PDA

View Full Version : Eating before squats......

starks713
04-21-2003, 05:24 PM
What do you guys eat before doing squats? Usually about an hour before I do my leg routine I eat a tuna sandwich on wheat bread with some low fat mayo lettuce and tomato and a banana and still half way through my routine I feel so sick I have to leave. Any tips?

raniali
04-21-2003, 05:34 PM
cut out the mayo (fat)
i only consume carbs and protein the meal before i train and i typically don't eat closer than an 1 - 1.5 hr from training as i HATE the feeling of being full during my training .... however, i know others who fill up 20 mins before they train for the exact reason i don't.

unshift
04-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by starks713
What do you guys eat before doing squats? Usually about an hour before I do my leg routine I eat a tuna sandwich on wheat bread with some low fat mayo lettuce and tomato and a banana and still half way through my routine I feel so sick I have to leave. Any tips?

personally i prefer to lift on an empty stomach (wake up and hit the gym first thing) but since i can't always do that, i usually have a light meal 1.5-2 hours before working out

also, where in your routine do squats come in? first, last, or in the middle? (personally i do them first)

Ironman8
04-21-2003, 09:44 PM
I usually have a protein shake and 1 packet of instant oatmeal 1 hour before I hit the gym.

bradley
04-22-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by unshift

personally i prefer to lift on an empty stomach (wake up and hit the gym first thing) but since i can't always do that, i usually have a light meal 1.5-2 hours before working out

also, where in your routine do squats come in? first, last, or in the middle? (personally i do them first)

Lifting on an empty stomach would not be ideal IMO. I would stick to having a light meal 1.5-2 hours before your workout.

I prefer performing squats first because I want to be able to put as much intnesity as I can and if I did them last or in the middle of my routine I could find myself fatigued from the other exercises.

GhettoSmurf
04-22-2003, 04:50 AM
i usually have a homemade MRP, 1/2 Cup Oats, 1 Cup Water, .5 Scoop Whey, .5 Tablespoons of Flaxseed oil about 30 minutes-1 hour before i go lift. so far, so good

Berserker
04-22-2003, 09:17 AM
I usually have a meal about an hour before. Any longer and I would be hungry when lifting. While I don't want to be bloated I don't mind a little in my stomach. Somethimes I'll drink milk while working out, if I get hungry.
Also I eat the same thing before squat as any other wo.

MrWebb78
04-22-2003, 09:29 AM
starks, try some food that isnt so bulky or hard to digest(solid food)

try what others suggsted, protein shake, with some oats.

part of feeling sick during squats is a good way of knowing your doing them right though, imo. :)

Ironman8
04-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Lifting on an empty stomach would not be ideal IMO.

Is lifting on an empty stomach too catabolic? Or is that only during cardio?

Berserker
04-22-2003, 11:08 AM
I would think both cardio and lifting are going to have a similar effect. Just my guess.

body
04-22-2003, 11:11 AM
I have a pint of milk. then walk into the gym, get changed and start squating.
I can eat very closely to trianing with no ill effect.

but i have that before every session in the gym

bradley
04-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Well after an overnight fast I would want to make sure and get some nutrients into my body before going out and having an intense workout. I am sure that you will lose weight faster if you workout on an empty stomach but how much of that will be muscle loss? What I am saying is that after an overnight fast and then going and performing high intensity training, which is stressful to the body in itself, sounds like a recipe for muscle catabolism.

I know there are many different opinions on morning cardio but you must also remember that cardio is more of an aerobic activity where as weight training is anaerobic.

I recommend having something easily digestable about 45-60 minutes before training. It might take a little experimenting to find what works the best for you.

EdgarMex
04-22-2003, 02:04 PM
I have a regular meal (rice/pasta and /chicken/beef) 1.5 to 2 hours before training. Ands squats are always first, it would be too hard and intensity would not be the same if my legs were already prefatigued from doing something else first