PDA

View Full Version : How do you tell if you're over/under training?

Skinnypunk
04-30-2003, 10:17 PM
Are there signs you can look for to tell if you're over or under training. I started working out just 3 times a week now and I feel like its not enough.

But for someone who doesn't have that much experience training, I'm not exactly sure how I'm suppose to "feel." You know what I mean?

PeterParker
04-30-2003, 10:24 PM
i suppose that if you were to under train you would not be making any gains in strength and appearance wise you wouldnt see any growing changes.[ muscle wise]
overtraining ago you wouldnt make to much muscle growth because your body is not resting and allowing for repair.

whats your training like at the mo, also whats your diet like.
if your diets not in check you wouldnt be giving your body the fuel it needs to grow.

thetopdog
04-30-2003, 11:10 PM
When I first started working out a few months ago, I would go to the gym basically every day. Before I knew what I was doing, I was benching 3 or 4 days in a row:) and still making progress.

I think that when you're a beginner you can make gains doing anything in the gym, if you don't have a set routine try going 4 or 5 times a week and just getting a feel for all the different exercises. Try to get a decent routine down soon, but if you have just started, just getting in the gym is the most important thing in my opinion

HahnB
05-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by thetopdog
When I first started working out a few months ago, I would go to the gym basically every day. Before I knew what I was doing, I was benching 3 or 4 days in a row:) and still making progress.

I think that when you're a beginner you can make gains doing anything in the gym, if you don't have a set routine try going 4 or 5 times a week and just getting a feel for all the different exercises. Try to get a decent routine down soon, but if you have just started, just getting in the gym is the most important thing in my opinion

I would say that if your just getting started the most important thing is to get in the gym and DO IT RIGHT, because you can make great gains when you just start to lift. How many days you train a week depends on your goals. Are you trying to lose or gain weight? Either way I'd shoot for 3-4 days in the gym and cardio and less cals if your trying to slim down. I'd stick with 3 days a week if your bulking and have 2 days of rest and the end of your week.

Ironman8
05-01-2003, 07:21 AM
IMO, overtraining is when you can't even move the next day :D

aka23
05-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Skinnypunk
Are there signs you can look for to tell if you're over or under training. I started working out just 3 times a week now and I feel like its not enough.

But for someone who doesn't have that much experience training, I'm not exactly sure how I'm suppose to "feel." You know what I mean?

If you feel like 3x per week is not enough, you could try a different split and see if it effects gains. The amount of recovery time needed can vary widely depending on factors such as workout intensity, genetics, and previous training. Some alternative splits are listed at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html .

Praetorian
05-01-2003, 11:16 AM
thanks for the link aka23!!

and ironman nailed it!

greekboy80
05-01-2003, 05:48 PM
a common sign of over training is eye twitches. some minor muscle spasams.

KoSh
05-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Uhhh, I do WBB1 and my eye has been twitching lately...

But I'm not having any muscle spasms...

Bah, coincidence. Getting too many gains for being overtraining.

GonePostal
05-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Since I have lowered my volume I have noticed less twitching :)

Paul Stagg
05-02-2003, 07:25 AM
Lack of progress.

greekboy80
05-03-2003, 12:37 PM
also take your resting HR in the morning directly when you wake up, dont even get out of bed...if its higher (5-10 BPM) than the week before(morning, directly after you wake) then you are over training.

KingJustin
05-04-2003, 09:18 PM
I was doing a high volume split for awhile and I was still making good gains (though I was a bit of a beginner), but I was pretty tired when I was lifting, even though my cardiovascular "strength" was good. My split was like arms, chest/back, legs, run, repeat...

Were my gains just because I was a beginner or could there be another reason?

MusclesMan
05-05-2003, 03:10 PM
I'm a beginner. I've been using the WBB 1 for 2 weeks now. I have the same problem, I feel that the WBB 1 is too little for me.

well, I feel the difference in my muscles, but I still think I can lift more than that. Should I increase the sets, reps or weights ??? or just continue with the original routine.