnt know that this many people actually peeked in at my journal lol. thanks again all of you :D you're all a BIG help!

Wikked1
05-19-2003, 12:51 PM
Hey GhettoSmurf ,Thought I'd drop in on your journal....thanks for the diet tips....looks like you're one busy dude. School,work and training.....damn glad I don't have to contend with school myself but congrats on the grades and seems like everyone has a varied opinion on training splits. I'm not going there as my own split is highly unconventional at this time.....but good with this one.

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 07:33 PM
wikked1, no problem bro, im glad i could help :)

GhettoSmurf
05-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Date:
May 19 ,2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:

Training:
Chest/BI'S ;)

-Flat BB Bench
95x10/105x6 (+2 with spotter)/110x2 (+3 with spotter)

I think i could have gotten to 8 alone with 105. My spotter just suddenly short of decided to help me while i was still pushing the weight up :(. it kinda messed up my concentraition. Same with the 110 attempt, i think i could have done a couple more on my own, but the spotter was pretty quick to help... I dunno. i feel as if my bench SUCKS. like im not progressing very fast. I checked my journal and when i started seriously lifting my best was 95x8, and last week (which was the end of the first month for me BBing) my best BP was 105x5, it just seems so slow :( how fast do you guys usually see your bench going up? do you guys ever have a week where you dont progress very much? or not at all?

-Inclined DB Press
25x10/30x5 (lost my grip)/30x8

-Dips
BWx4.5/BWx4/BW-16x11.5

I have a really hard time stabilizing myself when i do my own BW. I cant stop swining back and forth, which becuase of the swining hurts my shoulder when i try to do the dip unassisted.

-Pec Deck
60x10

Did 2.5 more reps today then last week. I think i could have done more as well. I guess i was still sort of P/O'ed at my spotter :(

-Cable Cross-Flies
40x12

Form was great. I got a good stretch

EZ-Bar Bicep Curl
35x12/45x12

the first set i wasnt sure how much the bar weighed. I later found out it is 25 pounds.

-Hammer Curls
25x10

-BB Curl Drop Sets
50x10
40x10
30x12

Comments:
Workout was alright. I wish my bench would progress a bit better. I also wish i could do the DB Incline Press better, but its really hard for me to keep the DB's stable. what are some good exercises to help with the stabilizer muscles for this exercise?
well that about sums up my day. tomarrow is leg-day. im actualy looking forward to it ;)

kook
05-19-2003, 08:35 PM
dont worry ghetto, my bench was stuck at a certain weight and reps for approximately 1 year... so dont let a month or week get you down, untill i started eating a lot is when it started going up again

leg day for me tomorrow too!!! dont u love it

Tankette
05-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Hey Ghetto! Just peeking in. Good luck w/those BPs...Look at it this way, you can already bench me five times :D.

Alke
05-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey Gs, Really bro' that is a better workout than you might think!

Okay, so you got a 10lb gain in ? weeks. some might get more, some less. The point is that you DID get a gain, so keep it up....progress is tricky in that sometimes you'll get a big jump, sometimes a little jump. I think your doing great, and as long as your gaining weight each week and your gaining strength your doing it right :thumbup: :thumbup: (if you really want to think of a change: youve been lifting for a bit now so maybe you can add a set to your BB Flatbench utilizing higher weight and 2-3 reps or same weight and go for reps, but make sure you eat enough calories to compensate for the extra set. If you look at my journal, sometimes I only do three sets, sometimes I do 5....it depends on how I feel and what I am doing)

also, bench press strength relies heavy on triceps, lats and shoulders, If you want to increase your bench look those workouts closer and see if you can change,add or adjust something in those routines...

DB Presess: those will get better GS!! your stabilizers will become stronger and when they do your weights will go up! it takes a bit for them to get strong but they will....just keep going like you are

Dips: Same as DB presses. It takes a bit but they will get stronger. Just keep doing like you are doing.

also make sure you give your spotter every detail of how you want a spot. some people think I give too much info when I ask for a spot, but I want to make sure thye know exactly what I expect and how I want to be spotted. (I have had too many people just yank the bar off me when all I want is a little push LOL)

Nice drop set on arms
Give some 21's (7's) a try if you havent done them yet (7 reps low, 7 reps high, 7 full reps) for arms

clvmike19
05-19-2003, 09:03 PM
Ghetto keep up the hard work and the progress will come. I have those type of weeks too. I just started to keep a journal with me at the gym and I love it. Now I can see what I can shoot for as an improvement over my last workout.

If you dont make gains in one area you just might make them in another. I have leg day tomorrow too and want to up my squats. I really have tested my self too much there.

anyhow, great journal.Eat big and lift big youll make those gains buddy. BTW, what are your stats as of now?

wibble
05-19-2003, 10:44 PM
it just seems so slow. how fast do you guys usually see your bench going up? do you guys ever have a week where you dont progress very much? or not at all?

Don't worry man, I think you're doing alright! :) There are weeks where my Bench will go up 5lbs, others where I'll add a couple reps to my last weeks weight and other times I won't move at all. I found there were times when I underestimated myself also...it seemed when I first started to make the leap from 115lbs, I added on weight the next week to make 120...did that for a week or two then all of a sudden, out of nowhere I was at 135lbs. Even if you think you can't progress because you just barely got last weeks weight up, try it anyway, you might be surprised. :)

aka23
05-19-2003, 11:29 PM
Flat BB Bench
..., it just seems so slow how fast do you guys usually see your bench going up? do you guys ever have a week where you dont progress very much? or not at all?

I sure do. My bench press has been progressing more slowly than every other exercise I do. I am currently taking a few weeks off from the bp and using subsitute exercises such as db press and machine press. There is a good thread that gives some other suggestions at http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31493&highlight=bench

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 06:24 AM
kook: thanks for the words of wisdom ;) at least i guess im not the only one that can't constantly add weight. i guess this proves i am human as well :)

Tankette: lol, thanks. ill remember that. Just dont gain weight to fast ok? Or else i wont be able to keep up ;)

Kenn: alright. thanks for all of the advice! i wasnt expecting that much. lol. about the spotter, yeahi agree. i guess ill have to be a bit more specific as to what i'd like him to do. so in a way it was partially my fault. Since im working tri's on a different day then chest, im hoping it will improve my tricep strenth, since they wont already be worn out like before when i'd do chest and tri's in the same day. also, i think once my stabilizer muscles strengthin a bit, i might have a bit of an easier time with the DB press and dips. I guess it all takes time, eh?

clvmike19: thanks for the advice/encouragement as well. Currently my stats are Height: 6'0, Weight: 143pounds. Ive been eating ~3000-3200 calories a day. My weight is the same from last week, so if i dont weight 144 or so by saturday i plan on upping the calories a bit.

wibble: i'll have to remember that. i'll just not concentrait on the workouts in the past, and look forward to the ones in the future. i think ill try 110 again for sure w/ a spotter, but ill be aiming for at least 5 reps on my own. Ya never know, maybe if i can do that, and it feels good, ill up the weight even more ;)

aka23: I think i'll have to do that as well. i noticed that the weight on the inclined DB press wasnt that heavy to me. it was just that i had such a hard time stabilizing it. I may switch to a few more DB exercises and hopefully the stabilizer muscles will get used to having to stabilize the DB's.

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 06:28 AM
i also think im going to start setting some short-term goals for myself to help me strive for somthing in the gym.

Goal #1: Be able to bench 135 (two 45lb plates ;) ) in 2 to 3 months.

as for others, i dont know yet ;)

Tank23
05-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Hey GhettoSmurf....looks like there's nothing to add here, the other guys and gal have said it all. But yeh, I agree with them, as long as you're progressing that's the main thing

Workout looks good...keep it up man

Chest/BI'S
:D:D:D

-Tank

Mik
05-20-2003, 07:04 AM
i also think im going to start setting some short-term goals for myself to help me strive for somthing in the gym.

Goal #1: Be able to bench 135 (two 45lb plates ;) ) in 2 to 3 months.

as for others, i dont know yet ;)

Sounds like a good idea GS. It's always good to have a target to shoot for whether it's a certain weight or increased reps. Keeps you focused. At least for me anyway.

cphafner
05-20-2003, 09:54 AM
GS: make your goals something a little higher than you think you can get. Also make them very specific. For example I want to be able to bench 135lbs by August 1st. Good luck!

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 11:44 AM
thanks guys!

GS: make your goals something a little higher than you think you can get. Also make them very specific. For example I want to be able to bench 135lbs by August 1st. Good luck!

correction... I WILL bench 135 by August 1st! :D

but first i need to live through leg day today ;)

clvmike19
05-20-2003, 11:55 AM
I bet youll get 135 up before August 1st! You obviously have the motivation/dedication. Just up those cals! Have you tried www.fitday.com thats a great site for keeping track of EVERYTHING you eat and its nutritional value.

My shorterm goal is to gain 7lbs by June 19. Thatll make me 155lbs. Hopefully I can move my bench max up over 200 by then too!

Wikked1
05-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Hey GhettoSmurf Here's my two cents for what it's worth (I have a tough time with bp too) BUT try not to worry about the weight so much as the intensity...you're "Body building" right?? Not "weight lifting" try to keep that in mind .....it helps not to obsess about the weight you use.......it's been a while since my last bb press session (I prefer db because I go without a spotter so much ) not to mention you can go as wide or as narrow as you want with your grip. AND the bonus part is you don't NEED a spotter unless you WANT one.

quest4muscle
05-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Keep working hard and i bet you'll be putting up the 45s in June or July. It may be more mental then physical. Just believe in yourself get a spotter and give it a go.

Tankette
05-20-2003, 06:12 PM
I'm w/ Mike. Up those cals! I am a hard core advocate of FOOD and lots of it. At your weight and height, it sounds like a B**** for you to gain. I weigh almost 40lbs less than you do and eat almost ~500 cals/day more. You shouldn't be afraid of getting fat, so what's the hold up??? EAT BOY! *she says in a manly voice w/ a hick accent* :burger:

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 07:43 PM
clvmike19: thanks for the advice. ive been using fitday.com for quite a while actually. IMO its a GREAT tool :D

Wikked1: yeah, i plan on trying to incorporate more DB exercises on chest day. maybe it will also help "shock" my chest a bit.

quest4muscle: thanks for the ancouragement!

Tankette: lol. yeah, i think i will start upping the cals. a bit. im still young, i can burn off all the excess fat ;) . but believe it or not, i never was always this skinny. i believe my highest weight @ one point in time was 240 pounds. Sadly, i ended up becoming somewhat anorexic, and went all the way down to 135. all-in-all it was hell. but i beat anorexia, and im totally over it ;) time to bulk up~!~

GhettoSmurf
05-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Date:
May 20, 2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:
(Workout)
Meal 6: .75 Cups co-cheese, 2 cups yam
Meal 7: 6oz. Chicken, 3 cups cauliflower

*Homemade MRP = 1 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 1 Tablespoon Natty PB (

Training:
Leg Day

-Squats
135x10/145x5/115x6(ATF)/115x6(ATF, with a 3 second pause on the bottom)

-Leg Press
3p + 25x10/3p + 30x10/4 PLATES BABY!x5 (drop set) 3px12 (drop set (2px12) -----> supersetted w/ LegExtensions 100x7

-Leg Curls
80x12/85x10

-Standing Claf Raise
70x15

-Seated Calves
115x25/115x25

Comments:
Great workout, all my lifts went up in either reps and/or weight. And i am quite proud that me and my chicken legs got up to 4 plates per side on legpress (even though it may not seem like much) :D

Tankette
05-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Wow...I guess I was a bit quick to jump to conclusions there. I'm glad to see that you're back on track!!! :)

Tank23
05-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Nice leg workout GS.

I think all it takes is a bit of patience, and upping of cals as was pointed out, and you'll see continued progress no doubt.

About the cals, I was a bit like you, I was scared to eat too much coz when I was younger I was a chubby boy, and kinda got a phobia of becoming fat again. I think eating a lot is a good way to add a heap of mass, and if I had been doing this from the start I'd be a lot bigger.

Also, why do you do such high reps for calves?

-Tank

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 07:47 PM
Tankette:thanks :D

Tank23:advice well taken. i think i will up my calories a bit. i figure i might as well not let me not eating enough slow my gains up at all ;). plus, when the time comes, i can always cut :D

about the calves, i dont really know :( . it seems like i want to get between 6-10 reps, but when i increase the weight like that i always get sloppy for and can never use a full ROM. but i think i will aim for a weight that i can do 6-10 reps with as cleanly as possible.

GhettoSmurf
05-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Date:
May 21, 2003

Sleep:
~7 Hours

Diet:
Meal 5: 2 cups yams, 5 oz. tuna, 5 cups lettuce
Meal 6: 6oz. chicken, 3 cups cauliflower, 1 TBSP PB
Meal 7: (Right before bed) 1 Cup Cottage Cheese, 2 Tablespoon Natural PB

*Homemade MRP = 1.25 Cup oatmeal (dry), 2 Cup Water, 1 Scoop Whey, 2 Tablespoon Natty PB

Training:
Rest Day

Comments:
Today was a nice relaxing day. Mt chest is actually stil a tad bit sore from the workout Monday (im surprised at this), and i noticed my butt was also a bit sore. Tomarrow is shoulders/tri's/and possibly abs.

G'Night all!

cphafner
05-21-2003, 07:51 PM
GS, way to go on the increases!

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 11:38 AM
cphafner: thanks :D

well im bored out of my mind (im in my web-design class at school) ;) later today im going to work shoulders/tri's. i cant wait. diets been going good, and ill be back later to post how the w/o went.

Mik
05-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Nice leg day GS. Grats on the PRs. As always, your diet is looking solid.

wibble
05-22-2003, 04:12 PM
Great workout, all my lifts went up in either reps and/or weight. And i am quite proud that me and my chicken legs got up to 4 plates per side on legpress

Awesome job on the legs there man! Keep it up! Good to see you still gaining everywhere! :D

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Mik and wibble: thanks for the compliments guys. it all is taken seriously :)

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Mik and wibble: thanks for the compliments guys. it all is taken seriously :)

GhettoSmurf
05-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Date:
May 22, 2003

Sleep:
~6.5 Hours

Diet:
Meal 5:1 Cup oatmeal (dry), .75 Cup Co-cheese, 1 TBSP PB
Meal 6 (post-workout): 22g Protein, 60g Dextrose
Meal 7: Meal 7: 6oz. chicken, 6 Cups lettuce, 3 cups cauliflower

Training:
Shoulders/Triceps

-Plate-Loaded Shoulder Press
(weights are per-side)
17.5x10/20x6/20x4/20x7(with hammer-grip)

Last week i could barely get 17.5 pounds up for 6 reps. I was happy with the jump :)

-Seated Lat. Raise
15x15/15x15

i dont really want to do that many reps, but i find if i move to the 20 pound DB's my form gets kinda sloppy.

-Standing Lat. Raise
20x15

-Front Raise
15x12/15x12

-Upright Rows
60x10(form got ugly near end)/50x10x2

-Skull Crushers
45x8(Form got a bit sloppy)/35x15/40x10

-Close-Grip Bench
75x10/80x6(+2 with spotter)

Comments:
All-in-all it was a successful w/o IMO. Tomarrow is back day, and i cant wait to try out some of the suggestions i got from everone on doing sumo DL's :D.