PDA

View Full Version : raisins

pagan058
04-28-2003, 10:13 AM
I was wonderin if raisins are a good source of carbohydrates.....

bradley
04-28-2003, 10:24 AM
Well they do contain a lot of sugar per serving and are high on the GI. I personally stick to low GI carbs at times other than postworkout.

http://www.calvin.biochem.usyd.edu.au/GIDB/FMPro?-DB=GIDB2.fp5&-lay=TableView&-Format=referenceD3.htm&FoodID=F0686&-Find

pagan058
04-28-2003, 10:43 AM
thanx brotha

pagan058
04-28-2003, 10:43 AM
u mind givin me some examples

pagan058
04-28-2003, 10:44 AM
of low GI carbs....that are quick and easy to eat on the run

bradley
04-28-2003, 11:07 AM
Actually after looking at it again raisins would be considered moderate GI food, but still they contain a lot of sugar. The GI does not come into play as much if you are eating other foods along with it. For example white bread is a high GI food, but if you have a peanut butter (or in your case pb and cottage cheese:)) the GI will be lower due to the fat in the peanut butter slowing the digestion of the bread.

Whenever I am on the run I usually find that making a sandwich or carrying something like peanuts makes a great snack. The occasional apple or orange would also be a good choice IMO.

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 11:08 AM
-oatmeal (just add hot water, or you can add them to a MRP)
-whole-wheat bread (make a sandwhich)

-apples, pears, oranges, if you dont mind the sugar from them

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
for an MRP that i usually make that i bring to school try putting:
1 Cup Oatmeal (raw oats)
1 Scoop Whey
2 Cups Water (or milk)
all in a blender and blend them together, and put it in a bottle and you can drink it.

i also usually add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in the mix as well.

bradley
04-28-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
for an MRP that i usually make that i bring to school try putting:
1 Cup Oatmeal (raw oats)
1 Scoop Whey
2 Cups Water (or milk)
all in a blender and blend them together, and put it in a bottle and you can drink it.

i also usually add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in the mix as well.

Flax oil is very sensitive to heat and light and you might be better off throwing in some pb or switching over to fish oil caps.

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Flax oil is very sensitive to heat and light and you might be better off throwing in some pb or switching over to fish oil caps.

yeah, but do you think they flax oil will be ok if i keep the MRP out of the sun and in a cooler? :confused:

bradley
04-28-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

yeah, but do you think they flax oil will be ok if i keep the MRP out of the sun and in a cooler? :confused:

Well exposure to light, heat, and oxygen can cause flax seed oil to go rancid. Although I am not sure how long this process takes, but then again why not just switch to an alternate fat source?

Scythian_Blade
04-28-2003, 02:27 PM
If you like grapes, I think they would be considered more thermogenic than raisins. Also, check the package on raisins. Some brands specifically sugar coat them (with sucrose I bet).

One good thing to consider when choosing fruit sources is the nutrient content. For health purposes, you might as well shoot for fruits that have the highest antioxidant benefits per gram of carbohydrate(whatever type of sugar it is). Berries (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries etc) are a great choice for this. All fruits obviously don't have the same antioxidant powers.

Also, look for fruits with a higher fiber content. This will lower GI also. Incidentally these are often good fruits to combine with fat sources. Peanut butter + an apple is a great snack for instance, whereas and orange + peanut butter would not be as good of a choice from a standpoint of thermogenic benefits.

MrWebb78
04-28-2003, 02:31 PM
oh for christs sake just eat some god damn raisins if you like them! they are fruit and have fiber and are yummy, quit being a god damn scientist about everything and eat! eat eat eat eat eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry.

Ironman8
04-28-2003, 05:20 PM
You should get in some high GI carbs after your workout. So, I guess raisins would be a good post-workout food.

bradley
04-29-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
You should get in some high GI carbs after your workout. So, I guess raisins would be a good post-workout food.

Well actually raisins have a GI of approx. 65 so I would try and find something with a higher GI.

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks.