PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Meat

SoulOfKoRea
04-28-2003, 06:01 PM
What is a good choice of sandwich meat on a cut?

I just bought a lb. of Boar's Head Roasted Turkey Breast from Publix (from the deli not the packaged kind) thinly sliced for some lunch meat since I'm getting enough natty peanut butter for breakfast and before bed meals, was this a good choice? I'd like to take it as my lunch because I've been eating 3 natty peanut butter sandwiches a day for the past 2 weeks :mad:

Berserker
04-28-2003, 06:59 PM
I like Carl Buddig lunch meats. I eat them as snack by themselves. There about 14g of protein a pack and not much fat.

GhettoSmurf
04-28-2003, 07:39 PM
i usually use real chicken breats (cooked in advance) or butterball over-roasted chicken slices

Ironman8
04-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Ya, chicken breasts are good, as well as packaged turkey.

bradley
04-29-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
What is a good choice of sandwich meat on a cut?

I just bought a lb. of Boar's Head Roasted Turkey Breast from Publix (from the deli not the packaged kind) thinly sliced for some lunch meat since I'm getting enough natty peanut butter for breakfast and before bed meals, was this a good choice? I'd like to take it as my lunch because I've been eating 3 natty peanut butter sandwiches a day for the past 2 weeks :mad:

The only reason I shy away from using lunch meat is the fact that it contains a lot of sodium. Whenever possible I look for the low sodium versions if I am forced to eat lunch meat. The Boar's Head brand is mighty tasty though:)

Some deli meets have added sugar which you might want to be aware of.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by bradley

The only reason I shy away from using lunch meat is the fact that it contains a lot of sodium.

i agree, also some brands have a lot of things added to the meat, and usually the meat is processed to hell and back. but i usually have a pack in the fridge in case of an "emergency" and i need some meat with my sandwich

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:06 AM
I try to look for low/no sodium added lunchmeats. Does anyone know a good brand?

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:47 AM
i cant think of any. what i do when i need to use the lunch meat is i usually run the meat under the sink a bit to try to wash some of the sodium off. just an idea, not really sure if it helps much.

Vido
04-29-2003, 12:38 PM
To answer the original question, there really is no type of sandwich meat that is good on a cut due to the enormous amounts of sodium found in most of them. Plus, a sandwich implies bread, which also isn't the greatest cutting food.

If you were going to have a sandwich, I'd say make it a chicken breast or turkey sandwich (real meat though) on some type of low GI bread.

Relentless
04-29-2003, 12:41 PM
get some tupperware and take tuna & mayo with some salad greens for your lunch instead of sandwiches!

Berserker
04-29-2003, 01:24 PM
I don't think its awful to have bread on a cut. Unless doing a form of low carbs, ckd, tkd ect..

Vido
04-29-2003, 01:30 PM
I didn't say it was awful, I just said it wasn't the greatest given other alternatives, ie. oats and yams.

Berserker
04-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Nothing like a cold bowl of oats for lunch. Yams not much better.
Sandwhichs are a nice meal you can eat with no prepartion. Millions of lunchboxs are filled ever morning with them.

SoulOfKoRea
04-29-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
Sandwhichs are a nice meal you can eat with no prepartion. Millions of lunchboxs are filled ever morning with them.

I think I've outgrown my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox :p

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 04:37 PM

i usually bring oatmeal to school with me for lunch... i even brought a yam once... :(

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
what i do when i need to use the lunch meat is i usually run the meat under the sink a bit to try to wash some of the sodium off. just an idea, not really sure if it helps much.

I think I'll try that, but I doubt it would cut down the sodium alot. But, it'll make me feel better :D

Vido
04-29-2003, 05:27 PM

Millions of people don't lift weights either. Your point is...

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:08 PM

its called dedication :D

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Cold oats? I think I would throw up if I eat that.

Vido
04-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Cold oats taste absolutely fine. Would I rather have a donut? Yes. Would I rather have a pizza? Yes. Would I rather have an ice cream sundae? Yes. Ghettosmurf's right...it's called dedication and discipline.

Ironman8
04-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Ya, I guess. But what's wrong with donuts and pizza? Everything is fine in moderation :D

IceRgrrl
04-30-2003, 07:26 AM
Look for low sodium/minimally processed sandwhich meats. My local market has a Just Roast Beef and Just Plain Turkey line of deli meats that is just roasted/sliced beef and turkey w/o seasonings, sodium, or other processors.

There's nothing wrong with having a sandwich. Unless you're a pro preparing for competition, subsisting totally on a short list of "perfect" foods is a bit excessive. Good food is one of life's pleasures and you CAN eat healthy/clean with lots of variety/moderation.

If you're cutting, just make sure you are taking in cals under maintenance, and fit whatever you are eating into your chosen cal/macronutrient ratios. If you're on some kind of keto diet, that's a whole 'nother situation....

sweet-physique
04-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
Look for low sodium/minimally processed sandwhich meats. My local market has a Just Roast Beef and Just Plain Turkey line of deli meats that is just roasted/sliced beef and turkey w/o seasonings, sodium, or other processors.

There's nothing wrong with having a sandwich. Unless you're a pro preparing for competition, subsisting totally on a short list of "perfect" foods is a bit excessive. Good food is one of life's pleasures and you CAN eat healthy/clean with lots of variety/moderation.

If you're cutting, just make sure you are taking in cals under maintenance, and fit whatever you are eating into your chosen cal/macronutrient ratios. If you're on some kind of keto diet, that's a whole 'nother situation....

:withstupi

I don't even think the sodium is that big a deal unless you're preping for a show or something. Some lean deli turkey breast is a great protein source, granted the deli version will have some extra sodium and preservative. I think the pros far outweight the cons for deli turkey breast IMO.

Berserker
04-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Vido

Millions of people don't lift weights either. Your point is...
Some people that work don't have access to a micorwave. I've ate 100s of meals out of a lunch pail. If you want to eat cold oats feel free. I don't think a couple of slices of bread will kill you or even make a difference.
Its one thing to be dedicated its another to delibrately suffer to show how dedicated you are.

Berserker
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM

I think I've outgrown my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunchbox :p
When you get older you might find a lunch pail in your hands.

SoulOfKoRea
04-30-2003, 03:53 PM

When you get older you might find a lunch pail in your hands.

well my brown paper bags work just fine, until they get crushed underneath my books :cry:

MrWebb78
04-30-2003, 03:57 PM
tuna, eggs, or roast beef are my 3 favorite sammiches.

Ironman8
04-30-2003, 05:42 PM

well my brown paper bags work just fine, until they get crushed underneath my books :cry:

LOL! I know what you mean, my food always gets crushed in my locker.

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 05:35 AM
i have that problem 2! ive been eating some really odd-shaped sandwiches at lunch :rolleyes:

chachi
05-01-2003, 03:02 PM
i know that boars head makes a skinless low sodium turkey breast. its not bad at all. but if you're worried about sodium intake just boil chicken instead.

if you have a food warehouse membership go and buy a 10lb bag of chicken breast, skinless.
the also gotum in smaller cutlet size.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Nah, boiling them would take too much time up. I want my sammiches quick :D

bradley
05-02-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Nah, boiling them would take too much time up. I want my sammiches quick :D

You can always boil the chicken a couple of days early and keep it in the fridge:)