PDA

View Full Version : My diet - check it out, please!

ask
04-16-2003, 01:39 PM
So, here's an example of my daily diet.

Meal 1, breakfast:
- 1 banana
- 2 whole eggs, 8 whites (this is fine, I think. I get some fats right away. Good for breakfast, starving!)
- 1/3 litres milk
- 80 g oats

Meal 2:
- Tuna, about 150 g - that's 30 grams of protein (this is stuffed in oil, so I get a table spoon of two)
- 1/3 l milk
- 60 g Rice

Meal 3:
- 250 grams of extra lean turkey
- 80 g pasta
- veggies

Meal 4:
- A protein shake - powder amounts to 45 grams
- 70 g pasta, with a tablespoon of pesto
- Some veggies

(The days I train, Meal 4 is replaced by my post-workout drink, which consists of 45 grams of protein and 80 grams of carbs followed by some fruits and egg whites)

Meal 5:
- 250 grams of lean beef or chicken
- 1/3 l milk
- 80 g of rice

Meal 6
- A protein shake - 45 grams
- Oats, 60 grams

So, this is what my diet looks like right now; I lowered the carbs, 'cos I'm cutting a little. That explains the twisted ratio. What about fats? The reason I'm used to eating clean is my slow metabolism.

I've been eating like this for a month now; 400 cals less - all carbs. No good signs yet - but I started cardio today, and slowly I will move on to 3 sessions a week, each approximately 30 minutes 6:30 am prior to eating breakfast. The only thing I'ma down is a protein drink with some hydrolysed whey to fight the cabolism.

My weight is about 230, perhaps a little more with BF of 15, I guess (never had it measured. Could be higher, though?). Yep - got ab definition. I'd like to keep bulking, but the fat gets on my nerves. It's unfair, really: my hands, legs, even my belly are fairly lean - but my face and chin look absolutely awful when my bf is high! What's up with that?! Damn these genetics:)

Any feedback is welcome, absolutely! Thanks!:)

bradley
04-16-2003, 01:51 PM
What about fats?

Looks like you could use some more healthy fats in your diet. Some good sources would be fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc.

The only thing I'ma down is a protein drink with some hydrolysed whey to fight the catabolism.

This would mostly be used for energy due to the overnight fast. I am curious as to others opinions on this. Would it be better to include carbs or fat since the protein will be more than likely converted to glucose?

ask
04-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Bradley, thanks for your input!

How much fats would be beneficial? Right now I get about 3 tablespoons. Would you recommend taking it every meal? Like a table spoon or two every meal?

I made that protein reasoning, since I read an article. Some "experts" suggested that having "free" amino acids in your system would help - but why would it NOT be used as glucose, that's what I was wondering too. As you can see, I have no idea at all:) Ever do cardio in the morning?

What do you think about the macros here?

Sorry, I know that's too many ?'s. I'm too curious, though.

bradley
04-16-2003, 02:13 PM
How much fats would be beneficial?

I would say somewhere between 25-30% of daily cals would be a good starting point. You might want to play around with the macronutrient breakdowns and see what works best for you. I do recommend getting an adequate amount omega 3 fats in your diet. Fish oil is an excellent source.

Ever do cardio in the morning?

Yeah, I usually do not concern myself that much about the cardio on an empty stomach theory. I usually down a protein shake with a small amount of carbs and then perform cardio. I find that I have more energy and therefor the cardio seems much more productive than when doing it on an empty stomach. I haven't had any problems losing weight this way in the past.

There are many different opinions on the whole cardio on an empty stomach theory. Another good option for cardio would be something like HIIT. There is a sticky in the training forum about it.

ask
04-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Fish indeed! I should've noted that I do eat fish but only like every other day. Just replace the chicken or beef or whatever with fish, salmon preferably. It's excellent.

You're right about playing around with the breakdown. We're all diffrent. Perhaps I should up the fats and replace some of those proteins. My protein intake is probably higher than it has ever been.

Yes, I've noticed that sticky. Yet to try it!

I suppose sessions of 30 mins is what I'm aiming for right now. Are there any benefits to doing as much as 45 or an hour? Also, it puzzles me there are hardly any recommendations for the tempo of cycling or whatever, pulse?! I have a stationary cycle at home, and that's what I'm using.

Again, thanks for you patience and all that info!

bradley
04-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ask
Fish indeed! I should've noted that I do eat fish but only like every other day. Just replace the chicken or beef or whatever with fish, salmon preferably. It's excellent.

You can also supplement with fish oil. I enjoy salmon as well, excellent source of protein and healthy fats.

Perhaps I should up the fats and replace some of those proteins. My protein intake is probably higher than it has ever been.

Sounds like a good idea IMO.

I suppose sessions of 30 mins is what I'm aiming for right now. Are there any benefits to doing as much as 45 or an hour? Also, it puzzles me there are hardly any recommendations for the tempo of cycling or whatever, pulse?! I have a stationary cycle at home, and that's what I'm using.

Might try running a search or asking this question in the training forum. I personally like to vary the types of cardio I perform. I will sometimes go with moderate intensity for longer duration and at other times go for something more along the lines of HIIT.

Ironman8
04-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Check out the HIIT sticky at the training board. It's very helpful.