PDA

View Full Version : cottage cheese

as0l0
04-18-2003, 06:55 AM
I read that eating cottage cheese before bed helps with keeping your protien up during the night....assuming that's true, can you get the same (similar) effect from Ricotta cheese ?

Ironman8
04-18-2003, 08:21 AM
I'm pretty sure you can get the effect from anything with high protein :)

GhettoSmurf
04-18-2003, 08:25 AM
the main difference that i could think of would be that cottage chese (assuming you get 1% or fat-free) has less fat in it then ricotta cheese.

Berserker
04-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I'm pretty sure you can get the effect from anything with high protein :)
Cottage cheese is good cause it has ceasin in it, which digests slowly.
As far anything being good with high protein, you waouldn't have a whey shake before bed.

starks713
04-18-2003, 03:56 PM
Why wouldn't you have a whey shake before bed? I almost always have one.

bradley
04-18-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by starks713
Why wouldn't you have a whey shake before bed? I almost always have one.

Because whey digests so rapidly. Something like cottage cheese contains caisen which will digest at a much slower rate, which would be better since you will be going without food due to sleeping.

heathj
04-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Bah, it's not like his muscle's are going to atrophy if he drinks whey instead of casien...I don't eat any protein right before bed and I'm doing just fine, thank you. :p

Shocker
04-18-2003, 07:14 PM
maybe you should

GhettoSmurf
04-18-2003, 07:42 PM
if you were to have whey before bed, maybe try having it with milk, or adding some flax oil to it to help slow the digestion of it. but personally i just stick to a nice cup of cottage cheese :D

Shocker
04-18-2003, 07:45 PM
a nice hot cup of cottage cheese

Ironman8
04-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Shocker
a nice hot cup of cottage cheese

Mmmm.......... yummy :D

Vido
04-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
if you were to have whey before bed, maybe try having it with milk, or adding some flax oil to it to help slow the digestion of it. but personally i just stick to a nice cup of cottage cheese :D

Liquid fats don't slow the digestion down, at least not substantially. If you were going to have whey before bed I would have it with some natty pb instead.

as0l0
04-20-2003, 03:22 PM
yeah, and also (from what I've seen) Ricotta has a lot less protien that cottage cheese, so you'd have to eat more Ricotta (and more fat) to get the same amount of protien.

but since I'm not going to be eating cottage cheese and on ckd, the fat is part of the plan, I may give it a try. thanks for the posts.

ZeroBurn
04-21-2003, 05:45 PM
if you mix the whey with milk, the caesin will act as a time-release factor and slow the whey down, although i've no idea how much. i'm sure quite a bit, but i can't imagine to as slow as cottage cheese.

heathj
04-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Shocker
maybe you should

Personally, I don't think that there is going to be much difference if I eat casein compared to whey or whatnot, before you go to bed. If you did a study between two people, I don't think there would be much difference. If you wanna do it, go for it.

Berserker
04-22-2003, 09:21 AM
I agree probably not much difference. Alot of people here like to split hairs and get too carried away.

diego
04-22-2003, 06:57 PM
how much would you guys take of cottage cheese(grams) before bed?and do you add anything to it(for taste)?

Majestic
04-22-2003, 08:41 PM
I'm not answering your question (sorry), but I want to make one thing perfectly clear:

Breakstone's Cottage Cheese is awesome, but it tastes even BETTER if you buy the 4% version (not the 2% low fat kind) in the "mini-cartons".

They come in packs of six. They seem to be "less liquid-like", and less like "milk soup" compared to other cottage cheeses.

But you have to buy the little 6-pack mini-cartons.

NOW DO IT!

And stay away from Kryptonite. tuttut

bradley
04-23-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by diego
how much would you guys take of cottage cheese(grams) before bed?and do you add anything to it(for taste)?

I usually eat about a cup of cottage cheese and mix it with sugar free jello:) Really you can eat how much you want, depending on how many calories you want to eat. I think there is a thread in the recipies section about cottage cheese, although I am not positive. Might check in there for some other ideas.

Saint Patrick
04-25-2003, 02:07 AM

When Bulking I eat a fookin pound every night before bed. When cutting, more like 8 oz.

Berserker
04-25-2003, 07:54 AM
A lb?? 78g of protein. Since its digest slow not so bad. But seems a bit much. I don't think bulking should be an excuse to be a pig. But thats a persoal opinion. I don't like gaining to much fat.

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 08:18 AM

I usually have a Cup of Cottage Cheese and mix in a Tablespoon of Natural Peanut Butter before i go to bed

Vido
04-25-2003, 08:28 AM
I either have 2 cups by itself, or a cup mixed with a scoop of whey and a Tbsp or 2 of natty pb.

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Sometimes I have 1 cup on a bagal.

SoulOfKoRea
04-25-2003, 01:07 PM
has anyone tried putting cottage cheese in a natty peanut butter toasted wheat bread sammich? going to make one later for my 4th meal

Berserker
04-25-2003, 01:11 PM
I am still trying to picture getting the pb and cottage cheese to mix. Plus I would think those are 2 tastes that wouldn't go together. But you never know. Gonna look disgusting thats for sure.

Vido
04-25-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
I am still trying to picture getting the pb and cottage cheese to mix. Plus I would think those are 2 tastes that wouldn't go together. But you never know. Gonna look disgusting thats for sure.

PB goes with anything :D .

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 08:01 PM
i actually have grown quite fond of it. i dunno, maybe my taste buds are weird. i do like some"odd" types of food

heathj
04-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Eat some peaches with yo' cottage cheese.

SoulOfKoRea
04-26-2003, 10:16 AM

actually, I tried it last night and it was ok with plain wheat bread, but this morning I toasted the bread in a toaster first, then spread the cottage cheese on one side and peanut butter on the other, sprinkled some oats on it, and then put both sides together

the toasted bread kinda "melted" the cheese and peanut butter, and the peanut butter masked the taste of the cottage cheese so it was actually pretty much the same as a peanut butter sandwich :) with raw oats

guess I've found my before bed meal :D

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 12:31 PM
lol

ace dogg
04-26-2003, 01:18 PM
yeah tis just cuz casien digests slower. But really, its not gonna make much a diff.

But seriously, am I the only person that has a problem with eating fookin milk curds? gooey milk curds nonetheless.

bradley
04-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ace dogg
yeah tis just cuz casien digests slower. But really, its not gonna make much a diff.

But seriously, am I the only person that has a problem with eating fookin milk curds? gooey milk curds nonetheless.

Well the cottage cheese and the natty pb would make a good before bed meal. The cottage cheese contains slow digesting protein and the fat from the pb will slow digestion even more.

I actually like cottage cheese plain and not to mention it is an excellent bodybuilding food.:)

Berserker
04-26-2003, 05:59 PM
I just eat it plain too. But I like cheese. I live near Wisconsin so I can get the good stuff.

GhettoSmurf
04-26-2003, 06:20 PM
i love it plain as well. i just add the natty PB at night becuase i still usually need some fat for the day. cottage cheese with some pepper sprinkled on it tastes good too. but cottage cheese plain tops them all :)

Ironman8
04-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Natty PB on one side of a bagal and cottage cheese on the other side tastes all weird. But that's what I use to do :D

Berserker
04-26-2003, 09:29 PM
I am a simple man I like to eat both my cottage cheese and pb out of the container.

GhettoSmurf
04-27-2003, 05:08 AM
I am a simple man I like to eat both my cottage cheese and pb out of the container.

i would like to do that, except im afraid if i start eating the cottage cheese straight from the container, i'd end up not stoping and i'd finish off the whole container. :rolleyes:

Ironman8
04-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Heh heh, I have the same problem with PB GhettoSmurf!

Vido
04-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i would like to do that, except im afraid if i start eating the cottage cheese straight from the container, i'd end up not stoping and i'd finish off the whole container. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? :D

Y2A
05-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Majestic
I'm not answering your question (sorry), but I want to make one thing perfectly clear:

Breakstone's Cottage Cheese is awesome, but it tastes even BETTER if you buy the 4% version (not the 2% low fat kind) in the "mini-cartons".

They come in packs of six. They seem to be "less liquid-like", and less like "milk soup" compared to other cottage cheeses.

But you have to buy the little 6-pack mini-cartons.

NOW DO IT!

And stay away from Kryptonite. tuttut

Mmmmmmmmm Breakstone 4% is AWESOME :D Mine comes in a 4-pack though :confused: Delicious mini-cartons :)

Majestic
05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
You're right.....the Breakstone's 4% mini-cartons come in 4 packs.

My refrigerator is encased in lead, disrupting my X-Ray vision, and decreasing the likelihood of constant unnecessary snacking. Thus, I was unable to identify this while typing my original message.

One last time now, for the super-stubborn:

BREAKSTONE'S 4% MINI-PACKS

and stay away from the d*mn Kryptonite!tuttut

AJ_11
05-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by heathj

Personally, I don't think that there is going to be much difference if I eat casein compared to whey or whatnot, before you go to bed. If you did a study between two people, I don't think there would be much difference. If you wanna do it, go for it.

How to Use Various Proteins for Maximal Results
By
Jeff Stout, PhD

Protein ĀEthe building blocks

The word protein is derived from the Greek word meaning "of prime importance." And suffice it to say that protein is pretty darn important to the human body. Enzymes, antibodies, muscle tissue, red blood cells, organs, and many other structural and functional components of your body are comprised of proteins.

Although the primary function of protein is to provide the needed amino acids for maintaining an anabolic state, there are times when it may actually be used as a fuel source. This usually occurs when youíre in a carbohydrate-depleted state (ex. on a low carb diet, exercising continuously for >2 hours). The RDA of 0.8 grams per kilogram body weight per day is much too low for athletes. Current research suggests that 1.5-2.0 grams per kilogram per day is better suited for athletes. If you happen to be metric-illiterate, that translates into 0.68 to 0.90 grams per pound of bodyweight. To be on the safe side, perhaps 1.0 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is best.

Which proteins are best?

You want to eat a complete protein; one that has all of the essential amino acids. Incomplete proteins, such as from peanuts, do not contain all essential amino acids. But if you mix incomplete proteins (e.g., rice and beans), you can get all the essential amino acids. But they are not as well assimilated as protein from animal sources. In addition, we have fast and slow proteins. How can we take advantage of the properties of these special proteins? Like the glycemic index for carbs, the speed in which you absorb various amino acids dictates how well your body uses them. For instance, when you eat a large protein meal, youíll get an initial high peak in blood levels of amino acids followed by a rapid decline. But if you take the same protein in a slow but continuous fashion (e.g., eat small meals throughout the day) you get a smaller, but more sustained increase in serum amino acids. And even though you may be eating the same quantity of the various amino acids, the time in which theyíre delivered can have a profound effect on protein synthesis and breakdown. So which is better, a large quick rise followed by a quick drop? Or a slow rise thatís sustained for a longer period of time? The answerís easy. Both.

In a study performed by French scientists, they examined the effects of casein and whey protein as a single meal ingested (dose = 0.45-0.61 grams protein per kg body weight) by normal healthy adults. They examined blood levels of amino acids for up to seven hours after consuming the protein meal. As expected, the whey protein group experienced a quick rise in blood levels of amino acids with a steady decline while the casein group showed a slow increase that was sustained for the seven hour period. Whole body protein breakdown decreased by 34% after casein ingestion but not with whey protein. On the other hand, protein synthesis increased by 68% in the whey protein group while the casein group increased by 31% (1).

So why the tremendous differences in protein metabolism? Whey protein is rapidly emptied from the stomach yet casein clots in the stomach. Caseinís absorption tends to be much slower. Although casein stimulated protein synthesis less than whey, it had a better effect on inhibiting protein breakdown. This was not due to differing insulin levels (i.e. insulin is a potent inhibitor of protein degradation) since blood levels were similar between the two meals. Interestingly, it may be that you need to maintain a minimal sustained level of blood amino acids in order to inhibit (support?) protein synthesis.

So which is better, casein or whey? Depends on your circumstances. If you are pressed for time and can only get in 2 or 3 meals a day, perhaps a combination of whey and casein will work. On the other hand, if you can eat multiple meals (5-6) throughout the day, it may be best to stick with whey protein. Also, whey protein contains subfractions of various peptides (i.e. small proteins) (e.g., alpha-lactalbumin, beta-lactoglobulin, immunoglobulins, and lactoferrin). Each of these subfractions may have health benefits.

1. Boirie Y et al. Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997 Dec 23;94(26):14930-5.

Quoted from analbolicminds.com