PDA

View Full Version : This One is For the Curl Form Freaks

chris mason
04-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Thought I might show some pictures of a guy with some pretty big arms using form worse than mine in my videos. Seems to have done the trick for him:rolleyes:

This photo is just my favorite, not him curling.

chris mason
04-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Another

chris mason
04-20-2003, 12:07 PM
By the way, these photos are from George Snyder and Rick Wayne's book Posedown .

BigMatt
04-20-2003, 12:16 PM
all i can say is damn those bi's are awsome!

Vido
04-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Clearly Arnold's arms match the rest of his unbelievable physique, but I don't think those pics "prove" anything as you were hoping they would. Maybe he had already gone to failure (or close to it) with perfect form, and was throwing in a couple of cheat curls at the end to complete the job. Maybe he was just doing cheat curls (which I would consider an actual exercise, but are not the same as regular curls). On the other hand, maybe Arnold always did his curls like that, and no one is going to argue with the results.

The fact is, Chris, that people go about attaining their physiques in different ways. You have bigger arms than almost everyone on this site, no one would ever question that. The reason people like myself comment on your form is because you claim that it is stricter that it is. If that form works for you, then by all means keep using it...you are having terrific results. That being said, your form is not strict...period. I just don't think it would hurt you too much to admit that.

chris mason
04-20-2003, 12:36 PM
My form on curls is as strict as I feel it needs to be in order to cause growth. As to my misleading anyone, that is amusing. If my idea was to mislead anyone, I suppose I might not post any videos.

Actually, I think the pictures prove quite a bit. What they prove is that someone with bigger biceps than just about anyone (ever) built them, at least in part, by training in a style YOU don't consider strict.

I'll tell you what Vido, post a video of yourself performing "strict" curls. I would like to see what your subjective version of "strict" is.

Vido
04-20-2003, 12:55 PM
"My form on curls is as strict as I feel it needs to be in order to cause growth"

That's fine, Chris, and that's basically what I said in my original post. I do, however, think there is a difference between "curls with good form" and "curls with form as strict as I feel it needs to be". Really, it's just semantics though, and nothing that needs to be debated.

I never said anything about you misleading anyone, so I'm the one that finds that comment amusing.

Did you even read what I wrote about the cheat curls, or those being curls at the end of a set? Judging from your response, your ego got the best of you (yet again) and you just started typing without even digesting the points I brought forward. Not once have I ever said that you need to use perfect form on every rep of every set in order to to induce growth. How can you infer from 2 pictures that Arnold used that form on every rep of every set? Whether he did or not is not the issue. The issue is you jumping to conclusions because you saw a couple of pictures that aided your argument that form is not overly paramount.

Lastly, you know damn well I won't post a video because I've told you that on many occasions before. You are attempting to discredit my argument by asking me to step up to the plate when you know I will not. I'm pretty sure you know what a "strict" curl looks like, and neither I, nor anyone, needs to post a video to show you.

Bam Bam
04-20-2003, 03:59 PM
is it wrong to lean forward a bit with bent knees so that you cant cheat like that??

Silverback
04-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Bam Bam
is it wrong to lean forward a bit with bent knees so that you cant cheat like that??

The form you describe is how ive always done them except for the last set where i use a bit of body english to cheat and force a few extra reps out.

chris mason
04-20-2003, 04:05 PM
I never said anything about you misleading anyone, so I'm the one that finds that comment amusing.

*********How exactly is the statement below (a quote from you)not stating I was trying to be misleading.

The reason people like myself comment on your form is because you claim that it is stricter that it is

Did you even read what I wrote about the cheat curls, or those being curls at the end of a set?

*******Yes I did, the point was irrelevant to the argument. My point was that he used that form, as I said, as at least a part of his training routine, as I said (and YOU obviously did not read).

How can you infer from 2 pictures that Arnold used that form on every rep of every set?

*******I never did, but good try.

Whether he did or not is not the issue. The issue is you jumping to conclusions because you saw a couple of pictures that aided your argument that form is not overly paramount.

*******Actually Vido, I am not, I also have some interview with Arnold where he discusses it. If you like I can post some quotes (pictures from a book).

Lastly, you know damn well I won't post a video because I've told you that on many occasions before. You are attempting to discredit my argument by asking me to step up to the plate when you know I will not. I'm pretty sure you know what a "strict" curl looks like, and neither I, nor anyone, needs to post a video to show you.

*******Actually, lol, I really don't. You really aren't that important to me that I remember everything you ever posted. So, now that you have "reminded" me I guess I won't ask again (unless of course I forget). Although in the end what it makes you is someone with a big mouth who can't backup what he/she says. People like that should just be quiet and be passive observers.

Now I tire of this argument, so, if it will make you feel better, go ahead and respond in any manner you wish and you will have the last word.

Ironman8
04-20-2003, 07:50 PM
That looks nice.

Rastaman
04-20-2003, 07:54 PM
Personally, I don't think theres anything wrong with a cheat rep or two as long as it's at the end of a set. Thats just my personal preference.

That said, Vido, show some pics. I want to recognize you the next year when we're working out in the Birdcoop. ;)

Skillz
04-20-2003, 08:00 PM
nice pics

i got agree with vido on this though

Skillz

galileo
04-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Well if Arnold did it, then so should I!

rookiebldr
04-20-2003, 09:39 PM
That's what you've been missing!

PowerManDL
04-20-2003, 09:45 PM
No soup for you!

Budiak
04-20-2003, 11:25 PM
I...I dont see any arguments being made.
All I saw is that in order to build incredible arms you dont need to stand straight as a board, arms straight to the side. But we knew this already.
We see Narc's rows and Yates' rows...I throw a little english into my bo rows and I havent stopped growing. The difference between what I do and rows where one would not move one inch while performing a rep would be negligible at best. Chris isnt a small boy and people bashed him for his form. He's not doing anything dangerous, and it doesnt look like his form has hurt his progress.

I dont understand the big hubbub.

heathj
04-20-2003, 11:49 PM
I usually bend my knees at the bottom of the curl and then as I curl up, I explode my legs up, swinging the weight up. Is this correct form?

Assassinator
04-21-2003, 04:00 AM
^^^^^^^

Not really.

But if you're curling some serious weight, and you HAVE to get the last 2 reps, by any means possible, but it is better to keep strict form throughout the whole set.

chris mason
04-21-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by heathj
I usually bend my knees at the bottom of the curl and then as I curl up, I explode my legs up, swinging the weight up. Is this correct form?

You are a complete ass Heath. You are also rather jealous. Just because your years of training have lead to you being nothing more than a puss, that is no reason to post like an ass in every thread I make. One more time and your ass is banned.

MrWebb78
04-21-2003, 09:47 AM
my 2 cents

first off, before anyone gets a fire lit under their ass, lemme say that if how you curl is working for you, then i guess its the right way, for you.

2nd, it is far more impressive in my opinion, to see someone doing curls (db or bb) with strict form with heavy weight, than someone using even heavier weight, but cheating their ass off.

strict-standing still, only arms and weight moves. slight bend in knees, very slight lean forward.

cheating-using momentum to lift the weight, swining it, pushing with legs, leaning back to assist the weight

i hope i didnt really need to define these

galileo
04-21-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by chris mason
You are a complete ass Heath. You are also rather jealous. Just because your years of training have lead to you being nothing more than a puss, that is no reason to post like an ass in every thread I make.

I can't comment on other threads, but I think this is a very un-modlike comment. If you bashed something I said and I threw your failures in your face, would that be better or worse? I think for your age and experience you should handle things with the same respect you think you deserve. It's just as simple to say, "One more comment such as this and you are banned" ala Paul Stagg, rather than insulting him for having less training success than you.

ElPietro
04-21-2003, 09:57 AM
I think there are some bad assumptions being made here.

There is no doubt that cheating may aid in getting through sticking points which will obviously lead to big gains in hypertrophy.

Form is whatever you are comfortable with.

The only issue I see here, is that if you post lifts, and are saying look how much weight I can lift, then form becomes a matter of utmost interest. Considering form is what dictates often how much you can lift, it really isn't pertinent to say look how big it made me, if you are only talking about the amount of weight you are lifting. They are completely seperate and unrelated issues, so it's a pretty invalid argument.

If someone says look how much I can squat, and they do 6 plates with quarter depth, and have a huge physique, saying that they are big from doing cheat reps doesn't reflect at all on the fact that they wouldn't be able to do 6 plates using form someone else would consider to be strict.

So although this argument remains amusing, it's rather pointless. We all have different ROMS and standards, and form issues, so it's interesting to see how others do it, but I won't be comparing myself to others unless our form is very, very similar.

This post isn't directed at anyone in particular either.

rookiebldr
04-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
my 2 cents

first off, before anyone gets a fire lit under their ass, lemme say that if how you curl is working for you, then i guess its the right way, for you.

2nd, it is far more impressive in my opinion, to see someone doing curls (db or bb) with strict form with heavy weight, than someone using even heavier weight, but cheating their ass off.

strict-standing still, only arms and weight moves. slight bend in knees, very slight lean forward.

cheating-using momentum to lift the weight, swining it, pushing with legs, leaning back to assist the weight

i hope i didnt really need to define these

:withstupi Form is important, enough said.

Galileo, age has nothing to do with it. It is what it is.

BennettBoy
04-21-2003, 10:14 AM
That 1st photo of Arnold is AWESOME! I love his quads in those pictures. The huge quads bodybuilders today have is simply not appealing to me. And Arnold's chest was just super.

chris mason
04-21-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by galileo

I can't comment on other threads, but I think this is a very un-modlike comment. If you bashed something I said and I threw your failures in your face, would that be better or worse? I think for your age and experience you should handle things with the same respect you think you deserve. It's just as simple to say, "One more comment such as this and you are banned" ala Paul Stagg, rather than insulting him for having less training success than you.

You are no different than him with respect to me. You try to jump on me every chance you get. I'll answer your little comment. In my work life I run a mid-size car dealership. I manage many people. Professionalism etc. most assuredly has its place. There does come a point, however, where things need to be said, where people need to know what is up. I have handled all of his bull**** "properly" up to this point. Obviously, he doesn't get it. Therefore, I wanted to let him know what I thought in no uncertain terms. You can call it what you want, but that is what is going to happen when I feel I have obsorbed too much ****.

chris mason
04-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
That 1st photo of Arnold is AWESOME! I love his quads in those pictures. The huge quads bodybuilders today have is simply not appealing to me. And Arnold's chest was just super.

Good call Bennett.

MrWebb78
04-21-2003, 10:28 AM
well since im still sorta new here, i may be a little clueless.

are you saying that we all have to respect you? because you deserve it? dont you have to earn it? chris you started this thread even titling it with something that you knew would start an arguement. then you constantly throw up pictures and videos for us all to see, and when someone doesnt agree or makes a comment, you threaten to ban them, quite often. then flat out say people are jealous of you, is this something you truly believe? or just want to believe?

Bam Bam
04-21-2003, 10:31 AM
if i get a video of me doing 70lb db curls will someone host it for me ???

i want to check my form with you guys

chris mason
04-21-2003, 10:48 AM
No, I never threaten to ban someone who has something to say that is targeted at something other than just being a jerk, and even then I let 99% of the stuff go. Use Narc as a perfect example. Before I even considered banning him he insulted me every which way but loose.

No one on this side need respect me in the slightest. That being said, the same as I will not tolerate others being harassed, I can only tolerate so much b.s. slung at me. Both Galileo and Heath have issues with me. Galileo since a thread about gyno and why people have it (which evidently hurt his feelings) and Heath, who knows.

So, some people on this site don't like, that is fine. People can razz me all they like, but at some point I will decide not to take it. For those who wish to test my tolerance, feel free, but don't cry about it when the **** hits the fan.

YeloBlammo
04-21-2003, 10:58 AM
cheater curls are popular around here, its seems everyone does them :rolleyes:

galileo
04-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Actually, no, I don't Mr. Mason. In fact, we had one encounter, which I sent you a very respectful PM in hopes to resolve. I can not say that you should be the equivalent, but it was resolved nonetheless. So why are you going to continue to bring it up? Disrespect.

But in any case, I'll bite. I don't know how you can't see your own condescension? What were you thinking while typing "I'll answer your little comment?" It's rude and disrespectful. Under no circumstances was that justified.

Yes, we all know what you do for a living. For some reason you've mentioned it in each discussion that we've had. I just hope you deal with your employees in a more respectful manner.

If you have something to say to someone, take it to PM. You're a mod, edit the posts with negative comments and handle it elsewhere. You are supposed to be the bigger man. That's why are you are in the position you are in. You can point the finger all you want, but heath is not a mod so his conduct doesn't need to reflect his position. How do you think it reflects on the site when people see moderators insulting users? If you are out for the good of the site, you'd be more responsible with your words.

This situation is like a teacher calling a student a crude name. Your job is to be above the pettiness.

I have no personal comments to say about you, your methods of training, or personal life. I am only stating that I think you are a bad moderator. I don't think you are the only bad moderator, but that does not give you free reign to degrade the value of the site, does it?

galileo
04-21-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by chris mason
Galileo since a thread about gyno and why people have it (which evidently hurt his feelings) and Heath, who knows.

Oh please! I just called you out on something that I had to deal with for the last 5 years. Why should it hurt my feelings that you have obtuse opinions on something? That's a little self-centric, wouldn't you say?

chris mason
04-21-2003, 11:13 AM
You're the best, I'm an ass.

Rock
04-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Chris Mason did not use poor form, he used damn near perfect form at his curls. Its very easy for someone who curls 40kgs to say to the guy who curls 100kgs that he is using bad form, that weight is so heavy, that movement from body is just going to be there.

Gally, come on, Chris is not a bad moderator, I remember the gyno argument, and it was really very little to get upset about.

Remember when I posted my first picture, I was told I was a ****, had no chances to get muscular, a chicken man, a big talking asshole, bad hair, like tons of stuff like that, sure I was 16 and stupid, but I still tried to make friends with everybody here, because I knew that deep inside we all just want to be friends.

Chris does a very important job on wbb, he uses his experiences to find out, if the truth is being said or not.

BigMatt
04-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy

Amen.

PowerManDL
04-21-2003, 11:57 AM
This one's had its day.