PDA

View Full Version : New in training, need diet help

Onmyway
04-24-2003, 10:45 PM
I am 19 and just getting into a workout program. I go four times a week and have a plan already written out. I was wondering what I should or should not eat for a diet. I would like to get big but don't want to be on a extremly tight diet. I just want some guidlines to follow. Right now I take a protien shake in the morning, afternoon and after workout and have been eating a lot of protien (chicken, turkey...). What else should I eat and how often? Thanks.

Ironman8
04-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Well, if you just want the foods, here iswhat people on this board usually buy at the grocery store

Grocery list (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list)

Also, try to get some healthy fats in your diet. Like fish oil or flax supplements. Also, peanuts, natural PB, olive oil, avocados, etc.

bradley
04-25-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Onmyway
I am 19 and just getting into a workout program. I go four times a week and have a plan already written out. I was wondering what I should or should not eat for a diet. I would like to get big but don't want to be on a extremly tight diet. I just want some guidlines to follow. Right now I take a protien shake in the morning, afternoon and after workout and have been eating a lot of protien (chicken, turkey...). What else should I eat and how often? Thanks.

I would recommend getting 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight.

Make sure to get adequate amounts of healthy fats in your diet like Ironman8 mentioned. Some good sources would be fish oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, flax oil, etc.

Fill in the rest of your daily calories with carbs preferably from low GI sources like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, beans, ww bread, veggies, etc.

Spread your total daily calories out over the course of 5-6 small meals a day, eating about every 2-3 hours. As far as amount of calories that you should be eating, I would just increase calories in small increments each week until you are gaining approx. .5-1lb. per week. Save the protein shake for postworkout along with some simple carbs like dextrose. I try and get most of my protein in the form of whole foods but shakes are fine if you have trouble doing this.

GhettoSmurf
04-25-2003, 05:47 AM
there have also been many threads about diets. try searching as well. the search is a powerful tool

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Also, you can track your calories at fitday.com.