PDA

View Full Version : HIIT with Skipping?

shwaman
04-24-2003, 11:11 AM
Just a quick question... I have been trying to get into the HIIT... has anyone experienced considerable results with skipping?

I have tried doing it with running, but currently have no track or anything nearby, and all the roads are pretty busy...
I have a skipping rope and heavy bag in my basement, I actually used to do a workout, 2 m in skip ,2 min heavy bag, for four to five rounds... didn't seem to get the results I wanted... actually lately not much is! I want to try the HIIT. and yes I am starting to track my calories on fitday.com...great site!

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 11:16 AM
HIIT IMO would work with anything like that. You could even swim if you wanted to. The important thing is that you are able to get your heart rate up high enough.

Vido
04-24-2003, 11:24 AM
The idea with HIIT is to go all-out for brief periods of time (6-15 seconds). I don't think you can really go "all-out" with activities like skipping or swimming. I'm sure those activities work better than a kick in the pants, but I can't fathom anything being as productive as sprinting.

body
04-24-2003, 11:46 AM
i break up skipping with press ups. sit ups, squat jumpes, burpes. can of thing.

not by choice, just what my class does.

Ironman8
04-24-2003, 11:56 AM
Shwaman, did you ever try HIIT on a treadmill? It's a bit dangerous, but I know I few people who had success with it.

Vido
04-24-2003, 12:01 PM
HIIT in the conventional sense does not work on the treadmill because the intervals are much too long. It takes the machine a good 10-15 seconds to get up to sprinting speed and then too long to get back down as well.

shwaman
04-24-2003, 12:11 PM
never tried on a treadmill, currently I am working out at home...so only access to skipping, biking, and running. The running I am finding tough to find a place to do the sprints, it is all busy roads around me.

IceRgrrl
04-24-2003, 12:13 PM
My strength coach has me do anaerobic intervals on the treadmill for hockey. We set the treadmill at 8-10 mph and 8-10% grade. You jump on the moving treadmill for a 30 sec. hard run, then jump off and walk around for recovery in between. The treadmill never stops, you just jump on and off.

Vido
04-24-2003, 12:21 PM
shwaman I know it would be a pain in the ass, but you could always drive to a track or a more quiet road.