PDA

View Full Version : Low-carb diet more effective

Beast
04-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Thought this was an interesting read:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/453197

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 05:25 PM
Looks like I need an account. I don't want to sign on anything if it's not WBB :(

Scythian_Blade
04-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Looks like I need an account. I don't want to sign on anything if it's not WBB :(

Why not get an account??? Its medscape.

NDBeast,

Interesting read. I am pretty sure I have seen results similar to this replicated a number of times under similar circumstances.

The fact that these were obese women and no mention was made of exercise makes it less appicable to bodybuilders imo (I realize that comparison probably wasn't even your intention posting it)

The fact that fat loss percentage was markedly different is very interesting too.

Scott S
04-30-2003, 09:36 PM
I went to register, and found out that I'd already registered a long time ago(!)

Interesting article... seems to back up Atkin's claims.

- Scott

carolinagirl
05-01-2003, 07:55 AM
I didn't see it mentioned how low of a carb intake was ingested in the "very low-carboyhydrate" group. Did anyone else see this information? (ie, was it a true keto, or was it just lowered carbs?)

noraa
05-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Also these obese women were self reporting food intake, there was no control over activity (or no provision in the actual journal article)

I mean, 90-100kg women were 'maintaining' bodyweight on a 1600kcal high fat, high carb diet....
Reeks of under-reporting. And as people tend to under report fat, and over report protein, the caloric measurement is as accurate as guessing.

In calorically controlled dietary interventions, there is no real difference in weight loss between keto and a higher carb diet of the same energy intake.