PDA

View Full Version : Help me With my Diet

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 01:43 AM
I am currently trying to lower my BF%

I exercise daily and work out at least 5 days a week. I average burning about 600-800 calories a day while at the gym between cardio and lifting.

My diet is usually like this

8:00 am Breakfast

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup Special K, Wheaties, or Cheerios Cereal
3 cups milk
1 banana

12:00 pm Snack @ School

1 Nutri Grain Bar
Diet Coke

(I work Tues and Thurs and at work I might have a chicken salad sandwich or a slim fast shake)

4:00 pm

Peanut butter sandwich or a few slices of turkey. Some small snack

5:00pm-7:00pm At the Gym

8:00 pm Dinner

1 can tuna or 1 boca burger or some grilled chicken breast
Sometimes a baked potato and almost always some steamed veggies.

I usually total between 1400-1800 calories per day
The breakdown is usually

50% Carbs

30% Protein

20% Fat

somtimes slighty more carbs and less fat.

I need help cuz I am staying exactly the same and I want to knock off a couple inches to reveil the 6 pack.

Please suggest some more low carb high protein foods

-peace-

bradley
04-29-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
8:00 am Breakfast

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup Special K, Wheaties, or Cheerios Cereal
3 cups milk
1 banana

I would stick with the oatmeal and maybe add a lean protein source like a couple of whole eggs and/or egg whites. That is a lot of carbs in one meal IMO.

12:00 pm Snack @ School

1 Nutri Grain Bar
Diet Coke

You need some protein in this meal along with some healthy fats. You already have a 4 hour gap between your meals which is pretty large (I would recommend eating every 2-3 hours), so you need to get some nutrients into your body. Try having a sandwich of some sort. Maybe tuna with a little mayo or natural pb on ww bread.

Are you drinking a post workout shake or having a post workout meal of some sort? If not I would recommend having some high GI carbs along with some fast digesting protein.

Your evening meal looks good IMO, although you might switch out the baked potato for a sweet potato which is a lower GI carb. Also make sure that you are getting some healthy fats in your diet and ample protein (1g per lb. of bw).

I would say that 1800 cals is the lowest amount that you should be eating right now with the amount of exercise that you do.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 04:43 AM
more oat meal instead of cereal in meal 1, more protein/less milk in meal 1, more protein for the snack at school.

training for 2 hours? thats quite a bit. maybe you should think of cutting that down a bit.

along with what bradley said i think 1800 is the LOWEST you should go calorie-wise

bradley
04-29-2003, 05:42 AM
Please suggest some more low carb high protein foods

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16653&highlight=grocery+list
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368&highlight=grocery+list

The above threads should help give you an idea of some foods that would help add a little variety to your diet.

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
more oat meal instead of cereal in meal 1, more protein/less milk in meal 1, more protein for the snack at school.

training for 2 hours? thats quite a bit. maybe you should think of cutting that down a bit.

along with what bradley said i think 1800 is the LOWEST you should go calorie-wise

the two hours is including bball or running

-peace-

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:02 AM
Why are you only eating 1800 cals?

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Why are you only eating 1800 cals?

1800 is quite low IMO, i think you will end up losing weight/muscle way too fast

bradley
04-29-2003, 08:33 AM

1800 is quite low IMO, i think you will end up losing weight/muscle way too fast

Calorie intake would depend on weight, metabolism, activity level, etc. He weighs in at approx. 154 according to his sig, so if he is trying to cut 1800 might be the right amount. As long as you are not losing weight too fast (approximately a pound a week) then that calorie intake is fine. Although I wouldn't go lower than that.

I will also say at 154lbs. you can't have that much to lose. No point in cutting down to nothing just to see a six pack IMO.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 08:38 AM
yes, but he also said he trained for 2 hours, which sometimes also included running, or bball. so i was jusst trying to take some of that into consideration

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 10:34 AM

I've been consuming this amount since I began training in January and have actually gained 4 pounds.

I'm not losing any weight. I don't want to lose weight. I want to lose inches.

-peace-

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Calorie intake would depend on weight, metabolism, activity level, etc. He weighs in at approx. 154 according to his sig, so if he is trying to cut 1800 might be the right amount. As long as you are not losing weight too fast (approximately a pound a week) then that calorie intake is fine. Although I wouldn't go lower than that.

I will also say at 154lbs. you can't have that much to lose. No point in cutting down to nothing just to see a six pack IMO.

I have already put on quite a bit of muscle and I will bulk up again somewhere toward the end of summer. But I'm going to be on the beach a lot and at the pool so my #1 goal now is to be cut.

I actually weight 158 now and my waist is about 31.5-32 inches.

I would like it to be 29 or 30

My chest is 41 inches and my arms are 13.75

So I am certainly not big, but I am growing steadily(sort of) and I'd like to have about 6-8% body fat.

Eventually I will bulk and probably put on some more weight but this isn't the time. I want to prove to myself that I can have a carved up frame.

-peace-

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 10:54 AM
yes, but he also said he trained for 2 hours, which sometimes also included running, or bball. so i was jusst trying to take some of that into consideration

Basically my schedule looks like this

Sunday: Chest/Abs Day

4:00pm-5:00 - Pick-up BBall games

5:00-600 - Weight lifting(chest&abs)

Mon: Bball League Game Day

8:00-9:00 - League BBall Game

Tues: Bicep/Abs Day

Classes: 10:30am-3:45

4:30-5:30 - Shoot bball or do 20 min on elipical machine

5:30-6:30 - Weight Lifting(Biceps&Abs)

Hump Day: Light Chest/legs Day

Work(Finish Line) 10:00am-3:00

4:00-5:00 - Pick up Bball or 20 min eliptical or sometimes no cardio

5:00-6:00 - Weight Lifting(Light Chest/Legs)

Thursday: Tricep/Abs Day

Classes: 10:30am-3:45

4:30-5:30 - Pick up Bball or 20 min eliptical

5:30-6:30 - Weight Lifting(Triceps/Abs

Friday: Back/Legs Day

Work(Finish Line) - 10:00-3:00(somtimes a little shorter or longer)

4:00-5:00 - Pick up Bball or 20 min eliptical or sometimes no cardio

5:00-6:30 - Weight Lifting(Back/legs)

*Usually have 4-8 beers that night after Protein in taken in*

Saturday: Off Day

Relax.....

Sometimes go play bball if the hangover isn't bad.

So there it is. Now of course I mess my schedule up sometimes and sometimes I'll have more than one off day or more than one drinking night.....

I know it looks like I do tons of exercise but some weeks I get that much and some I don't. That is how I try to keep my schedule.

Being in college and working I sometimes have other responsibilities like HOMEWORK or extra work shifts. However it usually looks like that and has since the beginning of january of this year.

So now u have my diet and my schedule...... begin the schooling:)

-peace-

Vido
04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Eating 1400-1800 cals MIGHT be fine for someone your size, although it is still damn low, especially because your metabolism is probably pretty fast to be the size you are. 1800 would be as low as I'd go ON A REST DAY. However, add in 600-800 calories burned and that's just ridiculous. If you want to end up looking like an Ethiopian child then you're on the right track. I don't understand why people want to look so skinny all so they can have their precious abs showing.

Ok, that was my rant. Now here's some advice.

1) Up the cals on the days you train (by at least 500)

2) Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

3) Eat more fats and less carbs.

4) Center the carbs mostly around your workouts.

5) Eat right up until at least an hour before bed, if not closer to bedtime.

6) Alcohol really doesn't have a place on a cut (or a bulk for that matter), but you have to have a life outside of the gym, so just keep it in moderation. However, that's only referring to frequency of drinking. If you're going to drink...do it right :D.

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 02:32 PM
I find it impossible to get 1 gram of protein per pound.

I eat tuna or chicken every day and drink at least 7 cups of milk and I still end up with no more than 125-135 grams for the day at the most.

I don't want to buy the protein shakes so I need other forms of protein.

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Vido

Why is that?

bradley
04-29-2003, 04:16 PM
I find it impossible to get 1 gram of protein per pound.
I eat tuna or chicken every day and drink at least 7 cups of milk and I still end up with no more than 125-135 grams for the day at the most.

I don't want to buy the protein shakes so I need other forms of protein.

First off if you eat protein at every meal you will find that getting 1g per lb of protein is much easier. Just divide your protein evenly over the number of meals you are eating.

Try throwing in some cottage cheese along with your tuna and chicken, as it is loaded with protein. You can also use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals and macronutrients.

bradley
04-29-2003, 04:19 PM

Why is that?

When dieting it is important to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of protein and EFA's (healthy fats). With that being said from the looks of your diet you are probably lacking in both so that would mean that you should decrease carb intake and increase fat and protein intake in order to stay at the 1800 calories a day.

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 05:37 PM

First off if you eat protein at every meal you will find that getting 1g per lb of protein is much easier. Just divide your protein evenly over the number of meals you are eating.

Try throwing in some cottage cheese along with your tuna and chicken, as it is loaded with protein. You can also use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track your cals and macronutrients.

lol

I was typing on fitday as I was reading you post.

I use that site every day. GREAT SITE.

Thats how I knew my calories and percentages.

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 05:44 PM

Well, this isn't that important unless you're on CKD. But it's better to get your carb sources for low GI foods, and take in some simple carbs after your workout.

Mic Soloist
04-29-2003, 05:49 PM

When dieting it is important to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of protein and EFA's (healthy fats). With that being said from the looks of your diet you are probably lacking in both so that would mean that you should decrease carb intake and increase fat and protein intake in order to stay at the 1800 calories a day.

I'm not asking this cuz I don't believe u..... I know what your saying is correct because I've been told this b4.

1. Why is it important to get fats and not carbs. I always heard fat in food was a bad thing???

2. What is the problem with a lot of carbs. I know they have to be burned b4 fat can, but anything else??

3. What are some "healthy fats" to look for???

4. What should my perfect breakdown be for 1800 calories????

THANKS

-peace-

Vido
04-29-2003, 09:19 PM
1) Your body NEEDS fat. It doesn't NEED carbs.

2) They serve less purpose than either of the 2 other macronutrients, and when you're eating so few calories to begin with, every last one counts that much more.

3) Fish oil, natural peanut butter, olive oil, almonds

4) First of all, you should be eating more than 1800 calories. However, if your goal is to shut down your metabolism completely and have an awful rebound effect when you begin to bulk again, by all means keep them low.

If you are getting 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight that is 158 x 4 = 632 calories

Then I'd say 70 g of fat (630 cals) and 135 g of carbs (540 cals). That's "roughly" isocaloric, and meets the requirements I laid out above.

bradley
04-30-2003, 02:56 AM

Well, this isn't that important unless you're on CKD. But it's better to get your carb sources for low GI foods, and take in some simple carbs after your workout.

When dieting getting adequate amounts of protein and EFA's is very important. Regardless if you are performing a CKD, TKD, NHE, balanced diet, isocaloric, etc.

bradley
04-30-2003, 03:38 AM
Posted by Lyle McDonald:

Because fundamentally bulking isn't really any more complex than
dieting.
You need to meet a few requirements.

1. Sufficient (slight surplus) of energy: comes from carbs and fats.
2. Sufficient building blocks for tissue synthesis: comes from protein.
3. Sufficient essential fatty acids (and total fat intake: for hormonal reasons)
4. Progressive overload training stimulus.
5. Time and patience.
6. A small pre-workout shake and a larger post-workout shake would also
be very helpful.

For dieting, change 1 from slight surplus to slight deficit and maybe
remove 6 (depends). Add some cardio if necessary.

The rest tends to be a lot of of micromanagement and detail work.
Which is how I can turn 6 pretty simple rules into a 300 page book.

Lyle

Just thought this was a good simple explanantion of dieting and bulking:)

complete thread
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=essential+fatty+acids+author:Lyle+author:McDonald&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=3DF65961.58CC6BA3%40onr.com&rnum=10

GhettoSmurf
04-30-2003, 04:40 AM
good find bradley

very useful

Ironman8
04-30-2003, 07:01 AM
1) Your body NEEDS fat. It doesn't NEED carbs.

No, it needs both.

bradley
04-30-2003, 08:19 AM

No, it needs both.

I have never heard of an essential carbohydrate.

Mic Soloist
04-30-2003, 08:22 AM
should i have a small preworkout shake and a large post shake even when cutting.

bradley
04-30-2003, 08:40 AM
should i have a small preworkout shake and a large post shake even when cutting.

If you read the bottom caption he mentions that #6 might need to be modified depending on whether you are cutting or bulking. IMO I would just have a regular whole food meal about 1.5-2 hours prior to training and then have your postworkout shake.

Ironman8
04-30-2003, 06:03 PM

I have never heard of an essential carbohydrate.

I thought he was implying your body doesn't need any carbohydrates at all.

Vido
05-01-2003, 01:44 AM

I thought he was implying your body doesn't need any carbohydrates at all.

It doesn't. Would it be a good idea to eliminate all carbohydrate consumption? No.