PDA

View Full Version : doc...

Yaz
08-06-2001, 12:49 PM
A few questions about your theory of not taking in carbs post workout.

- Whey + Flax, the protein will still be used in muscle repair and not broken down when the muscles are starving for glycogen replenishment?

- Fat slowing down the digestion process, it is plausible to have another serving of protein 1 hour later with your mod-GI carbs? Whey has a high BV I am aware, but with a fat source like that how long do you estimate it takes to fully digest?

- Cortisol levels? How is this affected?

the doc
08-06-2001, 09:19 PM
yaz said,
A few questions about your theory of not taking in carbs post workout.

- Whey + Flax, the protein will still be used in muscle repair and not broken down when the muscles are starving for glycogen replenishment?

- Fat slowing down the digestion process, it is plausible to have another serving of protein 1 hour later with your mod-GI carbs? Whey has a high BV I am aware, but with a fat source like that how long do you estimate it takes to fully digest?

- Cortisol levels? How is this affected?

In terms of fat loss this is advantageous to delay any insulin spike while metabolism is high (burning fat). This is for post workout. Flux through the citric acid cycle which metabolizes acetylCoA is dependant on the substrate (thus adding some fat encourages continued high metabolism.

I can speculate that digestion will be rather fast, say 1-2 hours (especially with hydrolized whey) with the fat taking taking longer. I usually have a can of tuna and some nuts an hour or two later (30 g prot) after my post workout shake (25 g pro.).
Also, i cannot claim to be the originator of this theory. I read about it in natural hormonal enhancement (author Rob Faigan). I am glad you asked this because i went back and reviewed this again. One of the main goals of this program is to maximize testoserone production via workout and diet and suppress cortisol via proper training (ie. avoiding overtraining). He cites several studies which demonstrated that people who consumed a lot fat diet had lower testosterone that those who consumed a moderate fat diet. I am glad i reread this as this is where i was wrong, flax is not what one should center their fat intake around. Why? Because a study also showed that is depended also on the type of fat consumed. Poly-unsats. diets did not show the same testosterone increase between low and mod fat diets. THose who consumed monounsats and sats. did have an increase. SO one should actually consume say whey/olive oil instead of flax. I still will consume flax, but more with the idea of getting enough omega-3s instead of a main source of fat.

What does all this mean? Well since testosterone is arguably the #1 anabolic hormone, one must maximize it though intense workouts and proper diet (moderate mono and sat. fat intake)