PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything bad about milk??



Mic Soloist
04-16-2003, 01:50 AM
I drink like 10 cups of skim milk per day.

Cals: 855

Fat: 4

Carbs: 119

Protein: 84


That is the stats it provides. I do not take supplements or drink protein shakes daily but I still end my day with at least 125 grams of protein and sometimes up to 170 which is good for a guy who weighs 156.


My question is..... is there anything wrong with drinking tons of milk?? Is there anything that isn't good or is harmful about it?

I know it has lots of testosterone and calcium..... but what are the disadvantages????

Shocker
04-16-2003, 01:53 AM
you might poo yourself if you drink enough.

I dont see any reason why not to drink it.
i drink about a litre per day.

GonePostal
04-16-2003, 01:56 AM
In general no. But there are all kinds of stuff in milk that is artificial that you would not like to put in your body. Like different hormones that leak in from keeping the cows in a constant state of pregnancy all the time. Different chemicals and stuff. That and milk/dairy products take a toll on your digestive system. It is a very hard on most peoples digestive system. Again I repeat I am not against milk. I support drinking it but there are some non idealities that go along with it.

bradley
04-16-2003, 02:54 AM
I would say if you aren't lactose intolerant or having any other problems associated with milk consumption then it is fine. I try to get a variety of protein sources in my diet. Milk is a good source of protein and an easy way to get in some extra calories.



I know it has lots of testosterone and calcium..... but what are the disadvantages????

Don't really understand what you mean by testosterone?

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Well, milk has about 190 mgs. of sodium if I'm correct, so 10 cups equals 1900 mgs of sodium. So if your watching your sodium intake, you limit your intake of milk

mikey4402
04-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
I drink like 10 cups of skim milk per day.

Wouldn’t it be easier to get your protein from other sources?

i heard that drinking to much milk can make you lactose intolerant, is this true?

MissFit
04-16-2003, 09:55 AM
milk has a lot of sugar in it, naturally. unless your a girl, or have other problems, i guess that doesnt really matter

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 09:58 AM
the only reason i know of why people sometimes try to limit the milk intake is when they are cutting, and thats only becuase of the sugar that is in the milk.

aka23
04-16-2003, 10:43 AM
I think milk is healthy and desireable beverage when consumed in moderate quantities as part of a balanced diet. Some people can consume large quantities without negative effects. Others have problems with very small quantities.

1. As many as 60 million Americans may be lactose interlorant. This is especially common among certain ethnic groups such as African Americans, American Indians, Asian Americans. Millions of other people are not lactose intolerant, but would run into problems with large quantities of dairy products, such as 10 cups per day. I have problems with more than 2 cups in a sitting.

2. Milk is a common food allergy. It is probably the most common food allergy for Americans.

3. Some types of milk products (not skim milk) contain good amounts of saturated fat an cholesterol.

4. Large quantities may replace valuable nutrients from other foods. For example you may get calories from milk, instead of vegatables. In addition large quantities may result in a poorly balanced diet (too much of one mineral, not enough of another...). Vitamin A/D fortification can present risks in large quantities.

5. Various risks may be associaited with milk production methods -- http://www.mercola.com/article/milk/no_milk.htm , http://www.mercola.com/2000/sept/10/milk_cancer.htm

6. Large quantities may increase risk of certain cancers (some studies suggest there is no such link) and a number of other diseases in persons who are prone to them.

Berserker
04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Your getting less then 50gs of protein in the rest of your diet? That sounds skewed. I think you might need to examine your diet. Just my opinion.
I drank alot of milk when bulking on top of regulor meals. About a gallon 2-3 days.

Severed Ties
04-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Its fine when bulking or off season, but horrible if you are dieting.


ST

PowerManDL
04-16-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MissFit
milk has a lot of sugar in it, naturally. unless your a girl, or have other problems, i guess that doesnt really matter

Psssh....what's a bigger problem than being a girl?

Blood&Iron
04-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Severed Ties
Its fine when bulking or off season, but horrible if you are dieting.


ST
Just curious as to why you're of this opinion?

I sorta agree--mainly due to the fact that's not very filling for the number of calories it packs.

Beyond that, it's fine IMO. Yes, it has galactose which can affect liver glycogen stores, but not in amounts where it's going to matter--unless you're drinking gallons a day(where again the calorie issue is going to be a much bigger problem). It even has some proven benefits while dieting (well, dairy in general).

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Isn't natural sugar better than added sugar?

Scythian_Blade
04-16-2003, 09:20 PM
A couple of observations...

1) A lot of people do not respond well to the high sugar content of milk. Some people do not do well digesting milk (I have heard anecdotal reports of bloating from many sources).

2) Moreover, if I were to consume something that will replenish liver glycogen stores to some extent cutting, I would rather it be lower carb fruits (berries for instance) due to the high antioxidant and other health benefits.

3) For people that use calcium supplements, drinking milk with the supplement might actually facilitate absorption which would be a compelling reason to use at least some milk cutting imo.

Edit:
4) As an economical source of milk protein, why not just use cottage cheese? Fat free cottage cheese will have less sugar and more protein per serving than milk. (though not always as many vitamins and often pretty high in sodium)

Severed Ties
04-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Just curious as to why you're of this opinion?

I sorta agree--mainly due to the fact that's not very filling for the number of calories it packs.

Beyond that, it's fine IMO. Yes, it has galactose which can affect liver glycogen stores, but not in amounts where it's going to matter--unless you're drinking gallons a day(where again the calorie issue is going to be a much bigger problem). It even has some proven benefits while dieting (well, dairy in general).


The insulin index for milk is horrible which can make problems when dieting. Especially when insulin is the main thing I like to manipulate. The spike it elicits is completely undesirable.

ST

Budiak
04-17-2003, 01:20 AM
[quote]Isn't natural sugar better than added sugar?[/i]
No.
Go suck on a sugar cane and then get back to me. No added sugar there.



When bulking last I drank a gallon of 1% milk a day and I put on weight like a mother. BLOATED though, I'm extremely sodium sensitive. Sources say that Chasey drank a gallon and sometimes more of whole milk a day.

For dieting though? I wouldnt recommend it. I mean its got the sodium, tons of sugar, not a lot of protein for the carbs, and any fat in milk is less than choice.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-17-2003, 04:22 AM
I'm more weary of the way they harvest the milk and the chemical content. They put stuff in there, i'm sure.

However, that said, i have a splash in my tea when i drink it and usually top my cereal with it whenever i eat some. Other than that, unless i was struggling for calories during the day (extremely rare), i don't touch it.

Ironman8
04-17-2003, 07:04 AM
I'm currently cutting, so I guess I have to cut out the milk out of my diet.

P.S I thought the milk's sugar was low G.I, so it wouldn't give you an insulin spike?

Manveet
04-17-2003, 09:24 AM
You don't have to cut milk completely out of your diet if you are cutting, at least imo. During my bulk I would consume about 32oz or more of 1% during the day, on my cut I reduced that down to about 16oz at most.

aka23
04-17-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
P.S I thought the milk's sugar was low G.I, so it wouldn't give you an insulin spike?

The glycemic index (GI) measures blood sugar changes after a meal. The insulin index (II) measures the insulin response to a food. Most foods' GI value closely corresponds with their II value. However some protein-rich foods, bakery products, and dairy products have disproprotionately high II values. Dairy products, such as milk fit into this group. They are low GI and high II. There is a table listing the insulin index of foods at the bottom of the article on refeeds at http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

Ironman8
04-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info guys.

Severed Ties
04-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by aka23


The glycemic index (GI) measures blood sugar changes after a meal. The insulin index (II) measures the insulin response to a food. Most foods' GI value closely corresponds with their II value. However some protein-rich foods, bakery products, and dairy products have disproprotionately high II values. Dairy products, such as milk fit into this group. They are low GI and high II. There is a table listing the insulin index of foods at the bottom of the article on refeeds at http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm


Exactly what aka said, which is what makes it horrible for cutting. When bulking and you want 2 or 3 large insulin spikes and are not trying to look as lean as possible then enjoy it.

ST

Silverback
04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Some nice posts ST and AKA, very informative. Milk in moderation is a good thing imo and you could do alot worse than milk, some meats contain enough sodium to last you a week.

body
04-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by aka23
I think milk is healthy and desireable beverage when consumed in moderate quantities as part of a balanced diet. Some people can consume large quantities without negative effects. Others have problems with very small quantities.

1. As many as 60 million Americans may be lactose interlorant. This is especially common among certain ethnic groups such as African Americans, American Indians, Asian Americans. Millions of other people are not lactose intolerant, but would run into problems with large quantities of dairy products, such as 10 cups per day. I have problems with more than 2 cups in a sitting.

2. Milk is a common food allergy. It is probably the most common food allergy for Americans.

3. Some types of milk products (not skim milk) contain good amounts of saturated fat an cholesterol.

4. Large quantities may replace valuable nutrients from other foods. For example you may get calories from milk, instead of vegatables. In addition large quantities may result in a poorly balanced diet (too much of one mineral, not enough of another...). Vitamin A/D fortification can present risks in large quantities.

.

good points.
1+2) though personally i am not in the slightest bit lactose intolerant and suffer no allergies to milk. well the 4-6 pints a day does not seem to bother me.
as for the allergies thats cows milk. there are other types of milk including human milk, but thats quite hard to harvest.

3) just used skimmed and problem solved

4) vitamin and mineral tablet help. milk is not that high in vitamin A, especailly when skimmed, so if your drinking large quanitites of milk its more likely to be skimmed so not a issue anyway.

SoulOfKoRea
04-17-2003, 07:39 PM
I was reading an article on bodybuilding.com and the writer said that it was bad(didn't explain why) and he also said that bread is also bad on a cut? anyone like to elaborate on the latter? I don't think i could eat my natty p'nut butter with anything else!

Ironman8
04-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Well, I don't why he said bread was bad on cut, but it all comes down to calories when it comes to losing weight. Maybe he thinks the carbs are bad when cutting.

GhettoSmurf
04-17-2003, 08:02 PM
maybe because bread (even whole wheat) has a higher GI then other carbs like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, etc.

just a guess of course

2hrd4u
04-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I love milk,and drink a whole lot everyday. Take a look at this web site:notmilk.com

Berserker
04-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
I don't think i could eat my natty p'nut butter with anything else!
I just stick a spoon in the jar.

bradley
04-18-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
I was reading an article on bodybuilding.com and the writer said that it was bad(didn't explain why) and he also said that bread is also bad on a cut? anyone like to elaborate on the latter? I don't think i could eat my natty p'nut butter with anything else!

He could be advocating a lower carb diet or due to the fact that bread has a higher GI than other foods. I personally wouldn't worry about it. The GI is not going to be that big of a deal when you are looking at the whole meal, especially if you are eating the bread with natural peanut butter. The peanut butter would slow the absorption of the bread. Just take into account the calories and you should be fine.

Ironman8
04-18-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Berserker

I just stick a spoon in the jar.

But then the PB will stick to the roof of your mouth :). Heh, that always freaked me out when I was a kid, and it still does.

the_hall
04-18-2003, 10:23 PM
ST,

Assume someone is bulking, yet trying to stay very lean. If they were to add 10 fiber to milk when they drink it, would they be at no greater risk of putting on fat (from the slin spike), than if they had consumed low gi carbs?

Thanks.