PDA

View Full Version : Has Lyle McDonald changed his mind on Keto?

Scott S
04-23-2003, 12:25 AM
When I first started reading about him, it was about the book and how ketogenic diets worked better and spared muscle, etc, etc... [that's the impression I got, anyway; correct me if that isn't the real premise of the book]

From what I've been reading lately though, it seems like he really doesn't support it anymore. He's stated that it doesn't seem to work that much better than other hypocaloric diets, and might not even be muscle-sparing in leaner people.

Now, I'm all for people changing their minds when they continue their research (I still love the "ripped on table sugar" comment!), but does it seem to anyone else like he has more or less withdrawn his support for the ketogenic diet?

(Please don't flame me, just looking for answers...)

Thanks,
- Scott

P.S. Or was "The Ketogenic Diet" targeted at fat people (not BBers) the whole time, anyway?

tryingtobebig
04-23-2003, 02:27 AM
His book is very unbiased...it is not pro keto or anti. I believe he states in there that one of the premises of the diet is that it is suposedly muscle sparring. But he is honest that it is not a miracle diet, and that other diets can be just as effective. Listen to his interview with that Greenwald guy (or something like that) and his interview here and his opus journal.

carolinagirl
04-23-2003, 09:26 AM
He seems to think now that the cyclical aspect of it (the refeeds) were what made it work because of their effects on leptin, not the keto part. he now thinks that the hypocaloric phase can be any macro breakdown as long as you have the refeeds.

Ironman8
04-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Speaking of Lyle Mcdonald, where can I find his articles on the internet? Or do I have to buy his book? Thanks.

raniali
04-23-2003, 12:04 PM
reading lyle's stuff through his stint with keto to the present, he has repeatedly made adjustments to figure out what works and what doesn't. i haven't read his latest retracting keto diets but it wouldn't surprise me that he has continued to research and experiment and come to another conclusion.

Scott S
04-23-2003, 12:47 PM
Here's where the BodyOpus diary and three-part CKD articles are archived:

http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/

Some of the links are goofy, but if you modify them in a logical way, you'll find everything.

- Scott

bradley
04-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Speaking of Lyle Mcdonald, where can I find his articles on the internet? Or do I have to buy his book? Thanks.

Try running a search on google and you should pull up a lot of his old articles. He has written articles for many different sites on the web.

Ironman8
04-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Ok. Thanks Bradley.