PDA

View Full Version : afternoon crash

johnny123
04-22-2003, 08:51 PM
ive been back in the office enviroment, awaiting my break break as a movie star. i encounter something i read in health magazines and whatnot. after lunch, i just crash. i need some suggestions, because im just so wiped out after lunch. granted my lunches are a little carb laden. usually a PB&J sandwich, or turkey sandwhich on wheat, and usually some pretzels and water. not the greatest, but i eat a decent breakfast, and have a tub of whey at my desk.

i wake up about 6 ish, work at 7ish, and have lunch at 11:30. but 12:30 im dragging arse.

anyone in the same boat? thanks!

Ironman8
04-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Maybe you're having a insulin spike from the PB&J? Also, turkey has something in it that's make's your sleepy.

Vido
04-23-2003, 01:08 AM
Tryptophan

bradley
04-23-2003, 03:12 AM
As Vido suggested it could be from the tryptophan in the turkey. Since you are eating a good bit of carbs with this meal the tryptophan could be playing a larger part in your drowsiness because tryptophan is not removed from the blood by the actions of insulin. This would cause you to have a higher concentration of tryptophan in your blood, and therefor more is able to enter the brain. Since tryptophan is a precursor for the neurotransmitter serotonin, more serotonin can be made.

Although you could just be eating a large carb meal which causes a large insulin response and when blood sugar levels drop you become tired and lethargic.

tjwes
04-27-2003, 11:57 AM
Ever try getting to bed a little earlier? Sleep is of the utmost importance when training .Also have a whey shake in water instead of the sandwich.

bradley
04-27-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by tjwes
Ever try getting to bed a little earlier? Sleep is of the utmost importance when training .Also have a whey shake in water instead of the sandwich.

If you are going to have whey at other times during the day besides postworkout I would mix it with milk. The whey mixed with water would digest to rapidly and the milk would help slow the absorption of the whey.

MrWebb78
04-27-2003, 04:26 PM
its just part of the daily cycle

people get tired usually between the hours of 1pm-3pm

im too tired myself to type out the intelligent physiological proof of this, so just accept it, and take some meth

Alex.V
04-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Turkey is no higher in tryptophan than any other poultry. In fact, poultry is only marginally higher than most other meat in that amino acid. Certainly not enough to cause any sort of drag whatsoever.

Ironman8
04-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Then he's probably having a sugar crash.

Alex.V
04-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Bump for me.

:)

Scythian_Blade
04-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by bradley
As Vido suggested it could be from the tryptophan in the turkey. Since you are eating a good bit of carbs with this meal the tryptophan could be playing a larger part in your drowsiness because tryptophan is not removed from the blood by the actions of insulin. This would cause you to have a higher concentration of tryptophan in your blood, and therefor more is able to enter the brain. Since tryptophan is a precursor for the neurotransmitter serotonin, more serotonin can be made.

Although you could just be eating a large carb meal which causes a large insulin response and when blood sugar levels drop you become tired and lethargic.

Good explanation. Until I read about this I was surprised why I never felt lethargic and sleepy at all after eating turkey burgers on a high fat diet, but that it would always knock me out when combined with carbs.

I agree the high carb content of the lunch is probably the main culprit though. Also, it won't help matters if you are using high sodium deli turkey instead of fresh breast of turkey. Too high of sodium content in a meal can upset electrolyte balance/cause increase in thirst and an overall lethargic/bloated feeling.

As a practical consideration, try going with a salad + olive oil and low sodium chicken or turkey and see how you feel. I bet it will solve your problem. Salad+Olive oil will help keep you full but not bloated.

Ironman8
04-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Plus, olive oil has healthy fats in it. So you'll be getting the fat in your diet.