PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower oil

Reinier
04-26-2003, 07:48 AM
isn`t that like some really good really overlooked stuff?

mine says
100 g
fat 100 g
sat fat 12 g
monounsat fat 24 g
poly unsat fat 64 g

bradley
04-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Too much polyunsaturated fat IMO. Most people get plenty of omega 6 fats in their diet and supplementing with more would only increase the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3's.

04-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Too much polyunsaturated fat IMO. Most people get plenty of omega 6 fats in their diet and supplementing with more would only increase the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3's.

You sure about that Bradley?
It's my understanding that omega 3's is in the polyunsaturated. I know omega 3 is certainly not in the monounsaturated or saturated, so that only leaves poly left.

I'd find a reference to be sure but I gotta leave right now. I'm sure someone else will clarify.

Ironman8
04-26-2003, 10:02 AM
IMO, too much is a bad thing.

bradley
04-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Avatar

You sure about that Bradley?
It's my understanding that omega 3's is in the polyunsaturated. I know omega 3 is certainly not in the monounsaturated or saturated, so that only leaves poly left.

This was taken from the following article:http://www.mercola.com/2002/apr/6/fats.htm

Generally our diet contains far to much omega 6 fats. Experts looking at the dietary ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids suggest that in early human history the ratio was about 1:1. Currently most Americans eat a dietary ratio that falls between 20:1 and 50:1. The optimal ratio is most likely closer to the original ratio of 1:1. For most of us this means greatly reducing the omega-6 fatty acids we consume and increasing the amount of omega-3 fatty acids.

Please recognize that we get ALL the omega-6 and omega-9 fat we need from food. We do NOT need to take any supplements for these fats. Many of the omega fat supplements you see in health food stores will only serve to worsen your health, not improve it as they contain omega 6 fats which will worsen your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.

I strongly recommend avoiding sunflower, corn, soy, safflower, canola, or products that contain these oils. That is no hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats, no margarine, no vegetable oil, no shortening. These oils are chock full of omega-6 fats and will only worsen your omega 6:omega 3 ratio.

Acceptable oils will be a high quality extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados, and organic butter, or better yet grass-fed organic butter.

bradley
04-26-2003, 02:02 PM
I also wanted to add that you are right in that polyunsaturated fat contains the beneficial omega 3 fats so what I should have said is to stick to the polyunsaturated fats that contain omega 3's like flax oil and fish oil. With that being said sunflower oil would still contain mostly omega 6 fats which most people get plenty of in their diet.

bradley
04-26-2003, 02:16 PM
To those that might be interested this site provides a lot of good info on the different types of dietary fat. http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-fat.htm

LAM
04-26-2003, 09:09 PM
you want more monosaturated then polyunsaturated fats.

stick w/ flax, olive oil and you can also use high oleic safflower oil.

Reinier
04-27-2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks. I do use olive oil most the time actually