PDA

View Full Version : summer workout goals

unshift
04-19-2003, 08:48 PM
last summer i started lifting and exercising after 7 years of sitting in front of a computer and eating crap all day... so needless to say im quite a bit overweight and looking to thin out

ive been lifing for this whole school year but because of circumstances beyond my control (dorm food, crappy workout schedule, crappy school gym, etc) ive only been able to maintain my weight and not lose any

this summer my goal is to lose 50lbs (in about 4 months). im 5'7 now, about 280lbs :(, if i stick with the following schedule do you think its possible?

monday - chest/triceps, 30-45 mins cardio
tuesday - stomach, 45-60 mins cardio
wednesday - back/biceps, 30-45 mins cardio
thursday - stomach, 45-60 mins cardio
friday - shoulders/legs, 30-45 mins cardio
saturday - 45-60 mins cardio
sunday - rest

and for a rough outline of my diet (estimated about 1500-1700 cals):

meal 1: met-rx shake after lifting
meal 2: salad (croutons, cheese, low-fat dressing)
meal 3: met-rx shake again
meal 4: turkey sandwich
meal 5: chicken breast or other meat
meal 6: met-rx shake yet again

roughly 2-2.5 hours in between each

again, my goal is weight loss/strength gain, i dont really care about getting HUGE muscles. you guys think i can lose 50lbs in 4 months if i stick to it?

Ironman8
04-19-2003, 10:28 PM
First, you need way more calories. After that, experiment with calories until you're losing 1 pound a week.

Second, get some more healthy fats you your diet. Like fish oil, peanuts, olive oil, flax, etc.

Also, where's most of your calories coming from? You should be getting most of it from protein. You can track you calories at fitday.com.

I know that wasn't alot of help, but other people on this board can fill in more.

unshift
04-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
First, you need way more calories. After that, experiment with calories until you're losing 1 pound a week.

Second, get some more healthy fats you your diet. Like fish oil, peanuts, olive oil, flax, etc.

Also, where's most of your calories coming from? You should be getting most of it from protein. You can track you calories at fitday.com.

I know that wasn't alot of help, but other people on this board can fill in more.

how many calories would you recommend? i read that about 70% of maintenance would be good, and i maintain at roughly 2000-2500, so 2000-2500 x 0.7 =~ 1500

most of the calories are from the protein shakes (3 shakes x ~300 cals each) and the meat, as well as some of the crap in the salad (croutons, cheese, dressing =~ 200 cals). should i add in a few miscelleneous items to each meal, like an egg, some peanuts, etc?

also, 1 lb per week? i'm trying for 2-3 lbs per week (or as much as is healthy), time is pretty much of the essence here because i want to make a drastic change before school starts again if at all possible. if i'm building muscle, what's the "accepted" max fat loss/week that is still considered healthy (if such a value even exists)?

i'm pretty half-educated on the subject, any advice is appreciated. thanks for the reply!

Isaac Wilkins
04-19-2003, 11:16 PM
Dude, if you're 280 pounds, lifting hard, and not gaining/losing weight on 2500 cals, then you're metabolism has already shut down.

The Harris-Benedict formula is pretty well regarded for metabolic rate:

Harris Benedict for men:

66 + (13.7 x wt in kg) + (5 x ht in cm) - (6.8 x age in yr) = BMR

An easy way to account for activity:

Daily activity:
Generally lightly active = +30%
Medium activity = +40%
Heavy activity = 50%

You'll have to tweak it a little, as everyone is different. However, this will give you an idea.

Isaac Wilkins
04-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Also, you probably will be able to drop more than a pound a week for a while, if you are quite high in bodyfat.

After a while, you should ease in to one pound per week or so to limit lean mass loss.

bradley
04-20-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by unshift

how many calories would you recommend? i read that about 70% of maintenance would be good, and i maintain at roughly 2000-2500, so 2000-2500 x 0.7 =~ 1500

most of the calories are from the protein shakes (3 shakes x ~300 cals each) and the meat, as well as some of the crap in the salad (croutons, cheese, dressing =~ 200 cals

also, 1 lb per week? i'm trying for 2-3 lbs per week (or as much as is healthy), time is pretty much of the essence here because i want to make a drastic change before school starts again if at all possible. if i'm building muscle, what's the "accepted" max fat loss/week that is still considered healthy (if such a value even exists)?

i'm pretty half-educated on the subject, any advice is appreciated. thanks for the reply!

You could start by breaking your macronutrients down into something like a 40/30/30 split. This means 40% of cals from protein, 30% of cals from carbs, and 30% from fat (most coming from healthy sources). I prefer whole food over shakes when possible mostly because whole food seems to keep me satisfied longer between meals.

As Borris mentioned you will probably start off by losing more than 1lb. a week but I would recommend not trying to drop weight as fast as you can. Instead try dropping it at a slower rate to help minimize LBM losses.

should i add in a few miscelleneous items to each meal, like an egg, some peanuts, etc?

This would be a good idea IMO. Maybe add a tablespoon of olive oil one meal and a few peanuts at another, etc. This would help get your fat intake up a little and also increase your cals which I think are too low at the moment.

Remember that you are trying to change body composition and not just drop scale weight so getting your bf% checked every couple of weeks might be a good idea. Best of luck.

GhettoSmurf
04-20-2003, 04:51 AM

i know when you want to lose weight you want to lose it fast. but then you also need to ask yourself. "Do i want to lose a lot of weight FAST, but also be losing a lot muscle" or "Do i want to lose weight GRADUALLY, and retain most of my muscle."

GhettoSmurf
04-20-2003, 04:55 AM

you are like twice the size of me, and i was actually losing weight on 2500 calories. And I remember when i was eating like 1500 calories a day, and i seriously felt like S*** with no energy at all. You might want to rethink the calorie intake.

Remember, your body still does need calories just to be able to keep itself alive, and be ale to preform bodily functions.

unshift
04-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Borris
Dude, if you're 280 pounds, lifting hard, and not gaining/losing weight on 2500 cals, then you're metabolism has already shut down.

The Harris-Benedict formula is pretty well regarded for metabolic rate:

Harris Benedict for men:

66 + (13.7 x wt in kg) + (5 x ht in cm) - (6.8 x age in yr) = BMR

An easy way to account for activity:

Daily activity:
Generally lightly active = +30%
Medium activity = +40%
Heavy activity = 50%

You'll have to tweak it a little, as everyone is different. However, this will give you an idea.

yeah, the metabolism is off right now. i have school to thank for that since i can't really establish a perfect routine and cause i have to eat their crappy food (have to eat basically all carbs, cause i'm afraid of whatever meat they have there) im not going anywhere right now. and you have to remember, that estimate of 2500 cals isnt from "good food" -- god only knows how they prepare that stuff, so its probably way more than 2500 cals

the formula says 2500 cals for my BMR. so if i were trying to drop a bunch of fat, would i use that as a starting point and work upwards or downwards? im kind of new to calorie counting if you couldn't have guessed :)

unshift
04-20-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

you are like twice the size of me, and i was actually losing weight on 2500 calories. And I remember when i was eating like 1500 calories a day, and i seriously felt like S*** with no energy at all. You might want to rethink the calorie intake.

Remember, your body still does need calories just to be able to keep itself alive, and be ale to preform bodily functions.

last summer when i started lifting (i wasn't lifting much weight at all though) i was feeling fantastic on 1500-1700cals/day. although now that i look at it, not only am i lifting about 2-3X as much weight as i was then, but i'll be adding a lot of cardio to the new routine. thanks for the tips!

Colt
04-20-2003, 08:26 AM
If 2500 is your maintainence drop to 2300 to start for a couple weeks,see how that goes.
Also,you workout schedule is going to burn you out fast,I would take out your 2nd stomach day(abs i'm guessing is what you mean)and either take another rest day or just do cardio.

Ironman8
04-20-2003, 10:25 AM

yeah, the metabolism is off right now. i have school to thank for that since i can't really establish a perfect routine and cause i have to eat their crappy food (have to eat basically all carbs, cause i'm afraid of whatever meat they have there)

Can you pack your own lunch? If you can, you should pack some turkey sandwiches or veggies and fruits.

bradley
04-20-2003, 11:46 AM

yeah, the metabolism is off right now. i have school to thank for that since i can't really establish a perfect routine and cause i have to eat their crappy food (have to eat basically all carbs, cause i'm afraid of whatever meat they have there) im not going anywhere right now. and you have to remember, that estimate of 2500 cals isnt from "good food" -- god only knows how they prepare that stuff, so its probably way more than 2500 cals

the formula says 2500 cals for my BMR. so if i were trying to drop a bunch of fat, would i use that as a starting point and work upwards or downwards? im kind of new to calorie counting if you couldn't have guessed :)

Have you tried talking to someone that works in the cafeteria about maybe getting something "plain." I know at the dorm cafeteria I where I used to eat you could talk to the line manager and request foods without sauces, grilled items, etc.

Your BMR does not take into account your activity level. Might want to start out at 2500 and see what kind of results you get. Stay at this calorie level for about a week and if you are not losing then decrease cals and if you losing too much increase cals a bit. Make small changes in your caloric intake, not drastic ones. I prefer manipulating caloric intake over using formulas because the formulas at best only provide a rough estimate of your calorie intake.

unshift
04-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Have you tried talking to someone that works in the cafeteria about maybe getting something "plain." I know at the dorm cafeteria I where I used to eat you could talk to the line manager and request foods without sauces, grilled items, etc.

Your BMR does not take into account your activity level. Might want to start out at 2500 and see what kind of results you get. Stay at this calorie level for about a week and if you are not losing then decrease cals and if you losing too much increase cals a bit. Make small changes in your caloric intake, not drastic ones. I prefer manipulating caloric intake over using formulas because the formulas at best only provide a rough estimate of your calorie intake.

should i expect any loss on the first couple weeks? i think i read somewhere that during the first few weeks i should expect to gain a few pounds (a combination of new muscle and the fact that i'm eating more food and my metabolism is just starting to speed up) and then begin losing. maybe i need a 2 week "grace period" before i start adjusting?

thanks for all the tips by the way, i really appreciate it

bradley
04-21-2003, 02:26 AM

should i expect any loss on the first couple weeks? i think i read somewhere that during the first few weeks i should expect to gain a few pounds (a combination of new muscle and the fact that i'm eating more food and my metabolism is just starting to speed up) and then begin losing. maybe i need a 2 week "grace period" before i start adjusting?

thanks for all the tips by the way, i really appreciate it

I agree and since you are new to training you might want to stay at that current level for a while and see what kind of results you get. At 280lbs. 2500 calories a day is plently low enough and you might find that it is too low of a calorie intake once you begin your training routine. I wouldn't worry to much about scale weight but more so about overall body compisition. Go by how your clothes are fitting and how you look in the mirror. You could also get your bf% checked every couple of weeks if you wanted, which would be a good way to gauge your progress.