PDA

View Full Version : A new level...

jonr93
04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Hi all, I've decided to start my own journal, like many of you out there.. I figured this would be a great way of logging my diet for myself, as well as leaving notes on workouts, etc..

A little background - I've been into fitness in general for the past few years, started out completely overweight/out of shape, ran through some Body For Life stuff which caught my interest.. tried that for a while, spent last summer on my bicycle which made me lose alot of weight. Right now, I consider myself "skinny fat".. I'm by no means bulky, but I have some muscle definition, and a fair amount of body fat that I would definitely like to see go away in the future. The past few months I've spent researching lifting and different methods, and have been experimenting with what I think will work best for me, my schedule, and my goals. I've decided to start with WBB#1, because I think the split makes great sense, I have a partner that is lifting with me M-W-F, and I believe it's going to get me some good gains out of the gates. I also read a little bit about Mike Mentzger and his research, and the WBB#1 seems pretty similar.

My current stats are:

Body weight, 170lbs
Height, 5'11"
Chest, 39"
Upper Arm, 14"
Waist, 33.75"
Thigh, 21"
Calf, 15"

jonr93
04-15-2003, 07:06 PM
My current goals are as follows:

1) Put on mass.. my main focus is to add muscle, because I'm tired of being small in size, regardless of body fat. I decided that I don't care as much about my body fat at this moment, and I'm going to spend a couple of months working on a bulk phase.

2) I'm at 170lbs right now, I think it would be good to get up to 180 before I start cutting.. in the past couple of months I've been working on getting my diet scienced out, and I think this has netted me some weight gain as well. Plus I've been taking creatine inconsistently.. but prior to the beginning of all of this, I was a consistent 160lbs. I can definitely see a size difference in the 10 pounds, and it feels good.

3) Complete the WBB#1 routine - 8 week cycle. Starting this week, the end would be June 6th. After that I'm going to focus on cutting big-time, and try to get some good definition for the summer months (although it will be a little late, no problem :))

jonr93
04-15-2003, 07:07 PM
OKAY.. so I'm going to start with Day1 of this cycle, which was yesterday - 4/14/03

--------
CHEST
--------
Started off w/ BB bench. I hadn't done this in a while so I knew it would give me a good pump no matter what.. put 155 on the bench and went for it, and I got 8 reps unassisted which I was stoked about. 2nd set, I got 6 without needing any help again, and reached 8 with some help. Very pleased with these results, I plan on going 160 next time.

Used 50 pounders for the incline, which I went to failure in the 2nd set which was great.

40 pounds on the DB fly, which was a great amount of effort, but I'm going to 45's next week.

------
BACK
------
First was close grip underhand chins.. and boy could I feel these. I got 8 unassisted the first time, but totally felt the burn in my lats. 2nd set I hit 5 on my own and got help on 2 more, and today I'm totally feeling it. I need to get a belt so I can increase weight on these in the future.

Second, deadlifts. First time I've ever actually done "real" deadlifts with a straight barbell.. what a great workout. I went light on weight just to make sure my form was solid and I knew what I was doing, only ended up with 145 total. I'm going to go heavier next week now that I'm more confident with them, although today I'm definitely feeling the lower back result and actually a little bit of my hamstrings as well.

Next was bent over rows.. 50 pounds + curled bar, great burn. I felt it big time in between my shoulder blades. I know I can probably put another 5 pounds, maybe 10 on for next week.. so I'm going for it.

Last, shrugs.. I went with the 50 pounds on this also, and it felt good. I'm going to increase to 60 next week and see how it goes. I definitely felt the burn at the end, but I wasn't quite at the failure point.

------

Overall, I'm very pleased. The push/pull is amazing, and I'm totally ready for tomorrow night's leg workout, and especially ready to do some arms and shoulders on friday. I feel like I'm getting a good grasp on my diet now, so I should start seeing some good results if I keep everything intense.

jonr93
04-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Well, tonight was day 2 of WBB#1 - Legs..

Several of these exercises I have little to no experience with, so tonight was partially an experiment with weights just to get me in the ballpark.

Squats felt good - I know I can increase next week. Ended up with 190, plan to try 210-220 next week. But I'll be feeling these tomorrow for sure.

Hack Squats were new, but as long as I stayed back on my feet I could definitely feel the burn in the front of my quads.

Leg curls - great burn.. ended up doing 70, and went to failure on the 6th rep of my 2nd set. Like always I'm sure I will be feeling this tomorrow.

Stiff-leg deadlift - again an exercise I'm unfamilair with, I wanted to make sure my form was good and everything before I piled the weight on. Next week is the test.

Standing calf-raise - 170lbs on the smith x 10 reps.. 4 sets. I'm going higher next week, but this was a good start.

Abs - 3x12 of hip raise, and 3x12 of crunch.. excellent workout.

-------------

Overall, I'm pleased. For whatever reason I can't really get into leg workouts as much as upper body, but hopefully that will change in time. I need to figure out a way to create the intensity that I have in my chest/arms lifting..

-------------

I feel like I'm really figuring the diet out. Here's what I ate today:

Meal 1: oatmeal/milk, protein shake w/ creatine and 1 tbsp safflower oil

Meal 2: chicken/white rice/teryaki sauce

Meal 3: turkey breast grilled/natural PB on 2 slices wheat bread

Meal 4: natural PB on 2 slices wheat bread/tuna on crackers

Meal 5: oatmeal/milk, pack of turkey breast lunchmeat

Meal 6: 2 eggbeater omelette w/ no-fat cheese and ham dices, protein shake, 1 tbsp safflower oil

* I'm shooting for the 3,000 calorie mark here.. trying to hit about 500 calories per meal, and get around 160-170g of protein. Hopefully this is what I'll need.. if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free!

jonr93
04-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Well.. today was a rough day. I went out last night with my roomate and a couple of girls.. and the intention to "only have a couple" because I had to work in the morning. Yeah right.. ended up having WAY too much to drink, went to bed @ 3:30am and woke up at 8am. Worked 5 hours, came home and fell asleep for a little while before my workout.. somehow managed to keep a decent diet all day despite the fact that I drank like a damn fish last night. I'm sitting here right now waiting for my clothes to dry and it's almost 2am, have to be up at 8 again tomorrow.. I'm probably going to catch a nap in the afternoon tomorrow for sure, I need to catch up.

Anyways, today was the first of my WBB#1 shoulders/arms workout.. it went very well, I'm pleased.

I don't have my log in front of me, so I'm going to write some weights down tomorrow if I have time.. otherwise I'll just put an update on Sunday night.

jonr93
04-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Well, it's been a hectic week to say the least. I've finally gotten time to actually sit down and record some weights on here - update the journal..

Diet has been great all week, I have been experimenting with eggs and I think that should help my growth for sure. Bought 2 1/2 dozen the other night and boiled a dozen right away.. it works out good.

Anyways, Monday I had a great chest workout.. but we were pressed for time and the back workout was lacking I would say. These are my weights:

BB Bench: 155x8, 155x6 unassisted, 2 assisted - going to increase to 165 next week.

Incline DB bench: 50x8, 50x8 unassisted, 2 assisted - need to increase, heaviest dumbells in the private gym I'm @ are only 50's though.. so I might buy some 55's. haven't decided yet.

Fly: 45x8, 45x6 UA, 1 A - very good.

Chins: 8xBW, 7xBW unassisted.. needed help on the last one. I'm getting ready to invest in a belt for these + dips.

Deadlift: 140x8x2 - easy to pull up, hard to hang on to. I'm going to check into hooks.

Bent over row: 70x8x2 - good, but could go heavier. Also was rushing and didn't focus enough on form - next week will be better @ 80 and more focused.

Shrug - 50x10 - easy. Going to increase next week.

-------

All in all a good workout - was feeling the chest for the next 3 days. I feel like I'm definitely getting some gains, especially as of late

jonr93
04-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Did legs on weds - pretty good workout. I subbed in leg extensions for the hack squat because I didn't really like that one last week.. it felt like I was focusing too hard on hanging on to the bar and less on actually getting a burn out of my legs.

Squats: 230x8x2 - definitely had to push these out.. but it felt good. I'm going to try 240 next week, but sofar this is the most weight I've done on the squat rack, and damn I was feeling it yesterday.

Leg Ext: 110x8 (way too light), 130x8 - good, need to focus on holding at the extension. It's easy for me to push the weight up, hard for me to hang on to it at the end of the rep..

Leg Curl: 70x8x2 - got both sets to 8 this week, increasing to 80 next week.

Straight-leg DL: 175x8x2 - felt good.. going to go heavier next week with hooks I hope.

Calf raise: 160x10x4 - good, going heavier to 170 next week. Definitely felt these though.

Abs: 3x12 crunch and 3x12 hanging leg raise - abs are still sore today! Felt like I was really pushing it out.. got a good response.

------

Overall a good workout. I'm definitely enjoying the logs I've been taking in the gym because it's allowing me to get the max out of my workouts - I'm narrowing everything down to the exact weights for me, creating the most intense workouts..

------

I'm off to do shoulders and arms right now.. didn't get alot of sleep last night, but I took a 2 hour nap this afternoon so I feel pretty good. Should be a good night.

jonr93
04-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Will post some more diet info later tonight, or Sunday.