PDA

View Full Version : Metabolic Rate Question

Neil
04-21-2003, 10:32 AM
If eating more often increases your metabolic rate then wouldn't it make sense to eat less often when bulking? I was thinking 3 or 4 large meals a day. What do you guys think of this?

Y2A
04-21-2003, 10:34 AM
One reason you would want to stay with more meals is that your body needs a constant supply of nutrients.

Ironman8
04-21-2003, 10:49 AM
When bulking, just eat whatever you see :)

Workhorse
04-21-2003, 10:55 AM
You don't just eat frequently to increase your metabolic rate. Its also about keeping a constant influx of nutrient to your body. Yes, eating frequently increases your bodies metabolism, but that's not the only reason to do it. If you're bulking, its very hard to eat enough in 3 meals to cause an excess of calories for your body in order to gain weight... I can barely get enough cals over 6 meals to bulk... I don't know how anyone could do it in 3 meals. JMHO.

body
04-21-2003, 11:10 AM
smaller meals help keep insulin levels more stable.

plus if you eat more in one go, you get a larger thermic effect all in one go.

Workhorse
04-21-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by body
smaller meals help keep insulin levels more stable.

plus if you eat more in you goal, you get a larger thermic effect all in one go.
I believe its the frequency of the meals to help keep insulin levels stable and not have the peaks and valleys that occur after more than around 3 hours between meals... the size is a factor, but I believe the timing is more important.