PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Perfect My Diet

Don Birnam
04-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Hi There,

OK, I'm putting the finishing touches on my diet. I've finally found a bunch of things that I can stand to eat every day. :)

So far I've got this in it:

-1 bowl of cereal /w milk, 1 scoop protein /w milk, and 1 sandwich /w 2 eggs + ~20 g cheddar cheese on it.

-2 scoops Mammoth weight gainer /w milk.

-2 tuna sandwiches /w mayo.

-2 scoops Mammoth weight gainer /w milk.

-1 can Brown Beans.

This totals 3070 calories, 174 g protein, 390 g carbohydrates, and 92 g fat.

I'm 6'7" and approximately 200 pounds. I've been told I should be eating 3500 calories per day with 200 g protein because I want to increase muscle mass as much as possible. Would you agree with these numbers for me? Can you offer any other suggestions regarding my diet?

Evidently I am 430 calories and 26 g protein short of my goals. Can any of you recommend a food item with something close to these values, that I can add to bring my diet up to 3500 cals/200 g? I don't care if it tastes good, but hopefully it will be easy to prepare and not too expensive! I am a student after all. ;)

Hey, thanks a million!

-Don

Relentless
04-25-2003, 01:56 PM
a cup of cottage cheese would give you those 26g of protein and about half of the calories you're looking for. it's cheap and easy.

to add the remaining calories, you might add a tbsp of mayo to your morning sandwich and your tuna sandwiches

IMHO you have too many carbs in general and not enough fats (especially QUALITY fats) but in general I wouldn't worry about a specific target # calories initially... have a goal in mind and shoot for it, then adjust as you observe changes in your body

you're also getting and awful lot of your cals from whey... whey is nice but 'real' food is good for you! Eat some meat and veggies!

Manveet
04-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Get some quality carbs in your diet, rice, yams etc.

I would ditch the cheese and the bread in the first meal and go wtih plain old oats and eggs.

Get rid of the weight gainer in the fourth meal. Get some chicken, turkey, or extra lean beef in your diet.

Cottage cheese would be a good last meal.

Don Birnam
04-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the advice... I get ~1400 calories per day from protein powder and weight gainer. Too much?

Much of my diet I chose for its convenience. None of these meals takes more than 3 minutes to prepare. Consequently they're not necessarily the greatest choices sometimes!

Do you think I should add flaxseed oil to get some 'quality' fats? How would I cut down carbs?

Do you guys know of a good preparation for 'oats and eggs'?

Thanks!

-Don

Relentless
04-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Don Birnam

Boil the former in water until soft and edible.
Place the latter in a heated pan until it is no longer liquid.

No need to do anything fancy.

Relentless
04-25-2003, 03:19 PM
as far as meal prep for other meals

I am a decent cook but I'm lazy

buy an electric vegetable steamer ($30 or so at Canadian Tire)
and if you don't have one, a decent cast-iron frying pan

a decent, healthy meal can consist of your veggie du jour cut up and placed in the steamer (3-4 mins work, 12-18 mins wait for the steam to do its work), and while the veggies are steaming, throw the frypan on the element, toss a bit of salt in there and heat it until it starts to smoke slightly, then throw in your meat du jour (chicken, beef, lamb, etc.) and cook it... 5 minutes per side or more as needed and you'll be done by the time your veggies are done steaming

bradley
04-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Don Birnam
Thanks for the advice... I get ~1400 calories per day from protein powder and weight gainer. Too much?
Do you think I should add flaxseed oil to get some 'quality' fats? How would I cut down carbs?

Thanks!

-Don

If at all possible I would get rid of the weight gainer except maybe postworkout, the main reason being that is just a bunch of sugar. Instead of that weight gainer what about some ww bread and natural pb along with a glass of milk. That would give you some of each macronutrient and it is also easy to prepare.

I always boil up a bunch of eggs so that I only have to do it once every 2 days or so, and I just throw my oats in a bowl, add water, and microwave until they are thick.

If you are going to supplement with an oil, which is a good idea IMO, I would go with fish oil over flax oil. Olive oil, nuts, and natural peanut butter are also good sources of healthy fats. Cut out the weight gainer and replace with whole food to get rid of some of your carbs.

bradley
04-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Another easy way to cook your meats would be to invest in something like a George Foreman grill.

I agree with Manveet and Callahan getting more cals from lean meats and low GI carbs. Stick to things like eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy products, eggs, etc. Some good carbs choices would be sweet potatoes, oats, beans, veggies, ww bread, etc.

STM
04-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Get a crockpot. I bought one last week (6quart I think), and it is absolutely the best thing for someone with no time (lazy). Yesterday was chicken teriyaki.

10 breasts
bottle of teriyaki sauce
2 cans of pineapples bits (drained)

dump it all in (FROZEN BREAST TOO!), and put it on for 6-8hrs on low.

Ready when you get home, yum!

Ironman8
04-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Also, adding to the good low GI carb sources Bradley stated, I would add some brown rice. It doesn't get converted into glucose as fast as white rice.