PDA

View Full Version : Whole milk, friend or foe?

lilpenis
04-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Been wondering if anyone here drinks whole milk? I eat about 5 meals a day. I typically intake 3500 calories daily. I'm 6'2, 202lbs. I want to lose weight. Funny thing is, I've been eating like this for a year and I've stayed around the same weight.

My workout routine is:

day 1: bench press, dumbbell flys, deadlifts
day 2: off
day 3: squats
day 4: off
day 5: military presses, curls
day 6: off
day 7: cardio (exercise bike).

A typical meal for me is a can of tuna, 2 glasses of whole milk and a sweet. Usually once a day I'll have a protein shake. Is 3500 calories too much to intake? I try not to eat like a maniac on my days off.
Thanks for any input

Vido
04-24-2003, 04:04 PM
If you're not losing fat at 3500 cals/day try dropping it by 100 and see how that works...if you are still not seeing results, drop it another 100 and so on, until you are seeing the results you want.

I don't know what you mean by a "sweet", but I'm guessing whatever it is has no place in a cutting diet.

steveo
04-24-2003, 04:12 PM
:withstupi

If your cutting use skim milk. meal replacements with water only. No sweets! no matter how small they are everything adds up. If it goes in your mouth and down your throat you need to count on you diet.

SoulOfKoRea
04-24-2003, 04:16 PM
calorie expenditure>calorie intake = weight loss
" " + cardio = ACE

Ironman8
04-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Actually, I heard any milk should be avoided while cutting. It causes an insulin spike, which switches you metabolism burning fat to your metabolism buring carbs. Hold on, I'll do a search to confirm this.

Ironman8
04-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Here it is (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=495198#post495198)

Go all the way to the bottom.

RG570
04-24-2003, 07:54 PM
FOE!!!
FOE!!!
FOE!!!
FOE!!!
FOE!!!

lilpenis
04-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. One question, how many calories do males burn a day? (not counting any workout). I was reading iLUDEd's journal and noticed he put down "calories burned 0" for days he didnt do cardio. Shouldnt you subtract calories your body naturally burns from the result of just doing basic stuff (blinking, walking downstairs you get the idea :D)

Also, what is the approximate amount of calories a body builder burns?

Thanks for the link on the milk. I'm going to go half way and drink skim. Last time I cut out milk I lost a ton of muscle.

Vido
04-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Personally, I think skim milk is worse than whole milk. I think most of us can agree that the sugar in milk is why we shy away from it, and there is more carbs/sugar in skim milk per cup than there is in whole milk.

lilpenis, everyone burns a different number of calories per day at rest, depending on a host of factors, ie., metabolism, muscle mass, etc. A bodybuilder burns more at rest because muscle burns more calories than fat does. There are a million formulas out there for you to use if you search around, but I think you would be wise to just count calories and see progress yourself, rather than relying on some generic formula.

Manveet
04-24-2003, 08:56 PM
I think milk is good while on a bulk. Personally I drink 1%, not whole, just a personal preference. The sugar content is something to consider though, if the rest of your diet is fine in regards to sugar content, I doubt the sugar you get from milk will make a dramatic difference while on a bulk, as long as you keep your milk consumption in reason.

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by lilpenis
Thanks for the replies. One question, how many calories do males burn a day? (not counting any workout). I was reading iLUDEd's journal and noticed he put down "calories burned 0" for days he didnt do cardio. Shouldnt you subtract calories your body naturally burns from the result of just doing basic stuff (blinking, walking downstairs you get the idea :D)

Also, what is the approximate amount of calories a body builder burns?

it all depends on the person. everyone is different

ElPietro
04-25-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Vido
If you're not losing fat at 3500 cals/day try dropping it by 100 and see how that works...if you are still not seeing results, drop it another 100 and so on, until you are seeing the results you want.

I don't know what you mean by a "sweet", but I'm guessing whatever it is has no place in a cutting diet.

I would not recommend this. 100 calories you will never visually see any results, unless you take a picture and wait a year to take another. Even if you are exactly at the perfect level of calories for maintenance, if you only drop cals by 100 per day it will take you 5 whole weeks to drop a single pound. That really doesn't seem to be very ideal considering you can safely lose much more weight and still retain virtually all your muscle mass. 100 cals is too insignificant a drop given your current size. I'd say at least 400-500 cals per day dropped.

ElPietro
04-25-2003, 07:25 AM
Oh and it's difficult to recommend an exact caloric rate without knowing your level of bodyfat. But I personally believe that at 202lbs you could go down to 2500 cals, which is a much more significant drop, but if you feel more comfortable, maybe go to 2800, I think 3500 is too high if you are trying to drop weight, unless you are increasing cardio sessions to burn cals.

Relentless
04-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Elpietro is right.

drop to 3000 cals for a couple weeks and observe the results.

I weigh a few pounds more than you and I'm currently cutting on about 2400-2600 cals a day, ketogenic-style

(I've lost 22 lbs since I started, 7 weeks ago).

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 09:50 AM
Well,at 202Ibs., I think you can lose weight pretty easily without reducing calories too drastically. I think when you drop down to 190 is when you should start experimenting with your calories.

bradley
04-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I think when you drop down to 190 is when you should start experimenting with your calories.

Why is this?

bradley
04-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Callahan
drop to 3000 cals for a couple weeks and observe the results.

I agree, but just remember not to drop cals too quickly and increase cardio at the same time, which can be a formula for muscle loss. Create a moderate caloric deficit through diet and/or cardio.

I also would not put much stock in the calorie counters on cardio equipment. When I use the ellipticle trainer is says that I burn somewhere around 1000 cals after 45 minutes. I find that hard to believe.

SoulOfKoRea
04-25-2003, 02:00 PM
~18 Cals per pound of body weight for a male for active males

lilpenis
04-25-2003, 03:46 PM
how many calories to situps burn?

bradley
04-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
~18 Cals per pound of body weight for a male for active males

Generic formulas to figure out daily calorie intake are a rough estimate at best. I recommend tracking your cals each week and making subtle changes to calorie intake each week and see how your body responds to the different calorie intake. For example if you are trying to gain weight and your current calorie intake is 3000 cals and you are not gaining, then the next week you should increase cals by 200 or 300. At the end of the week weigh yourself and see if you have gained. If so, stay at this calorie level, if not increase cals again.

bradley
04-25-2003, 04:38 PM
how many calories to situps burn?

Not enough to worry about:) Trying to figure out how many cals you burn through various activities will be different for different people.

Again make small changes in either your diet and cardio each week and see how your body responds. Think of it as an equation with 2 variables (cardio and diet). Only change one at a time.

Vido
04-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro

I would not recommend this. 100 calories you will never visually see any results, unless you take a picture and wait a year to take another. Even if you are exactly at the perfect level of calories for maintenance, if you only drop cals by 100 per day it will take you 5 whole weeks to drop a single pound. That really doesn't seem to be very ideal considering you can safely lose much more weight and still retain virtually all your muscle mass. 100 cals is too insignificant a drop given your current size. I'd say at least 400-500 cals per day dropped.

I'd like to see someone cut 3500 calories a week out of their diet and retain all (or close to all) of their muscle mass...not gonna happen. I'm not quoting some BS article out of a musclemag or something. I've done only 4 major "proper" cuts in my life. The first three resembled the advice you are giving and I always ended up losing a lot of weight...both good fat and muscle. The ONLY one that was successful was the one where I dropped the cals extremely slowly...I lost absolutely no muscle. Sure, maybe it took a little bit longer, but why be in a rush to lose weight when all your hard-earned muscle is just going down the drain?

Also, not only will it work more effectively, but we can all agree that the worst part of cutting is the lack of food we get to eat. Try dropping 500 cals a day right off the bat and see if the hunger pangs don't drive you insane. Now try dropping 100 cals a day and you will barely notice a difference.

ElP you want results overnight...go get cosmetic surgery.

lilpenis
04-25-2003, 06:19 PM
I started cutting back today. The hunger pains are killing me. Breakfeast was an egg with cereal. Lunch was a can of tuna. Mid day snack was a steak-um. Dinner was a small bowl of meat and potatoes. I think what I need to do is drop calories slowly and cut out the sweets. I'm also upping my cardio.

I'm not fat...or even chubby really. My stomach and love handles seem to be where all the fat is :confused:

Before I started lifting, I was a string bean (160lbs). I just started eating (too much I guess) of the wrong foods

Vido
04-25-2003, 08:42 PM
I started cutting back today. The hunger pains are killing me.

*This would never happen if you dropped cals slowly.*

I'm also upping my cardio.

*Bad move. You're already dropping cals, throwing cardio into the mix is a surefire way to lose size...do one or the other. Personally, I prefer to do cardio and then just eat more, but you can also drop cals until you don't want to go any lower, and then throw in cardio to keep the fat loss going.*

I'm not fat...or even chubby really. My stomach and love handles seem to be where all the fat is :confused:

*Males store most of their fat in these areas. You're experiencing the same thing everyone else is. Don't sweat it.*

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 10:36 PM
I started cutting back today. The hunger pains are killing me. Breakfeast was an egg with cereal. Lunch was a can of tuna. Mid day snack was a steak-um. Dinner was a small bowl of meat and potatoes. I think what I need to do is drop calories slowly and cut out the sweets. I'm also upping my cardio.

That sounds really low calorized!

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Why is this?

Well, I was thinking that it is easier to burn fat when you weigh around 200Ibs., and it's harder when your around 190Ibs. But, I thought about and I think it doesn't really make sense :p

bradley
04-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Small changes not drastic changes will be the most beneficial as everyone has pointed out. Sounds as though you are trying to do too much in too short of a time period. Take it slow. It took a while to gain the weight so give yourself some time to lose it the right way. Best of luck:)

lilpenis
04-26-2003, 02:18 PM
thanks bradley. I started eating a little more. I played 2 sets of tennis today. For you smart a$$es, no I do not sit at the net and volley :D. I'm quite good actually :hump: Well...was good.

when I used to play 5 times a week, I could literally eat ANYTHING and stay 160lbs.

Question. Is it bad to have 2 cups of pepsi??? I usually do it once a day

bradley
04-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Question. Is it bad to have 2 cups of pepsi??? I usually do it once a day

I would stay away from the Pepsi if you are trying to lose weight. Soda is just empty calories that will nothing but hinder your weight loss goals. Save the Pepsi for a cheat meal, or just adjust to drinking diet.

Ironman8
04-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, if you're cutting, it would be wise to cut out the soda for a while.