PDA

View Full Version : Proper warm-up for HIIT?

DannyOcean
04-27-2003, 10:11 AM
I'm wondering what others do to warm-up for a HIIT session (specifically a sprinting session). Since HIIT is most effective first thing and the morning and muscles are usually stiffest first thing in the morning, I'm a bit concerned about injuring myself. I'm following the routine here (http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp) but it only includes a 30-second interval of jogging before sprinting all out. Is it safe to say that a 10-15 minute session of light jogging and stretching should probably precede training? Could such a warm-up lessen the effectiveness of HIIT in any way (it wouldn't seem like it would but I could be missing something)?

Vido
04-27-2003, 11:36 AM
First of all, one of the main reasons for HIIT is to AVOID doing morning cardio because it is so catabolic.

As for a warm-up I do think something more than the first 30-second jogging interval is needed, but 10-15 minutes also defeats the purpose of HIIT, which is to boost the metabolism in the shortest amount of time. I jog for 3-5 minutes before I start my sprints, and then stretch AFTER the session.

Ironman8
04-27-2003, 11:40 AM
Jogging sounds fine for a warm-up, but as Vido said, don't do it too long.

DannyOcean
04-27-2003, 11:43 AM
This is new for me. You shouldn't do HIIT first thing in the morning? That's fine by me since I'm not really a morning person but I thought that one of the reasons why HIIT was so effective is that it raises your metabolic rate throughout the day. If you were to do HIIT in the evening it would seem to me that you would lose that benefit.

I've been reading the Absolution book by the Body For Life folks and have generally been impressed with the quality of their material. They recommend during HIIT first thing in the morning too. So now I'm a bit confused. Can anyone point out any scientific research that might backup this information?

Vido
04-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Your body doesn't shut off when you go to sleep. If HIIT raises your metabolism for x hours, it will do so no matter if you do it first thing in the morning or right before bed.

DannyOcean
04-27-2003, 11:55 AM
OK, that makes sense. But I still don't see why it shouldn't be done first thing in the morning. It seems to me that it would actually be more catabolic if done in the evening since you wouldn't be putting as much food in your body after training (since you would be sleeping). I'll admit that I'm a newbie when it comes to things like this so I'm looking for enlightenment. :)

Vido
04-27-2003, 12:01 PM
It's not so much what you put in your stomach after the session, it is what is already in there beforehand. When you first wake up when was the last time you ate? 8 hours ago? 10 hours ago? 12 hours ago? The first thing your body needs in the morning is some food, not an intense cardio or lifting session.

I never suggested doing HIIT right before bed, but there is certainly nothing wrong with doing so, providing it doesn't keep you up all night. If you choose to do this, then do your session, have something to eat, and hit the sack. I would always make sure you get at least one meal in after the cardio, or you would get into the problem of it being quite catabolic yet again.