PDA

View Full Version : I'm starving, what do I do?

Redkaven
04-16-2003, 09:36 AM
On Monday's through Wendays, I heavy weight train. Thursdays through Saturdays I do 15-45 min cardio, about an average of 25 min.

K, on days I do cardio I'm fine, I'm not that hungrey. I took some advice from people here in the forums and decided to eat a little more. I was burning more calories(so the machine says) than I was consuming.

Ok, now that I've been doing the heavy weight training the past few days, I'm freaking starving. I mean, My stomuch is really letting me know....

So should I pick-up my calorie intake, or should I be trying to consume something else? I'v e not suppose to let myself starve right?

Yesterday was horrid, I could barley control myself to eating a small meal, such as a sandwich, can of tuna, or whatever every 2 hours. Halfway through the day, it wasn't helping, I started eating a small meal every hour.

I would start eating, and as I eat, my stomuch would burn even more as if I was starving, even though I was putting more food in it. I ate so many small meals yesterday that I completely lost count of my cals, carbs, and fats intake.

I dunno what to do about it...

I've been on a low carb, high good fat, standard protein diet.

It seems to be working, God sknow how much weight I've lost. I haven't weighed myself lately. I was 188 pounds 4 weeks ago, week before last I was 182. I know I weigh less than that now. I seen a little muscle loss until I took you guys advice and picked up my cal intake early last week.

Although, I've went up a steady 10 pounds in weight in every excersice I do. Some excerises I could have did alot more I think, but I'm new so I'm trying not to get carried away and hurt myself. I did give in and put on and extra 10(20 pd increase) in my flies this week. I started out on my cardio only being able to last 15 minutes, now I'm going 45 min.

Not much strength and engery loss from my deit so far. My weight workouts are really intense, but I think my cardio still sux...

Back to the problem at hand, do I tough out the starvation, consume something else I should be, or go ahead and increase my cal intake again?

I chase 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a cup of water little before and after miday, everyday. I've been consuming roughly about 1800 calories a day, prolly twice that yesterday, and 1 gram and 1/2 of protein per pound of body wieght. Along with about 75 carbs a day.

I'm over wieght do to a year of no excersise, maybe about 30 min of excersise a week. I've been in training for building websites. very time consuming. So I took a break to get back in shape.

I'm sooooo hungrey, this crap is almost unbareable. HELP ME!

How many cals should I be getting? how many carbs should I be getting? I'm Insulin senitive...

-Redkaven

Tryska
04-16-2003, 09:45 AM
you need more than 1800 calories a day, even when you are cutting.

12 X your bodyweight, minimum, especially when you are training hard.

10X your bw is only good when you are in a coma.

GhettoSmurf
04-16-2003, 09:52 AM
you should definately eat more calories, also you could try eating more fibrous carbs like vegtables. the fiber may help you stay full longer.

bradley
04-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Give us an example of your new diet. You definitely should not be starving. Like the others suggested, I would up your calories. Especially with as much exercise as you are performing each week.

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 05:29 PM
Try having a refeed. Your leptin levels are probably low.

PeterParker
04-16-2003, 05:36 PM
red- how much u weight
u say u eat 75grams of carbs, no wonder your hungry all the time after lifting, if you want to lower carbs just do it on your days you not feel hungry. play it by ear, if your body is crying out for food - feed.

Redkaven
04-16-2003, 09:20 PM
A refeed did it for me....

I feel sooo much better now. It took me awhile to figure out what a refeed was though, lol

:)

Thanks ironman8

-Redkaven

Ironman8
04-17-2003, 07:15 AM
:thumbup:

nikegurl
04-17-2003, 12:07 PM
don't forget what GhettoSmurf said. i'm not a big fan of veggies. i know they're good for me and blah blah blah but i'd frequently skip them. no anymore because the fiber really does make a difference. i'm not saying if you're starving a stalk of celery will solve the problem. but eating veggies throughout the day really does help with hunger.

make sure your calories are high enough and then when you get them where they should be - be sure to include the veggies because they do help make you feel fuller from the fiber.

:thumbup:

GhettoSmurf
04-17-2003, 12:21 PM
in addition to the veggies that nikegurl mentioned, you could also try a cereal like Fiber-One. i know that really fills me up at times, but i'd still try to stick to veggies.

gopher
04-17-2003, 12:40 PM
I am a huge fan of cutting with a high protein, low carb, moderate fat diet. When I cut I keep my carbs under 100/day except for 2 carb up days. Salad and broccoli are key to feeling full without eating too many carbs.

restless
04-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Veggies rule. I haven't got sick since I started having at least 300 gr of green leaf vegetables a day. Whatever the problem is, veggies can only help.

EdgeCrusher
04-17-2003, 02:40 PM
solution? EAT!

Ironman8
04-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Another good high-fiber cereal is the wheat kind (no sugar added). Takes awhile to get used to though.

F40
04-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Despite the good nutritional advice here... if you're starving - so WHAT?

NO PAIN NO GAIN.
Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.

Ironman8
04-21-2003, 02:28 PM
F40 is right. When your starving, you make some good gains. <sarcasm>

Yaz "Zay!"
04-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I have found pyramiding carbs throughout the week takes off some of the hunger edge for me.

Ironman8
04-21-2003, 09:40 PM
Fiber supplements help me.

GhettoSmurf
04-22-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Fiber supplements help me.

same here

not only supplements, but veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and even lettuce. lots of lettuce = very filling not many calories/carbs

Yaz "Zay!"
04-22-2003, 09:14 PM
IMO your best bet is to consistantly take in some type of fiber, and a bit of mono/polyunsaturated fat at each meal. The fiber/low GI carb source will act as a better filler, balance your insulin levels - while the fat will sit longer in your gut.

Drink plenty of water as well. Not 5 quarts at one sitting... but throughout the entire day (as possible). I notice I'm hungrier when I am dehydrated.

Just my experience.