PDA

View Full Version : Losing numbers more than weight?!?!?

Behemoth
04-29-2003, 05:08 PM
I've been dieting for 6 or 7 (I think) weeks now and I started at about 182-183 @ about 16%. I've been/am trying to take it slow to preserve as much muslce as I can.

Throught the first couple of weeks my weight initially dropped 5 or 6lbs. I figure thats mostly just water.

The weights been coming off pretty steadily probably about 2lbs per week since.

The problem is, as of now I'm about 168lbs @ about 14.5-15%. My strength has still been increasing on most lifts and on few is pretty much holding where is. So that and by looks I don't really think I've lost much muscle.

Maybe it's just an ego thing but when I was over 180 at about 16% I figured I'd get to about 8-10% around the weight of 155-160. At the rate I'm going now I'll be 140 by the time I get there.

My diet is a good 2400 calories, which puts me at over 14X bodyweight (not that that means anything). My macro's are never real steady put protein is usually at least 200g per day, and I'll usually rotate my carbs to have lowers days at around 100 and higher days at around 250 on training days. My diet has been perfectly clean and I've incorporated a one day refeed once per week. Also I've done no cardio so far, just 3 training days per week.

Any thoughts on why I'm goona be a batamweight by the time I look decent? Just lots of water?
:help:

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 05:12 PM
So, you want to burn fat? Or just lose weight? If you want to burn fat, you have to incorparate some cardio in your diet. Some people can be at 200Ibs. and have about 10% BF.

Vido
04-29-2003, 05:13 PM
There is nothing abnormal about the 5-6 lb initial water weight drop so you're completely fine there. However, albeit you may not be noticing the changes at the moment, I think you will soon realize you are losing more muscle than you think. I think if you lose more than a 1lb/week after the first week you are inevitably losing muscle. A quick calculation comparing your former weight and body fat with your current stats tells me you need to take it a little bit slower. Even with the first little bit being water, you shouldn't need to lose 14 lbs to lose 1-1.5 bodyfat at your size.

bradley
04-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Did you get the bf test done by the same person and using the same method? Could be a variance in the bf test maybe? Do you look visibly leaner in the mirror?

bradley
04-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
So, you want to burn fat? Or just lose weight? If you want to burn fat, you have to incorparate some cardio in your diet. Some people can be at 200Ibs. and have about 10% BF.

You do not have to perform cardio to burn fat or lose weight.

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 05:27 PM
I know you lose wieght on a calorie deficit, but does it also burn fat? I thought cardio was the only effective way to burn fat?

Vido
04-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Yes, your body burns fat when you are in a caloric deficit. One does not NEED to do any cardio at all to get quite ripped.

Behemoth
04-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Ironman, I want to burn fat only. If it was possible to just burn fat and not lose weight I'd be all for it, unforunately we all know that can't happen.

Vido, My maintence by trial and error is somewhere around 2600-2800. this puts me at 200-300 cals below. I was eating 2500 for the first several weeks then dropped it to 2400. I noticed no increase in fat loss but that's probably because my weight has decreased putting my maintence a little bit lower.

Bradley, I've always been fairly good at judging bodyfat by appearance. I guessed my bf was at about 15-16% towards the end of my bulk and right before I ended my gym got a digital one with that goes by grip (I know I don't trust it either). However, it calipered me at 16.1% and it has me cailipered now at 14.9%. I'd say I'm on the lower end of 14 though.

Anyhow, I've noticed slightly more cut quads, the vein in my bicep a tad more visible, slightly veinier forearms and a little less fat on my stomache. Basically what I'm saying is although it's possible, I very highly doubt I'm ANY lower than 14%. Even so 2% loss for 14lbs isn't really what I'm going for. I was hoping maybe a 1% per 4-5lbs early then hopefully less as I get leaner...

BTW, I agree no cardio NEEDS to be done to lose weight. For some people it can help get through slow times, and perhaps for people dieting for a show trying to get very lean... even though I wouldn't say it's necessary.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:09 PM
well, you could try HIIT cardio. or im sure there is information on fat-burning supplemts.

Behemoth
04-29-2003, 07:19 PM
I'm not worried really about how fast my fat comes off. The rate it's coming off now is fine with me. I'm just worried about why I've lost so much weight.

GhettoSmurf
04-29-2003, 07:32 PM
do you weigh yourself at the same times while wearing the same cloths?

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks for clearing up the stuff on cardio guys. I guess I should slow down my cardio since my lifting is vigerous enough.

AJ_11
04-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Cardio is the Best:) , ya I'm a cardio junkie. Besides the point I am kinda in your shoes, want to lose the fat and hold on to all the muscle that I can. I see the same as far as progress as you do, more cuts. It Have only went from 194 ->184 in 10-12 weeks but am leaner. In "most" areas.

How are you getting to your caloric needs for the day, what I mean what types of foods are you eating. I am kinda figuring out that some foods burn better than other and affect fatloss rather than weightloss.

Here are some tips that I am currently playing with to meet my goals:

EFA's(Flax, and fish) and olive oils, for instance, when I combine with a shake I notice that I sweat more and have alot more energy.

Also I know there is a large talk about refeeds and leptin levels. I actually find that this helps keep the weight on and fat burning going. I highly recommend them as I find that they are what keeps me going and gets me by the week.

If your strength has not dropped and visible fat loss is apparent then stick with it. Get the required nutrients and you'll get there. Sometime I think that I could do so much more but I have to have someone tell me that I look more "ripped" to get it imbedded in my head.

I don't know if this is going to help at all it is mainly here for moral support. And a look at what someone else is doing.

Good luck with your goals.

AJ_11
04-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Thanks for clearing up the stuff on cardio guys. I guess I should slow down my cardio since my lifting is vigerous enough.

If you like the cardio then do cardio, just don't go ballistic with it and think that you need it. Some people do, some don't it is really personal preference. It will help.

Vido
04-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Behemoth
I'm not worried really about how fast my fat comes off. The rate it's coming off now is fine with me. I'm just worried about why I've lost so much weight.

The answer is straightforward and I outlined it in my first post...you are losing muscle.

bradley
04-30-2003, 02:46 AM
It sounds as if you are going in the right direction, except that your cals might be a little low. If you think the weight is coming off too fast then up cals until you are only losing .5-1lb per week. You don't seem to be worried about how long it takes (which is a good thing), so just slow down the weight loss a bit.

The diet sounds like you have it planned out well, just continue getting ample protein and make sure that you are getting enough EFA's in your diet. Would be interested to hear how your progress, so let us know how it goes. Best of luck.

Behemoth
04-30-2003, 03:55 PM
AJ thanks for the "support" hehe.
Like I said my diet is very clean, proteins coming from chicken, tuna, venison, turkey mainly. Carbs are oats, whole wheat bread and some fruit here and there. Fats are olive oil, natty pb, nuts, and mayo. It's rare that I can convince myself to eat an M&M on any given day so junk food really isn't that hard for me to resist. I drink water every chance I get and piss between nearly every 40 minute period in school.
As I said I have a refeed once per week already incorporated. Perhaps I'll make that more frequent, maybe once every 6 days.
My strength really hasn't dropped, just last week I hit a PR on BP and moved up on db presses.

Vido, although I'm not outruling the weightloss being muscle I just don't really think thats what it is. My muscle don't appear any smaller anywhere and if they do it's probably just glycogen loss. That and my strength increasing just doesn't sound right to me, but who knows.

Bradley, as of today I've upped my calories to about 2600, I'll hold here for a week or two to see what happens.