PDA

View Full Version : Back on CKD

Shark
04-21-2003, 02:52 PM
I had to go off of Keto for a week do to various visitors and easter but I'm back on as of today. The 10 pounds I lost in the first two weeks with re-feed have not come back. This surprised me as I figured that was mostly glycogen weight and water. However, i gained maybe a pound back not monitoring my eating at all for a week, including easter etc. My question really is what are the best ways of quickly getting back into Keto post re-feed. It seems to take me at least 2.5 days accoring to my keto stix. Any ideas?

raniali
04-21-2003, 03:16 PM
2.5 days is about right if you are fairly new to keto diets
as you continue - the transition gets quicker and quicker. i could return to keto in less than 1.5 days. just do what you did before and keep plugging along - your body's ability to adapt is amazing.

bradley
04-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Exercise will decrease the amount of time it takes to enter ketosis by depleting liver glycogen. If you are not scheduled to workout with weights then you could perform low intensity aerobic exercise which will deplete liver glycogen but not have too much effect on muscle glycogen.

If you have a workout scheduled then perform your normal workout and the perform approx. 15 minutes or so of low intensity cardio which will provide free fatty acids for the liver to produce ketones.

Shark
04-21-2003, 07:39 PM
Raniali,
This to me seems like an issue. That gives me like 3.5 solid days of Keto out of every 7. That seems like not very many to me. I guess this is why i keep saying that I want to do a re-load every two weeks instead of one. Then you're in keto for 10 days out of 14, 3 extra days every two weeks. That's like three weeks of dieting for the cost of two.

bradley
04-22-2003, 02:31 AM
I would say 2 weeks would be too long to go without a carb up. Your workouts will probably suffer if you go this long without a carb up. Are you performing a one or two day carb up as of right now? If you are performing 2 then drop down to one carb day if you like or you could have your carb up every 10 days.

It takes patience and the diet will work if you give it a chance. It will not happen overnight, and like Raniali said the more you go in and out of ketosis the faster your body can shift from glucose metabolism to fat metabolism.

With that being said even though you are not in ketosis at the beginning of the week you are still in a caloric deficit which is the overall goal of a diet.

Shark
04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Good point. I guess even if its not ketosis I should still theoretically be dropping weight during those first dew days.

raniali
04-22-2003, 12:35 PM
2 weeks without a carb-up is too long (like bradley said)
another point to remember is that you are aiming for 1-1.5 lb fat loss each week which is EASILY done with the few days of keto. unfortunately - these things take time and more is not always better.