PDA

View Full Version : Lean Red Meats....

somekindahate
04-23-2003, 10:00 PM
say if i buy a cube steak do i barley cook it (so i get the protein intake)or can i cook it med. well. and is cube steak a lean red meat?

Ironman8
04-23-2003, 10:04 PM
I think you can cook it anyway you want. As for it being lean, check the usda nutritional page.

somekindahate
04-23-2003, 10:25 PM
where that?

bradley
04-24-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by somekindahate
where that?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR15/sr15.html

You can also check out www.fitday.com

say if i buy a cube steak do i barley cook it (so i get the protein intake)or can i cook it med. well. and is cube steak a lean red meat?

Either way you cook it you will still be getting the same amount of protein.

The easiest way for me to tell if its lean is by looking at it. Does it have a lot of fat marbled throughout the meat? If this is the case then it is probably not that lean, and you can trim off any fat on the sides of the meat. I find that eye of round is usually the leanest.

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by somekindahate
and is cube steak a lean red meat?

i know that the cube steak at my local butcher is cut so it is quite lean, but i do believe cube steak is pretty lean anyway.

Berserker
04-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Ya you can see the fat. Also you can just cut around it.

Shmoo
04-27-2003, 10:01 AM
Any type of boneless meat can be put through a cube machine whether it is fat or lean. Fat is very visible when cubed so most meat departments will use lean cuts of meat.
As for cooking times for cubed steaks, they are generally thinner and require a little less cooking time than your average steak.
Cooking it rare or medium won`t affect the protein, however the more you cook it the tougher it will be.

golfbobbyhill
04-28-2003, 09:50 AM
My understanding is that any cut with the word 'loin' in its name is relatively lean for red meat. I.E. sirloin.

Ironman8
04-28-2003, 05:35 PM
That's what I think too.

Shmoo
04-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
My understanding is that any cut with the word 'loin' in its name is relatively lean for red meat. I.E. sirloin.

Correct