PDA

View Full Version : loose skin? or fat?

GhettoSmurf
04-15-2003, 05:23 PM
i have a quick ? for everyone

well (if you knew it or not) at one point i was stupid and went a little anorexic, and went from 240 pounds down to 135 pounds in about 6-7 months. well i have recovered from that, and im trying to get back to around 170-180 pounds of mostly muscle mass (even though i know some will be fat) but at the moment im 6'0 and 139 pounds, and i cant see my abs or anything, but i dont know if it is becuase of fat around my stomach, or becuase of loose skin from the rapid weight loss. is there any good way of finding out? or should i just assume it is either loose skin or fat, what do you guys think?

Ironman8
04-15-2003, 05:36 PM
I have the same problem. I just trust the BF clippers.

AJ_11
04-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Could be either. You haven't posted any pictures so how would anyone know. Combination of the two perhaps.

Dkm911
04-15-2003, 06:51 PM
could be that ur ab muscles arent developed.. at one point when i had a major growth spurt like a two years ago or so i was 5'11 like 120 pounds.. once i started doing lots of sit ups six pack came in by the time i was like 140 or so pounds..now im 6ft 160 and gaining

thetopdog
04-15-2003, 10:28 PM
I don't think it's possible to have that much fat on you if you're 6', 139lbs, so I wouldn't be worrying about fat

bradley
04-16-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by AJ_11
Could be either. You haven't posted any pictures so how would anyone know. Combination of the two perhaps.

I agree, and more than likely it is a combination of the two. You probably lost a significant amount of muscle mass losing weight that rapidly so I wouldn't really worry about abs at this point. I would concentrate on adding some size and like the other member said, I doubt at 135lbs. you have much fat on you.

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 05:03 AM
alright, thanks guys.

ill try to get ahlod of a digital camera sometime too and try to take a couple pictures now, and keep everyone updated ;)

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Did you know what your BF%?

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 07:55 AM
no, i have no idea

i was thinking about getting some BF capilers or somthing, but i dont really know any good brands or types. can anyone recommend one?

bradley
04-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
no, i have no idea

i was thinking about getting some BF capilers or somthing, but i dont really know any good brands or types. can anyone recommend one?

Have you though about getting it checked at a gym? This would probably give you the most accurate reading, unless you are familiar with using calipers. Most gyms do this for a small fee or at no charge if you have a membership.

bigkevin20
04-16-2003, 12:52 PM
I would say you have verry little ab mucles and fat is covering that.

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Have you though about getting it checked at a gym?

I always wanted to do that, but I would be to embarass. I can just imagine them saying "Sir, your BF is over 20%" :D

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by bigkevin20
I would say you have verry little ab mucles and fat is covering that.

thats one thing i was sort of thinking. at least the very little abs part. and probably the fat part. as ive been training for a whilei have noticed that i think my abs have been getting slightly bigger, and are starting to show a bit more. either that or its fat ;)

arjun
04-16-2003, 06:04 PM
How accurate is the skin fold tests?

bradley
04-17-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by arjun
How accurate is the skin fold tests?

This is probably one of the more accurate ways to measure bf%, but it there is room for human error and variability. I would recommend getting it done by the same person each time to help decrease these two variables. It would also depend on if they are using the 3 fold or the 7 fold test (I believe it is 3 and 7). Although the test might not be 100% accurate it should give you an idea of whether your bf is increasing or decreasing.

The most accurate method from what I understand it hydrostatic weighing. With this method the user is submerged underwater. A bodyfat measurement is computed using the principle that fat is more buoyant than muscle