PDA

View Full Version : leptin realted qs

mic79
04-27-2003, 08:13 AM
can someone tell me why a bodybuilder who wants 2 loose the last lbs of body fat wouldnt benefit from just sticking with a daily consuption of moderate carbs as opposed to the weekly reefeeds to raise leptin?with sufficient protein and efas of course im thinkin of using this strategy to get down to 8% from 12% bf.thaughts appreciated.

Scythian_Blade
04-27-2003, 10:05 AM
My reasoning is probably way too simple, but I will take a stab at explaining it.

For a refeed to significantly increase leptin levels, you need it to be at maintenance kcals for several days or well above maintenance kcals for one day at a time(or something equivalent). In your example, you are not addressing the fact that you need to increase kcals to effect leptin levels. Just using more carbohydrates and keeping kcals below maintenance won't be as effective. People running 40/40/20 cutting diets and the like still run into the same problems when they get to ultra low bodyfats (or even just below setpoint level).

Since insulin is anabolic but also lipogenic, consuming moderate carbs would raise baseline insulin levels, which is not always a good thing when trying to reduce bodyfat.

A refeed accomplishes more than meets the eye. As often noted, it is a way of optimizing the insulin/glucagon hormonal balance, keeping insulin levels level at most times, but highest at refeeds. Refeeds are a good way to replenish muscle glycogen stores.

Leptin is believed to influence a host of hormones in the body, some directly and some indirectly. Boosting leptin through refeeds will help boost GH production, positively influence IGF-1, and increase your levels of free Testosterone. I am just not sure how you can accomplish all these things with the hypothetical scenario you posted using moderate carb consumption.

Ironman8
04-27-2003, 10:53 AM
I have a question. Is it true you keep fat low at refeed so it won't go directly into your bloodstream and into your fat cells, therefore increasing BF%?

AJ_11
04-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Leptin levels drop as soon as you start dieting. No matter what kind of macronutrient breakdown your follow. Insulin plays a major role in boosting your levels but they won't get back to absolutely normal untill several weeks post dieting.

AJ_11
04-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I have a question. Is it true you keep fat low at refeed so it won't go directly into your bloodstream and into your fat cells, therefore increasing BF%?

Keeping fat low on a refeed is up to you. I have heard pple on both sides of the fence on this one.

On a refeed you want some spillover to fat, greater chance that it will boost leptin levels. Especially if it is some EFA, they will be stored rather than used for energy.

But I always keeps fat low in order to get more carbs in. My usual refeeds are about 4000 kcals. I also try to get between 6-800grams of carbs in.

mic79
04-27-2003, 11:02 AM
that made alot of sense bro.anywho i was thinkin that i could maybe benefit by having 3 huge reefeeds and coming onto the moderate varb diet having all be it sacrificing some fat gain during the 3 day reefeed to increae leptin condsiderably .i really do believe i could get the fat burnin furnace reignited again 4 a longer period of time.i know insulin is lipogenic but i was thinkin the leptin levels that would b more steady long term would counter this.also i do hiit 6 days a week.hell it gets to complicated and there r too many factors that come into play.....i think ill try this for a month.i need to have a rest now this is too much 4 my little brain.