PDA

View Full Version : Some CKD help please.

Jaylizbet
04-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Hi. I'm doing CKD at the moment but I haven't lost any weight over the last few weeks and I'm not sure why as I thought i was doing everything right (it seems I'm not though so I'm screaming for help. lol) The pant-o-meter and mirror show no change either. I have previously done BFL and CPB and started with NHE and CKD over the last few months. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ok, here is a bit about me. I'm 5'3, 82kg and around 35%bf.
Last week i was doing around 2000cals and my P/C/F ratio was 21/3/76. And was 104.88gm/13.66gm/169.64gm

Here is a typical day from last week.

2 Eggs, 25gm Cheese. Udo's choice

Caramel cheese cake (home made, has cream cheese, sour cream, eggs and sf syrup)

50 gm chicken, Cos Lettuce, 25 gm Mozzarella, 1 Egg Yolk, 25gm Bacon, Caesar dressing

Jelly and 75 ml cream

50 gm chicken, Cos Lettuce, 25 gm Mozzarella, 1 Egg Yolk, 25gm Bacon, Caesar dressing

Sometimes Id have 25ml cream and 6 strawberries in the evening.
Sometimes Id swap the chicken for steak. I also took a fibre supp.

I do the depletion workout on Friday night, carb load on Saturdays, workout again on Sunday morning then walk and do bellydancing for cardio through the week.

Thanks
Jayne

Ironman8
04-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Are you using ketostix? Maybe you're not on CKD mode yet.

Jaylizbet
04-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Yup, and they show trace to what-ever-is-the-next-one up. The thing is, I've been doing this for a few weeks so I'm obviously doing something wrong. If I can correct that I'll be fine (well, here's hoping :) )

Scythian_Blade
04-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I wish I could offer more advise, but I can't see too many things wrong with the basic parameters of your CKD there.

I think we can rule out a leptin related plateau as not being the problem. A couple of more questions. How long have you been dieting/cutting? What kind of success have you had with BFL and CPB. Same question about the NHE plan? My guess is that maybe if you have been dieting for months, your metabolism has just slowed and you might need to take a week or two off and do some extended refeeds etc.

As far as your diet, you can always throw in more fibrous veggies to help boost metabolism. As a general note, take a good look at your training program and make sure it is optimal. Are you noticing strength gains in your basic lifts (mainly barbell squats, deadlifts, heavy presses)? If you aren't overtraining, you can always add a little volume or more intense cardio etc. Just a couple of things to think about.

Jaylizbet
04-29-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I'll add more vegies and see how I go.

But to answer your questions:

I did pretty well with BFL and increase my strength a little bit (i'm still a bit of a wimpy lifter though :D ). I didn't do as well with CPB though as I was constantly starving on it, hated the workouts.

I have noticed that I am finding squats and deadlifts kinda easy at the moment and have just worked out how I can increase the weight on my bar without buying more plates. So I will be increasing everything this weekend.

I think this is my third week with CKD, I did 2 weeks half-hearted with NHE before that and lost the intial waterweight and worked my way through the initial exhaustion. (I have never slept so well. lol) At the start of the year I was doing the High carb/ extremely low fat thing and gained a heap. I feel a lot better doing CKD though.

I go on holiday next week for 2 weeks so I'm sure i'll be doing a lot of re-feeding during that time, so here's hoping that'll work.

Thanks

bradley
04-30-2003, 02:36 AM
How many cals are you taking in on your carb ups? Also looks as though you might be taking in more than 13g of carbs a day.

Caramel cheese cake (home made, has cream cheese, sour cream, eggs and sf syrup)

Most sugar free syrups contain sugar alcohols of some sort which could be the reason that you are only showing trace amount of ketones.

You could also try to cycle your calories throughout the week which might help to jumpstart weightloss. For example,

Monday-2000 cals
Tuesday-1800 cals
Wednesday-2200 cals
Thursday-2100
Friday-2000

You could also go longer without carbing up. I wouldn't go longer than 10 days as recommended by Lyle McDonald. Just some suggestions:)

raniali
04-30-2003, 12:25 PM
a few things i am concerned about : the sf syrup, jelly, strawberries and the amount of cheese and other dairy. all of these likely have some carbs -- but if your ketostix tells you otherwise, then i guess there is nothing to worry about.

my other concern is -- what do your refeeds look like? as doing the refeed correctly is just as important as remaining in keto. there are a number of factors to consider - but mainly i think the length of time of the refeed will make the most impact.

bradley
04-30-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by raniali
my other concern is -- what do your refeeds look like? as doing the refeed correctly is just as important as remaining in keto. there are a number of factors to consider - but mainly i think the length of time of the refeed will make the most impact.

Did not know if you saw this in the original post.:)

I do the depletion workout on Friday night, carb load on Saturdays, workout again on Sunday morning then walk and do bellydancing for cardio through the week.

*hides an Easter egg*

raniali
04-30-2003, 02:06 PM
ok - but what do the refeeds consist of????????

(i only search for easter eggs if they are filled with chocolate, btw)

Jaylizbet
04-30-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm not actually sure of the number of cals for my carb up but I have oatmeal, potato, bread (have to have vegemite on toast at least once), vegies and pasta. I never go hungry. :D

I put together a spreadsheet so that I could try to be as accurate as I could for all protein, carb and fat amounts. I checked calorie books and wesites to get the info, so i am pretty sure about the carb amount. With the sugar free syrup in the cheese cake, it 2/3 cup for the entire cheesecake which makes 12 serves. Could this really make a difference? I might ditch the cake for a bit and see.

I'll also try increasing my protein.

Thanks

raniali
04-30-2003, 04:05 PM
ur refeed is JUST carbs? no protein or fat at all?

are you doing a full-body workout on Sunday morning? i might think about doing a 2-day split so i could train harder overall (but then again, i LUV to train).

one other thing to try - is to drop cals by 100-200 on keto days.

Jaylizbet
04-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Sorry, I should have put that I do eat protein and fats on re-feeds, it's mainly chicken. I think I had some pizza last weekend.

I do the full body work out on Sundays because I have a class after work on Mondays nights and bellydancing on Tuesday nights. I get home pretty late on both nights. Plus I just like getting it out of the way. :)

greekboy80
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
drop all of the carbs that you eat esp. the sf syrup. try eating only meat products(eggs and bacon for breakfast, meat lunch, meat for dinner, low carb cheese for snacks). see if that gets you into ketosis. sometimes if you havent gone through an "induction phase" you body will try to salvage as much carbs as possible. try to up your cardio also, just some light, long duration walking. other than that i have no clue. if you cut the carbs correctly you body should be in ketosis. sounds weird!@