PDA

View Full Version : Cheat Day on a Bulk?

Silverback
04-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Alright, ive been an avdvocate for having a cheat day whilst on a bulk since i started last year. But i thought to myself on saturday why? because all those extra cals could be the cause of adding the extra fat we gain.

Think about it 6 days a week we eat high calorie to gain quality muscle, then one day we pig out if so to speak and thus create an overflow of nutrients influencing the extra fat gain we experience.

Its only a thought and i dont know how right i am, but to me it seems like keeping the usual 7 day schedule of high controlled cals and protein, would be the better option in the long term.

Anyone more informed than me?

B-R

WillKuenzel
04-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Cheat day? On a bulk? Everyday is a cheat day! :D

I would say though if you break down and start eating junk food just to cut back on some of the portions later in the day.

Silverback
04-16-2003, 01:10 PM
lol, well you my friend is an exeption to the rule! Im just a mere mortal and need only 3500-4000 to do a decent bulk, i have to have an element of control, alothugh i am eating all day.

*Gulps protein shake*

CanadianSilverb
04-16-2003, 01:37 PM
That sounds funny... cheat day when bulking. I get fat fast in the offseason. This next offseason my strategy is:
Mon, Tues: Keto type diet (high protien moderate fat)
Wed, Thurs, Friday: Clean whole foods
Sat, Sun: Whatever goes
Also I want to have 3 session of cardio a week at 40minutes.

I will have to determine the calories by what my LBM is at that time.

bradley
04-16-2003, 02:03 PM
I agree with HY. If you have a cheat meal then you should maybe scale back some of the other meals to help compensate for the extra cals. I am not an advocate of an all out gorge fest once a week but I doubt that a cheat meal on the weekend is going to cause any significant fat gain. You have to cut yourself some slack every now and then. Then again if you feel you don't need to cheat at all then that is fine as well:)

Silverback
04-16-2003, 02:11 PM
thats cool brad,

You always seem to have the right answer, you must have an enyclopedia logged into you brain :)

Nice post,i think i will refrain in future to the gorge fest and stick to a cheat meal.

thank you

Silverback
04-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CanadianSilverb
That sounds funny... cheat day when bulking. I get fat fast in the offseason. This next offseason my strategy is:
Mon, Tues: Keto type diet (high protien moderate fat)
Wed, Thurs, Friday: Clean whole foods
Sat, Sun: Whatever goes
Also I want to have 3 session of cardio a week at 40minutes.

I will have to determine the calories by what my LBM is at that time.

Interesting, ive never thought of adopting a strategy like this, i tend to go for six days clean whole foods, then 1 day whatever goes.

I also dont do cardio whilst in the off-season/bulking, but looking at your size it appears that it helps. What kind of cardio do you do, at the moment im too heavy for jogging now, its bike or walking if i can be bothered but i dont really see any benefits for it as calories count

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Cheat days are good, IMO. They keep you motivated to stay on your excercise routine.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-17-2003, 04:19 AM
The cheat days when bulking aren't really for metabolic purposes, but more the mental break from sticking to usual diet foods and eating round the clock.

When bulking i don't really have them, but if i fancy a mars bar or whatever, i'll have one.

tuttle
04-20-2003, 03:17 AM
The way I see it is that you should enjoy eating natural/healthly foods as being a bodybuilder that is one of teh lifestyle choices you have to make. If you cant enjoy that youll find very day a chore!

If you want a change, as I do, On one day eat different types of food to give you a change from your normal diet, but it doesnt have to be junk/crap to be enjoyable! (I think the ## who sell this junk are in a conspiracy with the weight loss industry as very year it gets bigger/wealthly as more peoplr get fat/obsee and die of teh assocciated diseases for the crap forced in the media at the population. One needs the other and vis-versa, its worth thinking about)

Just my take,

Peace

Tuttle

ChrisH
04-20-2003, 04:27 AM
I'm acutally starting to go off junk food because i've experienced now what eating clean is :)
My dad will be like: "What do you want from mcdonalds?" And i'll just ask him to pick up some pitta bread and a few cans of tuna on the way back for me, screw the mcdonalds, I want some protein!
I just gotta keep on track with my diet, and I think its quite brave of me to keep bulking even though im going on holiday to ibiza in a few months :) Normally everyone is cutting :p

Ironman8
04-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
screw the mcdonalds, I want some protein!

LOL!:D