PDA

View Full Version : Collegelifter's New Workout Journal

Collegelifter
04-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Hey guys,

This is my online journal. Just to give some background. I have been lifting on and off for three months and this is my first step to being a serious lifter. I am following the WBB Routine 1 just as it is posted.

4-30-03

Chest and Back

Bench
115x8, 115x8

Incline DB
30x8, 30x8

Dips (assisted)
100x8, 100x8

Chins (assisted)
110x8, 110x8

Deads
90x8, 90x8

T-Bar Rows
80x8, 80x8

Shrugs
135x15

So overall I felt like it was a good workout. Yeah I know my strength is not great but it will come. Yeah this was the first time I have ever deadlifted. So my weight is weak I know. I got kinda sick to my stomach (like I was going to puke) after my first set of T-Bar Rows, so I went and sat down for about 5 mins. After I was feeling a little better I finished my workout. I weighed myself after my workout and I am 5'8" and 214.4lbs. My bf% is pretty high and I hope with some good eating I can get it down while still adding some muscle and strengt. So go ahead and let me know what you think of my first step to serious lifting. And if you have any suggestsions they are welcome. You guys have been at this a lot longer than me.

Collegelifter

Neil
04-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Good luck. Concentrate on adding a few lbs to each lift every week and you should see some great results. The main problem I see with the WBB routine is too much shoulder work, other than that I think it looks like a good place to start.

Meat_Head
04-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Good luck!

Just remember to go balls to the wall and work your ass off, then go home and eat right and get some rest. Add weight to the bar as much as you can!

WillKuenzel
04-30-2003, 12:36 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the weight you are lifting right now. Get the form down and make sure you are doing all the lifts correctly. Gradually work your way up in the weights and you'll really start to move along before you realize it.

Glad you are starting a journal and getting serious about it. Keep it up and don't let it falter and you'll be reaching your goals in no time.

And what's a new journal with out a little :spam:

JustinASU
04-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Hey man! Good to see you're finally getting serious about lifting. Once you really get into it you wont be able to go back. Workout looks good. The whole sick feeling will stop coming after a couple workouts; your body just isnt used to the workload you're putting it through. Keep up with those deadlifts though! They will become your best friend as a serious lifter. By the way...how bout putting up some info on your diet so we can evaluate it? Good luck bro'!

The Dream
04-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Good luck with the training. I agree, don't worry about what you're lifting now, just attempt to add small increments of weight over time. Progressive resistance is key.:thumbup:

Collegelifter
04-30-2003, 11:12 PM
So I am only doing two sets on these exercises. Should I be doing a warm up set?? I am trying to go pretty heavy for me b/c I am only doing 2 reps of low reps. (Keep the weight high so it is challenging). So let me know if a warm up set is a good idea.

Collegelifter

Neil
04-30-2003, 11:31 PM
I usually do around 15 reps with a light weight and then I will do 5 or 6 reps with one third to one half of my working set weight.

GhettoSmurf
05-01-2003, 05:42 AM
good luck withe the journal/workouts bro!

WillKuenzel
05-01-2003, 06:44 AM
I'm with Neil. I warmup with usually 2 sets before I start my working sets. Your working sets being the ones you posted. I tend to warmup before even getting started. Then I'll do a light weight about 6-8 times. Then a little bit heavier weight just 2 reps. Then I'll do my working sets pushing for 6-8 reps.

Your rep range looks good and doing 2 sets per exercise is preferable. Good luck with WBB routine 1. There have been many people here that have had some great results with it. Stick to it and you'll see results.

Collegelifter
05-01-2003, 02:12 PM
5-1-03

No lifting today. Off Day per WBB 1. And I am pretty sore. Didn't think I was going to be sore. It didn't hit me when I first woke up but I am sore. And some muscles that I didn't really work yesterday are sore. My Triceps and Hams are sore. B/c of the chest work and the deads I guess. My bis are not sore at all. So I must have just used my back which is good. My back is pretty sore more so than chest but Still I am good and sore all over. LOL

So lets talk about appropriate supplementation today and then on my next off day we can try to get the diet in the right place.

I have a protein supp, creatine, glutamine, and Ripped Fuel (TwinLab). So let me know how I can use these things to my benefit in my new supplementation program to go with my New workout program. So fire away guys.

PS. It kinda feels good to be sore if you know what I mean.

WillKuenzel
05-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Yes, being sore does feel good. Its a good pain. You'll grow to really love and savour that feeling. :D

About the supplements... eat healthy to begin with. Try to get in plenty of protein. As a rule of thumb try to get about 1gram of protein per pound of body weight. I normally have a protein shake upon waking with my morning meal and most certainly one directly after working out. Maybe one during the day as a snack or something and then maybe one more at night. Lots of 'maybe's' because it depends on how much I eat throughout the day.

The creatine I take about an hour before working out. Some do it different. There is a creatine stickey in the supplements section. You might want to go read through that. The glutamine I would really worry too much about but if you are going to take it mix it in with your post workout shake.

I take ripped fuel too. I take mine an hour before I think I'll be at the gym and doing my warmup. This gives it plenty of time to kick in. I would start with just 2 before working out for a while then eventually you might work up to following the directions on the bottle but I don't like to take that many.

Hopefully some of that helps you. Supplements are good but the most important thing is your diet. Concentrate on that the most.

Collegelifter
05-02-2003, 08:04 AM
So HomeYeild

Do you take the ripped fuel on off days too??

WillKuenzel
05-02-2003, 08:12 AM
No, I don't. I've found it hampers my appetite on off days too much for me to try and take it.

I usually have to have some other form of caffiene at some point during the day though because I'll get a headache if I don't.

Tank23
05-02-2003, 09:25 AM
CollegeLifter....that workout looks good man. Keep it up dude.

I'd give you some advice...but the fellas have already taken care of that. :)

-Tank

rookiebldr
05-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Hey, Collegelifter. Welcome to the site. The wbb 1 routine is solid for starting out here. I liked it a lot. It's based on a lower number of sets overall that can be good. The exercise choices in the routine are uber as well as the split. Pumping up the arm day makes you feel like a real curl-jockey. hehehe

HomeYield is bulking a bit at the moment so his use of ripped fuel may be different then yours if you are trying to cut. When I was cutting, then I took the ec spaced out through the day on all days.

Creatine, I always took right after the workout - lol as HY indicated, people are different and on rest days, first thing in the morning. (****, I forgot mine this morning!) Glutamine should help in recovery, I just mix with water or with my shakes when I was using it.

Anyway, keep at it, those lifts will gain quickly as the form gets better and your mucles learn what is expected of them. :cool:

Collegelifter
05-02-2003, 02:28 PM
5-2-03

Shoulder/Triceps/Biceps

Seated DB Press
27.5x8, 27.5x8

Standing Laterial Raises (with arms bent)
15x8, 15x8

Narrow Grip Bench
65x8, 65x8

French Press
30x8, 30x8

Barbell Curls
50x8, 50x8

Hammer Curls
20x8, 20x8

So Yeah I am not happy today. I feel like I could have done a good bit more. I took a friend today and he hurt his rotator cuff. He is much stronger and leaner than I. but I am not sure if we click as workout partners. I REALLY SUCK at this eating thing
I haven't eaten all day long. I guess dinner will be my first meal and that is not good at all. I reall need some help getting this diet/nutrition thing down and working for me.

SLEEP
8 hours
so that is good rest I guess.

Collegelifter

JustinASU
05-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Good workout but seriously dude...get your diet in order (I have no room to talk pancakes were park of my breakfast this morning) but you need to be eating every 2-3 hours. Make sure you get a gr of protein per pound of bodyweight. Breakfast is very very important and the meal people tend to skip a lot.

aka23
05-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Collegelifter
I REALLY SUCK at this eating thing
I haven't eaten all day long. I guess dinner will be my first meal and that is not good at all. I reall need some help getting this diet/nutrition thing down and working for me.

Fasting for such a long period can significantly interfere with gains and recovery. It is desireable to eat a least 4 meals a day. Eating six small meals would be even better. I imagine that being in college restricts your diet. Perhaps it would be helpful to keep some snacks in your room, so you would not be restricted by the cafeteria's hours.

rookiebldr
05-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Eat man, eat! Listen up to Justin and aka23. It will drive your metabolism so that you can fuel your workouts and if you are trying to cut, then that will go so much better as well. Your body won't need to store the food for the next fast.

As for your workout, looks great! Partners can be good to give you the right motivation, but if it doesn't click then wait and try again later. I feel for your partner though, rotator cuff injuries suck, it has kept me from bb benching for a long time and I can still feel a twinge it if I push it too much. I hope it wasn't too bad.

Collegelifter
05-04-2003, 12:08 AM
5-03-03
So today was another off day Per the wonderful WWB Routine #1.

So I will just let you know what I ate today b/c I am really bad at this. Well first of all I didn't really wake up till like 10ish. I went to get my hair cut like 40 mins away from here. And so a friend of mine and I went to eat at a meat and three. I had country style steak, slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy, pinto beans, and cornbread with tea to drink. That is some awesome southern country meal. and it was very good. So that was like at lunch time. Then for dinner I had a 12oz sirlion with fries and a salad and dinner rolls with of course sweat tea. SO like I said I REALLY SUCK at this eating/diet/nutrition thing.

So 5-6 meals a day?

3000 cals?

like 210-220g of protein??

How does one do it???

There are lots of times I don't b/c I am either not hungry or don't really have the time. I guess the best solution is to plan out the meals and just don't miss. But I don't really know how to plan. AHHHHHHH:) that is where you guys come in. So fire away oh knowledgable ones.

Collegelifter

Collegelifter
05-04-2003, 11:34 PM
5-04-03

Supposed to have worked out today but I didn't. It is sunday and I it was my last day at this church and they took me to lunch and to dinner. Also had a project to wrap up and didn't quite finish it either. So I will lift tomorrow. and then rest on tuesday and start over on Wednesday. So if you are reading this go back to 5-03-03 and post answers to that b/c there is nothing new except I am so bad at eating. But you knew that anyway. GOT TO GET SOME SLEEP. Got a presentation tommorrow and have to go see my kids. and finish a project in the morning.

So that is my life for the day. Sorry to have to share but I didn't lift so I had to put something.

Collegelifter

GhettoSmurf
05-05-2003, 05:05 AM
wel what do you have to work with?

foods containing protein - lean red meats, chicken, tuna, eggs, etc.

carbs- oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.

fats- natural PB, flaxseed oil, fish oils, etc.

bradley
05-05-2003, 05:58 AM
If you are trying to lose weight then you must first create a caloric deficit (burn more cals than you take in). Are you currently maintaining your weight? Have you tried to track cals to see about how many you are taking in on an average day? I would recommend doing this and a site like www.fitday.com is a good resource that you might want to check out. Once you find out your maintenance calories then you can begine to slowly drop cals which will be necessary in order to lose weight.

Like others have suggested you need to start trying to eat a meal about every 2-3 hours, even if it is just a small snack. Try to get a little of each macronutrient in each meal (protein, carbs, and fat).

Get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight and divide this total up evenly between each meal (granted you can eat more at one meal and less in another to make it more convenient). I would recommend lean protein sources like chicken, lean cuts of beef, fish, eggs, dairy products, etc. Also make sure and get some healthy fats in your diet like fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc. Fill in the rest of your cals with low GI carbs like oats, sweet potatoes, ww bread, beans, veggies, etc.

Use the protein supplement postworkout along with some high GI carbs which will help refill muscle glycogen after training. High GI carbs would include things like dextrose, maltodextrin, powdered gatorade, white bread, white rice, etc.

I had country style steak, slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy, pinto beans, and cornbread with tea to drink. That is some awesome southern country meal. and it was very good. So that was like at lunch time. Then for dinner I had a 12oz sirlion with fries and a salad and dinner rolls with of course sweat tea. SO like I said I REALLY SUCK at this eating/diet/nutrition thing.

Try and limit things like fried foods and sweet tea. These serve little purpose other than empty calories. Also I would avoid having dinner rolls with meals. You would be amazed at the amount of cals just one roll can contain.

Hope this helps somewhat and good luck with the journal. Training looks good so far:thumbup:

rookiebldr
05-05-2003, 09:51 AM
CollegeLifter, I don't think I'm all that clear on your goals after re-reading your journal. I may have missed it but I'm not seeing where you've decided that your are specifically cutting or not. You mention that you are 214lbs with high bf% and you are eating at 3000 calories.

As Bradley indicates, start by determining your maintenance level with the calories that you are consuming. Move to 5-6 times a day, then when you want to drop some weight eat less at each of the meals for a total drop of 250-500 cals.

Eating the empty calories like the sweet tea will force you to drop the good ones like protein, so when I started down this path, I made sure that I ate the protein first and let the carbs and fat take up the rest I also dropped all BREAD, reduced my pasta size to 1/4 of what I usually eat etc... Keeping track of each meal is the best way to go until you get handle on the number of calories everything adds up to that you eat.

Best of luck.

Mik
05-05-2003, 11:06 AM
I agree with Bradley and Rookie 100%. Your starting point should be to track your calories. Once you get used to eating every few hours it becomes habit. I try to spend a few minutes each night planning and organizing me meals for the next day. Whatever you do DON'T skip breakfast. I never really believed how important it was until I started having breaky then missed it a few times.

I always make sure I've got some food I can eat at my desk such as boiled eggs, chicken breasts, almonds etc....

Good luck with your goals.

Collegelifter
05-10-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey guys

Been a while since I posted any updates. There are no real updates that relate to lifting b/c I just graduated from College and I have moved back home. So the lifting has taken a back seat. Now that I am home the diet/nutrition should be RIGHT ON. (Hopefully, with the help of you guys) And I hope to get the training going well. I will be here to keep you guys posted. and If I do get slack please give me a swift kick in the rear. Um hope to get back into the lifting on Monday. Thanks alot for all your motivation.

Collegelifter

GhettoSmurf
05-10-2003, 07:15 PM
congrats with graduating from collage

Saint Patrick
05-11-2003, 02:05 AM
please give me a swift kick in the rear.

*kicks you in the rear*

get your a$$ in the gym do0d!!! Why wait until monday? I know sunday is mother's day, but I don't think she'll mind if you took an hour to go work out.

Good luck with WBB1. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

rookiebldr
05-11-2003, 06:03 AM
About time you started to workout. Mother's Day is the perfect day to go workout. I just let my wife sleep in while I go pump some iron. muhahahaha

Collegelifter
05-12-2003, 11:31 AM
OK I HAVE SET A GOAL and made some decisions.

I am officially cutting now.

My Goal is------I want to weigh 180lbs when I start my new job or start graduate school in August.

So I am 215lbs right now on May 12. So I have 3 months to loose 35lbs. I am trying to see what my maintanence calories are so that I can then decrease the calories so I can shed 35lbs in 12 weeks. I guess that is fesible. I am not sure let me know what you guys think.

Collegelifter

WillKuenzel
05-12-2003, 11:35 AM
I think that if you try to lose 35lbs in 12 weeks or are looking to lose quite a bit of LBM at the same time which isn't going to be ideal. Its possible but I don't its what you really want to do. I think that if you lost 12-15lbs of fat would be quite a bit more impressive than if you lost 35lbs of both muscle and fat.

Cutting is fine but most of it comes from your diet. Get that in order and you won't have any problems dropping off the fat.

What are your plans for your diet?

rookiebldr
05-12-2003, 11:53 AM
YEAH well done on setting a goal! Although cutting is great, it will in the end do you well, IMO.

That being said, CollegeLifter, I think 1-2 lbs a week is optimal on this cut which would work out to about 24lbs on the high end. Since you will be determing your current consumption levels now and figuring out what it will take to start losing. If you set your goal for 190 and make it past it a bit, then Great! No matter, start counting those calories to see where you are for today. :)

Mik
05-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Good luck CollegeLifter. Get your diet sorted out and you'll be off to the races. too think 35 lbs may be too high. You don't want to sacrifice too much lbm.

aka23
05-12-2003, 12:01 PM
OK I HAVE SET A GOAL and made some decisions.

I am officially cutting now.

My Goal is------I want to weigh 180lbs when I start my new job or start graduate school in August.

So I am 215lbs right now on May 12. So I have 3 months to loose 35lbs. I am trying to see what my maintanence calories are so that I can then decrease the calories so I can shed 35lbs in 12 weeks. I guess that is fesible. I am not sure let me know what you guys think.

Collegelifter

I would suggest aiming for losing about 1lb per week, and certainly no more than 1% of your body weight per week. Losing 35lb in 12 weeks may result in muscle loss (as opposed to fat loss), metabolism slowdown, loose skin, weight cycling, and other negative effects.

Coke
05-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Congratulations on graduating, best of luck in your pursuits! :cool:

Collegelifter
05-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks guys this is just what I need.

So I am fine with making my goal for august 190-195lbs. As long as I get under 200 I will be ok. Ok

August 2003- 195-190lbs

November 2003- 180lbs

January 2004- Start a SERIOUS Bulking Phase

Well my plan is this:

Once I get my maintanence numbers down I will then decrease the calories. I will train at least three times a week at the most four with weights. I will do cardio on lifting days after lifting for 15-20 mins. On off days I will do Cardio for 30-40 mins.

I will try to eat 6 meals a day with VERY HIGH protein. I don't know excatly what my macronutrient breakdown will be. That is something you guys can suggest.

So I guess I have a plan. Please assist in tweaking the plan as you guys have been doing so far.

Collegelifter

Collegelifter
05-13-2003, 08:43 AM
So I found out yesterday that I am eating way too many calories for cutting. I had like 4100 calories yesterday. Not to good for cutting. So I am going to shoot for getting down to 2000. I will spread it out over 6 meals. The percent breakdown was 41/26/33 (P/C/F) that isn't too bad. So I will keep you guys posted.

GhettoSmurf
05-13-2003, 11:45 AM
IMO you should slowly lower thecals. dont just drop from 4000 to 2000 in one day.

Mik
05-13-2003, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Try lowering slowly, keep tracking your calories and watch what your weight does. You definitely don't want a large drop in cals all at once. The macros look decent. Good luck.

rookiebldr
05-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Well, it looks like you have a plan. Great. As both GettoSmurf and Mik mentioned, you drop the calories a bit slower. You will get to 2000 just not in one week. I would suggest you get used to the lower calories slowly otherwise you'll feel like you're starving yourself.

So how did you do today?

Mik
05-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by rookiebldr
Well, it looks like you have a plan. Great. As both GettoSmurf and Mik mentioned, you drop the calories a bit slower. You will get to 2000 just not in one week. I would suggest you get used to the lower calories slowly otherwise you'll feel like you're starving yourself.

So how did you do today?

starving not good. Not to mention lack of energy from a quick drop. I'm just starting to get mine back after 4 weeks.