PDA

View Full Version : NEW member! nutritional breakdown help

greekboy80
04-22-2003, 03:20 PM
hows this breakdown, i'd like some info back.
im basicly trying to cut now, but also trying to put on some mass. i know its hard to do but some tips would be appreciated. thanks

im 6'3, 215 and about 15 %BF

on days that i work out...
3575 cal's
220 pro
65 carbs

on days that i do not work out i cut the carbs in half, and ingest less cals, try to keep protien up!

in addition to working out i usually walk for about an hour and a half sessions, twice a week. i also play a variety of sports for leisure. what do you think?

captnjosh
04-22-2003, 03:27 PM
3575 cal's
220 pro
65 carbs

Is that 220 grams of protein and 65 grams of carbs?
If so that only makes about 1140 cal's from them. Does the other 2435 cal's come from fats?
If so you might want to cut back on the fat and increase the carbs which are way low anyhow.

greekboy80
04-22-2003, 03:49 PM
well, i try to keep my carbs low, so the fat comes naturally. not sure if i want to up my carbs anymore, im trying to cut some weight.

raniali
04-22-2003, 03:52 PM
u r trying to cut wt but want to lift heavy and gain muscle
we all do - but you are NOT going to be doing heavy lifting on 65 g carbs a day. you need to decide what you want more: diet or gain. they are contradicting goals and you must make a plan for one or the other otherwise you will get nowhere.

greekboy80
04-22-2003, 03:55 PM
raniali----i read in Muscle and fitness mag. on a study done by Jeff Volek....he said that on a low carb diet its very possible to loose fat and gain muscle mass? i have 1 refeed day on the weekends, whould that help?

bradley
04-22-2003, 04:24 PM
So you are getting 270.5g of fat naturally without supplementing with oils or anything? What types of foods are you eating? I think you would make much better progress by focusing on one goal, losing or gaining weight. It would be a lot more helpful if you posted an example of your daily diet. Going by what you have given so far your macro breakdown looks something like this 25/7/68 (p/c/f). Are you trying for a ketogenic diet?

raniali
04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
yeah - pleez post ur diet

greekboy80
04-22-2003, 09:05 PM
breakfast:
4 eggs 1 tblsp butter
4 pieces bacon
1 cup coffee w/splenda and 1 tbs cream
1 string cheese

lunch:
tuna sandwhich(full can of tuna w/mayo) w/low carb bread
2 hot dogs w/mustard, no buns
string cheese
peanuts 1 serving

snack:
2 dogs
cheese stick
peanuts
1 scoop peanut butter

dinner:
1 serving fish
1 serving chicken
1 can green beans
1 tblsp butter

snack:
2 eggs
2 bacon
1 tpsp butter
protien shake

thats it in a nutshell on days i work out. on days that i do not, i cut the carbs in half. yes, i am trying to keep my body ketogenic throughout the week w/1 reefeed day on the weekend. thats the reason for the amount of fat. i thought you were trying to up your intake of fat on a keto diet?

also someone posted about my workouts being limited...i have been doing this for about 3 months and i have never lifted as much on any exercise ever! my strength keeps going up. all of my bodyparts are lifting more than ever. anyways thanks for the help. this is the best board that i have been to yet, on the others i never get a response! thanks

captnjosh
04-22-2003, 09:26 PM
I see that you want to stay in Keto but if you want to gain mass you will need to up your carbs. Personaly I would try and eat a little cleaner also. What you really should do is decide if you want to cut or gain and go from there.

BTW: what is low carb bread?

Ironman8
04-22-2003, 09:32 PM
I thought the cheese stick has carbs. Wouldn't that kick you out of keto?

Isaac Wilkins
04-22-2003, 09:45 PM
The string cheese should be fine. Most brands only have like 1g of carbs per stick.

The peanut butter might be coming awfully close to kicking you out, though.

Vido
04-23-2003, 01:10 AM
65 g of carbs is way too many for you to be getting into ketosis.

bradley
04-23-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by greekboy80
thats it in a nutshell on days i work out. on days that i do not, i cut the carbs in half. yes, i am trying to keep my body ketogenic throughout the week w/1 reefeed day on the weekend. thats the reason for the amount of fat. i thought you were trying to up your intake of fat on a keto diet?

also someone posted about my workouts being limited...i have been doing this for about 3 months and i have never lifted as much on any exercise ever! my strength keeps going up. all of my bodyparts are lifting more than ever. anyways thanks for the help. this is the best board that i have been to yet, on the others i never get a response! thanks

I would lower carbs down some more if you are trying to stay in ketosis. I would say around 20g per day but some people can eat more and remain in ketosis.

Although it is possible to gain weight while performing a ketogenic I think they are best served for losing weight. Your diet makes much more sense now that I know you are trying to enter ketosis. The refeed day is definitely a good idea to help replenish muslce glycogen after the low carb week. I would recommend running a search on CKD and also reading the article on the WBB main page. This should give you a lot of info about a cyclical ketogenic diet which is what it sounds like you are trying to do.

You can also purchase Ketostix if you want to check your urinary ketone levels, which will help in determining if you are in ketosis.

bigswole30
04-23-2003, 08:17 AM
The best way to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time is to break your food down as follows:

50%protein, 20%, 30%fat. This will able you to take in more calories for muscle building. However, your carbs are just enough to replace glycogen. A sample meal plan would be like this:

Meal 1
6 eggwhites, 2 yolks
4oz. lean meat
1/2 cup oats

meal 2
50 grams blended protein w/ healthy fats

meal 3
8-10 oz. lean meat
1/2 cup brown rice or sweet potato

meal 4
same as meal 2

meal 5
10oz lean meat
1 cup veggies or large salad w/ Nemmans o&v

meal6
same as 2-4 mins the fats.

I used this diet for the last four weeks and went from 198lbs and 12% bodyfat to 192lbs and 9% bodyfat.

greekboy80
04-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Natures own now makes low carb bread, and its actually pretty good. check it out! 14 grams of carbs per 2 slices but 4 of those are fiber....so i call it 10 grams for 2 slices.
thanks guys, that total that i gave you at the begenning was just a day that i picked to see what my total would be for my personal benifit. i usually keep my carbs around 30 a day, but i was told to up my carbs on days that i work out to help with protien synthesis. thats when i eat some breaded chicken,and that low carb bread after my work outs. and days that i do not i uasually keep my carbs pretty low. anyways thanks for the advice! ive read about the CKD on T-mag. i jsut never actually knew how much carbs i was eating before thats why i kept that journal for a day. i will now try to keep them lower!

raniali
04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
actually you might better be served by a TKD instead of a CKD - which is similar to what you are doing now by consuming more carbs around your workout times. however to follow a true TKD, your carbs are even higher than 65g (i think upwards of 100-150g but all ingested immediately before or after training) and there is no weekly refeed.

having said all that however -- as i have said many times before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. if you are gaining strength you are inevitably growing and if you feel you are also leaning out following this plan, then more power to you.

Ironman8
04-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Low carb bread? Heh, I'll check that out when I decide to go on CKD.

bradley
04-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by raniali
actually you might better be served by a TKD instead of a CKD - which is similar to what you are doing now by consuming more carbs around your workout times. however to follow a true TKD, your carbs are even higher than 65g (i think upwards of 100-150g but all ingested immediately before or after training) and there is no weekly refeed.

I would recommend starting off with about 50g of carbs, consumed 30-60 minutes before training and if you decide to go with more than that then consume the rest postworkout. Preworkout carbs will have less of an effect on ketosis than carbs consumed postworkout.

When consuming carbs postworkout the type of carb is not as import but if you are consuming carbs postworkout I would stick to dextrose and probably no more than 50g.

bradley
04-24-2003, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Low carb bread? Heh, I'll check that out when I decide to go on CKD.

Just thought I would post the nutritional info on the low carb bread:

Nature's Own Reduced Carb Premium Wheat Bread
Serving Size (28g) = 1 oz., Servings per container = 20
Amount per Serving
Calories 60
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1g
Saturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monosaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 105 mg
Total Carbohydrates 7g (Effective carb count = 5 grams after subtracting 2 grams of fiber)
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 0g
Protein 6g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 4% Iron 6%

Ingredients: Water, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Protein, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Corn Starch, Yeast, Contains 2% or less of each of the following: Soybean Oil, Wheat Bran, Salt, Dough Conditioners (Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Stearoyl-2-Lactylate, Monoglycerides, Calcium Peroxide, Ethoxylated Mono and Diglycerides, Datem) Cultured Whey, Vinegar, Monocalcium Phosphate, Yeast Food (Ammonium Sulfate).

I would still be careful about eating this bread if I was performing a CKD. Five grams of carbs can add up rather quickly when you are trying to stay under 20g total for the day. I would try and let most of those carbs come from veggies and you must also account for the trace carbs that are in some foods.

Ironman8
04-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Cool. Thanks Bradley.